It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4685 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114 ... 157  Next
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
SpiralStairs wrote:
Heisenberg wrote:
If you know the answer (Goldenjet), please don't weigh in. Otherwise, I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on who will be sitting on the Iron Throne at the end of the series finale? I handicap it as follows:

1. Tyrion. Outsmarts them all
2. Jon. Fan favorite, sentimental choice
3. Cersei. The most evil character wins
4. Dany. The dragons carry the day
5. Gendry. The long shot
6. Sansa. Please no, her voice is annoying

Did I miss anyone?

Gendry? He's got no claim now that Sam knows the truth about Jon. Wonder if Sam stays alive long enough to tell everyone...

Assuming everyone else dies. Remember, this whole series began because John Aryn was finding Robert's bastards...so he got poisoned, Ned became Hand, learned the truth, got beheaded...the show comes full circle.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Old World Pizza in Melrose Park
Dany and Jon get married and rule together - then push Bran out the window cuz he is annoying as fuck.

Oh...Eastern Illinois. They contacted me. I didn't take the entrance exam because I had 64 crayons instead of 3. But I loved going through Central Illinois. Watching people on bad cooked up Tide is the best.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Jon's gotta die after he kills the Night King

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:31 pm 

FavreFan wrote:

He's not going to kill his brother

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:32 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

If that's who it is then he is. That's why he was brought back.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:40 pm 

Half brother.

If Bran turns out to be the Night King, the only way I'll accept it is if Jon kills him. As Bran.

(it doesn't make any sense, because he can't be at two places at once without warging).

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:40 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

If that's who it is then he is. That's why he was brought back.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:41 pm 

W_Z wrote:
Half brother.

If Bran turns out to be the Night King, the only way I'll accept it is if Jon kills him. As Bran.

(it doesn't make any sense, because he can't be at two places at once without warging).

It's gotta be guy wrenching or this whole thing was a waste

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
W_Z wrote:
Half brother.

Not brothers at all?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Old World Pizza in Melrose Park
Cousins

Oh...Eastern Illinois. They contacted me. I didn't take the entrance exam because I had 64 crayons instead of 3. But I loved going through Central Illinois. Watching people on bad cooked up Tide is the best.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:56 pm 

duh, yeah, cousins.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:38 pm 

If Bran is the NK then how did NK touch him? Wouldn't that be a double warg or something

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:44 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
rogers park bryan wrote:
If Bran is the NK then how did NK touch him? Wouldn't that be a double warg or something

I think the theory is the Bran is every Brandon Stark OF ALL TIME. He existed before as a Brandon Stark that the Children turned into the NK and exists now.

I love the theory that Tyrion is the child of Drogo and Dany who is traveling through time.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:45 pm 

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

I think the theory is the Bran is every Brandon Stark OF ALL TIME. He existed before as a Brandon Stark that the Children turned into the NK and exists now.

I love the theory that Tyrion is the child of Drogo and Dany who is traveling through time.

It's all part of Westworld

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:39 pm 

So turns out I missed a good chunk of Season 3 episode 8 and Tyrion's wedding upon first watch. That episode was great.

The season has the least action but the performances of Taiwan Lannister, Lady Thorn, and World Wide Walder make up for it.

Walder Frey is fucking great. I miss that guy. Glad Arya brought him back.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:42 pm 

pizza_Place: 6EFKBS
rogers park bryan wrote:
Taiwan Lannister

The rebellious Lannister with the parents trying to bring him back into the fold.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:44 pm 

SonFui wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Taiwan Lannister

The rebellious Lannister with the parents trying to bring him back into the fold.

Every time I see the Lion I insantly think of the Key and Peele valet scene

WHAT BOUT SOME TY-WAN LANNISTER?!?!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
W_Z wrote:
I know Cersei has that mindset. It just wasn't necessary for the false scare. Exactly, she didn't kill Tyrion so why would she kill Jaime. So don't give the order. It was a lame bluff. Didn't add anything.

I’m in agreement a lot with what TM is saying. I wouldn’t say that the writing is “bad”; it’s not incompetent. It’s just too easy. It’s giving everyone what they want. “A Song of Ice and Fire” was never about that. It was the opposite. So many times I’d hear people say, “I couldn’t get into the show” or “I stopped reading the books” because nothing was going anybody’s way. The good guys were killed, the bad guys won. You couldn’t trust anyone. The loyal fell, and the con artists prevailed.

This past season has given the audience everything they’ve wanted to see, and done it in a very lackadaisical way. It’s popcorn brain writing. It isn’t challenging. What made the books, and the first few seasons, so unique were that it really challenged your will to keep going. I think that feeling is lost now because we’re exactly at where the writers want us to be.

I don’t think it’s as bad as what the “Lost” writers did, but the style is similar. It’s arbitrary and predictable. Too many throw-away scenes and one-off redshirts when it’s clear a major character should die. That sort of thing.

The logic of the show is inconsistent and rickety. I think the Littlefinger plot should’ve been resolved more cleverly. He deserved to meet his end, but he didn’t need to be flopping all over the place like a dying fish. And I still didn’t see the point in trying to keep “us” in the dark about the eventual outcome, because it just came off as cheap.

I actually don’t have a big problem with the Theon stuff, even though it is coming off as fodder. He should be dead twice over by now anyway. Theon was never a worthy human being, so what is he “redeeming” in this little redemption subplot?

Finally got into this after years of not paying it any attention at all. Wrapped up all seasons over the course of two or so months. I haven't read any of the books. I even checked this thread from time to time to see reaction to previous seasons. I agree with those who say the writing has dropped off in later seasons, which is why I quoted WZ's post above. "Popcorn writing" is a great way to put it. I also thought the visit beyond the wall to abduct one of the undead soldiers was dumb. I get why they'd need to do that, but the execution as a plot was dumb. I cringed when the undead army surrounded everyone - because the results were so obvious (Jon at the very least will escape unharmed, people will fight bravely, someone will die or nearly die, and then, most obviously, the dragons will more or less save the day - the scene had no drama at all. I felt like fast forwarding it because I knew I wasn't going to miss anything. So from that angle, yeah, it was pretty dumb. I wish they found some other way to do that.

Also, it's not just about killing off major characters for the sake of killing them off, as if the point is to just achieve some sort of shock factor in the most arbitrary of ways. Ned's death fueled so many major and compelling plots and sub-plots over the course of 2-3 seasons, same for the Red Wedding. This is probably going to sound ignorant because I've got no background with the books, but the show has lost that as time has gone on. Maybe that's because there are no books to guide the writing but I can't think within that paradigm because again I haven't read the books. As a novice viewer, more broadly, the way GoT messed with your mind by having all these sympathetic characters die in the most emotionally painful ways is part of what made its stories and all the sub-stories so compelling. Nowadays everything is so formulaic - like the fight scene beyond the wall, we know what to expect. Wasn't always the case. The show subverted things like "good vs evil," not just by killing off the "good," but by even making you question over time whether the "evil" are really "evil" in the first place (Jamie).

Speaking of Jamie, I think he's probably the best written character on the show. There's an obvious redemption angle here that's still not complete, but it's been a thrill to see the transformation. I think it must end tragically though because he's still got to atone for Bran, and I don't think the sisters or Jon have realized what Jamie's role is in the Stark's tragedies. Bran obviously does know, and since Jamie is supposedly heading to Bran's crib, something's got to happen. Brienne has to be at the center of this confrontation I think, given her compassion for Jamie and her loyalty to the Stark sisters, who will be on opposing sides of course. Or it could go another way with Cersei being the one putting Jamie in a tight spot vis-a-vis Brienne - we already know something has to happen there since Cersei has made her distaste for Brienne well-known, mostly non-verbally I think. The last episode made sure we saw Cersei noticing Jamie and Brienne exchanging looks.

Minor point here: I disagree on Cersei and Tyrion - I do think she's willing to kill him. She had already put a bounty on his head after the Tywin thing, and she tried to sway the jurors or whatever against him during his trial. The confrontation at the summit in season 7 doesn't work for me because it's not clear why she abstained from killing him, especially the last time they meet prior to her changing her mind about joining the Great War. Maybe this uncertainty lends credence to theories which say Tyrion will turn his back on Daenerys. Not sure. The cliffhanger here, or at least one of them, is his realization that Cersei is pregnant. I'm not sure what that means for Tyrion unless I've missed something obvious. My uneducated guess is that this garners his sympathy, given that he truly loved her kids outside of Joffery. Clearly it will complicate Tyrion's allegiances if anything.

Lastly, it was really confusing at first to follow Bran's plot, and then when it started to make sense they basically put it on hold for an entire season before bringing his little crew back. So while there were some hiccups there, now that everything is clear, I think he's probably more dangerous to Cersei/Lannister loyalists than the Dragons are. So his trajectory could go a few different ways - either he becomes this super indispensable intelligence weapon that the Starks rely on during the Great War and/or to push back against Cersei in the south, in which case Bran becomes the target of assassins, etc. That assumes he cares enough to help his family out. We've already seen hints that he's got some sort of new complex that's neutered his compassion for things you'd assume he cares about, like family, his role in LF's death notwithstanding. So perhaps that's evidence of a heel turn, in which case his plot obviously takes an entirely different direction. Friend or foe, regardless, his powers probably make him the most dangerous person in the country. It'll be interesting to see what direction the writers take with respect to portraying how Bran chooses to leverage his powers, and to what end.

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:20 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
Saw today that each episode of the final season has a $15 million budget.

That’s insane. But awesome.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:26 pm 

That's it? If you're giving me six episodes and having the audacity to call it a "season", you can't also release that number expecting applause.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:37 pm 

FavreFan wrote:

That's it? If you're giving me six episodes and having the audacity to call it a "season", you can't also release that number expecting applause.

Last season was $10 million/per and it looked great.

Battle of the Blackwater was $8 million.

I’m encouraged.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:38 pm 

Brick was right - this needs to be a ten episode season. Things that took 1.5 episodes are now happening faster than the time it takes to snap a selfie.

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:39 pm 

I hear you. Maybe spend some of that budget on the writing team though.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:41 pm 

Theory is that all the next season episodes will be minimum 80 minutes given the expanded budget.

Basically 6 movies.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:41 pm 

FavreFan wrote:

I’m encouraged.

Call me a beta but I'll take a Lannister small council meeting with Varys and LF present over a battle any day of the week.

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:44 pm 

veganfan21 wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

I’m encouraged.

Call me a beta but I'll take a Lannister small council meeting with Varys and LF present over a battle any day of the week.

Hardhome and Blackwater were easily 2 of the 5 best episodes of the series

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:48 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

I’m encouraged.

Hardhome and Blackwater were easily 2 of the 5 best episodes of the series

They may have been but broadly speaking I'll remember the intrigue more.than I will the wars when this is all over. The actors playing the Lannister family were killing it. Tywin was the man.

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:53 pm 

"What one or two things do you think of in general when you think of GoT?" isn't a bad question. Not sure where I'd go with that.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:56 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
"What one or two things do you think of in general when you think of GoT?" isn't a bad question. Not sure where I'd go with that.

On a micro scale, moral ambiguity. They did that very well.

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:57 pm 

FavreFan wrote:

The Hound will eat every fucking chicken in this room.

Tyrion remarks how Cersei must feel bad to be the disappointing child.

Many more Tyrion scenes.

Big $$$ spectacles.

Still, I like to see lots of money throne (get it) at this.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4685 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114 ... 157  Next