It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4685 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116 ... 157  Next
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:16 am 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
W_Z wrote:
GRRM is a whole other story. but as far as i know, he isn't in charge of the story anymore. these guys did a great job adapting his work; they're not doing a great job of writing it.

But I don’t think they ever wanted to “write” it. He forced them to because he never finished the books and I doubt he ever will.

I think he will leave the TV show to be “his” ending.

Exactly.

It's hard to fault guys who signed on to do an adaptation and ended up having to write the ending.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:18 am 

FavreFan wrote:
When Tywin tells Arya how to properly pronounce M’Lord as a pretending low-born girl.

Great moment. The Arya/Hound scenes were probably my favorite.

Brother Ray was memorable too. Violence is a disease. You don't cure the disease by spreading it to more people.

Every Tywin/Arya scene was gold.

Not to slight Arya but every Tywin scene was awesome.

Tywin and Tyrion are the Magic/Bird of this show.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:19 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Also don't forget that the books were supposed to end with the Red Wedding. Even he wasn't planning on being able to tie this all up.

Im unclear on this. I've heard this before, but also heard that the whole point of the story was the Jon-Dany meeting which was nowhere near happening yet at the Red Wedding.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:23 am 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Terry's Peeps wrote:
W_Z wrote:
GRRM is a whole other story. but as far as i know, he isn't in charge of the story anymore. these guys did a great job adapting his work; they're not doing a great job of writing it.

But I don’t think they ever wanted to “write” it. He forced them to because he never finished the books and I doubt he ever will.

Exactly.

It's hard to fault guys who signed on to do an adaptation and ended up having to write the ending.

But surely we can criticize the writing on its own merits, no? It's not so much about how true it is to the source material anymore - it's their original writing at this point.

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:25 am 

veganfan21 wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Jbi11s wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
I think WZ already touched on this but I thought Jon hooking up with Daenerys (sp?) was unnecessary. Didn't make sense within the logic of the show to me. We all know the writers want us to want them to become the royal couple next season, especially after that suggestive conversation about her fertility. Guessing it's going to be Snow being the one with issues due to the whole death thing.

Their relationship was something fans wanted for quite some time before it happened. For w/e reason the hive mind seems to be turning on that previous desire.

It was the whole point of the books. GRRM wrote it as the big storyline was jon and dany. I don't get that criticism.

Not complaining about them ultimately getting together, just about the way they went about executing that story. For example, I thought the [platonic] affection Jamie and Brienne share for one another was very well done - that came together quite nicely over time. Personally I don't feel that way about Snow and Dany even though we know, as you said, it's a core story in the books.
Jamie-Brienne would likely be just as awkward if they did get them together for real.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:27 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Also don't forget that the books were supposed to end with the Red Wedding. Even he wasn't planning on being able to tie this all up.

Im unclear on this. I've heard this before, but also heard that the whole point of the story was the Jon-Dany meeting which was nowhere near happening yet at the Red Wedding.
It's both. He created the world with the idea that Dany-Jon would be the end game(and whatever happens with that story) but he planned to stop writing after the Red Wedding. It was going to be unfinished.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:32 am 

Tywin putting Joffrey in check twice (sending him to bed and "you are being counseled at this very moment") was awesome.

Tyrion almost always getting under Joffrey's skin even when Joffrey tried to flex on him

Joffrey: You can be my cup bearer

Tyrion: Your Grace does me a great honor

Joffrey: It's not meant as an honor!

The Sword fight at the Tower of Joy was awesome.

Mountain vs the Viper (Essentially Hogan-Andre from WM3 with a twist ending where Andre kicks out and murders Hogan)

Lady Elena's insults

The voices and attitudes of Balon Greyjoy and Walder Frey

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:34 am 

veganfan21 wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:
W_Z wrote:

Exactly.

But surely we can criticize the writing on its own merits, no? It's not so much about how true it is to the source material anymore - it's their original writing at this point.

Sure. I'm talking more about the "this isn't how George would do it" criticisms. George had plenty of time to do it. Instead he wrote 7 other books.

I think they got the major plot points for what happen and just write to get to those with no thought for how they get there.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:37 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Tywin putting Joffrey in check twice (sending him to bed and "you are being counseled at this very moment") was awesome.

Tyrion almost always getting under Joffrey's skin even when Joffrey tried to flex on him

Mountain vs the Viper (Essentially Hogan-Andre from WM3 with a twist ending where Andre kicks out and murders Hogan)

Lady Elena's insults

Frey is pure evil. Him and joffery were very convincing bad dudes. I thought they overdid Ramsey's sadism. It's like okay we get it, he's pretty messed up. Let's move on.

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:39 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

It's both. He created the world with the idea that Dany-Jon would be the end game(and whatever happens with that story) but he planned to stop writing after the Red Wedding. It was going to be unfinished.

AND IT WILL REMAIN THAT WAY!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:43 am 

pizza_Place: Bianchis
FavreFan wrote:
"What one or two things do you think of in general when you think of GoT?" isn't a bad question. Not sure where I'd go with that.

Missed opportunity. I loved the first three seasons of the show, but they have gone off the rails mostly since season 5.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:43 am 

veganfan21 wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

Lady Elena's insults

Frey is pure evil. Him and joffery were very convincing bad dudes. I thought they overdid Ramsey's sadism. It's like okay we get it, he's pretty messed up. Let's move on.

Yea, that's a common complaint. They could have taken 1-2 of the 10 RAMSAY is CRAZY scenes on why he got that crazy (growing up a bastard and product of rape)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:44 am 

SuperMario wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
"What one or two things do you think of in general when you think of GoT?" isn't a bad question. Not sure where I'd go with that.

Missed opportunity. I loved the first three seasons of the show, but they have gone off the rails mostly since season 5.

Season 4 was awesome.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:51 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Not exactly true. He originally did want 3 books, which turned to 6, which turned to 7, and will likely need 8. Except he will never finish them. He always intended to have 3 parts to his story - The war of the 5 kings, the dance of dragons, and the war for dawn. The show left out Aegon and gave his story to Cersei, and they are fighting the Others as we speak. So the show rolled the final two plots into one.

George screwed up by making the 4th book into 2 books by expanding too much on side characters and regions. And now he is having problems getting the characters to meet up in a realistic fashion. The show doesn't care about that because everyone has jet packs that allows them to fly all over Westeros and Essos. But George is screwed and now he is bored. And we have two main parts of the story still not told with only two supposed books remaining. And he is 69 years old.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:52 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
SuperMario wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

Season 4 was awesome.

Season 4 had it's ups and downs. Obviously the Mountain and Oberyn fight was good. But that is where the show's dialogue and the horrible white washing of Tyrion making him perfect to everyone really started to take fold.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:58 am 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Joffrey might be the greatest TV villain of all time. OF ALL TIME.

That kid did a great job. Kind of feel bad for him because he has such a punchable face but, by all accounts,
Sounds like a great guy IRL.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:58 am 

Terry's Peeps wrote:
W_Z wrote:

Exactly.

But they have known the ending since the beginning. George has always known how the series would end and he told D&D during one of their meetings. And you can't just blame George for not finishing on them having to write their own stuff. They started to really deviate from the books starting back at season 4. Season 4 was still book 3, so they started to break off when there was still 2 and a half books worth of material.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:01 am 

SuperMario wrote:
But they have known the ending since the beginning. George has always known how the series would end and he told D&D during one of their meetings. And you can't just blame George for not finishing on them having to write their own stuff. They started to really deviate from the books starting back at season 4. Season 4 was still book 3, so they started to break off when there was still 2 and a half books worth of material.
Didn't you say the books basically made a realistic ending impossible?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:01 am 

SuperMario wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:25 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
SuperMario wrote:

It's not impossible. George specifically knows the ending and has since the beginning, but he has called himself a gardener and not an architect when it comes to his writing. He plants seeds to see where they grow as opposed to starting with outlines and laying things out in order. Because of that, some of his seeds have grown to be unmanageable and George has written himself into some corners that are hard to get out of. The show could have done the same things, but they are much more loose with the traveling and use deus ex machina in the form of dragons quite frequently.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:32 am 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
SuperMario wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
SuperMario wrote:

It's not impossible. George specifically knows the ending and has since the beginning, but he has called himself a gardener and not an architect when it comes to his writing. He plants seeds to see where they grow as opposed to starting with outlines and laying things out in order. Because of that, some of his seeds have grown to be unmanageable and George has written himself into some corners that are hard to get out of. The show could have done the same things, but they are much more loose with the traveling and use deus ex machina in the form of dragons quite frequently.

They have to be. They have deadlines. George, apparently, does not.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:40 am 

SuperMario wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
SuperMario wrote:

Sadly, that is true because George's publisher has no spine.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:03 am 

SuperMario wrote:
SuperMario wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
SuperMario wrote:

Bianchi's Pizza!?!

I miss Oogie's.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:31 am 

I enjoyed all the world building and the character development scenes early on, but everything seems to be rushed now as others have said. Feels like the times I'd write papers in college with really solid introductions and other sections to frame my argument only to rush through the actual meat of the paper because I was running out of time.

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:35 am 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
veganfan21 wrote:
I enjoyed all the world building and the character development scenes early on, but everything seems to be rushed now as others have said. Feels like the times I'd write papers in college with really solid introductions and other sections to frame my argument only to rush through the actual meat of the paper because I was running out of time.

Yes it kind of sucks, but do you understand why they are doing it?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:40 am 

Jbi11s wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:

Yes it kind of sucks, but do you understand why they are doing it?

Yeah it's fine. I'm still enjoying the ride for the most part.

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:42 am 

veganfan21 wrote:

Happens in every show.

On Walking Dead you got to know the original crew for like 2-3 seasons. Now people show up and die in 4 episode arcs.

Does anyone even remember the Everyone Hates Chris kid was on that show?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:31 pm 

SuperMario wrote:
SuperMario wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
SuperMario wrote:

Bianchi's Pizza!?!

I miss Oogie's.

But of course! Didn't know if anyone would know that one. That's my hometown.

And don't get me started on Oogie's. Best root beer ever, hands down.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
Idk if this was mentioned previously, but the final season is $15mil/episode. Going all out.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:36 pm 

SuperMario wrote:
Bianchi's Pizza!?!

I miss Oogie's.

But of course! Didn't know if anyone would know that one. That's my hometown.

And don't get me started on Oogie's. Best root beer ever, hands down.

Agreed. That was the deluxe Friday meal for the bums like us working at Farm & Fleet - the old one, not the nice, new one.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4685 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 110, 111, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116 ... 157  Next