It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 1:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 24 Movie Put On Hold
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:52 am 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Kiefer Sutherland Furious as Fox Pulls Plug on '24' Movie (Exclusive) Sharon Waxman 03/14/2012 11:10 AM

Kiefer Sutherland is furious at 20th Century Fox, which has called a halt to the movie version of his hit television show, “24,” over budget and star salary issues, TheWrap has learned.

The movie based on the conspiracy-terrorism-action show was in pre-production and set to start shooting next month, but has now ground to a halt because Fox will greenlight a budget no higher than $30 million, while Sutherland and producer Brian Grazer feel the budget needs to be in the low $40s at its tightest.

A Fox spokesman confirmed that the movie was on hold, and said it was related to timing.

"We're still working on a script, and hope to make [it] when Kiefer next has time," said the spokesman. "But this all came down to timing, and seven weeks is not enough time to prep a movie like this."

But insiders on the project refuted that version of the situation. According to them, the Fox television star feels insulted that Fox has offered him a relatively measly salary of $1 million to do the movie. Update: A Fox insider says that this fee was proposed, but it came in the context of negotiations over the fee, which is weighted toward a reward on the back end. In another round, the insider said, Fox offered $2 million.

Sutherland, who has helped Fox make hundreds of millions of dollars off the hit show and is represented by CAA, wanted $5 million. (He is also the producer.)

Talks between the two sides continued up until the last 24 hours, with Fox co-chairman Tom Rothman getting involved, according to individuals with knowledge of the situation. One of those told TheWrap that the sides would be meeting via conference call on Wednesday to try to work out their differences, though that meeting was not confirmed by other participants.

Sutherland's agency CAA had no immediate comment, nor did his management.

The "24" budgeting problem may cause potential problems with the Fox Television Network, which needs Sutherland for its new television series, “Touch.” That show debuts March 22, and Sutherland recently returned from travelling abroad to promote it.

"24" was meant to go into production in April, when "Touch" went on hiatus, according to a television studio spokesman.

Now all of that has been thrown into question, and all of the talent attached is apparently furious.

Overall, Sutherland ‘s impression was that “the studio didn't seem to be paying attention or be consistent with notes and thoughts,” said one person in his camp. In other words, the guy feels dissed.

I know times are tough in this business, but I can't quite figure out why Fox would nickel-and-dime a star like Sutherland, whose show has an international as well as a strong domestic audience. Yes, Sutherland has gotten inordinately wealthy off the series and, yes, star fees have come down in recent years -–but still.

Individuals involved with the movie pointed out that Fox has gone through similar troubles in the past and its reputation has been hurt as a result.

Said one of those individuals: “At the end of day it's not only hard to make movies at Fox specifically, but it's also no fun.”

Post subject: Re: 24 Movie Put On Hold
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:54 am 

pizza_Place: Piece Pizza and Brewery
That's quite disappointing

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:39 am 

Meh.

I was a big fan of the show, but making this movie is pointless. Will anyone really be disappointed if it doesn't get made?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:40 am 

pizza_Place: Lucano's
Maybe some horses died during shooting...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:46 am 

pizza_Place: Piece Pizza and Brewery
Douchebag wrote:
Meh.

I was a big fan of the show, but making this movie is pointless. Will anyone really be disappointed if it doesn't get made?

I just said I would. :twisted:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:48 am 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
What a douchebag...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:53 am 

pizza_Place: Angelo's Pizza in Downers Grove
Jack Bauer wouldn't take "no" for an answer.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:10 am 

I didn't watch the show, so whatever on the movie.

But doesn't a couple million for the star seem really low? Aren't most leads on hit shows like '24' making close to a million, or more, for each episode?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
I think I have seen enough Jack Bauer in my lifetime. The last few seasons were awful anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Forward Unto Dawn Mess Hall
:(

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
Fuck.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Bojono's on Clarendon
The Ugly Betty movie is still a go though, right? IMAX? 3D? (fingers crossed....)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:20 pm 

Quote:
Talks between the two sides continued up until the last 24 hours

Beep....

Beep.....

Beep....

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:27 pm 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
1 mill for a star like Sutherland? He put FOX on the map (along with House and American Idol) and this is the thanks he gets? The movie should have at least 100 million budget and get released in the middle of the summer blockbuster season. I bet it would make at least 300 mil world wide. Yet some dufus thought making a movie about putting fish in the Yeman is just what America wants to see. I think there are some really talented producers,writers and directors in Hollywood. I'm just wondering how many work at FOX.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:38 pm 

jimmy, fox was on the map far before "24" landed. fox had "the simpsons" and "the x-files" and a few other shows. "24" ran its course...let it fucking die for god's sake. it had 2 good seasons and a litter of fairly bad ones, oversaturated with contrivances and deus-ex-machinas.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:43 pm 

W_Z wrote:
jimmy, fox was on the map far before "24" landed. fox had "the simpsons" and "the x-files" and a few other shows. "24" ran its course...let it fucking die for god's sake. it had 2 good seasons and a litter of fairly bad ones, oversaturated with contrivances and deus-ex-machinas.

Hey easy pal! That's my namesake you're talking about there. Next are you gonna start trashing Star Wars prequels and Sarah Michelle Gellar? Is nothing sacred?????

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:51 pm 

i...actually can't say too many damning things about sarah michelle. i love her.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:57 pm 

24 had more than "a few good seasons". The ratings for X-files were OK,it wasn't a huge hit. One of the best 24 season's came with the introduction of the "Nixon-like" President. (Forgot the actors name) Hollywood is constantly draining the crap out of old TV shows and making movies,so why not 24?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:01 pm 

W_Z,one more thing:

deus ex machina YOUR ASS!

THAT one I had to look up!

A deus ex machina ( /ˈdeɪ.əs ɛks ˈmɑːkiːnə/ or /ˈdiːəs ɛks ˈmækɨnə/ DAY-əs eks MAH-kee-nə;[1] Latin: "god out of the machine"; plural: dei ex machina) is a plot device whereby a seemingly unsolvable problem is suddenly and abruptly solved with the contrived and unexpected intervention of some new event, character, ability, or object.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:05 pm 

It's hard to pick my favorite character, but Michelle Dessler was underrated and would definitely be in the running.

W_Z wrote:
i...actually can't say too many damning things about sarah michelle. i love her.

I knew we could find some common ground.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:50 pm 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
sarah michelle has delivered some pretty fine lines of television that i used to occasionally catch at 5am on FX on weekday mornings (RIP)

The First: I'm not a demon, little girl, I am something you cannot even conceive. The First Evil. Beyond sin. Beyond death. I am the thing the darkness fears. You’ll never see me, but I am everywhere. Every being. Every thought. Every drop of hate.
Buffy: All right, I get it. You're evil. Do we have to chat about it all day?
The First: Angel will be dead by sunrise. Your Christmas will be his wake.
Buffy: No.
The First: You have no idea what you're dealing with.
Buffy: Let me guess. Is it... evil?
The First: [transforms into a fearsome demonic form, then vanishes] DEAD BY SUNRISE!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:52 am 

jimmypasta wrote:
24 had more than "a few good seasons". The ratings for X-files were OK,it wasn't a huge hit. One of the best 24 season's came with the introduction of the "Nixon-like" President. (Forgot the actors name) Hollywood is constantly draining the crap out of old TV shows and making movies,so why not 24?

it was enough of a hit to get a major motion picture green lit, which was a blockbuster at the box office that summer.

i thought after season 3, "24" became fairly standard and predictable...and got old fast. i loved the first two seasons though. it was one of the freshest shows around at the time. same way i felt about "lost".

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:10 pm 

Maybe the most awesome scene of the series.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:11 am 

pizza_Place: Forward Unto Dawn Mess Hall
24_Guy wrote:
Maybe the most awesome scene of the series.

I've always been partial to Edgar's goodbye...

"Cwowie...I can't bweathe..."