It is currently Fri Jun 07, 2024 12:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: X-Men: First Class
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:39 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Saw this over the weekend. I'm not much of an X-Men guy. I've seen the other movies and a couple were good but I don't know the whole X-Men story so I didn't have very high expectations for this movie. But, I thought it was really quite good. It was interesting to see the origin story on Xavier and Magneto.

I think they should have called the movie something else like "Rise of Magneto" or something. The title made me expect the film to focus on that loser group of kids instead what it did focus on which was X and Magneto.

I liked it better than Super 8.

Post subject: Re: X-Men: First Class
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
I too enjoyed it more than Super 8. I thought the writing was good enough, and the backstories were neat.

The ending was a little weak in my opinion, however.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:17 am 

I liked it but Beast looked too much like a muppett.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
Lot of T&A in this one. Wasn't thrilled by it, liked Wolverine better than this one and I didn't like Wolverine much.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:48 pm 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
Wolverine was actually the best part in that one. In roughly 5 seconds he was instantly cooler than anyone else in the movie.

I thought that January Jones was utter shit as Emma Frost... she wasn't looking especially hot (which is pretty hard to fuck up) and she just seemed smug and disinterested to be there. I couldn't decide if I wanted to nail the new Mystique, and I was surprised to find out that the one girl with the insect wings is Lenny Kravitz and Lisa Bonet's daughter.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:44 pm 

i finally saw this over the holidays.

you know, one of the worst things about this movie is how much it kind of invalidates the trilogy because so much effort is spent on the relationship between x and magneto, that in the third film, you feel even more slighted on the fate of the professor.

my other problem is that the stakes aren't that high since we already know what happens to all of these characters--my biggest problem with prequels. where's the drama?

the best part of the film is the relationship between x and magneto, for sure. the other characters are useless for the most part and only seem to serve the special effects budget. the real miss is mystique. they cast her beautifully, but she has nowhere to go with her character. she's rejected for seemingly ridiculous and hypocritical reasons by her own step brother X and by beast for rejecting himself as a mutant. she's rejected by magneto because she isn't embracing herself ENOUGH. it's really odd the way they handle her character. you really feel bad for her; but there's never really a climax or result with her.

most of the special effects are well done; and i saw this on blue-ray (i'm not as impressed as a lot of other people are; to me it has too much of an unearthly real feeling to it...the clarity sometimes looks awkward rather than dazzling).

the cameo sequence is nice; wolverine's is funny but like a lot of this film...you see it coming from a mile away. there just isn't a lot of surprises except my biggest: that you have this incredibly tentative time in america, and they do nothing to exploit that plot point. none of these characters seem to really care about what could happen in the event of nuclear war...they just want to bounce nicknames off each other and show off their special talents.

there's a lot missing, there are some holes and inconsistencies...but overall i did enjoy the film. the scenes between X and magneto hold a distinct and superb power that carry throughout the film. you really want to see these guys remain friends. and kevin bacon is very good as the villain--it's just that in x-men movies, i like that the villain isn't as bleak as this one is. usually we can sometimes even see magneto's side of things...here, the guy's instantly easy to hate.

it's probably the most powerful and effective of all the x-men films; sadly, all that does is hurt the franchise.

:D :D :D out of :D :D :D :D