It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Curse
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:34 am 

Showtime series satirizing the husband/wife real estate mogul genre of reality TV.

One of the stars is Nathan Fielder. I have really enjoyed his work in on the spectrum comedy. I don't like him as much as an actor, but in all fairness, I don't think his role is designed to make me think he can act. I'll probably need to see him in something he didn't write for himself to not think he is a one trick pony. That one trick is very good, like Sasha Baron Cohen, but it can become monotonous for the viewer.

This isn't a knee slapper type of comedy like you'd get in early 2000s mocumentaries such as Best In Show. It's dark and enjoyable if you can enjoy that the husband and wife are destroying a lower middle class community (both purposely and not purposely) with the investment that it desperately needed. The show also deeply explores socio economic themes, in its many forms on a sub rosa level so as not trigger its MAGA consumers.

The show takes its name from a curse thrown on Fielder by a poor immigrant Somali family that is selling loosies of soda in a grocery store parking lot for survival. He gives a child $100 as a camera stunt and then takes it back when the cameras are off. He considers her curse seriously even after he learns it is nothing but a child's game on Tic Toc. We see as the show evolves that the couple isn't cursed. Their outcomes are a very foreseeable product of their actions and personalities throughout their lives.

It's slow, just like most of Fielder's work, but it picks up. I'm half way through and I'm glad I slogged through the over attention to detail of the early part of the show.

Post subject: Re: The Curse
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:41 am 

I'd like to add that we once again get full frontal of two different dudes, yet in a scene that would have naturally called for female nudity, its a near full cover up.

Can I also add as an aside, they make a very big point about Fielder being underendowed and its affect on his marriage. Meanwhile, Emma Stone is obviously underdeveloped herself, without mention. That would certainly come up in the marriage if one partner had a problem with the other's body. I would assume (since, of course, I'm packing a trouser snake) that each having flaws would make them appreciate rather than resent each other.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:36 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
You're a weird guy.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:12 am 

Tall Midget wrote:
You're a weird guy.

You don't know the half of it

but its not an aside in the show. They spend a good amount of time laboring over the issue in multiple episodes. His father in law also pulls his out in a private conversation between the two. It's a memorable part of the show.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:20 am 

pizza_Place: What??
good dolphin wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
You're a weird guy.

You don't know the half of it

:lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
Emma Stone is underdeveloped?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2024 1:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
good dolphin wrote:
I'd like to add that we once again get full frontal of two different dudes, yet in a scene that would have naturally called for female nudity, its a near full cover up.

Can I also add as an aside, they make a very big point about Fielder being underendowed and its affect on his marriage. Meanwhile, Emma Stone is obviously underdeveloped herself, without mention. That would certainly come up in the marriage if one partner had a problem with the other's body. I would assume (since, of course, I'm packing a trouser snake) that each having flaws would make them appreciate rather than resent each other.

You watch for the male nudity.