It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:37 am 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
good dolphin wrote:
Roy Hobbs strikes out in the book

yep, about as big a difference as you can find between book and movie. Movie took the easy way out in this case.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:39 am 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
I thought Field of Dreams was actually better than Shoeless Joes Comes to Iowa.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:40 am 

Psycory wrote:
Two that come to mind right away:
A Clockwork Orange had a vastly different ending.

And sticking with the Kubrick Theme
The Shining is different and (as many of you know) King HATES it. A History professor at my undergrad was obsessed with the movie, he found that the movie was filled with tons of symbolism about Kubrick's feelings about the holocaust.

to be fair about "clockwork", kubrick was given the american edition of the novel which didn't include the last chapter where alex reforms. now, i do think even if that was included, kubrick would've ignored it because he wanted to tell more of a story of government control rather than personal redemption. kubrick didn't give a fuck about humanity.

as proved by "the shining" in which king had said "i believe in god" and kubrick responded in a phone conversation in an "icy tone", "i don't."

king always felt that kubrick was "all head and no heart". funny thing, a critic once said of king he's all "heart and no head".

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:10 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 6 characters
W_Z wrote:
"jurassic park" - they captured the gimmick theme that crichton was criticizing but they homogenized it in only the way spielberg could. it still made for a good adventure film but they missed a lot of nice elements in the book. not to mention, ian malcolm dies at the end. and so does john hammond.

I had completely forgotten about that difference, having not read the book in probably 15 years.

I find that Crichton's film adaptations are usually pretty accurate in the grand scheme (with the exception of the Jurrassic Park series). Rising Sun was pretty decent, as was Congo and Sphere. I didn't care much for the film version of Disclosure, however.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:13 am 

Krazy Ivan wrote:
Any movie > Any book

Reading is hard and it takes too long...
My guy! I've been a long time "reading sucks" guy.

Reading is for high school and college kids. The major reason to graduate is so you don't have to waste your time with that any more.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:28 am 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Krazy Ivan wrote:
Any movie > Any book

Reading is for high school and college kids. The major reason to graduate is so you don't have to waste your time with that any more.

Post of the day.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
Pssst. You have been reading this board all morning.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:57 pm 

Ugueth Will Shiv You wrote:
I had completely forgotten about that difference, having not read the book in probably 15 years.

I find that Crichton's film adaptations are usually pretty accurate in the grand scheme (with the exception of the Jurrassic Park series). Rising Sun was pretty decent, as was Congo and Sphere. I didn't care much for the film version of Disclosure, however.

ooo...not gonna agree on "congo". the book was very fun; the movie was a total sham. they camped it up WAY too much.

possibly the worst crichton adaptation was the miniseries of "the andromeda strain" from a few years ago. the original movie was boring but it held true to the book at least. the miniseries was an abomination.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Little Caesar's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Krazy Ivan wrote:
Any movie > Any book

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the Purdue Grad.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
We are not all like Rick.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:48 pm 

pizza_Place: Little Caesar's
Spaulding wrote:
We are not all like Rick.

DISAGREEING W/ ME!!!!!!! That's it, BF is getting a PM!!!!!!!

:wink: :P

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:32 pm 

W_Z wrote:
Ugueth Will Shiv You wrote:

ooo...not gonna agree on "congo". the book was very fun; the movie was a total sham. they camped it up WAY too much.

possibly the worst crichton adaptation was the miniseries of "the andromeda strain" from a few years ago. the original movie was boring but it held true to the book at least. the miniseries was an abomination.

Zack I'm going to have to yellow card you. Timeline the movie is without question the worst Crichton adaptation. Differs from the book's plot immensely and has some of the worst acting in Hollywood cinema over the last decade. The delivery of the dialogue was poor and the atmosphere was just weird. Plus it has Paul Walker. Enough said. I couldn't even enjoy this pile of pigshit on a so bad it's good level.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:32 am 

pizza_Place: Boboli
On a lighter note, the How to train your dragon books were infinitely more entertaining than the movie. I was amazed at just how different the movie was from the books.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:40 am 

Zizou wrote:
Zack I'm going to have to yellow card you. Timeline the movie is without question the worst Crichton adaptation. Differs from the book's plot immensely and has some of the worst acting in Hollywood cinema over the last decade. The delivery of the dialogue was poor and the atmosphere was just weird. Plus it has Paul Walker. Enough said. I couldn't even enjoy this pile of pigshit on a so bad it's good level.

have you seen the "andromeda strain" miniseries? also, i said possibly. not definitely. it's the worst i've seen. i didn't even try "timeline".