It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4685 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 157  Next
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:01 am 

pizza_Place: I vehemently disagree
From Entertainment Weekly:

HBO confident 'Game of Thrones' will get second season: 'We're not nervous' -- EXCLUSIVE
by James Hibberd

HBO’s lavish fantasy epic Game of Thrones may be the biggest TV gamble in years, but even before the drama premieres Sunday night, odds are favorable that HBO will renew the show. Showrunners David Benioff and Dan Weiss have been told to start thinking about storylines for next season, while HBO series chief Sue Naegle tells EW network executives feel optimistic that the series will get another round.

“We’re not nervous about it,” she says. “We’re all hopeful for a second season. We’re all feeling confident creatively.”

The bullishness isn’t just about predicting healthy ratings (though success on that front isn’t entirely unlikely either). Subscription-based HBO, Showtime and Starz focus on delivering exclusive and premium content that you can’t find anywhere else rather than mammoth Nielsens. That’s why procedural cop-doctor-laywer dramas (which draw big numbers for broadcasters) are rare on the pay networks — they’re not considered unique enough.

Thrones is arguably the most ambitious fantasy TV series ever produced and comes with an enthusiastic pre-built fan-base who devoured George R.R. Martin’s bestselling novels. It’s precisely the type of programming HBO believes viewers will pay to see — on the air, and also in the equally important home video and international distribution marketplace.

Plus, with the first 10-episode season of Thrones costing at least $50 million, the show ranks as one of the more expensive first TV seasons ever produced. The network has scheduled 11 airings of the premiere episode across its six channels during the first 26 hours after its debut. The amount of start-up capital spent bringing the mythical land of Westeros to life makes having only a single season a rather worrisome proposition. Says Naegle: “You don’t want to see shows like this that are a big investment do one season and out.”

Another, lesser factor is the relationship between the network and the producers on the show and how difficult the production and script development process has been. “And Thrones has been a dream,” Naegle says.

Still, nothing is set in stone. No matter how much momentum there’s behind the show, or how quality-driven and multi-platform-based the business model, HBO still needs Thrones to deliver a certain number on Sunday nights to continue. And its relatively large budget is a double-edged sword: Thrones ratings need to be stronger than a Treme or an In Treatment or The Wire — HBO shows that received renewals based largely on critical acclaim. But given the success of True Blood and AMC’s The Walking Dead, high-quality, adult-targeted genre shows on cable have recently proven they can indeed deliver enviable numbers, and strong early reviews suggest Thrones might have what it takes.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
I set my DVR to record this, but I have no idea what this show is about. From what you guys are saying it sounds like its based on a book?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:10 pm 

pizza_Place: Il-Forno in Deerfield
Yes, the book "Game of Thrones" by George R. R. Martin. It's the first book in his fire and ice cycle. The series is pretty bad ass.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
Psycory wrote:
Yes, the book "Game of Thrones" by George R. R. Martin. It's the first book in his fire and ice cycle. The series is pretty bad ass.

What's it about? Is it like a poor man's Lord of the Rings? I never heard of the series. Should I read it before watching the show, is it that good?

And keep in mind that these days I generally only read comic books or books about zombies so a book better be really really good for me to step outside those genres.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
shakes wrote:
Psycory wrote:

What's it about? Is it like a poor man's Lord of the Rings? I never heard of the series. Should I read it before watching the show, is it that good?

And keep in mind that these days I generally only read comic books or books about zombies so a book better be really really good for me to step outside those genres.

It is great. jackref told me about it originally and I picked it up and gave it a whirl. Lord of the Rings is a poor man's version of these books.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:02 pm 

I am really biased, but I genuinely think that these are the best books of this genre. Tolkein had clear "good" characters and clear "bad" characters... and only a small number who actually dealt with temptation. Martin creates a world that is far more realistic. People aren't all good or all bad. He can take a seemingly horrible person (like Jaime in the book) and redeem him in later chapters. And while Tolkein created a rich world, Martin takes it a step further and delves into politics and religion and much more adult themes. Sometimes I think Martin gets a little gratuitous with the sex (rape scenes, etc.), but you can't say he doesn't paint a rich picture of this world. And I've never seen better character development... particularly given the huge amount of characters in these books. They are definitely worth the read. 800 pages fly by... no joke.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:06 pm 

This article is kinda interesting. Shows how crazy some of the fans are. Myself included:
http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2011/04/11/110411fa_fact_miller?mobify=0&intcid=full-site-mobile

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Il-Forno in Deerfield
shakes wrote:
Psycory wrote:

What's it about? Is it like a poor man's Lord of the Rings? I never heard of the series. Should I read it before watching the show, is it that good?.

I would actually argue that it's a rich man's Lord of the Rings. To describe it would take about 200 pages. Personally, I say watch the first episode, if you like what you see pick up the book. I will say it does not disappoint. Everyone who has read these books (people who like the genre and people who do not) love these books.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:51 am 

guarantee you shakes will not have the patience with this series. :wink:

even though i haven't finished the first book yet, i'm pretty sure i can say that the difference between LOTR and this series is that this series is pretty much a medieval war soap opera, whereas lord of the rings is somewhat of an allegory. it's a lot more symbolic and there's a lot more going on underneath whereas this story is fairly up front and more action packed.

the characters in GOT are extremely lively and realistic whereas they're very fantastical in LOTR.

i have a feeling they're both great series in their own right.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:13 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
DVR set last night for this one. Only a 10 episode run but I have pretty high
hopes for it. With Treme coming back next week I'll be couch surfing Sunday
nights again.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:50 am 

pizza_Place: Old World Pizza in Melrose Park
My_name_1s_MUD wrote:
I am really biased, but I genuinely think that these are the best books of this genre. Tolkein had clear "good" characters and clear "bad" characters... and only a small number who actually dealt with temptation. Martin creates a world that is far more realistic. People aren't all good or all bad. He can take a seemingly horrible person (like Jaime in the book) and redeem him in later chapters. And while Tolkein created a rich world, Martin takes it a step further and delves into politics and religion and much more adult themes. Sometimes I think Martin gets a little gratuitous with the sex (rape scenes, etc.), but you can't say he doesn't paint a rich picture of this world. And I've never seen better character development... particularly given the huge amount of characters in these books. They are definitely worth the read. 800 pages fly by... no joke.

This is a great summary.

In Shakes terms - if you don't read this series you have the ghey and are the DUMBEST PERSON EVER!!

Oh...Eastern Illinois. They contacted me. I didn't take the entrance exam because I had 64 crayons instead of 3. But I loved going through Central Illinois. Watching people on bad cooked up Tide is the best.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:54 am 

I'd really have to agree with W_Z on this. If you are a fan of character development, you'll like this series. But I think the soap opera comparison is pretty fair. The only thing I will say is that as the series progresses you'll see the influence of politics and religion in a big way.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:02 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
a Medeival soap opera, eh?

hmmm...yeah, I'm kind of like the fantasy books to be fantastical. So, Mud might be correct, but if there isn't wizards and magic, then it really isn't fantasy sci-fi in my mind. it's fiction.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:33 am 

Just finished the 4th book and the last 100-150 pages made up for what I felt was a very slow start. Another great ending, I am very thankful I didnt have to wait 6 years for the next book to come out :D

I laughed my ass off reading the author's note at the end where he explained that he had to chop the book in half. He said that god willing we would see the next book sometime next year. That was written in June 2005 :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:40 am 

Just called AT&T and talked my way into free HBO for 3 months 8) It doesnt kick in until 4-21 so I will have to play catchup on the first episode. Winter is Coming....

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:42 am 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
I'm going to go out and buy a Direwolf in celebration of your achievements.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:53 am 

pizza_Place: Old World Pizza in Melrose Park
Hank Scorpio wrote:
Just called AT&T and talked my way into free HBO for 3 months 8) It doesnt kick in until 4-21 so I will have to play catchup on the first episode. Winter is Coming....

Wise move Maester Hank.

Oh...Eastern Illinois. They contacted me. I didn't take the entrance exam because I had 64 crayons instead of 3. But I loved going through Central Illinois. Watching people on bad cooked up Tide is the best.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:41 pm 

Terry's Peeps wrote:

just like a stark.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:16 pm 

W_Z wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:

just like a stark.

Yep. :)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:15 am 

Winter is coming...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:55 am 

:D :D :D

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:49 pm 
1000 CLUB

I hope this is a good series... 8)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:46 pm 

15 minutes....

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:52 pm 

8 minutes!!! :D

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:12 pm 

fucking A-Z that was GOOD! i'm excited.

but what's with the casting of tyrion? didn't really see him looking like that at all.

but dany...oh...dany dany.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:19 pm 

I'm so glad I recorded it as well. Imma watch it again after the Hawks game.
:D

Outstanding. I can't wait for next week.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:07 am 

W_Z wrote:
fucking A-Z that was GOOD! i'm excited.

but what's with the casting of tyrion? didn't really see him looking like that at all.

but dany...oh...dany dany.

I didnt see the episode yet but I saw some pictures of who they cast for Tyrion and I didnt agree with it. I pictured Tyrion as a more human looking version of the Leprachaun from those god awful horror movies.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:44 am 

pizza_Place: nowhere
I've never read the books but I thought the 1st ep was pretty damn good

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:01 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Very enjoyable. Pretty nice T & A in there as well. Pretty shocking ending to the
1st episode.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:14 am 
1000 CLUB

yeah, it was pretty good. still deciding if it's worth reading.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4685 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 157  Next