It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:46 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4685 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115 ... 157  Next
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:01 am 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
When Tywin tells Arya how to properly pronounce M’Lord as a pretending low-born girl.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:02 am 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
"We can arrange to have you carried."

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:09 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
When Tywin tells Arya how to properly pronounce M’Lord as a pretending low-born girl.

Great moment. The Arya/Hound scenes were probably my favorite.

Brother Ray was memorable too. Violence is a disease. You don't cure the disease by spreading it to more people.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:19 am 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
FavreFan wrote:

Great moment. The Arya/Hound scenes were probably my favorite.

Brother Ray was memorable too. Violence is a disease. You don't cure the disease by spreading it to more people.

Every Tywin/Arya scene was gold.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:21 am 

The Jamie/Brienne scenes were also great.

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:23 am 

Bronn and then Oberwyn's trip down to Tyrion's cell would be very high on my list too. That's not a monster, that's a baby.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:29 am 

You are both right. I love this show.

Funny how none of these scenes we’ve mentioned have Dany or Jon Snow.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:31 am 

True, but I'm a bigfan of Jon Snow. Everything isn't always about charisma.

I thought this past season was easily the worst but I'd put his "and then words don't mean anything" speech to Dany as one of his better moments.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:37 am 

FavreFan wrote:

True, but I'm a bigfan of Jon Snow. Everything isn't always about charisma.

I thought this past season was easily the worst but I'd put his "and then words don't mean anything" speech to Dany as one of his better moments.

It was definitely Jon’s best moment.

And a bit of Tyrion’s...and partly Dany’s.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:47 am 

I’ll throw a final great scene out there for the night -

Jamie in the Stark cell talking about oaths that they make you “swear and swear”...great precursor to the Brienne bath scene.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:55 am 

Yep, one one of the better moments of his redemption arc.

I'd be remiss to not mention "All I ever wanted was the freedom to make my own mistakes" as one of the best lines of the series.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:57 am 

Now I sort of want to ditch Halt and Catch Fire and rewatch GoT. probably a bit late in the night to try and rewatch a whole series though

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:57 am 

FavreFan wrote:

I'd be remiss to not mention "All I ever wanted was the freedom to make my own mistakes" as one of the best lines of the series.

You got me on that one. What was it?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:01 am 

FavreFan wrote:

Mance Rayder explaining his philosophy to I think Jon snow. I might have accidentally paraphrased the line but I think it's very close.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:04 am 

FavreFan wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

Mance Rayder explaining his philosophy to I think Jon snow. I might have accidentally paraphrased the line but I think it's very close.

Sounds right.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:06 am 

Apparently I inversed the quote

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uMce9ZARhR8

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:10 am 

FavreFan wrote:
Apparently I inversed the quote

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uMce9ZARhR8

Sounds right.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:09 am 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
Super gay not to mention Emilia Clarke's assets. That being said I agree with everything posted so far about this current topic.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:34 am 

Every Tywin/Arya scene was gold.

veganfan's thoughts are very well rounded, and i'm glad that even though he "binged" the show, he was able to reflect on it. he mentions that maybe the depth is lost because the source material is all dried up at this point. i think that can be a factor, but consider those Tywin/Arya scenes. they didn't exist in the book. tywin and arya never had a relationship of any kind. that was completely made up for the show.

maybe having that source material as a backbone was what strengthened the writing, and now you're seeing what they're like without the training wheels...and the disappointing thing is that they are kind of exposed.

that's what concerns me about "confederate". are these writers really up to task with something that is always going to be *constantly* walking a fine line?

veganfan mentions "moral ambiguity"--that's pretty much what the pulp, the meat of the theme of "song of ice and fire" is. when you read history, without a bias, you see that "hero" and "villain" can be twisted and molded however you choose. the starks turn the whole "history is written by the victors" thing on its head.

right now i'm knee deep into "outlander" so i have put this show to bed for now...but there's another show that relies upon source material. and fortunately, it's not going to lap the novels. at least, it doesn't look that way. and you can tell, even though that show has clear villains and heroes, that it helps the show immensely as far as depth.

not to say this show can't be as good *without* the books as a resource; i'm just not sure these writers are as good as maybe they thought they were.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:41 am 

They aren’t the writers though. GRRM is the writer. These guys signed on 10 years ago to adapt his books and he stopped writing them.

Now they have to write his ending. Good point on those Tywin/Arya scenes. Gives me hope they can actually do it. The Robert/Cersei scene on season 1 was filler also because they were short on time and one of the best scenes of the season.

I have hope.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:42 am 

I think WZ already touched on this but I thought Jon hooking up with Daenerys (sp?) was unnecessary. Didn't make sense within the logic of the show to me. We all know the writers want us to want them to become the royal couple next season, especially after that suggestive conversation about her fertility. Guessing it's going to be Snow being the one with issues due to the whole death thing.

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:43 am 

GRRM is a whole other story. but as far as i know, he isn't in charge of the story anymore. these guys did a great job adapting his work; they're not doing a great job of writing it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:46 am 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
veganfan21 wrote:
I think WZ already touched on this but I thought Jon hooking up with Daenerys (sp?) was unnecessary. Didn't make sense within the logic of the show to me. We all know the writers want us to want them to become the royal couple next season, especially after that suggestive conversation about her fertility. Guessing it's going to be Snow being the one with issues due to the whole death thing.

My guess is, Jon becomes Azora Hai(sp?) and sticks the sword into Dany's heart.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:48 am 

W_Z wrote:
GRRM is a whole other story. but as far as i know, he isn't in charge of the story anymore. these guys did a great job adapting his work; they're not doing a great job of writing it.

But I don’t think they ever wanted to “write” it. He forced them to because he never finished the books and I doubt he ever will.

I think he will leave the TV show to be “his” ending.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:52 am 

veganfan21 wrote:

Their relationship was something fans wanted for quite some time before it happened. For w/e reason the hive mind seems to be turning on that previous desire.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:53 am 

They aren’t the writers though. GRRM is the writer. These guys signed on 10 years ago to adapt his books and he stopped writing them.

Now they have to write his ending. Good point on those Tywin/Arya scenes. Gives me hope they can actually do it. The Robert/Cersei scene on season 1 was filler also because they were short on time and one of the best scenes of the season.

I have hope.
I'm no writer but it's much easier to start and continue a story than it is to finish it. Don't people already complain the last book was worse? Grrm could have finished the books and it's probably the same.

Jon and dany was the whole storyline from book one. They had to finally get there and when you create such a vast world you have to make it make sense.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:55 am 

Jbi11s wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:

Their relationship was something fans wanted for quite some time before it happened. For w/e reason the hive mind seems to be turning on that previous desire.

It was the whole point of the books. GRRM wrote it as the big storyline was jon and dany. I don't get that criticism.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:55 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:

I have hope.
I'm no writer but it's much easier to start and continue a story than it is to finish it. Don't people already complain the last book was worse? Grrm could have finished the books and it's probably the same.

Jon and dany was the whole storyline from book one. They had to finally get there and when you create such a vast world you have to make it make sense.

Bingo.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:06 am 

Also don't forget that the books were supposed to end with the Red Wedding. Even he wasn't planning on being able to tie this all up.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:07 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:

It was the whole point of the books. GRRM wrote it as the big storyline was jon and dany. I don't get that criticism.

Not complaining about them ultimately getting together, just about the way they went about executing that story. For example, I thought the [platonic] affection Jamie and Brienne share for one another was very well done - that came together quite nicely over time. Personally I don't feel that way about Snow and Dany even though we know, as you said, it's a core story in the books.

2013 CSFMB ROY

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4685 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115 ... 157  Next