It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 219 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:52 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
W_Z wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
I absolutely love the original Halloween and rarely miss an opportunity to watch it when it's on TV. It's transmogrification of suburban loneliness and isolation--the long, spacious tracking shots of empty side streets littered with darkened homes are an especially effective use of the landscape to develop the film's ominous mood--into social pathology is quite interesting. While the film most obviously reacts against sexual freedom, it is also a partially realized meditation on the context in which that freedom can occur--on the kind of society that provides the space for such loneliness and the adornments to mask it. Halloween is in many ways a cinematic masterpiece.

i thought i was reading too much into the way it was shot. :) i think it's one of the best atmospheric and true horror films ever made. after i saw 'the thing' i thought...maybe this is John carpenter's best. But then I rewatched "halloween" and its simplicity and undertone approach is just pulled off so well. I love the scenes of Michael just watching...it's great stuff.

Agree 100%. The "omniscient" camera work seems to spring from Michael's psychotic surveillance in the way it lingers too long on prosaic details, turning the innocuous into the terrifying. Love it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
Agree with both TM and WZ on Halloween...probably not only my favorite horror movie, but one of my favorite movies of all time...

I also enjoy watching the original Halloween 2 on AMC because they always show the "Rick Rosenthal version" with the alternate ending.

And Halloween 3, although it has nothing to do with Michael Myers, is still good in itself and has one of the most digusting death scenes ever....

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:35 am 

i just watched h3 last night for the first time in...probably like 15 years. it has one of the nicest soundtracks in a horror movie. i love carpenter's synthesized stuff; it was very close to ennio morricone's ST for "the thing", too. very minimalistic.

it would've worked great as an hour long "episode" of something...that's what it felt like. just not enough story for a feature length film; but spmack if you're talking about the scene with the kid in the mask, you're right...it really is kind stomach churning.

i like the last scene, too. reminded me a bit of "invasion of the body snatchers" (the original).

was flipping back and forth between that and "child's play 3" which is still an hilarious romp of campiness. i just love the line: "Just think. Chucky's gonna be a bro."

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:10 am 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
I don't know how you guys watch this stuff. I read this thread last night and stayed up an extra hour. Freaked me out.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:28 am 
1000 CLUB

Hey Spmack, Biography channel did and "Inside Halloween" show. I'm sure they'll rerun it or it might be on Demand. I didn't see it but I saw the "Inside Silence of the Lambs" and liked it.

Did you guys know that Gene Hackman owned the rights to "Silence" and was gonna play Hannible Lector? Then he decided to sell the rights. Also, Michelle Phifer was their first choice to play Clarice. She declined the role and they went with Jody Foster. When they were filming they didn't think Hopkins and Foster were gonna pull it off. Funny, cuz those two might have pulled off some of the greatest one on one dialogue scenes in the history of cinema when it was all said and done.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:32 am 

I just saw that there was a discussion of Halloween 3 here too.

How can you overlook just how bad many of the things were in it?

It could have been great but there are 5 or 6 things that totally ruin the whole movie. I thought the ending was terrible but then again I don't know how you really end it. I don't like it when movies spend 2 hours building up to something and then they don't answer what actually happened at the end and instead it's a "cliffhanger".

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:22 pm 

I was skimming my Comcast OnDemand menu a few days ago and noticed that one of my old favorite god-awful B-movies was watchable for no charge. "Night of the Creeps" features Tom Atkins of "Lethal Weapon" fame and the kid who played Rusty in the second Vacation movie. Lots of bad special effects, cheesy acting, pointless plot and one of my all time favorite movie lines that the Asian janitor Mr. Miner delivers with a heavy-handed accent during the interrogation scene.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:38 pm 

"night of the creeps" was a late night "up all night" movie for me growing up along with "ticks", "squirm", "class of nuke 'em high", and "the toxic avenger" among others. loved the hell out of seeing rusty from "european vacation" in it.

it's made by fred dekker who also did "the monster squad".

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:46 am 

Spaulding wrote:
I don't know how you guys watch this stuff. I read this thread last night and stayed up an extra hour. Freaked me out.

My other is the same way. I can't watch horror movies at home and I have no one who will go with me to the theater. I get stuck having to go to cut out of work early and go to horror movies by myself. I feel like one of those Chris Hanson predators walking into a theater for the last matinee of the day dressed in work clothes with on one else around.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:11 am 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
good dolphin wrote:
My other is the same way. I can't watch horror movies at home and I have no one who will go with me to the theater. I get stuck having to go to cut out of work early and go to horror movies by myself. I feel like one of those Chris Hanson predators walking into a theater for the last matinee of the day dressed in work clothes with on one else around.

Nice pimp hand there. :lol:

I'm okay with the gore and laugh at most of the plots or goings on but the psychological parts really get to me especially at night time. It's weird.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:55 pm 

man after 65 years, "Dead of Night" still holds up as one of the most effective and strange horror anthologies ever. it's so damn eerie. this is definitely one of those that would keep spaulding up.

some of it's kind of humorous but the last two stories and the climax are really effed up. great stuff.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:56 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Enjoyed The Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown cartoon last night. Not really
my favorite Charlie Brown but I hadn't seen it in years so it was fun.
I got a good chuckle out of Charlie Brown's ghost costume with 20 eye
holes in it and the fact that he got rocks instead of candy in his bag.
I can relate to feeling like that sometimes.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:11 am 

my favorite part is when schroeder is playing the piano and watching snoopy's expressions during it is hysterical.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's Pizza
It's very rare to mention the names Bud Abbott & Lou Costello, let alone see one of their classic comedy movies on Chicago TV anymore. That's the plan tomorrow night at 9p on WCIU 26 The U & 1a on WWME 23 MeTV, as Rich "Svengoolie" Koz features the return of "A & C" to his popular horror movie show.

It's the 1948 Universal horror-themed comedy where the Wolfman tries to warn a dimwitted porter, played by Costello, that Dracula wants his brain for a monster's body. Bela Lugosi & Lon Chaney, Jr. also star in one of the most popular monster movies of all time and one of those films that WCIU & WWME's parent company Weigel Broadcasting recently re-acquired the rights to air.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
SHARK wrote:
It's very rare to mention the names Bud Abbott & Lou Costello, let alone see one of their classic comedy movies on Chicago TV anymore. That's the plan tomorrow night at 9p on WCIU 26 The U & 1a on WWME 23 MeTV, as Rich "Svengoolie" Koz features the return of "A & C" to his popular horror movie show.

It's the 1948 Universal horror-themed comedy where the Wolfman tries to warn a dimwitted porter, played by Costello, that Dracula wants his brain for a monster's body. Bela Lugosi & Lon Chaney, Jr. also star in one of the most popular monster movies of all time and one of those films that WCIU & WWME's parent company Weigel Broadcasting recently re-acquired the rights to air.

You lost me at WCIU

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:32 pm 

sjboyd0137 wrote:
SHARK wrote:

You lost me at WCIU

SHARK is going to gut you.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:34 pm 

I thought I gave a little substance for my post about "Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein" which airs tomorrow night in "Svengoolie's" dungeon...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Douchebag wrote:
sjboyd0137 wrote:
SHARK wrote:

You lost me at WCIU

SHARK is going to gut you.

meh

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:22 pm 

Why didn't I think of this? Tonight at 6:30p, ABC Family, DIRECTV 311, features Jim Carrey and Cameron Diaz in 1994's "The Mask". There's quite a scene where Jim's character pays tribute to Fred "Tex" Avery. You may not know Avery by name, but if you grew up on classic Warner Bros. & MGM cartoons in the 1930s & '40s, he directed a bunch of cartoons for the 2 studios including the very first Bugs Bunny cartoon, 1940's "The Wild Hare".

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
Leprechaun :Back 2 tha hood???? are you fucking serious? Is this real? So far it is... and its on right now, BET.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:31 am 

Urlacher's missing neck wrote:
Leprechaun :Back 2 tha hood???? are you fucking serious? Is this real? So far it is... and its on right now, BET.

That's probably the best "worst" of them...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:32 am 

what was even better than anything on last night was watching AVGN's "Monster Madness" on cinemassacre.com. Damn that guy's good.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:34 am 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Sandra Lee is on food tv doing some halloween special and her boobs are damn near spilling out of her costume...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:38 am 

Zack, I'm pissed that AMC no longer shows the Halloween 2 Alternate/Extended Scenes version anymore. I could have sworn I taped it on VHS a while back, but I cannot find it.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:55 am 

really? i got it on now...i haven't seen halloween 2 in years. can't wait for part 3 to start! :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:02 am 

W_Z wrote:
really? i got it on now...i haven't seen halloween 2 in years. can't wait for part 3 to start! :wink:

:lol: I bet if the movie would have been named just Season of The Witch, it would get higher reviews.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:11 am 

is that spmack's uncle working at that gas station?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:35 pm 

i'm bumping this again but there isn't as much to list, unfortunately. this has been a fun thread to re-read.

October 24

IFC
7:00pm - "Near Dark"

TCM
8:00pm - "Carnival of Souls"
9:30pm - "A Night at the Movies: The Horrors of Stephen King"

AMC
8:00pm - "Halloween"
10:00pm - "Halloween III: Season of the Witch"

October 26

TCM
5:45pm - "The Bad Seed"

October 27

ABC
7:00pm - "It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown"

AMC
8:00pm - "Halloween III: Season of the Witch"

October 29

TCM
2:15am - "Motel Hell"

AMC
8:15am - "Bride of Frankenstein"
2:00pm - "Halloween"

October 30

TCM
7:30am - "White Zombie"
6:00pm - "Forbidden Planet"

October 31

TCM
9:30pm - "Night of the Living Dead"

AMC
8:00pm - "Halloween"

November 1

TCM
2:00am - "The Haunting"
4:00am - "Repulsion"

Now, I haven't checked other listings yet...probably I will as we get closer...but it's pretty slim pickins as of yet. I'll update as I find more.

Last edited by W_Z on Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:48 pm 

I was waiting for this. Thanks Zack. I always say you can't piss on hospitality.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:52 pm 

do you want some...joshua?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 219 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next