It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:23 am 

Best Family Ties Ever (despite no appearance by Uncle Ned)
Best "A very special episode" ever
Best gimmick episode by a sitcom ever

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:24 am 

:shock: I been watching this

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:27 am 

Never seen it?

Part two is on next.

Im off tommorow. I just perused the on demand movies. Its the Wrestler or this (seen a lot of the wrestler, not from begginning to end)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:30 am 

I've seen it before, but its been a long time. I don't remember how the 2nd part goes. Always liked Family Ties. Ms. Bateman was one of my first loves as a young boy

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:32 am 

MJF is a real good actor. Especially for a sitcom.

POWERFUL shit

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:07 am 

pizza_Place: Duneland Pizza
That one remains a head-scratcher -- a bit too forced for me.
This is supposed to be about the death of Alex's best friend -- but I don't remember the character being a part of previous shows.
At least with The "very special" 90120 episode, the character that dies (Scott) was a part of the previous shows. I could understand what David was going through, since I could actually see Scott doing things with his friend.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:44 am 

i kinda see what you're saying BM, but this was meant to be more of a character exploration of Alex having to look at himself rather than a story about losing a friend. it's more of a breakdown of alex's inability to "feel" and deal with his emotions...like when alex doesn't know how to react to his grandfather dying.

in fact, the way that he dismisses the funeral in the beginning, would've been really insulting to the audience if we *had* known the friend at all.

my problem with that 3 parter (which DOES feature michael j. fox's best acting job), is the cheap laugh moments...like they know it's getting too serious so they throw in a cheap joke to break the tension. it's one thing to make a joke and lighten the mood but fox was so sincere...it just ruins the moment.

also wasn't a fan of the therapist's voice. just sounded condescending and annoying.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:25 am 

W_Z wrote:
i kinda see what you're saying BM, but this was meant to be more of a character exploration of Alex having to look at himself rather than a story about losing a friend. it's more of a breakdown of alex's inability to "feel" and deal with his emotions...like when alex doesn't know how to react to his grandfather dying.

Absolutely. Well said. I knew you were going to answer that post.

Also, it wouldnt be an 80's show if there werent huge leaps like the main character's best friend showing up once....to die

W_Z wrote:
my problem with that 3 parter (which DOES feature michael j. fox's best acting job), is the cheap laugh moments...like they know it's getting too serious so they throw in a cheap joke to break the tension. it's one thing to make a joke and lighten the mood but fox was so sincere...it just ruins the moment.

I dont totally agree. I mean the Grant college jokes are lame but some of them worked. The jokes inside the flashbacks were good like Alex's thoughts on the Orioles having better cash flow than the Phillies or Malarie being bad at faking sick.

Actually one of the jokes made me laugh out loud last night. I forgot it and didnt see it coming when Alex did the "IM PAYING YOU FOR THIS"

W_Z wrote:
also wasn't a fan of the therapist's voice. just sounded condescending and annoying.

Purposeful I think. I see the therapist as the antagonist to Alex's twisted protaganist. It had to be an annoying voice.

They should have had an Uncle Ned flashback.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:46 am 

i don't mean to say that all the jokes were bad...i did laugh. it's just that sometimes it was too jarring. you're in the moment, really feeling something for alex...and then it's broken up at an inopportune time. it's a bit uneven that way but for the most part, it is a great example of how good that show could be.

i think "say uncle" is even better as far as balancing the drama and comedy...and tom hanks is outstanding.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:49 am 

pizza_Place: Frozen
rogers park bryan wrote:
POWERFUL shit

You deserve it, buddy. Congrats...