It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Doctor Who Series 6
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Phils' on 35th all you need to know
sinicalypse wrote:
here's a baited question: who's your favorite companion in the 2005-onwards series and why?

Capt Jack , he is the shit plus he is immortal.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Rose was cool but I wanted her mother to die.
Capt. Jack was a great companion because he wasn't immortal at the time and still redeemed himself by helping the Doctor. And he's the Face of Boe. But he's the easy choice.
Donna was horrible but Wilf was the shit.
Martha Jones was smart and cute, plus she is a badass with UNIT. And she married Mickey.
Amy is cute and a bit daft. Not a bad combo.
Rory the Roman is the heart of the dynamic now. He's the one who represents the audience. Plus he was a badass facing the Cybermen.

Favourite companion - Amelia and Rory Pond.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
sinicalypse wrote:
here's a baited question: who's your favorite companion in the 2005-onwards series and why?

It's tough since I think sometimes it's just a bad Doctor-Companion match. In a vacuum I like Donna, but I'm not sure she worked well with Tennant. I've been watching the Catherine Tate Show on Netflix and she's pretty damn funny.

1. Donna
2. Martha
3. Pond (but dropping)
4. Rose

Chas is sorta right in that the recurring non-companions seem to come off a lot better. Jack and Donna's grandpa are pretty good.

Rory gets extra props for the stag shirts though

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:04 pm 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
hmmm i guess i gotta answer this now.

1) series 1 rose. i'm going to differentiate her series 1 from the rest of it, cuz after 9 changed into 10 that's when the whole insipid "love story" began. in this revived television series moreso than the original run, the companions are used to represent the "everyday person" and thus be some sort of a de-facto stand-in for us, showing us what we'd experience if we were to go off in the tardis for a bunch of time.

not to mention the doctor and/or the tardis and the whole show are a proper metaphor, but you know what i mean.

in series 1 rose was a just a normal chick who happened to stumble across the most interesting man in the universe, and we saw how it affected her family, boyfriend, and etc. i'm going to lump mickey into this ranking, and he helps raise it up cuz his whole story goes to show how running with the doctor makes you a better person. he went from a half-wit getting bested by trashcans to, ostensibly, some sort of dimension-popping gun-toting superhero who nabbed martha, which isn't a bad day in the office. moms was obviously annoying, but that was kind of the whole point. even she ended up some sort of a dimension-popping-superhero at the end, so hey, this just goes to show how a special transcendental person can truly touch your life.

2) martha jones. there isn't too much to say about her.... there's the flagrant metaphor where she starts off of as a nurse and then after her adventures with the doctor she ends up a doctor, but aside from that, she had the obligatory family and the strain and the stress.... she was easy on the eyes, and even tho she was hopelessly in love with the doctor, it wasn't as flagrant and ultimately as big of a deal as miss pond. her bland average-ness is her saving grace here, cuz she didn't really get in the way of the adventures, nor did her character become THE MOST IMPORTANT PERSON IN THE UNIVERSE.

3) amy pond. she's the finest companion in all of the damn series, and i don't really care that she's kind of daft and fucks everything up... it's just the whole rory/marriage/baby/river thing has really made me want to have her go the fuck away, which says something seeing as i could stare at her for hours on end. if she wasn't THE MOST IMPORTANT GIRL IN THE HISTORY OF TIME AND SPACE i reckon she'd be #1 on my list, but the events of series 6a have me really scared that the doctor's being set up for a love affair, and this character is helping to bring about that, so points down.

4) donna noble. mel bush/bonnie langford v2.0 anyone?!?! get a popular pre-established tv-star ginger comedienne and trot her out alongside the doctor. hijinks ensue. she too had to be the most important person in the history of the universe, but it only really came up in the final story. i didn't hate her, but i don't go out of my way to love her... and i certanly don't want to fuck her, so like, #4 it is.

5) series 2/+ rose tyler: the LOVE OF THE DOCTOR'S LIFE, and soooo important and this and that. i mean her actual character is much the same as it was in series 1, but like, just what she represented could end up being a big giant juncture for the whole of doctor who history. never b4 rose tyler did the doctor really seem to love an assistant/companion and from series 2 onward he did. plus she looked real weird and plastic-surgeried at the end of The End of Time part 2... i mean, idk what happened cuz she was doing diary of a call girl then and she looked normal there, but at the end of TEOT, whoa... down girl.

i would really love to see ace v2.0 with a super-hot-chick... some spunky punk-rock-ish girl from the future with no strings, commitments, and babies... known to tote a bat and the occasional rocket launcher. i mean, for hte love of god give us a companion from somewhere else than the present day please! new-who has been on tv for six years so like, there doesn't need to be a perpetual anchor to the present day in the form of a plucky companion!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:54 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Freezer.
Ah, well, y'know... Rose is better than you're allowing for. You're pissed at the ridiculous handling of the character during the Martha Jones era. Nothing against Pond. I'm separating the character from the story.

Some people like Romana 2 (in the "best companion" sweepstakes.) I gravitate more to Sarah Jane, Jo Grant, and Zoe. And yes they were characters of their time.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:32 pm 

Let's Kill Hitler.

Tonight at 8.

Looking forward to it. I've been re-watching the new series during the break. David Tenant started off so good, but his end pissed me off.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Phils' on 35th all you need to know
Beebo wrote:
Ah, well, y'know... Rose is better than you're allowing for. You're pissed at the ridiculous handling of the character during the Martha Jones era. Nothing against Pond. I'm separating the character from the story.

Some people like Romana 2 (in the "best companion" sweepstakes.) I gravitate more to Sarah Jane, Jo Grant, and Zoe. And yes they were characters of their time.

I was a Harry fan for a bit.
I liked All of Davidsons companions thought they where well written.
And I really like Peri for obvious reasons.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:10 pm 

OK, having just put this on and having just arrived to berlin 1938 alls i can say is...

HOLY CONTRIVED RETCON-BASED CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT, BATMAN!!!@

i hope "whoever" this "mels" ends up being (geeeee, i wonder just WHO this could be... hrmmm) is explained off as some anomaly in an aborted timeline or something... cuz all of a sudden amy and rory have a BFF who's been there since day one and she reminds me of a certain ER-alumni a whole bunch....

/me facepalms and gets back to WONDERFUL SCI-FI STUFF! seriously where is this wonderful concept of awesome sci-fi when torchwood needs it?!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:18 pm 

OH WOW... I *TOTALLY* DIDN'T SEE THAT ONE COMING!!!@

* epic facepalm *

however, the spirit and tone of this episode for the first 15 minutes is pitch perfect for how doctor who oughta be... it's gotten a little bit more dramatic now, but hey, JUST KEEP IT FUN MOFFAT!!! THIS IS DEFINITELY MORE FUN THAN ANYTHING THAT'S BEEN ON THE SHOW FOR 2-3 SERIES SO KEEP IT UP!

(the preceding message brought to you by alcohol.... makes life more fun!)

whoa a reference to the graduate!?!? they set that one up over hte course of a year or two!

the "spoilers" earned a proper LOL over here... gotta admit!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:12 pm 

welp, that was an amazing workout of an episode... it went from everything i love about doctor who (a whimsical romp through history, turning hitler into a running joke... outrageousness, dave-type-aliens, intelligent screwballery, etc) into everything i hate about newschool doctor who (OMFG IT'S RIVER THE MOST IMPORTANT PERSON IN THE UNIVERSE RAH RAH RAH ETC ETC ETC!!!@)

so when river meets the doctor here, it's the first time she EVER met the doctor... as she was off being trained to be some sort of a badass menace to the universe prior to hanging out with her parents, evidently for a lifetime, and then finally killing the doctor as she was instructed to do (and which she evidently does when she's full-on river song)

so i'm HOPING.... no, i'm PRAYING that after this series we can finally GET THE FUCK AWAY FROM AMY/RORY/RIVER/ETC AND GET BACK TO THE DOCTOR!!!@ this isn't "the adventures of amy pond and her wacky family featuring the doctor" this is doctor fucking who... i mean, look at what this whole insipid love thing did to the episode here... it took a fast paced clever romp and turned it into maudlin overstated contrived drama appealing to the lowest common denominators of humanity (parentage... love... etc)

i like my doctor who to be more light-hearted romp-like, i like it to be fast paced and clever (i.e. the jellyfish of doom telling people that they're going to experience a slight tingling feeling before death... it IS normal to be scared before death, etc) not all OOOH AHHHH long camera shots of regeneration energy and this and that...

so steven moffat, since you won't read this catch my telepathic vibes: FOR THE LOVE OF GOD PLEASE GET RID OF AMY/RORY/RIVER/MELS/ETC BY THE END OF THIS SERIES!!!@ reset the timelines or whatever you gotta do, just wrap it up so amy and rory can go off and raise their baby from day one, river goes off and does her thing with the doctor in unseen adventures and/or with a ganger, and then the doctor can move on and does WHAT HE ALWAYS DID... explore the universe, meet new people, and have a boatload of fun doing it.

steven moffat said that he's going to end the doctor's fame this series.... i didn't think he meant he was going to do that by killing the series, but if he keeps this up beyond series 6/b then i think he might have a chance of doing it.... or well, lamentably he prolly won't as there will always be 5-7 million brits watching this and he's likely trying to pander to a lower common denominator audience... but for christ's sake enough with this shit! usually the story arcs are an oooh ahhh thing you wanna see resolved, but i'm actually really looking forward to monster of the week episodes that are about exploring the universe and having fun as opposed to contrived river crap (and spoiler alert: episode 13 is called "the wedding of river song" --- the steven moffat ass-licking society is already squeeing at how clever the title is and how he's going to misdirect us and he's so brilliant and genius and all this skipbaylessesque prisoner of the moment crap... well there's at least one more hardcore intensive amy episode, and then inevitably the finale will have to be amy intensive... then hopefully we can MOVE THE FUCK ON, cuz part of doctor who is that no matter who the assistants/companions are, they get their time under the sun then IT'S TIME TO MOVE ON CUZ THAT'S WHAT THE DOCTOR DOES!!!

please do it before you turn one of my favorite series ever into crap, mister moffat.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:05 am 

I liked it.

I was pissed at the beginning with the introduction of Mels. I thought "why the fuck do I need a new character who was every so important to Amy and Rory introduced now?!"

Then of course she regenerates into River, except its not the River we've known. It's the one that was kidnapped and raised to kill the Doctor. The scene where she's trying to shoot him and he's outsmarted her every time was fantastically silly.

And then the robot with miniature people inside. Glorious. Are their answers and statements about River killing the Doctor at the lake true? Or will that now be negated? Don't know. Interested to find out.

Fast forward to the end and River uses up all her regenerations to save the Doctor. So she's mortal now? No more time baby? Ok.

I don't mind the melodrama as long as it advances the story.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:52 am 
1000 CLUB

Yeah, "Mels." Now that WOULD BE FUNNY -- it's Bonnie Langford! Eeeeek! Let's kill Hitler was a bunch of fun. I'm still trying to figure out how Rory's hair darkened as they steal the motorcycle. And the whole Enterprise bridge inside the robot is just too damned funny.

All in all, a strange episode. Someone want to tell me how Fish Sticks and Tapioca Pudding has such restorative properties?!?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:56 pm 
1000 CLUB

chaspoppcap wrote:
Beebo wrote:

I was a Harry fan for a bit.

Harry Sullivan? The same guy, who causes a rockslide in a tunnel, then tries to remove a boobytrapped harness from the Doctor, which, if he had succeeded, would have blown up. I'm with Tom Baker, yelling out "Harry Sullivan is an imbecile!"

Did he leave in Terror of the Zygons? I remember a last scene where he jumps into a hovercraft and that's it for him...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:24 pm 

Beebo wrote:
Did he leave in Terror of the Zygons? I remember a last scene where he jumps into a hovercraft and that's it for him...

If I'm not mistaken he was off to take a train or something? I think he was freaked out by being duplicated by the Zygons.

Though he did show up again in the Android Invasion...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:22 pm 
1000 CLUB

And he wrote some Dr Who novelizations before passing away. All I can shake lose from my trivia-laden head is "complications from diabetes."

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:49 am 

Really liked the episode last night. Older Amy was awesome. She had grown to hate the Doctor after being alone for 36 years. And she was a badass with the sword. And Robot Rory!

Nice to see Rory get a backbone and get properly pissed at the Doctor.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:10 am 
1000 CLUB

But still left to die (the older Amy)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:34 am 

Yeah. That was a hard lesson from the Doctor.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:08 am 
1000 CLUB

I think I would have thrown those time-travelling bracelet do-wops, like the Dr used in Pandorica, and let Amy the elder pop off somewhere

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:19 am 

Craig is back! Lovely. And Stormageddon.

Nice episode that leads into...

Next week series 6 finale.

Craig gave the Doctor his cowboy hat. And the blue envelopes. Brilliant.

How does the Doctor survive? If River doesn't kill the Doctor, does she end up in Stormcage?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:42 am 
1000 CLUB

Terry's Peeps wrote:
Craig is back! Lovely. And Stormageddon.

Nice episode that leads into...

Next week series 6 finale.

Craig gave the Doctor his cowboy hat. And the blue envelopes. Brilliant.

How does the Doctor survive? If River doesn't kill the Doctor, does she end up in Stormcage?

Dunno. How did they leave the 'other Doctor' from The Almost People? Lots of Timey Whimey going on. Actually, since the Christmas Carol, where he's surgically bopping left and right thru time. They could bring in Peter Davison as the narrator :-)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:18 am 

The Almost Doctor got acided up.

I wanna see how they wrap this up.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:18 am 
1000 CLUB

Also nice little cameo by the Ponds.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:22 am 

Yeah that was funny.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:32 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
I really really like Matt Smith so it pains me to say this, but this is the worst season of the reboot. Nothing really stands out and I'd be hard pressed to even call anything "good" other than the fake people ones. The writing has just been dreadful. More than anything I just don't think the season has really been that "fun," which I'd hoped was Smith's strong point. Hopefully the finale can save it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:03 pm 

Good points.

Last episode kind of brought that back a bit, but not enough.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:04 pm 

Spoilers......

So that's the first question? The question that must never be answered? Doctor Who?

And it was the Teselecta that was kilt? All so the Doctor could operate in the shadows.

Christmas 2011. Next stop, everywhere!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:01 am 
1000 CLUB

Terry's Peeps wrote:
The question that must never be answered? Doctor Who?

Well, so long as they don't blithely sail into that storyline, soon. But still, it is the core question with this guy.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:14 am 

It'll be interesting next series if that's the central arc.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:17 am 

I always wanted to winter in Cardiff...

http://www.tvovermind.com/doctor-who-tv-news/doctor_who_convention_2012/104137?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=doctor_who_convention_2012