It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4685 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 157  Next
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:51 am 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
This show had me at drunk midget.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:41 pm 

i'm also glad they made the characters a tad older than in the books. a 6 year old bran wouldn't translate as well on screen i don't think.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:55 pm 

doug - evergreen park wrote:
yeah, it was pretty good. still deciding if it's worth reading.

yeah, not sure this seems like read worthy. So far it seems like its just gonna be a big soap opera set in midevil times. To compare it to a genre defining classic like LOTR seems pretty laughable so far, but obviously that's just based off of my first impression. I'll withhold final judgement till I see more of the show.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
shakes wrote:

yeah, not sure this seems like read worthy. So far it seems like its just gonna be a big soap opera set in midevil times. To compare it to a genre defining classic like LOTR seems pretty laughable so far, but obviously that's just based off of my first impression. I'll withhold final judgement till I see more of the show.

I had a hard time with the first 100 pages of this. Then shit picked up and I'm hooked.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:27 pm 

pizza_Place: I vehemently disagree
shakes wrote:

Just for the record, it's not medieval... it's a whole new world. And I think you are right that LOTR can't be compared to this series. The Song of Ice and Fire is so much superior that it makes you say "Frodo who?". All kidding aside, LOTR was absolutely great. And so is this. They both have deep, rich worlds. The biggest difference is that this deals with much more adult themes than LOTR ever did. In addition, the character development is so much deeper. Because you can see the foibles of each character... not just a couple main characters in LOTR. It's so complex and it may turn off a casual reader, but I think the comparisons to LOTR are very much fair. You can definitely appreciate GRRM's world after reading the Ring Cycle.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:39 pm 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
Here is one of the Kings:
The fat dad from Still Standing

and agent 006 from Goldeneye:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:42 am 

My_name_1s_MUD wrote:
Just for the record, it's not medieval... it's a whole new world. And I think you are right that LOTR can't be compared to this series. The Song of Ice and Fire is so much superior that it makes you say "Frodo who?". All kidding aside, LOTR was absolutely great. And so is this. They both have deep, rich worlds. The biggest difference is that this deals with much more adult themes than LOTR ever did. In addition, the character development is so much deeper. Because you can see the foibles of each character... not just a couple main characters in LOTR. It's so complex and it may turn off a casual reader, but I think the comparisons to LOTR are very much fair. You can definitely appreciate GRRM's world after reading the Ring Cycle.

it's definitely in a time period that's akin to medieval times, but no it's not historically medieval. it uses it as a motif. but LOTR is the same thing. middle earth is a total creation.

i stress again these are two different kinds of stories. LOTR uses characters as symbols more than SOFI does. it's really not fair to compare the two.

and, i'm almost positive there are sci-fi/fantasy geek forums that do this sort of thing with these two collections, and maybe some throw in the wheel of time series into the debate.

but really it's basically like comparing "star wars" and "star trek". two completely different things that go at sci-fi with different motives.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:19 am 

I get what you are saying about LOTR being an allegory. You are correct. There is a basic "right" and "wrong" decision... and basic "good" and "evil" characters. We can quibble about Boromir or Gollum's struggle, but this story is basically about Frodo choosing the "right" path.

Martin's world is more about character development and a journey. There isn't a "right" religion or a "right" ruler to Westeros. There aren't "good" or "bad" characters. Horrible charactes like Jaime and the Hound are redeemed... and we get to see how seemingly good characters stumble. Even Ned cheated on his wife, right? The politics and religion are all essential in showing a rich world in which characters interact. There likely won't be a tidy ending or a lesson to be learned like in LOTR. But it is still very much worth the read.

And Martin admits, that he borrowed many themes and influences from Tolkein. I'm not sure that is enough to allow you to compare the two. But I don't have as big of a problem as you do comparing the two.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:45 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
It seems more like the Wheel of Time than LOTR....sans magic.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:19 am 

My_name_1s_MUD wrote:
I get what you are saying about LOTR being an allegory. You are correct. There is a basic "right" and "wrong" decision... and basic "good" and "evil" characters. We can quibble about Boromir or Gollum's struggle, but this story is basically about Frodo choosing the "right" path.

Martin's world is more about character development and a journey. There isn't a "right" religion or a "right" ruler to Westeros. There aren't "good" or "bad" characters. Horrible charactes like Jaime and the Hound are redeemed... and we get to see how seemingly good characters stumble. Even Ned cheated on his wife, right? The politics and religion are all essential in showing a rich world in which characters interact. There likely won't be a tidy ending or a lesson to be learned like in LOTR. But it is still very much worth the read.

And Martin admits, that he borrowed many themes and influences from Tolkein. I'm not sure that is enough to allow you to compare the two. But I don't have as big of a problem as you do comparing the two.

I always felt that LOTR was about Samwise, not Frodo. It appears to be about Frodo, but in the grand scheme of things the story is really about Samwise and the struggles and choices he goes through.

Regarding the character development of Game of Thrones, I just read a review that said the tv show has very little character development so you guys who read the book might end up being a little disappointed in the show if that's what you are expecting.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:44 pm 

My_name_1s_MUD wrote:

i don't mind comparing the two on the merits of what they are; they both share the epic arc format and they both have the middle earth setting (although martin uses actual historical creatures whereas tolkein made up most of them). but LOTR is more of a sojourn and GOT is stagnant and character driven. what i don't think is necessary is declaring which is better or which is the poor man's or rich man's whatever. there is no reason to do that because they don't operate on the same level.

NO MORE SPOILERS though...i'm not done reading it! :P

now let's cook up some capons and drink some milk of the poppy.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:54 pm 
1000 CLUB

W_Z wrote:

um...so, stop making references then! :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Johns in Cal City
Nothing in this thread makes me want to watch it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:50 pm 

Gloopan Kuratz wrote:
Nothing in this thread makes me want to watch it.

I agree, it actually sounds pretty ghey. But, the first episode wasn't terrible so I'm gonna keep watching. Plus, I give HBO shows the benefit of the doubt for the first couple seasons before HBO inevitably ruins them.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:59 pm 

W_Z wrote:

spoiler alert...they eat food.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
W_Z wrote:
W_Z wrote:

spoiler alert...they eat food.

And use drugs for pain.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:05 pm 

Fuck you guys!!!

Stop ruining it! Next thing you'll tell me, they fight with swords. God!!

:D

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:27 pm 

How do we direct this thread back to drunk midgets?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:54 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:12 pm 

Tyrion is terrible. He looks normal, just a midget. In the book he was like a hideous creature.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:17 pm 

Hank Scorpio wrote:
Tyrion is terrible. He looks normal, just a midget. In the book he was like a hideous creature.

I know. That's the one bad casting. So far.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Old World Pizza in Melrose Park
Terry's Peeps wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:

I know. That's the one bad casting. So far.

I disagree - he wasn't described as hideous in the first book by anyone other than Cersei - he just had mismatched eyes. Dwarves were looked down upon and thats why no one spoke highly of his looks. Out of the pool of midget actors I think they did just fine as Dinklage can actually act and I think will be able to showcase Tyrion's wit.

Oh...Eastern Illinois. They contacted me. I didn't take the entrance exam because I had 64 crayons instead of 3. But I loved going through Central Illinois. Watching people on bad cooked up Tide is the best.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:32 pm 

Maybe. It just isn't what I pictured him like in my mind's eye.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:56 am 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
saw the first episode..liked it and the series looks like it is going to be very good..i like the midget and i agree he can act. what were those things in the beginning with the blue eyes "white walkers" i think they were called they are dead? live below ground? i have not read the books

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:05 am 

they're also known as The Others. they're zawmbees of sorts.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:37 am 

W_Z wrote:
they're also known as The Others. they're zawmbees of sorts.

I thought they were the Island's original inhabitants....

Oh wait....wrong Others.

Carry on.
:D

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:16 am 

pizza_Place: Old World Pizza in Melrose Park
Already picked up for a second season. AWESOME.

And I think they are going to purposely avoid saying Others because of Lost. Wight Walkers works.

Oh...Eastern Illinois. They contacted me. I didn't take the entrance exam because I had 64 crayons instead of 3. But I loved going through Central Illinois. Watching people on bad cooked up Tide is the best.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:24 am 
1000 CLUB

do they drink ale, grog, or wine? :P

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:05 pm 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
ok so answer me this.. the queen that is banging her "brother" is that her real brother ? and the guy who has the 40k strong army on horses..dave navarro?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:07 pm 

312player wrote:
ok so answer me this.. the queen that is banging her "brother" is that her real brother ? and the guy who has the 40k strong army on horses..dave navarro?

Her twin brother, if I can add a level of creepiness.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4685 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 157  Next