It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fargo on FX - Season 5
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 8:09 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
I really enjoyed the first two seasons of this show. The third was probably the weakest and the latest with Chris Rock was just ok. Not sure how to feel about this one after seeing the initial commercials on TV. Likely give it a shot as the writing and cast could reveal itself to be very good. Brief synopsis below. Jon Hamm and Jennifer Jason Leigh also star.

As is typical for the series, plot details for the new season have been largely kept under wraps. We do know that Season 5 is the most contemporary one yet, taking place in 2019 (the first four seasons were set in 2006, 1979, 2010 and 1950 respectively). The logline for Season 5 simply reads: “When is a kidnapping not a kidnapping, and what if your wife isn’t yours?” A slightly more detailed recent synopsis offered a couple more plot details: “After an unexpected series of events lands 'Dorothy ‘Dot’ Lyon' (Juno Temple) in hot water with the authorities, this seemingly typical Midwestern housewife is suddenly plunged back into a life she thought she had left behind.”

First two episodes premiere tomorrow.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 9:14 am 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
so the last two seasons sucked and you still want to give this another shot? You might want to take a long look in the mirror when it comes to your TV viewing decisions.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 9:14 am 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
getting good initial reviews for this season and it seems to have reinvigorated Hawley into ideas for other seasons. Had sounded like this was going to be the last season (still could be i suppose) but i read a quote that he had more ideas and stories to tell

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 9:32 am 

shakes wrote:
so the last two seasons sucked and you still want to give this another shot? You might want to take a long look in the mirror when it comes to your TV viewing decisions.

Why wouldn't I give it a chance when each new season has nothing to do with the previous one? It's clear you don't agree with what I spend my time watching on TV, so just ignore my opinions like most everyone else.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2023 3:34 pm 

Getting some pretty good reviews. I'll be out of town until the weekend but will likely watch the first two and decide if it's worth continuing.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2023 8:59 pm 

pizza_Place: world famous
T-Bone wrote:
shakes wrote:

Why wouldn't I give it a chance when each new season has nothing to do with the previous one? It's clear you don't agree with what I spend my time watching on TV, so just ignore my opinions like most everyone else.

:lol:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:44 am 

started this last night, just watched the 1st episode. it was OK, enough to watch the 2nd episode in the queue.

haven't been introduced to jon hamm's character quite yet but in previews it looks like he's going to be a villain.

nothing really stood out in this premiere, a few good scenes here and there. but kinda blah...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:26 am 

I was able to watch the first sequence in the school auditorium, but had to turn it off to get some other things done. May not get to it until this weekend.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 12:23 pm 

pizza_Place: What??
I don't do week to week series. I'll wait to start watching like the 3rd to last episode so I can watch it at my convenience over a 2 week period.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:59 pm 

watched the 2nd episode, and things are taking a lot more shape. hamm is indeed a villain--another trump archetype. steve from "stranger things" plays the white scumbag cop archetype. both are good actors so they're very believable.

there are clear references to the movie with some surface changes. like, the limp-dicked husband of the kidnapped wife is not the mastermind, he's the innocent guy caught in the middle. he works at a used car lot just like jerry lundegaard did. but his being told to "stay at the kiddie table" isn't because of his lack of spine as much as it is his inability to recognize something is afoot.

i like the actor who plays him. he kinda reminds me of robert carradine. and it's kind of a funny purposeful irony i guess, casting an indian-american actress as a...native american character. she's good, too.

this episode was definitely more entertaining. i think it could be a good season. juno temple's great in it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:29 am 

DLR

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 8:26 am 

W_Z wrote:
started this last night, just watched the 1st episode. it was OK, enough to watch the 2nd episode in the queue.

haven't been introduced to jon hamm's character quite yet but in previews it looks like he's going to be a villain.

nothing really stood out in this premiere, a few good scenes here and there. but kinda blah...

I managed to finish episode 1. I thought it came out of the blocks pretty well. Wasn't expecting that much action and violence right away. The main characters accent isn't believable to me but kind of a minor gripe. Definitely will move to episode 2 and meet more of the characters.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 9:36 am 

In episode 2 you’ll see why.

Besides the usual complete sideways 5-minute interlude, the 3rd episode was really good.

Quite a few big laughs this season so far.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 9:54 am 

this season has been great so far

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 5:27 am 

Finished episode 3 and it’s setting up for big fireworks next week. Has been good this season and seems to have gotten some of that early Fargo seasons vibe back.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 12:12 pm 

4th episode was great. Beginning had “The Strangers” vibes. They definitely push the boundaries of believability but mostly for darkly comic effect.

I know there has already been an explanation online for him, but I think the weak link right now is the Munch lore. I like the character and obviously the significance of his presence in the season, and he’s had some humorous moments as well. But the backstory just seems like, pretentious.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2023 1:26 pm 

W_Z wrote:
4th episode was great. Beginning had “The Strangers” vibes. They definitely push the boundaries of believability but mostly for darkly comic effect.

I know there has already been an explanation online for him, but I think the weak link right now is the Munch lore. I like the character and obviously the significance of his presence in the season, and he’s had some humorous moments as well. But the backstory just seems like, pretentious.

Finished ep 4 at lunch today. The Halloween masks were outstanding. Agree with you on pushing the boundaries of believability but works for the story and it isn't over the top ridiculous. I am not sure what is going on with the Munch character but he is sure playing weird really well. I haven't quite put that flashback of him in Wales together yet with the current character other than I guess he is somehow cursed in his current life.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2023 7:36 am 

Three Golden Globe nominations for the show.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2023 8:44 am 

juno temple will definitely win and she deserves it. she's definitely the central strength of the season.

i think they could have played up the absurdity of an extremely straight-laced woman cop married to a complete ziregolf bro. because they insist on her making serious frowny faces, it looks more like this marriage was arranged rather than her credibly being with the guy. the actor playing the guy is pretty hilarious actually.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2023 9:14 am 

I plan on watching the latest episode this afternoon. The clueless husband has been very funny. I loved him sitting in the hospital bed.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 10:33 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
They really laid it on pretty thick in episode 6.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 10:43 am 

What you mean you didn’t need to have a 5 minute monologue followed by visual support of what a hero victim Nadine/Dottie is?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 10:55 am 

they want to make sure everyone hates Jon Hamm's character

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:05 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
That, and just in case they haven't already made is abundantly clear that Roy -- the domestic abuser and lawless lawman who is funneling weapons to alt-right militia groups -- is a bad person, here is a scene with him smacking his wife while watching Donald Trump on FOX News.

I assume Lorraine (who sounds like Mason Verger from the Hannibal TV series), who began the season as an ultra-conservative taking Christmas card photos with automatic weapons and scoffing at her gender non-confirming grandchild, is in the process of having a significant change of heart.

I'm not sure why Indira is still with Lars. They don't have a child and she has been supporting him financially, and going into debt to do so, for years. She can leave him at any time, but that would spoil the fun of having his character want a maid who will also have sex with him as opposed to an equal partner as a wife.

Why was Lorraine so intent on ruining Vivian Dugger? Was there another reason besides him calling her "lady" during their meeting?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2023 10:05 am 

Tad Queasy wrote:
That, and just in case they haven't already made is abundantly clear that Roy -- the domestic abuser and lawless lawman who is funneling weapons to alt-right militia groups -- is a bad person, here is a scene with him smacking his wife while watching Donald Trump on FOX News.

I assume Lorraine (who sounds like Mason Verger from the Hannibal TV series), who began the season as an ultra-conservative taking Christmas card photos with automatic weapons and scoffing at her gender non-confirming grandchild, is in the process of having a significant change of heart.

I'm not sure why Indira is still with Lars. They don't have a child and she has been supporting him financially, and going into debt to do so, for years. She can leave him at any time, but that would spoil the fun of having his character want a maid who will also have sex with him as opposed to an equal partner as a wife.

Why was Lorraine so intent on ruining Vivian Dugger? Was there another reason besides him calling her "lady" during their meeting?

because she slays, yaaas queen

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2023 11:41 am 

Quote:
Yet the crude engineering of this scene does feed into a larger theme of the episode and the series itself, which has become about united women carving out a place for themselves in a world where the best men are dim and the worst are thoughtless and abusive. Indira’s fight with her husband, who somehow expects her to exchange recipes like the other wives at the country club, serves as a catalyst for her to reconsider her position on Dot.

From the NYT review of the latest episode. I’m not sure if the author is glorifying the notion that the series thinks of the best men as dim, but that is exactly the kind of disingenuous writing I’ve increasingly seen in a lot of newer shows. It makes me wonder what skeletons Noah Hawley has in his closet he’s secretly trying to atone for (and hope no one comes forward with an accusation and such). It’s just such an aggressive way of grandstanding. We got this in droves with “Kevin Can F***k Himself”. Was this a necessary voice Hawley had to hammer into his audience? It just comes off as weak. There’s plenty to like about this season but it really clangs and feels forced.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2023 7:09 pm 

i go back and forth sometimes on whether noah hawley is just a hack who can punch up his writing with fantastic window dressing; or if he's a hack that someone else has punched up his writing with fantastic window dressing.

the commune/puppet show/oh, it was all just a beautiful dream...you can't get much more hokey than that. but, yeah you go girl.

ok, that said; juno temple is still showing her range as a strong actress. the show still has its way of being intriguing and darkly funny.

but man, hawley can be such a hack.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2023 6:14 am 

Last couple episodes have hit a bit of a lull. I hope they can finish up strong.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 5:19 am 

I had to chuckle when the look alikes were on stage parroting the sheriff. Only two more episodes left.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:25 am 

stretching this two more episodes is only strengthening my feelings on hawley as a writer. this plot is extremely thin.

and it only took the oldest cliche in the book for the deputy to leave her husband.