It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Muppets
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Geo's Pizza
Took my daughter to see this last night. Here is the recap. Got up to the movie theater around 7:30. We sat down to watch the commercials before the previews and WOW are there are a lot of commercials. 30 minutes straight. Finally got to the previews. When Taylor Swift was on the TV, just about half the theater screamed her name in delight. She is in a new movie coming next year. My daughter spent the rest of the movie asking why we didnt go see the Taylor Swift movie. There was a brief moment or two where she wasnt asking this, like during the Toy Story short. By the way, the Toy Story short was pretty funny. It was rejected toy from a restaurant therapy. Later she played several apps I downloaded to the IPhone. Today I asked her what her favorite part of the Muppets movie was and she said the part with Taylor Swift.

Post subject: Re: The Muppets
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Sounds like a ringing endorsement.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:23 am 

pizza_Place: A few...
Interesting. How old is your daughter? Ours is 8 and I'm taking her to see it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:02 am 

pizza_Place: Frozen
I saw it last night and thought it was pretty good...

...we thought the Toy Story short sucked.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:42 am 

pizza_Place: Geo's Pizza
She is almost 7. I liked the movie. She just never engaged. Some background... she has watched the TV show and really liked it. She knew who the Muppets were. Really likes the Swedish Chef. She has watched the first movie and fell asleep half way through it. For this movie, I think the song and dance numbers were stretched too long and because there was no engagement of who the characters were, it got boring. I think they should have focused more on The Muppet Show itself, but Im not an expert with movie direction. It was nostalgic for me at best. The Muppet Show bits were good. It mostly captured the TV show.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:28 am 

i'm torn on it. i like that jason segel's involved because he's a genuine guy and his heart's in the right place. but something just doesn't feel right without henson.

the other thing is that it has a "scrubs" like level of enthusiasm that turns me off a little. i realize the muppets are geared toward kids, and if i were a kid i'd be stoked. but i'm not...and it just looks like a little too too much.

i had a chance to go see it with some folks but decided not to. eh...i don't know. if it's a good family film, that's great. i do think it's a little bit of a shame that it's not G rated. first theatrical muppet movie not to be G.

and did they have to employ basically ever sitcom actor out there now? especially of the NBC variety?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:46 pm 

I just saw it with my kids. We all liked it and I don't think any of them have ever seen the muppets.

As far as the rating, I have no idea why it wouldn't be G?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:44 pm 

Took my kids to see it this afternoon and they loved it.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Papa Johns
RFDC wrote:
Took my kids to see it this afternoon and they loved it.

Good to hear. I fucking love The Muppet's to death, good stuff all around. My wife thought I was on drugs or something when I got visibly giddy during the advertisements on the TV.

I'm going to see this movie and if my wife doesn't like it I'm going to trade her in for a bag of pot and some spray paint.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Boboli
Took my kids (7 & 4) today. The 7 y.o. was engaged and liked it a lot. It seemed a bit to much for the 4 y.o. to follow, but she still seemed entertained.

I thought the first couple of songs were kind of drawn out, but the others fit (and the Muppet or Man one was pretty hilarious & Chris Cooper's number was unexpected). Lots of BRIEF cameos which made really no sense at all (WTF was Mickey Rooney doing in this movie?).

Overall, I found it entertaining (I was a HUGE muppets fan as a kid). It wasn't too nostalgic and it wasn't over the top with "adult" references. I'd recommend it. And, Amy Adams has gotten fatter.