It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:18 am 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
The controversy over Late Night With Jimmy Fallon‘s choice of the 1985 Fishbone song Lyin’ Ass Bitch as intro music for guest Michele Bachmann shows no signs of subsiding. Conservative bloggers started the campaign on Tuesday morning, right after the show aired Monday night. Last night, Fallon apologized to the presidential candidate over the phone and via Twitter. “I’m honored that @michelebachmann was on our show yesterday and I’m so sorry about the intro mess,” Fallon wrote on Twitter. “I really hope she comes back.” Appearing on Fox News Channel’s America’s Newsroom this morning, Bachmann said that she accepts the comedian’s apology but insisted that the network that aired the broadcast, NBC, should apologize too. “If that had been Michelle Obama, who’d come out on the stage, and if that song had been played for Michelle Obama, I have no doubt that NBC would have apologized to her and likely they would have fired the drummer, or at least suspended him,” Bachmann said. “None of that happened from NBC. And this is clearly a form of bias on the part of the Hollywood entertainment elite, but it’s also, I think, sexism as well. This wouldn’t be tolerated if this was Michelle Obama; it shouldn’t be tolerated if it’s a conservative woman either.” So far, the only disciplinary measure toward Questlove, the drummer of Late Night‘s house band The Roots reportedly responsible for the song choice, came in a form of a tweet from Fallon yesterday, “?uestLove is grounded.” Bachmann on Tuesday received support from an unlikely ally, Democratic Congresswoman Nita Lowey. “The choice of song to introduce Michele Bachmann on Late Night With Jimmy Fallon last night was insulting and inappropriate,” she said in a statement. “I do not share Michele Bachmann’s politics, but she deserves to be treated with respect. No female politician — and no woman — should be subjected to sexist and offensive innuendo like she was last night. The Roots, Jimmy Fallon, and NBC should apologize.”

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:19 am 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
UPDATE:

Michele Bachmann has received an apology from NBC over the song choice flap during her appearance on the network’s Late Night With Jimmy Fallon on Monday when the show’s house band performed the 1985 Fishbone song Lyin’ Ass Bitch while she was walking out on stage. The apology was made in a personal letter from NBC’s VP late night Doug Vaughan. According to Bachmann’s spokeswoman Alice Stewart cited by the AP, Vaughan wrote that the incident was “not only unfortunate but also unacceptable.” She said Vaughn offered his sincerest apologies and said the band had been “severely reprimanded.”

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:06 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 6 characters
I thought it was hilarious.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:29 am 

pizza_Place: Boboli
jimmypasta wrote:
...and said the band had been “severely reprimanded.”

It was reported that the band was grounded, which is just about the right response.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:35 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
I think it's funny as hell, but Bachmann has a point. If that had been Michelle Obama or Nacny Pelosi in a similar situation the Sunday op-ed pages would be filled with denunciations of Fallon, ?uestlove, and NBC. As it is, conservatives will have to settle for ?uestlove appearing on "Pinhead or Patriot".

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:43 am 
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
I think it's funny as hell, but Bachmann has a point. If that had been Michelle Obama or Nacny Pelosi in a similar situation the Sunday op-ed pages would be filled with denunciations of Fallon, ?uestlove, and NBC. As it is, conservatives will have to settle for ?uestlove appearing on "Pinhead or Patriot".

Not sure why they have to apologize for truth.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:43 am 

It was sexist

Should have gone with

"Let Dem Ho's Fight"

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:51 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Baby McNown wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Not sure why they have to apologize for truth.

Do you think Joe Wilson should have had to apologize for the truth? I don't think the point was ever that Obama isn't a liar- he clearly is- it's that we assume a certain level of respect for the office of the President and, as such, we expect members of Congress to refrain from heckling whoever might hold said office at a given time.

With regard to a guest on a television talk show, I think the key word is "guest". I'm sure you can understand how inviting a person into one's home (or onto one's TV show as the case may be) and then mocking them might be considered bad form.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:57 am 
Maybe if Bachman gave the office of the Presidency the respect that you think she deserves as a member of Congress the band wouldn't have played a song with that title.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:14 am 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Meh

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:32 am 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
Very funny. Of course it was an nbc network (Gotta keep appearances, conservatives vs. Nbc ya know?)...

Good job Jimmy...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:35 am 

Baby McNown wrote:
Maybe if Bachman gave the office of the Presidency the respect that you think she deserves as a member of Congress the band wouldn't have played a song with that title.

J.O.R.R. you cant make a point with a idiot, quit wasting your time with this mental midget.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:54 am 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
Jimmy Fallon might possibly be the least funny comedian-TV talk show host in the history of TV.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:04 am 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Scorehead wrote:
Jimmy Fallon might possibly be the least funny comedian-TV talk show host in the history of TV.

Chevy Chase, George Lopez, and Craig Kilbourn disagree.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:24 am 

pizza_Place: Il-Forno in Deerfield
Terry's Peeps wrote:
Scorehead wrote:

Chevy Chase, George Lopez, and Craig Kilbourn disagree.

Magic Johnson & Pat Sajak also.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:36 am 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
I just got those out of my head.

Thanks a lot.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:37 am 

Pretty sure craig ferguson and carson daly are a lot less funny than JF...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:47 am 

So is Jay Leno

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:49 am 

sjboyd0137 wrote:
So is Jay Leno

Ah yes... David Letterman some nights as well...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:49 am 

Actually id put jimmy on that 2nd tier of late night funny behind stewart, colbert, and conan...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:12 am 

Letterman hasn't been funny since the heart attack. Leno's real target audience is in bed by the time he's on. Fallon isn't funny. He wasn't funny on SNL, either. I don't think I've ever watched Carson Daly...if I'm awake at 1 in the morning or whenever he's on AND watching TV, there's usually something better involved. Craig Ferguson sucks. I think the only talk show I actually get a few laughs out of anymore is Jimmy Kimmel.

The problem is that they, along with their writers, have an extremely difficult job when it comes to writing jokes. One wrong word about anything, and whichever special interest group is attached to is is calling to boycott your sponsors and get you shitcanned. It's worse than the censorship that Standards & Practices used to put on shows (watch the special about the first 5 years of SNL, and you'll get what I mean). Special interest groups have way too much power in this country...it's half the reason it's going to hell...the other half being that the government, those that anyone who has voted have elected...both sides of the aisle, have their own best interests (making money) ahead of the good of the country.

Personally, I think a better choice of song for The Roots' intro of Batshit Bachmann would have been Buckcherry's "Crazy Bitch"

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:21 am 

Dam. Boyd, Im gonna cry... You're wide awake on this topic... Good shit...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:39 am 

I feel like the golden age for free-ish expression on American television ran from the early 90's to the Timberlake/Jackson incident...if you think back to the mid and late 90's, there was a lot of good stuff out there for everyone. It was also a time of not overreacting. There were of course things like the whole mom whose kid lit his house on fire and she blamed Beavis and Butthead, but that just proves that morons are everywhere. My greater point is that there was a lot more "family filtering" going on, meaning that parents would watch certain controversial things with their kids, and then they would talk about stuff. The good ol' days for Gen X, if you will.

Somewhere along the line, everyone got overly PC...I'm not sure where I was, but I'm pretty sure I missed it. This happened right around the turn of the century, I think. This was right about the point where new parents, ones that were part of my generation growing up in the late 80's/early 90's, and a little before me, started to push out kids. The ones who may have felt that their parents were tough on them and whatnot started to cottle them, which has almost directly led to the fact that there are a lot of little fat fuck kids running around out there...mommy doesn't want to be mean, so she lets little tubby sit on his ass watching TV or playing video games instead of sending him out to play. There's no balance, and there is very little supervision. These kids get free reign on a remote control that holds the power of 200 plus channels that most parents don't care enough to block (this is one of the few things I give my dad and step-mom credit for...I have a 6 year old brother, and anything the deem inappropriate for his age has the channel blocked). Now we're in a situation where these lazy ass parents are expecting someone else to police the content for them...hence the rise in the special interest groups, like the Parents Television Council. These people go out of their way to basically demand that some writers in Hollywood or wherever do the parenting instead of the mom or dad sitting 10 feet away from little fatty.

Look at television in any European country...nudity, sex, etc...not really the violence (which I don't really see here either...I mean it's not like some dude is getting double tapped in the temple on CSI or something). Those countries don't seem to have the values issues that are going on here, because the parents there are the ones being responsible.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:43 am 

pizza_Place: Ban me
B-Mac wrote:
Fox News has said much worse about Michelle Obama and all you righties know it.

:wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

Awesome.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:46 am 

Yeah, lobbyists and special interest groups have helped to ruin this country...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:50 am 

HOVA wrote:
B-Mac wrote:
Fox News has said much worse about Michelle Obama and all you righties know it.

:wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

Michelle Bachman has probably said worse things about Michelle Obama...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Duneland Pizza
According to politifact.com, examined 48 recent comments from Michelle Bachman and rated 35 of them false -- including 10 Pants on Fire.
The song fits -- I just think the Roots shouldn't have played it.

Last edited by Brian's Mojito on Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:51 pm 
Shhhhhh. You can't possibly check facts on Republican "Presidential Candidate". It's not fair. It's just gotcha questions. They must be treated with the utmost respect at all times and never questioned ;-)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Duneland Pizza
To be fair, President Obama has four pants on fire comments -- out of 328 rated statements.
Here's his breakdown
True 79
Mostly True 74
Half True 79
Mostly False 41
False 51

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:36 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 6 characters
I don't remember seeing anyone's pants smoldering.