It is currently Thu Jun 06, 2024 11:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Comic Book Men
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:37 am 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Comic Book Men is a one-hour unscripted television series set inside Kevin Smith's comic book shop Jay and Silent Bob's Secret Stash in Red Bank, New Jersey. The six-part series is scheduled to air on February 12, 2012, following the premiere of The Walking Dead's second season on AMC.

Leading the crew behind the Secret Stash counter are moody manager Walt Flanagan, uber-nerd Mike Zapcic, career slacker Bryan Johnson, and Ming Chen, the shop’s go-to whipping boy. As the team buys, sells and discovers the treasures of the comic collecting world, they share every detail with Smith through podcasts, which are woven throughout the series.

I'll watch just to see how it is.

And because I'm a nerd.

Post subject: Re: Comic Book Men
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:24 am 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
Hey,thanks for posting this.
Never heard about it,now I'm looking forward to it.

A career slacker sounds like a great gig.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:26 am 

here ya go: http://www.tvguide.com/News/Kevin-Smith ... eakingnews

It took 41 years, but Kevin Smith is finally proving his parents wrong.

"They always said, 'Your friends are idiots. You can't sit around and goof off with your friends.' I was like, 'Yeah we can,'" Smith tells TVGuide.com of his new AMC reality series, Comic Book Men, starring his childhood friends-turned-comic book store employees Bryan Johnson, Walt Flanagan, Mike Zapcic and Ming Chen.

AMC green-lights Kevin Smith unscripted series

Comic Book Men (Sunday, 10/9c) is best described as Pawn Stars plus Clerks multiplied by comic books: one part docu-series about the crazy clerks, quirky customers and collectibles at Smith's Jay and Silent Bob's Secret Stash comic book store in Red Bank, N.J., and one part talk show, where the guys gather together — no confessional needed — to discuss the store's newest and coolest acquisitions and beyond. And unlike those other Garden State-set reality series, the fist-pumping is kept to a minimum and the closest viewers will get to on-air drama is a bidding war at the Collingwood Flea Market. "It's not about real life," Smith says. "The store is where they go to f---ing escape real life and the live the fantasy of childhood."

If a chatter-heavy reality show like Comic Book Men is an unlikely addition to the reality genre, then Smith is happily its oddball ringleader. The foul-mouthed indie filmmaker, best known for movies like Clerks, Chasing Amy and Dogma, has stepped out from behind the camera and into the limelight in recent years. He's released four books, fills venues across the country for his infamous Q&A sessions and oversees his own SModcast network of 13 regular podcasts, which includes "Tell 'Em Steve-Dave!", featuring many of the stars of Comic Book Men. "I'm there to set you up and bring you in to the world, but you're in safe hands with the boys," he says of the show, which he developed, executive-produces and co-stars in.

Watch videos of Kevin Smith

Although Smith happily owns up to reality TV indulgences like Oxygen's Snapped and Tori and Dean, he never saw himself returning to the small screen after ABC turned Sundance sensation Clerks into an animated series and canceled after two episodes in 2000. "The cartoon was such a bad experience," he says. However, when Smith was approached by a producer about doing something for AMC he couldn't pass up the opportunity to work with his favorite channel. "You don't want to be the one show that comes on like, "Oh, that's where AMC went wrong — with Kevin f---ing Smith," he says.

Following the smash success of comic book series-turned-TV show The Walking Dead, AMC wanted a companion show that would keep the geeks glued after the zombies had gone off the air. Smith pitched the show and when AMC wanted to see and hear more, he decided to film the pilot presentation in his own store with the store's four main employees (all from the "Tell 'Em Steve-Dave!" podcast). The show was supposed to then find a different store and different cast for the series, but AMC thought otherwise. "[My producer] went, 'Dude, you're out of your mind. That's the show," Smith recalls.

Kevin Smith to share his askew view with new talk show

Aside from The Walking Dead's after show, Talking Dead, Comic Book Men represents one of AMC's first forays into reality television. "They're on a real hot streak, and they've figured out how to do reality with our show where I can hold my head up," he says.

AMC also matched Smith's less-is-more belief when it came to marketing Comic Book Men. He famously brought his 2010 indie horror flick Red State to Sundance to auction the movie off, only to sell the distribution rights to himself in what was seen as a slap in the face to film studios. In the case of Comic Book Men, Smith is happy to promote the show himself (his more than 1.9 million Twitter followers could help) rather than see AMC shell out big bucks for billboards. "It's almost like a mid-90's Miramax sensibility," he says, referencing the film studio that helped bring indie films, like his own debut Clerks, into the mainstream. "AMC was really frugal in making the show," he says. "They're happy with a very small number. America has to really hate my f---ing friends in order for this not to work."

Comic Book Men's debut comes as Smith is undergoing a major career renovation. He says his next film will be his last and and hopes to focus on his Q&As and podcasts full-time — ironic for the man known to millions simply as "Silent Bob." Smith is even shopping a daily Chelsea Handler-esque entertainment news talk show called Tonightly, which he would co-host. "The older you get, you wind up doing sh-- you never in a million years you imagined you would. I never thought I would get to a point where I don't want to make film anymore. Life changes," he says. "TV answered my view in a weird way this year and I wasn't pursuing it. It just happened."

Comic Book Men premieres Sunday at 10/9c on AMC.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:49 am 

what a sell out.

not interested.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:57 am 

Yeah I didn't think you would be.

Too low brow for a w_z.....

:P

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:00 am 

indeed. i wouldn't enjoy it even with the finest glass of dornish wine.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:03 am 

:lol:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:15 pm 

Watching this may have been a bad idea.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:09 am 

Yeah it was horrible.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:42 am 

Why? missed it but the idea sounded cool. Leave it to Kevin Smith to fuck up AGAIN. Outside of the Clerks shit,he is weak. He thinks he is much more cooler than he is. Basically an unfunny fat slacker who got lucky.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:47 am 

It was like Antiques Roadshow for comic related paraphernalia mixed with a video podcast.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:06 am 

pizza_Place: Perry's Deli Home of the Swaggie
Terry's Peeps wrote:
It was like Antiques Roadshow for comic related paraphernalia mixed with a video podcast.

That's what I got out of it too, basically Pawn Stars mixed with the podcast. I'm not sure of the point of the Ming kid other than keeping him around for a punchline. Doesn't seem to know much about comics or even want to work there. Most readers would kill to work in a comic shop and it looked like he was fed the lines about Chucky. Kevin kinda jumped the shark for me after Evening with KS part 3 when he literally talked about his asshole and anal fissures for an hour, how he's too fat to bang his wife, how he knocked up his wife like an amateur, and his weird backwards weed thing.

He has some hilarious stories, but i don't need to know a single thing about his asshole. His entire gimmick was stoner comedy and all that but he never smoked at all, which is fine. The first time I saw Clerks, I found it weird he was fake smoking his cigarettes. Now he smokes weed and that's all he talks about on the podcasts when I check them out. He's not as funny and tells stories about getting high that make him sound like he handles his smoke like a high school kid. I'll definitely check the show out again though, I'll take whatever I can get as far as comics related shows, etc.

I'm picturing a 12 year old Bob Loblaw bitching out a Randy Savage Wrestling Buddy for botching his finisher. Also envisioning Bob Loblaw getting bitched at for lighting the living room table on fire for said finisher.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:14 am 

I'm pretty sure Kevin Smith has always smoked weed.

I thought the first Evening With Kevin Smith DVD was hilarious, but the 2nd was bad. I think he just used up all of his good stories, and after that everything just bored me. I really cannot understand why they even decided to make a 3rd one.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:17 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
I watched for about 15 minutes...i'm good.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:18 am 

Douchebag wrote:
I'm pretty sure Kevin Smith has always smoked weed.

I thought the first Evening With Kevin Smith DVD was hilarious, but the 2nd was bad. I think he just used up all of his good stories, and after that everything just bored me. I really cannot understand why they even decided to make a 3rd one.

Exactly.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:45 am 

Don't quote me on it, but I'm pretty sure he told the weed story in part 3 (or maybe a comic-con q&a), but he definitely hasn't always smoked (according to him).

He said he didn't like how it made him feel, all that b.s. Then he started up with Seth Rogan when they were making that Zack and Miri movie. Now ALL he does is talk about weed like a teenager who just discovered it, so you can tell its something newer to him. Just tons of "this one time, my wife and I, we got high, it was really funny" type stories that got really old. I don't really care, it just seems weird the king of stoner comedy makes all of the real smokers look really immature. I understand why fanboys love him though, its cool. I also thought him being too fat to fly was pretty damn funny. Hopefully with a family, he'll do something about his weight and potential health risks. I mean the dude is basically wearing a hockey jersey as a moo moo as his official daily garb. Has the guy completely given up to the point where he's given up on fitting in clothes? I havn't seen him wear ANYTHING other than the Oilers knockoff jersey in 3 years. Weird.

I'd imagine he'll do these q&a's forever. I'd be interested in the production costs of the q&a's. He gets paid to do the q&a, minimal costs, no cast or crew and 2-3 cameras on tripods?

i love headlines:

Pot smoking 'saved' Kevin Smith : http://www.nypost.com/p/pagesix/item_Sf ... deoKA3XNaP

Did Pot Ruin Kevin Smith's Career? : newser.com/story/127536/did-marijuana-ruin-kevin-smiths-career.html

you can't win either way.

I'm picturing a 12 year old Bob Loblaw bitching out a Randy Savage Wrestling Buddy for botching his finisher. Also envisioning Bob Loblaw getting bitched at for lighting the living room table on fire for said finisher.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:15 am 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
jimmypasta wrote:
Why? missed it but the idea sounded cool. Leave it to Kevin Smith to fuck up AGAIN. Outside of the Clerks shit,he is weak. He thinks he is much more cooler than he is. Basically an unfunny fat slacker who got lucky.

Without a doubt the most overrated person in the history of earth. He has done exactly ONE thing that was funny, Clerks. And it was AWESOME! Everything else he has ever done has completely sucked, everything. Try telling me otherwise and I'll respond that you're a fucking earless, brainless idiot.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:17 am 

Dogma had Selma Hayek dancing to Candy Girl and a poop monster.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:35 am 

i liked "chasing amy" and "zack and miri". other than that, i'd have to agree with shakes.

ESPECIALLY on his "green arrow" run.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:55 am 

I also like "Mallrats".

And I agree on Smith's GREEN ARROW. It's amazing how well-regarded that run is.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:59 am 

W_Z wrote:
i liked "chasing amy" and "zack and miri". other than that, i'd have to agree with shakes.

ESPECIALLY on his "green arrow" run.

Was that with a girl "speedy" and had a monster in the closet or something stupid like that? It was supposed to deal with abuse ?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:01 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
I liked Clerks and Dogma, but that was it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:03 am 

Was his brief Daredevil run in the 90's any good? I didn't read it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:12 am 

His recent "Green Hornet" movie script turned into a comic book WAS excellent. It should have been the movie that was made. Now he's doing the 6 Million Dollar Man. 4 bathroom jokes in the first 2 comics. Don't recall Austin making "toilet" jokes on the show.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:14 pm 

Sorry guys,I watched it all this weekend and loved it. The way they keep giving each other crap (especially Ming) is hysterical. They look like the kind of guys I could hang with including Kevin Smith.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:15 pm 

jimmypasta wrote:
Sorry guys,I watched it all this weekend and loved it. The way they keep giving each other crap (especially Ming) is hysterical. They look like the kind of guys I could hang with including Kevin Smith.

Some of the stuff people bring into the shop is interesting, but everything else seems so scripted and fake.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:33 pm 

jimmypasta wrote:

Walt seems like a douche, Ming is meh, and the other guy I don't care enough about to want to hang out with.

Bryan and Kevin Smith are moderately interesting.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Phils' on 35th all you need to know
Terry's Peeps wrote:
jimmypasta wrote:

Walt seems like a douche, Ming is meh, and the other guy I don't care enough about to want to hang out with.

Bryan and Kevin Smith are moderately interesting.

Bryan is the model for Randell in Clerks.

Walt in real life is an okay guy, he is just high stung. He used to be the manager of the store.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:45 pm 

Probably true.

But Walt on the show is a boring-as-fuck douchebag.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:06 pm 

Exactly.

:D