2) Poor Things
3) Oppenheimer
4) The Holdovers
5) American Fiction
6) Barbie
7) The Zone of Interest
8) Maestro

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:22 pm 

"killers" is most likely going to win a lot of awards. i go back and forth whether the academy wants to please the sycophants enough to give martin Best Director and "Barbie" Best Picture so Greta can still steal the show...she will most likely win the Screenplay award, and the sycophants will be mad that she has to share it with her husband.

i think actor goes to cillian. actress will be lily. supporting actor RDJ. supporting actress emily blunt. and the barbie song "what was i made for" will win over the ken song and the others.

social media will be abuzz with fake outrage, fake tears, and fake activism. i'm glad i won't see any of it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
W_Z wrote:
"killers" is most likely going to win a lot of awards. i go back and forth whether the academy wants to please the sycophants enough to give martin Best Director and "Barbie" Best Picture so Greta can still steal the show...she will most likely win the Screenplay award, and the sycophants will be mad that she has to share it with her husband.

i think actor goes to cillian. actress will be lily. supporting actor RDJ. supporting actress emily blunt. and the barbie song "what was i made for" will win over the ken song and the others.

social media will be abuzz with fake outrage, fake tears, and fake activism. i'm glad i won't see any of it.

This feels like a Vito post complaining about the Score. “I hate everything about it and don’t listen, but here’s what I think about it”.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:32 pm 

pizza_Place: PizzaHut
Maestro was the biggest piece of shit. I don't know why that was nominated. It was like watching paint dry.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
Are any of them good or worth seeing? We thought about putting Oppenheimer on a few weeks ago but didn't have the time to dedicate to it.

We got into a discussion about movies. It's weird how much it's changed in the last 20 or so years. We saw Maverick but it shouldn't really be a best picture movie. We liked Bohemian Rhapsody but it felt a little documentary behind the musicish or something. I loved Manchester By the Sea and thought of that as a good AA movie and it would have been great without Kyle Chandler. I don't think we really saw much else in the last 10 years. I don't know what Hollywood is doing and there are no actors like there used to be. No teen movies, no comedies, no action movies, not a lot of universal dramas, it all feels very blah.

It's weird how generations are almost isolated now too. This used to be something I'd watch with my parents or talk about with family. We all knew the movies and we all knew the actors. My kids have little interest in it and in some of the more recent years I've thought who's that actor or never heard of that movie and my parents are more detached than I am.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 12:01 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
W_Z wrote:
i go back and forth whether the academy wants to please the sycophants enough to give martin Best Director and "Barbie" Best Picture so Greta can still steal the show...she will most likely win the Screenplay award, and the sycophants will be mad that she has to share it with her husband.

I watched Barbie on Saturday night and my hot take is that Greta Gerwig absolutely should have been up for Best Director but absolutely not for Best Screenplay.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 12:09 am 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
I thought Barbie was a mess of a movie. I'm still not clear on the point but I don't think they were either.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 12:32 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Spaulding wrote:
I thought Barbie was a mess of a movie. I'm still not clear on the point but I don't think they were either.

It was all pretty incoherent, but I thought the strangest part was that the Kens in Barbieland are supposed to be analogous to the women in the real world w/r/t being second-class citizens, but when the Kens seized power, they revealed themselves to be superficial, incompetent, and self-defeating. Is that what they think women would do, or are they just saying "the Kens symbolize women up until the point they don't at which time they symbolize men"? I DON'T KNOW, but we didn't need ten years' worth of reddit arguments to be made into a movie, no matter how cool it did look on screen.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 5:44 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Hoping to catch a few nominees over the next month. Maybe The Holdovers this weekend. Oppenheimer is definitely near the top of my list. Barbie is on Max so I could see that as well.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 6:24 am 

pizza_Place: PizzaHut
The hype over Barbie is ridiculous. It's what we used to call a comedy before Hollywood self censored themselves because they didn't want to offend 5 people on Twitter.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 8:52 am 

Spaulding wrote:
Are any of them good or worth seeing? We thought about putting Oppenheimer on a few weeks ago but didn't have the time to dedicate to it.

We got into a discussion about movies. It's weird how much it's changed in the last 20 or so years. We saw Maverick but it shouldn't really be a best picture movie. We liked Bohemian Rhapsody but it felt a little documentary behind the musicish or something. I loved Manchester By the Sea and thought of that as a good AA movie and it would have been great without Kyle Chandler. I don't think we really saw much else in the last 10 years. I don't know what Hollywood is doing and there are no actors like there used to be. No teen movies, no comedies, no action movies, not a lot of universal dramas, it all feels very blah.

It's weird how generations are almost isolated now too. This used to be something I'd watch with my parents or talk about with family. We all knew the movies and we all knew the actors. My kids have little interest in it and in some of the more recent years I've thought who's that actor or never heard of that movie and my parents are more detached than I am.

I used to go to a movie at least once a month. It would be like a fall back position if we had nothing to do. I may go 3X per year now and its not even a consideration. I still like the theater experience but nothing really moves me when I look at what's playing.

My kids never go

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 8:57 am 

blackhawksfan wrote:
The hype over Barbie is ridiculous. It's what we used to call a comedy before Hollywood self censored themselves because they didn't want to offend 5 people on Twitter.

I put it in the same kind of talk as Black Panther being considered best picture and I loved Black Panther

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:00 am 

I've seen oppenheimer and killers of the flower moon. The former was pretty good and the later was bloated. Both could have spent less time telling their stories.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 12:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
The Holdovers was a very good movie. I enjoyed Paul Giamatti and Da'Vine Joy Randolph's performances. I didn't care for her character in Season 3 of Only Murders in the Building, but she was very good in this.

I've watched the first two hours of Killers of the Flower moon. I don't know why this movie is 3.5 hours long.

I would at least like to see Oppenheimer and Barbie before the Oscars.