It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4685 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 157  Next
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
There will be a 15 minute sneak preview of the first episode of Game Of
Thrones at 8pm Sunday April 3rd. This will be the first 15 minutes of the initial
episode for the series that kicks off April 17th. This may become available
at HBO.com after the initial running so stay tuned if you don't have HBO.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:08 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
:cry: :cry: :cry: I'm going to have to see this thread bumped every week and realize I am going to have to wait until the DVD release. I wish I wasnt a cheap SOB.

Winter is coming....

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Old World Pizza in Melrose Park
Hank Scorpio wrote:
:cry: :cry: :cry: I'm going to have to see this thread bumped every week and realize I am going to have to wait until the DVD release. I wish I wasnt a cheap SOB.

Winter is coming....

I called Comcast yesterday and asked for Customer Retention Dept. Said I wanted to lower my bill and saw that new users get a promo deal on the same package I have PLUS free HBO for 6 months. I was able to lower my bill by $20 and get the free HBO. You can do it Hank!

Oh...Eastern Illinois. They contacted me. I didn't take the entrance exam because I had 64 crayons instead of 3. But I loved going through Central Illinois. Watching people on bad cooked up Tide is the best.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:58 am 

Hank Scorpio wrote:

Winter is coming....

You are welcome to watch it at my house every week but I doubt it is worth the gas. :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:56 pm 

Hank Scorpio wrote:

Winter is coming....

In a weak pimp handed moment, I was talked into cancelling cable for Lent.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:04 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:

Winter is coming....

In a weak pimp handed moment, I was talked into cancelling cable for Lent.

:lol: Very unlike you to let your pimp hand go limp Dolphin.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
I really want to be excited for this show, but I can't for some reason.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Jbi11s wrote:

Why?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:09 pm 

Terry's Peeps wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:

Why?

He must be a Lannister....

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:10 pm 

:lol:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:19 pm 

Hank - call Comcast already and get HBO free. Do it.

Oh...Eastern Illinois. They contacted me. I didn't take the entrance exam because I had 64 crayons instead of 3. But I loved going through Central Illinois. Watching people on bad cooked up Tide is the best.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:23 pm 

I have AT&T, I dont know if they will let me do the same ploy. I did find out that my sister-in-law has HBO so either we are hanging out there on Sundays or I will figure out a way to scam it online.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:34 pm 

actually as i'm reading the book, i'm starting to feel like the series won't hold up, either. the story is very ordinary, so far anyway. i love the way it's written, but nothing's really surprising me or anything.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:54 pm 

W_Z wrote:
actually as i'm reading the book, i'm starting to feel like the series won't hold up, either. the story is very ordinary, so far anyway. i love the way it's written, but nothing's really surprising me or anything.

How far through the book are you? If you have gotten to page 150 and haven't been surprised by something then you may have skipped a section...

The things I do for love.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:26 pm 

duh, i knew bran would FALL.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:59 pm 

Looks like it might be a decent show but I've been thinking of canceling my subscription. I think HBO needs this to be a smash hit. Their more recent television series' have not been that good in my opinion. I used to enjoy Big Love but got sick of it the last 2 seasons and didn't even watch the last episode, just read a plot summary online. Entourage has sucked for a couple seasons. True Blood is too soap operay and full of man candy. Tried watching Treme but didn't find it that engrossing. Boardwalk Empire was hyped to holy fuck by HBO and I only found it mildly entertaining. Certainly not anything I would set aside time for on a Sunday night to watch.

Game of Thrones reminds me of two shows I did like, Carnivale and Rome, which were canceled after two seasons for low ratings and because the production costs for both shows were very high. Thrones seems like it might go that same route. But you know lets keep turgid dogshit like Arliss on for a decade. :puker:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:22 am 

pizza_Place: I vehemently disagree
W_Z wrote:

Dude... we used to be friends. I love these books. Give it time. The intrigue is off the charts. The character development is phenomenal. The interplay between politics and religion gets pretty intense by the third book.

By the way, it looks like George R.R. Martin finally has a publish date for A Dance with Dragons in July. Great stuff.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:26 am 

I'm almost done with the 4th book now and I have to say after the awesomeness that was 3rd book I have been very underwhelmed by the 4th. In fact if I wasnt already hooked by the first 3 books I might have given up on this one. Too much Cersei, she annoys the ever loving piss out of me.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:33 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
you guys have pretty much settled it for me....i'll watch the show and if it's interesting, i'll read ahead of it. if not, the book will sit on a shelf.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:04 am 

Frankly, I loved the books so much that the TV series will almost definitely disappoint me. Nonetheless, I'm like a kid in the candy store counting down the hours until I can see the House Stark in action.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:17 am 

Hank Scorpio wrote:
I'm almost done with the 4th book now and I have to say after the awesomeness that was 3rd book I have been very underwhelmed by the 4th. In fact if I wasnt already hooked by the first 3 books I might have given up on this one. Too much Cersei, she annoys the ever loving piss out of me.

Fourth book is a bit painful because you only hear about half of the characters. In the first three books, George wrote everything essentially chronologically, and told the story from the point of view of several characters. However, book 4 (A Feast for Crows) was taking waaaay too long and getting waaaaay too big, so George decided to split the book in two (I'm sure his editors had a hand in that too). You'll get the 5th book (essentially the other half of book 4) on July 12th... fortunately that will have the stories of the most interesting characters in my opinion... Danerys and John Snow.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:33 am 

My_name_1s_MUD wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:

Fourth book is a bit painful because you only hear about half of the characters. In the first three books, George wrote everything essentially chronologically, and told the story from the point of view of several characters. However, book 4 (A Feast for Crows) was taking waaaay too long and getting waaaaay too big, so George decided to split the book in two (I'm sure his editors had a hand in that too). You'll get the 5th book (essentially the other half of book 4) on July 12th... fortunately that will have the stories of the most interesting characters in my opinion... Danerys and John Snow.

Plus after Book 3 things had to settle down again and pieces fall into place. Book 4 is much more political and there are some great parts in there with the Martells and all their maneuvering. The Brienne stuff was a bit slow I thought but the Cersei stuff was really well done. The reverse parallels between her and Jaime is good stuff. I think a re-read of it you will catch alot more.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:44 am 

My_name_1s_MUD wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:

I was wondering why he dropped Danerys completely. That storyline was getting to be my favorite as well.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:14 pm 

From wiki

"According to Martin, his manuscript for the fourth novel in the series had become too large to publish in a single volume. Rather than simply split it in half and publish it as essentially "Part 1" and "Part 2," Martin decided to split the book by character and location. Published in 2005, A Feast for Crows is narrated primarily by characters in the South of the Seven Kingdoms and in the new locations of the Iron Islands and Dorne. Characters in the North and across the narrow sea will be featured in A Dance with Dragons, although Arya Stark and Asha Greyjoy will appear in both volumes.[citation needed]

Approximately one-third of the published A Dance with Dragons will consist of material that had been written for the pre-split A Feast for Crows, although much of this has been rewritten by Martin.[17]

In 2009, Martin confirmed that, contrary to earlier statements, Sansa Stark will not appear in A Dance with Dragons; Sansa chapters initially slated for the novel have instead been pushed back to The Winds of Winter, which is planned to be the sixth book in the series.[3] In early 2010, Martin noted that his intent for A Dance with Dragons was for the first 800 manuscript pages to cover the alternate characters in the same time span as A Feast for Crows, and that "Everything that follows is post-Feast, so that's where some of the cast from the last book start popping up again."[4] Stating that "I wanted to resolve at least a few of the cliffhangers from Feast," Martin also mentioned the possibility that some of his finished chapters might get pushed to the next novel, The Winds of Winter, depending on the length of the finished manuscript for A Dance with Dragons.[4]"

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:32 pm 

pizza_Place: Il-Forno in Deerfield
It has been so long, that I will have to reread the first four. I'm hoping he has a plan for how to end the series, that was my biggest problem with Robert Jordan's Wheel of time series. The last three books he wrote before he died were beyond terrible...the guy who took over after he died has actually written the two best books of the series. Let's just hope that Martin finishes the series sooner rather than later.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:35 pm 

It has been nice for me to read them because I just started and havent had to wait for a new book. I would have been very disappointed if I was a fan from the beginning and was looking forward to A Feast of Crows being published... it makes me nervous about being excited for the 5th book.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:38 pm 

ohhh...man. i got it.

CSFMB Game of Thrones Premiere Viewing Party...ok we gotta find a castle.

Find some aurochs, some capons, roast them, make salads with nuts and sweetgrass...some pigeonpies. Just an entire feast, along with the snails with the honey, and plenty of mead and wine.

who's with me??

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:48 pm 

W_Z wrote:
ohhh...man. i got it.

Find some aurochs, some capons, roast them, make salads with nuts and sweetgrass...some pigeonpies. Just an entire feast, along with the snails with the honey, and plenty of mead and wine.

who's with me??

I know one castle where I dont want the feast to happen.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:50 pm 

http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/chicago-real-estate-getting-real/2011/02/oak-brook-castle-still-looking-for-king.html

Good enough?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:59 pm 

W_Z wrote:
ohhh...man. i got it.

who's with me??

In. Buttery lemon capon... mmmm...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4685 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 157  Next