It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4685 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112 ... 157  Next
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:32 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Douchebag wrote:
IMU wrote:
W_Z wrote:
once the sword was unsheathed, the look on jaime's face was the most pitiful i'd seen from him. it didn't make sense at all why he was able to leave alive.

She can't / won't kill family. As terrible as she is, she cares about the Lannisters. If she couldn't kill Tyrion, she definitely couldn't kill Jaime.

Tommen is dead because of her actions.

Tommen was weak. He was the Fredo of the family.

Well yes, but Cersei knew her actions would literally push him over the edge. She might as well have pushed him out the window herself.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:33 am 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
rogers park bryan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
I guess I still don't really get Bran. Is he a nihilist? He seems to have an amazing superpower and is just kind of chilling letting everyone else go fight. Overall, I think the tv show is at its worst with the way they've developed his character. (Never read the books so idk if it's different)
I think it's the standard superhero thing like Gandalf in Lord Of The Rings. He only does things when he absolutely has to in order to not interfere and just be the guy who did everything. The major difference is that Bran seems to know that things don't totally get destroyed because he can see the future. His role is more of a guide than it is the hero.

Never saw Lotr or cared to, but yeah I don't know. he's just a weak, shitty character to me and has been for 7 seasons.

GOT is better but if you like this I think you'd enjoy Lotr.

If anything, it's interesting to watch Lotr and try and see how GOT would have to be compacted into about 10 hours of content if it had instead been 3 movies.

I also think the battle scenes in GOT owe a ton to the work that was done on Lotr.

GRRM pretty much said in an interview that the big death in the first LOTR (no spoilers for FF) was what inspired his "anyone can die" style.

And yes the battle scenes are very similar. Blackwater is a lot like the war in LOTR 2

I like GoT better because there is time to delve into everything. So much of Middle earth history affects the story but you can only hear bits and pieces. In GoT they've showed a lot more.

When I was a much younger man, I played Lord of the Rings Online. It did a great job of expanding on the Middle Earth lore, which is actually pretty great. You did not play as part of the Fellowship, but as random 'soldiers', essentially, from around the world. So you got to go to the places important to the story, but that the Fellowship never got around to, like Angmar.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:16 am 

I know Cersei has that mindset. It just wasn't necessary for the false scare. Exactly, she didn't kill Tyrion so why would she kill Jaime. So don't give the order. It was a lame bluff. Didn't add anything.

I’m in agreement a lot with what TM is saying. I wouldn’t say that the writing is “bad”; it’s not incompetent. It’s just too easy. It’s giving everyone what they want. “A Song of Ice and Fire” was never about that. It was the opposite. So many times I’d hear people say, “I couldn’t get into the show” or “I stopped reading the books” because nothing was going anybody’s way. The good guys were killed, the bad guys won. You couldn’t trust anyone. The loyal fell, and the con artists prevailed.

This past season has given the audience everything they’ve wanted to see, and done it in a very lackadaisical way. It’s popcorn brain writing. It isn’t challenging. What made the books, and the first few seasons, so unique were that it really challenged your will to keep going. I think that feeling is lost now because we’re exactly at where the writers want us to be.

I don’t think it’s as bad as what the “Lost” writers did, but the style is similar. It’s arbitrary and predictable. Too many throw-away scenes and one-off redshirts when it’s clear a major character should die. That sort of thing.

The logic of the show is inconsistent and rickety. I think the Littlefinger plot should’ve been resolved more cleverly. He deserved to meet his end, but he didn’t need to be flopping all over the place like a dying fish. And I still didn’t see the point in trying to keep “us” in the dark about the eventual outcome, because it just came off as cheap.

I actually don’t have a big problem with the Theon stuff, even though it is coming off as fodder. He should be dead twice over by now anyway. Theon was never a worthy human being, so what is he “redeeming” in this little redemption subplot?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:25 am 

W_Z wrote:
I’m in agreement a lot with what TM is saying. I wouldn’t say that the writing is “bad”; it’s not incompetent. It’s just too easy. It’s giving everyone what they want. “A Song of Ice and Fire” was never about that. It was the opposite. So many times I’d hear people say, “I couldn’t get into the show” or “I stopped reading the books” because nothing was going anybody’s way. The good guys were killed, the bad guys won. You couldn’t trust anyone. The loyal fell, and the con artists prevailed.

This past season has given the audience everything they’ve wanted to see, and done it in a very lackadaisical way. It’s popcorn brain writing. It isn’t challenging. What made the books, and the first few seasons, so unique were that it really challenged your will to keep going. I think that feeling is lost now because we’re exactly at where the writers want us to be.
It's funny you mention the books and how they changed. GRRM wanted this to be exactly how it plays out. He said very early on in the start of the tv show that it has always been about Jon Snow and Danaeyrs. http://metro.co.uk/2017/08/22/george-rr-martin-told-game-of-thrones-director-its-always-been-about-jon-snow-and-daenerys-6869358/

There eventually had to be a point besides "characters I liked died unexpectedly". If GRRM had finished the books he would have had to do the same thing. There needs to be an ending here and we are currently in the middle of the ending. I mean, it would have been shocking if Jamie had killed Daenerys but it also wouldn't have been good for the storyline.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:35 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
Littlefinger deserved a better death--he is an awesome character.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:41 am 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Tall Midget wrote:

I think that was the perfect death for Littlefinger.

He was in control right up until the point he wasn't.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:47 am 

Tall Midget wrote:
I think it was actually fitting. He pushed his luck one too many times.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:53 am 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
I would grade this season as just ok. Way too rushed and feels rushed every episode. Lots of cool fan service moments, but producers didn't put much effort into earning those moments this season.

Last season was much better. Watched it again before this season and it was definitely the best season the series has had.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:57 am 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
shakes wrote:
I would grade this season as just ok. Way too rushed and feels rushed every episode. Lots of cool fan service moments, but producers didn't put much effort into earning those moments this season.

Last season was much better. Watched it again before this season and it was definitely the best season the series has had.

Lazy writing

Wasted scenes and characters.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:00 am 

shakes wrote:

No fuckin way.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:04 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
shakes wrote:

No fuckin way.

no, fucking way!

Last season was epic, jsut about every episode had an amazing reveal done in an organic and orderly fashion that made sense.

This season could've been written by a 5 year old or GRMM for that matter.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:05 am 

I also said I would defend episode 6 after this one aired.

The three major things that had to happen to make episode 7 work were:
1) That they all had to have a reason to meet. Getting the white walker did that. This then led to pretty much everything else in the episode.
2) There also had to be some sort of bond formed by Danaerys and Jon Snow. This was done when she saved them and sacrificed her "child" to do it. Jon then showed his loyalty in episode 7 and then they could get it on.
3) Most importantly, the wall had to come down in a way that was impossible for the past 1,000 years. The ice dragon accomplished that. If they had just attacked and won then we would have had to question why it didn't happen a while ago.

Admittedly, it was kind of a dumb plan but I think it was the only way to accomplish those things but especially the ice dragon. It also erases the "Why not just burn every walker with dragons?" question, sets up the Cleagan brothers showdown, and set up the Lannister family drama.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:11 am 

shakes wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
shakes wrote:

No fuckin way.

no, fucking way!

Last season was epic, jsut about every episode had an amazing reveal done in an organic and orderly fashion that made sense.

Not defending this season but Seasons 1,2, and 4 are way bettter.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:19 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
shakes wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
shakes wrote:

No fuckin way.

no, fucking way!

Not defending this season but Seasons 1,2, and 4 are way bettter.

no fucking way!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:27 pm 

pizza_Place: ....
Terry's Peeps wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:

I love how he broke down and groveled. Awesome.

Also, I am a big believer in the big cookie that they say is coming (BLOCKED - HIGHLIGHT FOLLOWING TEXT TO SEE)[/color], when they will show that Howland Reed has been harboring Ned Stark safely after faceless man Syrio Forel took his place at the gallows.

I apologize to The Hawk

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:35 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Panther pislA wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:

Also, I am a big believer in the big cookie that they say is coming (BLOCKED - HIGHLIGHT FOLLOWING TEXT TO SEE)[/color], when they will show that Howland Reed has been harboring Ned Stark safely after faceless man Syrio Forel took his place at the gallows.

That would be a horrible twist. Was he just sitting around watching TV while shit was happening?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
Panther pislA wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:

That would be a horrible twist. Was he just sitting around watching TV while shit was happening?

Agreed. That's awful.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:42 pm 

Howland: Sansa is being married to Ramsay Bolton, who runs Winterfell now. He's about to rape her. Also, Bran is being chased by White Walkers...they do exist.

Ned: Still not the right time

Howland: Look, I thought this was going to be like a few weeks, it's been 9 years.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Parts Unknown
rogers park bryan wrote:
Howland: Sansa is being married to Ramsay Bolton, who runs Winterfell now. He's about to rape her. Also, Bran is being chased by White Walkers...they do exist.

Howland: Look, I thought this was going to be like a few weeks, it's been 9 years.

Ned Stark is Brad Pitt's character in True Romance

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
rogers park bryan wrote:

:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:47 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:

:cheers:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:07 pm 

yeah any talk of ned stark returning is hopefully just fanboy BS. of course in your heart of hearts, it would be great to see ned stark actually alive. but the amount of logic you have to ignore would fill 3 citadels, chamber pots included.

it was pretty clear from the title of the book series that dany and jon were going to be central to the plot of the story, and that they'd wind up as the focus toward the series' climax. how they get there, though, i don't think was going to be this "clean" in martin's (unwritten) books.

i can't give the books that much more credit; it was clear that after "storm of swords", even martin was grasping at shit and trying to weave new storylines to keep it going because the red wedding was originally supposed to be how everything ended.

but i don't know how much interest i have at this point in finishing the book series. it's been 6 years since i've read "dance" and i haven't looked back.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:09 pm 

W_Z wrote:
yeah any talk of ned stark returning is hopefully just fanboy BS. of course in your heart of hearts, it would be great to see ned stark actually alive. but the amount of logic you have to ignore would fill 3 citadels, chamber pots included.

it was pretty clear from the title of the book series that dany and jon were going to be central to the plot of the story, and that they'd wind up as the focus toward the series' climax. how they get there, though, i don't think was going to be this "clean" in martin's (unwritten) books.

i can't give the books that much more credit; it was clear that after "storm of swords", even martin was grasping at shit and trying to weave new storylines to keep it going because the red wedding was originally supposed to be how everything ended.

but i don't know how much interest i have at this point in finishing the book series. it's been 6 years since i've read "dance" and i haven't looked back.

Yeah. The Red Wedding really ruined everything. It was never the same after that.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:11 pm 

W_Z wrote:

In your opinion or has Martin said that?

I just always imagined Tyrion killing Tywin was part of the original plot

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Tall Midget wrote:
This episode was entertaining but hardly "good" or well written.

The Littlefinger twist made no sense within the logic of the show. It was as though the writers wanted to create a surprise simply for the sake of being surprising.

The Theon subplot was so ridiculous it was like a kick to the audience's collective groin.

The romance between Jon and Dany strikes me as odd since there isn't any discernible chemistry between them and they haven't exchanged much memorable dialogue.

The Cersei-Jamie betrayal scene was awkward and odd, as was the Cersei-Tyrion encounter. It hasn't been obvious until this season, but the actress playing Cersei is awful--she has absolutely no emotional range.

And why exactly are we supposed to be reassured by Jon's hereditary claim to the throne when the show has gone out of its way to discredit the entire notion of aristocracy?

I liked the dragons, though, and the assault on the wall was pretty cool.

I agree with the majority of this, although I probably like the show more than you from the sound of it. It's just kind of a dumb, entertaining show now. Which is fine with me, I just was hoping for more out of these last couple seasons.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:12 pm 

to my knowledge, it was martin's publisher that encouraged him to continue it after the red wedding.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:13 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
This episode was entertaining but hardly "good" or well written.

The Littlefinger twist made no sense within the logic of the show. It was as though the writers wanted to create a surprise simply for the sake of being surprising.

The Theon subplot was so ridiculous it was like a kick to the audience's collective groin.

The romance between Jon and Dany strikes me as odd since there isn't any discernible chemistry between them and they haven't exchanged much memorable dialogue.

The Cersei-Jamie betrayal scene was awkward and odd, as was the Cersei-Tyrion encounter. It hasn't been obvious until this season, but the actress playing Cersei is awful--she has absolutely no emotional range.

And why exactly are we supposed to be reassured by Jon's hereditary claim to the throne when the show has gone out of its way to discredit the entire notion of aristocracy?

I liked the dragons, though, and the assault on the wall was pretty cool.

I agree with the majority of this, although I probably like the show more than you from the sound of it. It's just kind of a dumb, entertaining show now. Which is fine with me, I just was hoping for more out of these last couple seasons.

Outside of the dragon, none of the major characters died this season. That's a rare feat. It was all wins for the "good guys" until the gold medal javelin toss.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Parts Unknown
I watched the Strain and GOT last night. The Strain killed 2 major players and three minor last night. Granted it is the final season for that show but it took me by surprise.

Nothing in Season 7 has shocked me. Everyone is pretty much safe if they are good.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:20 pm 

ToxicMasculinity wrote:
I watched the Strain and GOT last night. The Strain killed 2 major players and three minor last night. Granted it is the final season for that show but it took me by surprise.

Nothing in Season 7 has shocked me. Everyone is pretty much safe if they are good.

Hell Jaime isn't even a traditional good guy and he survived dragon fire, drowning and an execution order from the Queen.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
You guys are being a bit too harsh. Thoros of Myr died and deaths don't really get more significant than that

To rock my soul

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4685 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112 ... 157  Next