It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Clinton
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:24 am 

Parts 1 and 2 of a 4 part series aired yesterday on PBS. It is supposedly the most in depth biography of a president since a piece done on Andrew Jackson a few years ago.

The first two episodes ended just before the 1996 elections began. He is battling the idealogue Newt Gingerich while making the misstep of agreeing to a special prosecutor regarding whitewater, what he would later describe as a major mistake.

The biographer ascribes his presidency being placed at the beginning of the 24 cable news infotainment boom as being instrumental to the level of both love and hate for the man. That is an interesting position that can certainly be defended but one with which I am not sure I agree. I see it more as Gingerich "Contract with America" group having undue influence in the party (Trent Lott seemed to agree). Gingerich saw politics as war rather than dealmaking and when coupled with an, up to that point, inept white house, the battle raged. I personally view 1994 as the beginning of the current era of politics.

I knew the first two years of the Clinton presidency were bumbling. I knew of the problems that occurred because of his placement of unseasoned people in key political positions. I also remember the backlash against Hillary Clinton being placed in charge of healthcare reform (I think there would have been different results with a different face on the legislation). It was really interesting to see the backround of the whole mess.

I am always struck by how Hillary Clinton is a chameleon. She is northerner her entire life. She is as willed and smart person. Yet, within a decade she had a full southern accent whenever she spoke. She never had that kind of accent once she got to Washington. Some might think of her as a fraud. I think deep down she is the ugly girl trying to fit in (and, my goodness, she had a look that could stop a clock well into her 30s).

The most intriguing part of the Clinton story for me has always been their relationship. I think they love each other but I don't know how.

An interesting sidenote to the piece is that Rahm Emmanuel did not appear in any historical photos. He wasn't seen in the early days of the presidential campaign when they were playing for mosquitos. He wasn't interviewed for the piece. He is a person who has and does take accolades and identity for having worked with Clinton fromt he beginning and he is nowhere to be found...and everyone was pictured at one time in the show. I know he was one of the people forced into a back office role because he could not work with legislators. Has his prominence in the administration been overstated?

Post subject: Re: Clinton
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:27 am 

pizza_Place: Angelo's Pizza in Downers Grove
Parts 3 and 4 are to be release by Vivid Entertainment later this year.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:35 am 

Big Chicagoan wrote:
Parts 3 and 4 are to be release by Vivid Entertainment later this year.

:lol:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:53 am 

I saw a picture of monica lewinsky now and she looks decent...far less piggish than in her 20s

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:24 am 

pizza_Place: Ban me
So that means we can find it OnDemand? I liked the Jackson one too.

Awesome.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:35 am 

after watching part 4, it reminded me of what a smarmy prick Kenneth Starr is

A friend of a friend was at a party bragging about being his assistant. I told him it is something for which he should be ashamed.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:36 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
good dolphin wrote:
Has his prominence in the administration been overstated?

I think he raised a lot of cash, didn't he?