It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:47 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:59 am 

Knowing already that most of you on this board don't care for T&E (but for some reason like "Family Guy" and internet memes), I'm still going to give my thoughts as I watched it last night from OnDemand and I am a fan of the show.

Unfortunately, this movie isn't really for anybody but Tim and Eric fans and even then...it's a tad disappointing. There are some big laughs and some funny concepts (I like the parody style of the "knowing your movie" motif interjected throughout the movie); but the disappointment comes from the fact that the story of the film is formulaic. I was hoping with these two guys that they would take a different approach and mock formula pictures and what people typically do when they try to bring a show to a full length feature film. This just kind of follows the formula, after a pretty funny satire of opening credits in the beginning.

The cameos are for the most part funny but Will Forte's is less than stellar; and I was hoping to see John C. Reilly reprise Dr. Steve Brule. Actually I was hoping to see a few T&E regulars appear in the film. Instead they go for new stuff, and some of it just seemed stiff. The film had some inspired moments but just not enough. As I watched it, I laughed a lot and some of it I loved...but I kept looking at my watch to see how much more of it there was.

Sometimes TV show-to-movies can attract more than just the fanbase. "The X-Files: Fight the Future" was a pretty big success and actually got two thumbs up from s&e who didn't follow the show. Ditto on "Beavis & Butt-head Do America" and even "Wayne's World" could serve as an example. But "Tim and Eric's Billion Dollar Movie" just misses the mark as being a standard for T&E viewing...and as for those who don't follow it...you're probably not going to become a fan by just watching this.

Mixed review from me...

:D :D :) out of :D :D :D :D

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:45 am 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
i tried with these two asshats, but they're just not funny.

seriously, with their self-avowed "awesome show" i dig the whole retro vibe its got going on... the professionally-slick intentionally crappy production values that make you pine for 80s newscasts / local cable access, that's cool.... but like, to borrow an old meme from saturday night live, it's definitely trying to be some funny strange(/awkward/painful/etc) as opposed to funny-haha.

and it's just not funny... i mean i've tried again and again and again but there's nothing there. their fans assure me that it's beyond me, cuz the humor is THERE and i'm just not clever enough to get it... but let's call a spade a spade here, i'm clever enough to catch any damn thing... hell, i find a whole lot of "bad" straightforward television hilarious and i've even tabbled into some of that mst3k/rifftrax world of "riffing" where THE WHOLE POINT IS FINDING HUMOR WHERE YOU LEAST EXPECT IT, and alas, i find none here.

my brother is the big mst-ie in the family and he doesn't get tim and eric... it's just like.... ok then. and every time you see their slickly-packaged show and see that fucking ham john c reilly do his steve brule thing i honestly want to like it... i just can't. forgive me, i like laughing too much. it must be one of my inherent character flaws, eh? =D

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:50 am 

also, i find an inherent flaw with your rating... if you "keep looking at [your] watch to see how much more of it there was" then it's not a three star movie. a three star movie should be better than average, a nice solid "good" movie, as you're literally talking 75%ile here, and it should keep you satiated enough to where you want the ride to continue. if a movie's any good, shoot, you want it to keep marching forward and kicking ass... if it blows, then you look at your watch like "wow... this is bad how much longer?"

and when the movie is 94 damn minutes long and you're looking at your watch like "how much longer?" well that tells me something; it tells me that you're secretly just like me, whether you want to admit it or not, and that's deep down somewhere you know i'm right in that you WANT TO LIKE tim and eric more than you actually DO like time and eric.

and they seem like really smarmy picks too, IMO, but maybe that's just their personas. they ain't tosh-levels-of, well, to use a british term, tosh--- but you just get this vibe that they, like their true blue fans, think they're the smartest most geniusness-wielding people around and if you don't like their stuff, the fault lies with you and not with them. fuck that fuck them queer-o's write funny shit and i'll support!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:51 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
I'm not sure how I have never seen their work on TV but judging just from that trailer I would watch this over Family Guy and day.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:57 am 

maybe i'll check out this movie and give it a fair shake. lord knows i need to do a proper post-maddoxian writeup about these guys and well, shit, what do i have to lose?

so W_Z, in the spirits of brotherhood and fairness, i'll give this movie a chance and let you know what i think. godspeed!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:57 am 

sinicalypse wrote:
also, i find an inherent flaw with your rating... if you "keep looking at [your] watch to see how much more of it there was" then it's not a three star movie. a three star movie should be better than average, a nice solid "good" movie, as you're literally talking 75%ile here, and it should keep you satiated enough to where you want the ride to continue. if a movie's any good, shoot, you want it to keep marching forward and kicking ass... if it blows, then you look at your watch like "wow... this is bad how much longer?"

and when the movie is 94 damn minutes long and you're looking at your watch like "how much longer?" well that tells me something; it tells me that you're secretly just like me, whether you want to admit it or not, and that's deep down somewhere you know i'm right in that you WANT TO LIKE tim and eric more than you actually DO like time and eric.

and they seem like really smarmy picks too, IMO, but maybe that's just their personas. they ain't tosh-levels-of, well, to use a british term, tosh--- but you just get this vibe that they, like their true blue fans, think they're the smartest most geniusness-wielding people around and if you don't like their stuff, the fault lies with you and not with them. fuck that fuck them queer-o's write funny shit and i'll support!

all right, i'm doing away with the half stars then...i think this is the 3rd time i've had to explain that a :) is half and :D is full. so no more :) 's.

i give it :D :D . i'm not recommending it.

as far as getting it or not getting it--you either find it funny or you don't. i get "family guy"--i just don't find it funny. i find tim and eric hilarious. inherently i think they're funny and i think their style is funny. i don't necessarily like "weird for the sake of weird" and some stuff they do doesn't work for me. overall i enjoy their stuff though.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:08 pm 

pizza_Place: Duneland Pizza
Contradiction alarm has sounded.
If it's not about whether you "get it" or not, why -- in the next sentence -- use that as part of your critique of Family Guy?
Using your theory I can say that "I get" Tim and Eric, but I just don't find them funny. I'll steer clear of that contradiction and just stick with "I don't think they're funny."

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:49 pm 

Brian's Mojito wrote:
Contradiction alarm has sounded.
If it's not about whether you "get it" or not, why -- in the next sentence -- use that as part of your critique of Family Guy?
Using your theory I can say that "I get" Tim and Eric, but I just don't find them funny. I'll steer clear of that contradiction and just stick with "I don't think they're funny."

you can get a joke and not find it funny. like you understand what they were doing, why they were doing it, why they thought it was funny.

i get that "family guy" is basically like a joke randomizer and the heightening of the energy and making it over the top is the point of it. i just don't find that particular kind of humor funny unless they do it ironically, which is what tim and eric sometimes do.

unless we're talking about two kinds of get...are there two kinds of get? got...er...ehh...forget it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Duneland Pizza
Why do you like Archer but dislike Family Guy?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:52 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
immessedup17 wrote:
Brian's Mojito wrote:

One is funny, the other is not.

They're both funny.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:56 pm 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
Family Guy isn't as funny as it used to be, but the past few episodes have been nice.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:58 pm 

spmack wrote:
Family Guy isn't as funny as it used to be, but the past few episodes have been nice.

That's true.

The past couple seasons were meh. But the first 7 seasons are great.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:12 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
First seven? I'll give you the original series and maybe the first season after the relaunch.

Tim and Eric is meant to be consumed in 30-second bites at 4 in the morning. I don't think I want to watch an entire movie.

http://video.adultswim.com/tim-and-eric ... /dump.html

My favorite Tim and Eric bit, mostly because of Bob Odenkirk.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:26 pm 

Yes first 7.

Obviously not every episode, but most were very good to great.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:30 pm 

Brian's Mojito wrote:

they operate at different levels. "family guy" relies heavily on fast jokes and loads of pop culture references. but i think macfarlane just takes the lowest common denominator of what's funny and shovels it into the episodes. i think it's over the top and desperate to make people laugh. i felt the same way about "scrubs". i prefer subtlety most of the time.

on the other hand, "archer" relies more on the gimmick of the "improv voice actor" which can work really well when you have a talent like h. john benjamin. i don't like it as much as everyone else on here, i think sometimes it's a tad annoying. but for the most part, i like the spy spoof motif and the relationships between the characters are well developed. archer vs. his mother, archer vs. lana...those really drive the show. everything else is ancillary but still can be very funny. i like chris parnell in it a lot.

i actually agree with CH that "family guy" was decent when it first came out like 10 years ago...it seemed fresh. when they brought it back i just didn't like the avenue it went. yeah, it has 80's references. wow. i'm so impressed. thanks for patronizing my generation.

yeah, i'm a comedy snob as well as a film and beer snob. deal with it!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:38 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
W_Z wrote:
i actually agree with CH that "family guy" was decent when it first came out like 10 years ago...it seemed fresh. when they brought it back i just didn't like the avenue it went. yeah, it has 80's references. wow. i'm so impressed. thanks for patronizing my generation.

Family Guy had the good fortune of debuting right as The Simpsons went into its precipitous decline. Had it had to run concurrent with the golden years and not "Lisa's Room Becomes A Cell Phone Tower" or "Homer Becomes Alec Baldwin's Personal Assistant," it would've been The Critic Mark II.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Papa Johns
W_Z wrote:
Brian's Mojito wrote:

they operate at different levels. "family guy" relies heavily on fast jokes and loads of pop culture references. but i think macfarlane just takes the lowest common denominator of what's funny and shovels it into the episodes. i think it's over the top and desperate to make people laugh. i felt the same way about "scrubs". i prefer subtlety most of the time.

on the other hand, "archer" relies more on the gimmick of the "improv voice actor" which can work really well when you have a talent like h. john benjamin. i don't like it as much as everyone else on here, i think sometimes it's a tad annoying. but for the most part, i like the spy spoof motif and the relationships between the characters are well developed. archer vs. his mother, archer vs. lana...those really drive the show. everything else is ancillary but still can be very funny. i like chris parnell in it a lot.

yeah, i'm a comedy snob as well as a film and beer snob. deal with it!

I pretty much agree with this.

It was fresh at one point and now it's overstaying its welcome by a few years, maybe more. A show that relies on 'Lowest Common Denominator Humor' by the bucket full every single episode can't last long or be consistent for very long. It has been trying way to hard for too long. All the pop culture references, stuff that has nothing to do with the story's cutting in, "Sideshow Bob stepping on rakes" type jokes and the story lines are fucking dumb and make me turn the show off. But Pete we have to get the kids to go out and date! Meg is ugly! Stewie said something about something! We're moving to somewhere else for an episode!

The Simpsons was consistently good, funny and clever for about 7 seasons with patchy quality in seasons 8/9 and it was straight downhill after that. Family Guy was just fine for a season or 2 maybe 3 and now it's weak..................................LAST WEEK. speaking of good shows that went on a bit too long.

The well has run dry.

You can keep it, all of it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:45 pm 

SomeGuy wrote:
It has been trying way to hard for too long.

Shhheaah...the whole thing smacks of effort, man!

simpsons reference there from the good seasons...and i agree with you, except i'd put it after season 10...i still liked some of that one.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
Curious Hair wrote:
W_Z wrote:

Family Guy had the good fortune of debuting right as The Simpsons went into its precipitous decline. Had it had to run concurrent with the golden years and not "Lisa's Room Becomes A Cell Phone Tower" or "Homer Becomes Alec Baldwin's Personal Assistant," it would've been The Critic Mark II.

The Critic was great. Second best animated show of all time. Makes Family Guy look like crap.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:01 pm 

I knew I hated Hank Scorpion for a reason.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:54 pm 

Hank Scorpio wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
W_Z wrote:

The Critic was great. Second best animated show of all time. Makes Family Guy look like crap.

My guy! I always liked The Critic. Probably part of it was its limited run. Second best of all time though? That spot is reserved for the feathered private dick. Image

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:59 am 

i only caught a few episodes of "duckman" but i did like it. it was obscure, for sure.

"the critic" had a lot more potential than it was ever given the chance to live up to.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:55 am 

Duckman had it's moments but I can still watch the Critic and laugh my ass off like I never saw it before. Duke Phillips and Franklin Sherman are amazing, every scene they are in makes me laugh.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:55 am 

pizza_Place: ------
The Tick is a better cartoon than Duckman or The Critic.

Chus wrote:
RPB is right. You suck. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:59 am 

Phil McCracken wrote:

SPOOOOOON!

I might argee with Duckman but never The Critic. If The Critic stuck around for a few more years my username would probably be Franklin Sherman and I would move it to the number 1 ranking.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:00 pm 

pizza_Place: ------
Hank Scorpio wrote:
Phil McCracken wrote:

SPOOOOOON!

I might argee with Duckman but never The Critic. If The Critic stuck around for a few more years my username would probably be Franklin Sherman and I would move it to the number 1 ranking.

That makes me sad.

Chus wrote:
RPB is right. You suck. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:19 pm 

"the tick" was pretty awesome. i actually am one of the few people i know, too, that also enjoyed the extremely short lived live action "tick" show. not great, but it was funny i thought. and patrick warburton was perfect as the tick.

another animated show i liked as an adolescent was "freakazoid". cosgrove!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:23 pm 

pizza_Place: art of pizza
I haven't seen B$M, but I want to. The purpose of this post is just to state that I think pretty much every show mentioned in this thread is hilarious.