It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:41 pm 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
Director Brett Ratner submitted his resignation as a producer of the 84th Annual Academy Awards Tuesday after coming under fire for making a gay slur.

"He did the right thing for the academy and for himself," Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences President Tom Sherak said Tuesday afternoon. "Words have meaning, and they have consequences. Brett is a good person, but his comments were unacceptable. We all hope this will be an opportunity to raise awareness about the harm that is caused by reckless and insensitive remarks, regardless of the intent."

In a Q&A session last weekend after a screening of his new film, "Tower Heist," Ratner said, "rehearsal is for fags." He then went on Howard Stern's Sirius XM show and talked about masturbation, cunnilingus, pubic hair, the size of his testicles, his sexual encounter with Lindsay Lohan.

Ratner apologized Monday and Sherak seemed to accept his apology, but the drumbeat of criticism continued Tuesday, culminating in Ratner's resignation. It was not immediately clear whether Ratner's handpicked host, Eddie Murphy, would also leave the show, scheduled for late February. Ratner and Murphy did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

Ratner's resignation letter read:

An Open Letter to the Entertainment Industry from Brett Ratner

Dear Colleagues,

Over the last few days, I've gotten a well-deserved earful from many of the people I admire most in this industry expressing their outrage and disappointment over the hurtful and stupid things I said in a number of recent media appearances. To them, and to everyone I've hurt and offended, I'd like to apologize publicly and unreservedly.

As difficult as the last few days have been for me, they cannot compare to the experience of any young man or woman who has been the target of offensive slurs or derogatory comments. And they pale in comparison to what any gay, lesbian, or transgender individual must deal with as they confront the many inequalities that continue to plague our world.

So many artists and craftspeople in our business are members of the LGBT community, and it pains me deeply that I may have hurt them. I should have known this all along, but at least I know it now: words do matter. Having love in your heart doesn't count for much if what comes out of your mouth is ugly and bigoted. With this in mind, and to all those who understandably feel that apologies are not enough, please know that I will be taking real action over the coming weeks and months in an effort to do everything I can both professionally and personally to help stamp out the kind of thoughtless bigotry I've so foolishly perpetuated.

As a first step, I called Tom Sherak this morning and resigned as a producer of the 84th Academy Awards telecast. Being asked to help put on the Oscar show was the proudest moment of my career. But as painful as this may be for me, it would be worse if my association with the show were to be a distraction from the Academy and the high ideals it represents.

I am grateful to GLAAD for engaging me in a dialogue about what we can do together to increase awareness of the important and troubling issues this episode has raised and I look forward to working with them. I am incredibly lucky to have a career in this business that I love with all of my heart and to be able to work alongside so many of my heroes. I deeply regret my actions and I am determined to learn from this experience.

Sincerely, Brett Ratner

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:56 pm 

lol.

hack director anyway. if he never works again, hollywood has lost nothing.

i'm a little surprised i missed him on howard, though. i listen every morning and usually catch the interviews. i wonder when he was on.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:07 pm 

W_Z wrote:
lol.

i'm a little surprised i missed him on howard, though. i listen every morning and usually catch the interviews. i wonder when he was on.

It's amazing how many Hollyweird types go on that show and talk about private stuff to please that skinny,goofy looking clown. They don't want to come off looking uptight so they spill all kinds of personal info.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:31 am 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
W_Z wrote:
lol.

He was on Monday morning. I did think he was pretty candid for a big-name type guy. I'm sure if you listen any of the next 5 days that show will be replayed about 46 times on Howard 100 and Howard 101.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:39 pm 

don't need to; it's on youtube. i didn't realize THAT was ratner...i didn't hear all of it though.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Ed Murphy resigned as this years Oscar host in support of Ratner being given the axe to direct them.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:56 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
badrogue17 wrote:
Ed Murphy resigned as this years Oscar host in support of Ratner being given the axe to direct them.

Maybe he found out there's going to be rehearsals now.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:55 pm 

badrogue17 wrote:

Maybe his thoughts towards gay people havent changed from 1983 to 2011, despite what happened in 1997.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
FavreFan wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:

Maybe his thoughts towards gay people havent changed from 1983 to 2011, despite what happened in 1997.

That shemale was gay :shock: ?!?!?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:58 pm 

i don't think eddie could be eddie anyway in that environment.

just let crystal host them until he's gotta be in a home or dies.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Here's a thought

All Oscars awarded by press release

No shitty, bloated, boring ass awards show to worry about.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:44 pm 

you could say that about any awards ceremony. if they could get into the 21st century they should just let timberlake host it. but i've said that more than spmack has been waiting to see that one version of "halloween 2" that never gets aired.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:45 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
W_Z wrote:
you could say that about any awards ceremony.

I usually do

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:39 pm 

W_Z wrote:
you could say that about any awards ceremony. if they could get into the 21st century they should just let timberlake host it. but i've said that more than spmack has been waiting to see that one version of "halloween 2" that never gets aired.

Agreed. He killed the espys. Eddie hasnt been Eddie in decades anyways.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:41 pm 

pizza_Place: *
FavreFan wrote:
Eddie hasnt been Eddie in decades anyways.

No traces of you, what can I do?
Alone and confused

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's Pizza
The man in charge of the Academy Awards, President Tom Sherak, has appointed a replacement who believe it or not has ties to both director Brett Ratner & actor/comedian Eddie Murphy, according to TMZ.com. He's Brian Grazer, who produced such films as "Apollo 13" & "A Beautiful Mind". Interestingly enough, Grazer's a producer on "Tower Heist", the new movie Ratner directs and stars Murphy & Ben Stiller.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:54 pm 

W_Z wrote:
just let crystal host them until he's gotta be in a home or dies.

ding ding.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:04 pm 

sjboyd0137 wrote:
Here's a thought

All Oscars awarded by press release

No shitty, bloated, boring ass awards show to worry about.

I watch the Oscars for three reasons.

Reason One & Two: Best Cleavage Award

Reason three: To see if by a longshot,a movie I actually liked gets an Oscar.