The Munsters
L.A. Dragnet
Bionic Woman
The Twilight Zone
Get Smart
The Fugitive
Love Boat
American Gladiators

I should add that an additional thread of Unnecessary TV Spinoffs might be added as there are a lot of those.

Last edited by Mini Ditka on Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Bojono's on Clarendon
Maybe SHARK can back me up on this. ABC trotted out a remake of "Hogan's Heroes" in 1978 starring Lyle Waggoner that took place in a P.O.W. camp on the Vietnam/Laos border that was a little hard to watch. Little wonder it only lasted 3 episodes.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:44 pm 

pizza_Place: ------
Telegram Sam wrote:
Maybe SHARK can back me up on this. ABC trotted out a remake of "Hogan's Heroes" in 1978 starring Lyle Waggoner that took place in a P.O.W. camp on the Vietnam/Laos border that was a little hard to watch. Little wonder it only lasted 3 episodes.

SHARK wrote:
Telegram did you know that Bob Crane the love child of Fred MacMurray and Danny Thomas loved to dress in women's clothing and was found blugeoned to death with a blunt intstrument in an Arizona hotel room. As Sergeant Shultz would say....I know nothink..... :lol:

Chus wrote:
RPB is right. You suck. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:47 pm 

Say hello to Kevin Matthews for me...in Hell.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's Pizza
Telegram Sam wrote:

That can't be right, Sam. I'm old enough to remember Lyle Waggoner & Lynda Carter starred in a live-action version of DC Comics' "Wonder Woman" in the mid to late '70s. When it debuted in 1976 on ABC, it was set during World War II before producers decided to set the final 2 seasons in modern-day Washington, DC due to production costs. When ABC decided not to renew the series after the first season in 1977, CBS picked it up and aired the final 2 seasons before it was cancelled in 1979.

As for "Hogan's Heroes", CBS did air the classic World War II-set war comedy from 1965-71 with the late Bob Crane as "Col. Hogan", the late Werner Klemperer as "Col. Klink" & the late John Banner as "Sergeant Hans "I Know Nothing!" Schultz". 168 episodes were made and reruns air currently on WWME 23 and those stations along the MeTV Network for a full hour at 5p Saturdays.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:03 pm 

pizza_Place: ------
SHARK wrote:
Telegram Sam wrote:

That can't be right, Sam. I'm old enough to remember Lyle Waggoner & Lynda Carter starred in a live-action version of DC Comics' "Wonder Woman" in the mid to late '70s. When it debuted in 1976 on ABC, it was set during World War II before producers decided to set the final 2 seasons in modern-day Washington, DC due to production costs. When ABC decided not to renew the series after the first season in 1977, CBS picked it up and aired the final 2 seasons before it was cancelled in 1979.

As for "Hogan's Heroes", CBS did air the classic World War II-set war comedy from 1965-71 with the late Bob Crane as "Col. Hogan", the late Werner Klemperer as "Col. Klink" & the late John Banner as "Sergeant Hans "I Know Nothing!" Schultz". 168 episodes were made and reruns air currently on WWME 23 and those stations along the MeTV Network for a full hour at 5p Saturdays.

:lol: You are my favorite poster on the board SHARK. Don't ever change.

Chus wrote:
RPB is right. You suck. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:04 pm 

Phil McCracken wrote:
SHARK wrote:
Telegram Sam wrote:

:lol: You are my favorite poster on the board SHARK. Don't ever change.

I appreciate the kind words. Besides, God bless Wikipedia!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:35 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
...and here I thought you had all of that random knowledge memorized. :lol:

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:36 pm 

This thread is chum in the water for SHARK

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Angelo's Pizza in Downers Grove
Wouldn't every TV remake be classified as unnecessary?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:42 pm 

There was talk about remakes of 2 classic '70s series. The rumored "Wonder Woman" remake with Adrienne Palicki from "Friday Night Lights" fame as the DC Comics' superhero ran into trouble in large part because of the costume that fans didn't care for. Also, there was talk of a "Rockford Files" remake with Delrot Mulroney in the role that James Garner made famous from 1974-80 and made a boatload of money in the '80s after he sued Universal. Neither remake got picked up.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:48 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
That 8O's show was awful...however it did introduce the world to Dennis from It's always Sunny.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:50 pm 

Urlacher's missing neck wrote:
That 8O's show was awful...however it did introduce the world to Dennis from It's always Sunny.

I do remember that, UMN. I think FOX aired it right after "That '70s Show" ended, circa 2006. Needless to say, it didn't last long.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:32 pm 

SHARK wrote:
Telegram Sam wrote:

This is actually the show I was thinking of. I guess it's not a remake. Never mind.

Wasn't there a remake of "What's Happening, Now!" with an all-Korean cast, headed by Margaret Cho and executive produced by Sean "Diddy" Combs on the WB in 1998? That's one remake that Michigan J. Frog could have passed on...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:41 pm 

Mini Ditka wrote:
The Twilight Zone

what?? the next gen of that show was awesome. stephen king's "gramma" episode with barrett oliver alone was worth revamping the series.

hey, speaking of stephen king...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:45 pm 

pizza_Place: Il-Forno in Deerfield
The Office.
While I enjoyed the American version, nothing they could do would top the original series. Same with Life on Mars, but to a lesser extent.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:57 pm 

seasons 2 and 3 of the office are some of the best american television in sitcom history.

but that still doesn't come close to how great the UK "office" was. agreed.

do you know they tried it with "coupling" too? that didn't last.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Il-Forno in Deerfield
Yes I did, but I took the same approach that I did the US office, I was waiting to see if it made it to a third season, once that happened with the office, I started watching the American version...I don't know if they even made it to a third episode of "coupling."

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:03 pm 

they tried to just copy it...obviously they didn't realize that british comic timing is on another level than american.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:07 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
At least they haven't tried to remake an American version of Black Books.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:38 pm 

Psycory wrote:
The Office.
While I enjoyed the American version, nothing they could do would top the original series.

I can't stand Ricky Gervais and I find the British version to be significantly more offensive. I agree seasons 2 and 3 of the American version were the best.