It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 3:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Movies You HATE
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:06 am 

So we've gone through the treads of our most treasured movies of all time--so what are the ones that you just absolutely HATE? I know for Nas and Woodridge Ryan, my beloved "28 Days Later" is on that list, and apparently, "Hard Candy" would be somewhere on suckers playground's list.

Here's some that I abhor the existence of:

"The Crow: City of Angels"

"The Matrix Reloaded"

"The Passion of the Christ"

"Be Cool"

"Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace"

"The Lost World: Jurassic Park 2"

"Pearl Harbor"

I'm sure others will come to me as this thread continues...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:43 am 

pizza_Place: Boboli
I would think that sequels should be excluded from this thread. Very rarely is a sequel as good as the original.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
ET

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Little Caesar's
Happy Feet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:29 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
It's a Wonderful Life

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:47 pm 

pizza_Place: art of pizza
I can't bring myself to see pretty much any contemporary horror movie because I went to college and think too much about context. It just strikes me as a little too convenient that there's a kind of perverse hero worship/Stockholm syndrome involved with watching our culture's beloved butchers act out fictional, stylized torture on screen at the same time that our nation's leaders can't decide where to draw the line on real torture perpetrated by its forces at home and abroad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:50 pm 

Oh, yeah, and Dirty Dancing is probably the worst movie I've ever seen next to Titanic; no surprise that I saw both under the influence of high school girlfriends.

Also, Cronenberg's Naked Lunch was pretty terrible in an entirely different way. No amount of pot could have made that movie bearable for its duration.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:34 pm 
1000 CLUB

For me, this list begins and ends with one movie: Vanilla Sky

I'll never get back that two hours of my life, and the worst part is.... I WAS ON A FLIGHT - it's not like I had anything else to do, other than clean my pipes flyin' solo on the Mile High Club.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 10:34 pm 
1000 CLUB

suckers playground wrote:
I can't bring myself to see pretty much any contemporary horror movie because I went to college and think too much about context. It just strikes me as a little too convenient that there's a kind of perverse hero worship/Stockholm syndrome involved with watching our culture's beloved butchers act out fictional, stylized torture on screen at the same time that our nation's leaders can't decide where to draw the line on real torture perpetrated by its forces at home and abroad.

So you're saying college graduates can't watch horror movies? Or only a "thoughtful" college graduate such as yourself?

Are you aware that there's a significant amount of scholarship discussing "contemporary horror movies"? And that this scholarship is generated by people holding doctoral degrees?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:16 am 

i was clearly kidding at my own expense. this is how 10 page arguments begin, misunderstandings like this. who in their right mind would say "...because i went to college" with a straight face?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:00 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
The beauty of this list we are putting together is that some of our favorite movies are being mentioned by others. It's A Wonderful Life? Really? Are you serious? To each his/her own which is the cool thing about movies/music. W_Z is blown away by my 28 Days. I'm going to welcome sequels because we are talking about movies we hate, not necessarily the worst movies of all-time. There are plenty of bad movies out there I don't actually hate, they just suck. I didn't think The Matrix was all that great like everyone else. The next two movies to follow sucked even more. None of them really pissed me off necessarily. Here's 8 movies I could think of that I absolutely hate in no particular order.

28 Days Later - The thing about this movie is it had some pretty interesting scenes, especially the beginning. I think somewhere in that crap there's a good story that just wasn't executed well. I also thought the production of the movie was decent - cinematography, editing, stage, and art. Maybe that's why I was so pissed at this movie. The pieces were in place and it fell flat on it's face for me.

The Perfect Storm - More like The Perfect Fuckin' Most Boring Movie ever. I saw this in the theater and I told my buddies that this movie sucked and I'm purposely going to sleep so don't bother me. I slept through the last 20 minutes or so. I've been told I missed nothing. I absolutely hated this movie.

Cool As Ice - As I was a Hammer fan growing up and anyone who liked Ice more...well I took it personally. I hated this movie with a passion. As I got older I saw it on TV and realized it was basically a rip-off of Rebel Without A Cause which pissed me off all the more. Of course this movie was bad, but this movie is definitely hated by me.

Batman Forever - I'll actually watch this movie if it's on because I like Jim Carrey's part in it. However, I hate this movie for many reasons. First this movie was not done by Burton and thus began the beginning of crap out of this particular Batman franchise. I couldn't stand that Gotham City had 500 different colors in it suddenly. The movie was just too damn colorful for me. Val kilmer freaking smiled in the Batman suit. That jut pissed me off to where if I see that scene at anytime I'm immediately pissed for the next ten minutes. Batman doesn't smile in his suit the way he did unless it's a smirk or something. God I hate that scene. Tommy Lee Jones's Two Face character was completely underdeveloped and the reasons for how he came to be don't even come close to the actual story. Absolutely awful.

Batman and Robin - Yep, another Batman movie. Sorry. This time George Clooney's Bruce Wayne pisses me off to no end with his most boring, dull, depressed and downright suicidal Wayne of the series. The Batman suit now has nipples. Enough said.

Godzilla (1998) - For some reason I was really looking forward to this movie. Hey, I was 18. This movie was absolutely awful and I should have known something was up when Matthew Broderick was headlining it. This movie was just really bad and I don't even want to talk about it anymore because it was a huge disappointment. I haven't seen the new King Kong movie because this one pissed me off so much.

Lost In Translation - I'm about to get some major heat for this. Oh well. I bought this movie without seeing it. Maybe I'm not intellectual enough to get it, but I was so bored watching this one. I tried and tried and tried to stay awake for this movie. It took me four times to finally watch it all the way through. Somehow I felt the acting was fine in it. It's just that the story didn't do much for me. Maybe I couldn't relate to it. A friend of mine who has worked in Japan for long periods of time really enjoyed it. I'm sure there's something there I am missing too. Either way, the reason I hate it is because Bill Murray is in it and I was bored somehow. That just shouldn't happen...ever. And I paid for it. I did trade it in after finally making it through the movie.

Cold Mountain - Now here's one of those movies that personally pissed me off. My girlfriend was coming into town for the weekend and she really wanted to see this movie. I went to all the rental places: Blockbuster, Family Video, random ma and pa places - All rented out. So, I go to Wal-Mart and buy the piece of shit for $19.99. It had just come out on DVD so I got burned on the price. She comes in. I told her I got it for her. Happiness, good things. Then we watch it. She falls asleep half way through it. I somehow make it through the whole thing. I'm pretty sure Jude Law had something to do with her wanting the movie. I don't find Zellwegger or Kidman to be all that great looking. My girlfriend is asleep for the night. You know where I'm going with this. F everyone involved in that boring ass, piece of shit movie. Oscar worthy performances my ass....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:36 am 

Woodridge Ryan wrote:

Lost In Translation - I'm about to get some major heat for this. Oh well. I bought this movie without seeing it. Maybe I'm not intellectual enough to get it, but I was so bored watching this one. I tried and tried and tried to stay awake for this movie. It took me four times to finally watch it all the way through. Somehow I felt the acting was fine in it. It's just that the story didn't do much for me. Maybe I couldn't relate to it. A friend of mine who has worked in Japan for long periods of time really enjoyed it. I'm sure there's something there I am missing too. Either way, the reason I hate it is because Bill Murray is in it and I was bored somehow. That just shouldn't happen...ever. And I paid for it. I did trade it in after finally making it through the movie.

You won't get any heat from me, but I feel like we hate it for different reasons. It's boring but beautifully shot, though definitely in a "trendy" way, no ground was broken with the cinematography and if anything this should have been the end of the "still, contemplative shot" in indie films that have enormous budgets for so-called indie films. I also love My Bloody Valentine (the use of "Sometimes" over that driving scene is great) but the Kevin Shields portions of the soundtrack were terrible. This is just one of a few films that came out between 2002 and 2005 that I felt "duped" by - I loved it when I saw it in theatres, and then it came out on DVD and there was so much hype that I began to hate it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:39 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Lost is somewhat like 28 Days for me in which there were proponents of the movie I like (cinematography, a couple of scenes), but as a whole it didn't entertain me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:59 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Dukes of Hazzard - the only movie I have ever seen in theatres that I left in the middle of.

To rock my soul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:54 pm 

"28 Days Later" is one of my favorite movies in the last 10 years, but it's a movie I can understand other people hating. I thought it was pretty clever, and I'm a huge Alex Garland fan, and knew what he was going for. I liked "Sunshine" for the same reasons, but I would think if you didn't like "28 Days Later" you wouldn't like "Sunshine" either...but "Sunshine" didn't really generate any buzz.

"28 Weeks Later" was impressive to me as a sequel because it somehow was even darker than the first one, and didn't just seem to be the same movie over again; it had some interesting perspectives as well, and I thought it was pretty well done.

"Lost in Translation" I liked less the second time I saw it but still thought it was a strong movie. Not as strong as "The Virgin Suicides" but still a good effort from Sofia Coppola.

Speaking of the indie soundtrack stuff, I'm surprised there hasn't been a movie's soundtrack inked by Bright Eyes yet. You know when I even just pass his stuff at Best buy, I already feel 10% more pretentious.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Quote:
who in their right mind would say "...because i went to college" with a straight face?

I would, and you know why? That's right, because I went to college!!!

:roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:08 pm 

Die Another Day...really put a damper on the glory days that was the Brosnan-era Bond. Worst bond theme song ever, worst plot ever (pretty much a rehash of Diamonds are Forever, a plot that was itself not very good), worst opening sequence ever, worst action sequence (Bond parachute/snowboards off a melting glacier?!?!, worst everything...I wish I could pass it off as an unofficial Bond offering like Never Say Never Again, but oh well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:20 pm 

Anything starring Mary-Kate or Ashley-Olsen.

Anything with Jimmy Kimmel.

Any romantic comedy with Dane Cook.

The Simpsons Movie.

Any CGI film created that's not done by pixar.

A warrior is not afraid to bloody his sword.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:24 pm 

Quote:

The Simpsons Movie.

Any CGI film created that's not done by pixar.

I gotta disagree with these two picks...I thought The Simpsons Movie was pretty good...and I apparently forgot how to read...oops...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Geo's Pizza
I thought the simpsons movie was hilarious! Right from the start, you kill off green day.

Im curious if others feel the same way, but I thought Mystery Alaska was bad. The premise was bad, Russel Crowe didnt fit well and when the team loses to the Rangers, it disappoints greatly.

The first National Treasure was also really bad. I thought they had ridden on the back of the success of the Da Vinci code and essentially through a really poor plot together. A poor usage of Harvy Keitel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:23 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Deep Dish: Giordano's
Crystal Lake Hoffy wrote:
Im curious if others feel the same way, but I thought Mystery Alaska was bad. The premise was bad, Russel Crowe didnt fit well and when the team loses to the Rangers, it disappoints greatly.

The Rangers are starting to breathe through their mouths.

http://www.TheCommittedIndian.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:08 am 
1000 CLUB

suckers playground wrote:
i was clearly kidding at my own expense. this is how 10 page arguments begin, misunderstandings like this. who in their right mind would say "...because i went to college" with a straight face?

I guess I'm a little too slow to pick up on the awesome cleverness of your obvious joke. Something tells me you've got a little NSJ in you....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:21 am 
1000 CLUB

Nas wrote:
NSJ has been missing for a while.

Missing....but not missed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:43 am 

Just thinking of movies that I shut off or left early from:

Flatliners - Good cast, but just awful premise and I was never into the movie.

The Devil's Own - For a movie you think would be a thriller, this was a complete dud with a tired concept.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:14 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Nas wrote:
NSJ has been missing for a while.

J had his Night of 100 MILFs and was never heard from again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:23 pm 
1000 CLUB

Maybe he's procuring more insider Bulls info from the emissions testing station.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:27 pm 

Cabin Fever was the worse movie I have ever seen,what a waste of money.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:35 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Black Sheep

Hey, let's make Tommy Boy again - except make it not funny.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
Dodgeball, because watching someone get hit in the nuts with a ball 100 times is funny :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Hut
Liar Liar
Big Momma's House
Baby Boy
School Daze
John Q

Kid Cairo: 2013 March Madness Tournament Winner!

"Cowabunga? Cowa fucking piece of dog shit! This game is diarrhea coming out of my dick!"