All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Curb Your Enthusiasm
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:24 am 

pizza_Place: Little Caesar's
Curb Your Enthusiasm returns Sunday.
No, I'm not talking about the Bears game, I mean the show on HBO. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:32 am 

looking forward to it...but i have a feeling the routine's gonna get more tired.

listening to garlin and his "wife" on the show on NPR...and some of the things they're setting up...sounds very familiar.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:40 am 

Well, I hope they can keep it fresh. I saw a clip on Letterman last night, where Larry hugs one of the women they take in from Hurricane Katrina, and he starts getting a boner, or at least she thought he did. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:33 pm 

wow, a old grumpy man, how hillarious. I really dont get the love for this show.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:06 pm 

Chuckle Nuts wrote:
wow, a old grumpy man, how hillarious. I really dont get the love for this show.

Thanks for the valuable contribution to this thread.
Your opinion will sway the viewing habits of millions. :roll:
Unless your intention was to have the fans of the show attempt to convince you to watch it :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:28 pm 
1000 CLUB

Some people just don't enjoy or get the show I guess. I love it. Bearison loved Seinfeld but hates this show. Why, I have no idea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:32 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Deep Dish: Giordano's
hawkeye wrote:
Some people just don't enjoy or get the show I guess. I love it. Bearison loved Seinfeld but hates this show. Why, I have no idea.

I have an idea, or at least a possible insight as a Seinfeld watcher who does not particularly enjoy Curb Your Enthusiasm. From what little I've seen of the show, it seems like all of the same jokes, but delivered with zero of the charisma that the four stars of Seinfeld were able to perform with.

http://www.TheCommittedIndian.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:50 pm 

Stinkfinger The Crow wrote:
hawkeye wrote:

I have an idea, or at least a possible insight as a Seinfeld watcher who does not particularly enjoy Curb Your Enthusiasm. From what little I've seen of the show, it seems like all of the same jokes, but delivered with zero of the charisma that the four stars of Seinfeld were able to perform with.

Really?
Of the top of my head I can't think of one joke or plot that has been recycled.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:58 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Deep Dish: Giordano's
Like I said, I haven't seen much.

http://www.TheCommittedIndian.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:32 pm 

Mustang Rob wrote:
Chuckle Nuts wrote:

Thanks for the valuable contribution to this thread.
Your opinion will sway the viewing habits of millions. :roll:
Unless your intention was to have the fans of the show attempt to convince you to watch it :?

sorry, I'll spend more time thinking about what to post on this sausage fest of a message board.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:39 pm 

hawkeye wrote:

My guess is that "Seinfeld" has an ensemble cast that balances each other out, whereas "Curb" relies solely on the character of Larry David. He's George without a Jerry. Sure he's got Jeff, but Jeff is more of a muse than he is a counterpart. And his wife, while being right or sometimes the voice of reason, Larry ends up doing what he wants anyway.

Even fans of "Seinfeld" resented George's character, because he was always putting himself in these bad situations, and making himself the victim, the way Larry does. I think people are put off by it.

That's what I've observed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:04 pm 

pizza_Place: None
I really enjoyed this show the first season or two, but in my mind, it faded fast once it became too big and full of itself.

Maybe the exact story lines aren't repeated, but how much mileage can you ultimately get out of Larry David's dilemmas? I think the reason Seinfeld lasted so long successfully is because they had four strong characters to build shows and story lines around.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:12 pm 

Mustang Rob wrote:
Stinkfinger The Crow wrote:
hawkeye wrote:

Really?
Of the top of my head I can't think of one joke or plot that has been recycled.

Jeff staring at the back of a seat on an airplane, a la Puddy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:13 am 
1000 CLUB

I love the show too. Some are better then others but they all have been entertaining. Very unique writting and it's defidently a top 5 sitcom in American television in my mind. He touches on things that only David can come up with. It's satire but it's also David making commentary on the stupidity of life and people.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:05 am 

I love Sinfeld. IMHO it was the best TV comedy show of all time, but I really don't see major similarities between it and Curb, other than the circular plot lines which happens to be Larry David's influence on Seinfeld. (Something seemingly inconsequential happens early in the plotline, and has a major impact later on. Sponge cake, Passion nail, titleist golf balls...).

Besides the ensamble cast vs. a star, the other major difference is that Curb has no scripted dialog. The scenes are outlined, and the actual dialog is completely improvised much like the Guest movies (best in show, waiting for guffman...). That in itself makes it a unique show.

I'm not going to argue that Curb is in the same class as Seinfeld, cause it's not, but it's funny on it's own merit in a very fresh kind of way.
Must see TV at the mustang house.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:48 am 

I've always thought of Curb as an "unsanitized" version of Seinfeld.

Like the characters in Seinfeld, Larry David on Curb seems to easily find trouble in a seemingly innocent situations, usually caused by someone overreacting to what someone else said or did (just like in real life).

However, in Seinfeld, they only pushed the envelope so far (the most risque episode: "The Contest"). In Curb, thought, things get a little more, for lack of a better term, nastier (like when Larry gets one of Cheryl's pubes caught in his throught :lol:).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:25 pm 

I thought it was a strong start for the new season.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:30 pm 

If you guys haven't seen this past sundays episode, you've gotta check it out. It was the best of the season so far. The ending is hilarious (don't wanna give it away...) :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:03 pm 

pizza_Place: None
I must say, it's been good to see this show again--I took about a five-year hiatus after I think the second season. But it's been a pleasant surprise so far this year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:28 pm 

Another solid episode this week. I'm glad Larry finally got rid of that dead weight. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:19 pm 
1000 CLUB

Yes. This last episode was great. Larry talking to himself at the restaurant was some funny stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:23 pm 

I guess nobody saw this week's episode yet. Most cringe-worthy episode of the year. Try to catch it; I wonder what you guys think of it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:48 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Damn, I thought that was the one with the flower stealing. Can't wait to feel uncomfortable again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:18 pm 

You stabbed her in the stomach Larry!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:31 pm 
1000 CLUB

I thought this last one wasn't creative or clever. It was the easy comedy route.

Black people catch Larry quoting somebody else using the N word. They just catch him saying the N word without knowing the context. Then all hell breaks loose. That's an easy comedy bit to write. Larry getting an errection while hugging somebody. Stupid. Then they have the doc shave his managers head just to advance a "bald racism" plot. It made no sense why the Doctor would do that. Keep it.

I know it's a stupid comedy show. But Larry David just threw this one together.

The worst one of the season. The previous ones were more creative.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:13 am 
1000 CLUB

Everyone who I disagreed with a month or two ago about this show was right and I was wrong. It is no longer funny at all for me and I can't understand how I ever liked it. Maybe it's gotten worse or I've just figured out it sucks but it used to be one of my favorite shows and now it sits on my DVR and I dread watching it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:18 am 
1000 CLUB

No. If you liked it you liked it. You weren't wrong. It's an instant reaction so don't doubt yourself.

I still like it but not as much. I guess becasue I can anticipate what's gonna happen now because I'm used to the style.

But there is no doubt the first 3 seasons were the best. That's usually the case for most shows.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:29 am 

The part with Jeff's shaved head was really stupid. So was the "n" word part of the episode. Stabbing Auntie Rae in the stomach was pretty funny, though. It'll be interesting how the show turns out when the plot focuses on getting Cheryl back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:20 pm 

Bulldog Scott wrote:
The part with Jeff's shaved head was really stupid. So was the "n" word part of the episode. Stabbing Auntie Rae in the stomach was pretty funny, though. It'll be interesting how the show turns out when the plot focuses on getting Cheryl back.

I agree with the part about Jeff's shaved head. Why would the surgeon shave his head, whether or not he was upset at what Larry had said. It never made sense to me.

What I found out was that Jeff (in real life) was making a movie around the time they were filming that episode, and he had to have his head shaved for the part, so that's why they found a way to write it into the show. Still, it seemed pretty stupid, and if a surgeon was upset too much to work, they would have just gotten someone else to do the work, or he would have just sucked it up and focused on his job. That part was lame.

the whole n-word part, you could see coming from a mile away. As soon as Larry went back to tell his date (who played the OHenry candy heiress on Seinfeld) what the guy said, I knew he was going to quote him exactly, and that someone was going to overhear it and get pissed. You would think he'd know better than to say it. Even for Larry it was too stupid, just like the thing with the loud talking while looking at the freak book.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:24 pm 

That was Sue Ellen Mischke?