It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Shark was wrong
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:19 am 

pizza_Place: Dino's Pizza
Do the Kings finish off the Devils in a 4-game sweep tonight on NBC Sports Network?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:21 am 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
SHARK wrote:
Do the Kings finish off the Devils in a 4-game sweep tonight on NBC Sports Network?

What do you think will happen?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:22 am 

pizza_Place: Pisa Pizza, Countryside
God willing Shark...

I thought the American Captains thing would have helped draw more fans, apparently not..

NBD they're all just missing the most impressive playoff run this side of the 05 White Sox, their Loss.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:25 am 

crosscheck wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
And while we're at it, the Islanders aren't really a New York team, either. They're a Long Island team, with little market

That's probable news to people in Long Island... Kyle Okposo deserves better.
Most people on long island don't care about the Islanders. They probably did at some point but they'd rather take the train directly underneath MSG rather than go to an Islanders game.

It's funny that Curious Hair mentioned the Islanders lighthouse project. That's probably the only thing that could make the Islanders relevant.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:26 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
There is still hockey being played?

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:37 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
crosscheck wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
And while we're at it, the Islanders aren't really a New York team, either. They're a Long Island team, with little market

That's probable news to people in Long Island... Kyle Okposo deserves better.
Most people on long island don't care about the Islanders. They probably did at some point but they'd rather take the train directly underneath MSG rather than go to an Islanders game.

It's funny that Curious Hair mentioned the Islanders lighthouse project. That's probably the only thing that could make the Islanders relevant.

Well that or winning, so they're pretty much screwed, come on Seattle Ice Hawks...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:38 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:

Well one team is still playing... And then in two months we start all over again! Awesome!

sans a lockout...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:41 am 

crosscheck wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

Well one team is still playing... And then in two months we start all over again! Awesome!

sans a lockout...

Not what NHL fans want to read, let alone hear. It might soon be a reality, and you know who is on the front lines of such a threat. That's longtime MLB Players Association bossman Donald Fehr, who's now in the same position with the NHLPA as Executive Director. Watch this story.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Olde Silver Tavern, Manalapan, NJ [R.I.P.?]
Curious Hair wrote:
I figured North Jersey was split by now, and South Jersey is all Flyers without a second thought. Never even gave consideration to the rest.

The only reason I do is that I lived in central Jersey for a while. Kind of a weird place, but (widespread Devils fandom notwithstanding) charming in its way.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:47 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

The Isles' fanbase is a sleeping giant. The team has been stockpiling talent for years now; I just hope they all break out at the right time. If they can provide an uptempo alternative to the Rags' dreary-ass human-shield system, you'll see them back out in full force. It's not entirely unlike how certain Chicagolanders fancied themselves Red Wings fans during the Dark Ages because their uncle has a summer cottage in Ludington or something.

They can make this work. It shouldn't take some strip mall to make them matter, just good hockey. Building a suburban strip mall/hotel complex around a single-tenant NHL arena didn't exactly make the Phoenix Coyotes relevant. But they do need a new arena.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:03 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
The Isles' fanbase is a sleeping giant. The team has been stockpiling talent for years now; I just hope they all break out at the right time. If they can provide an uptempo alternative to the Rags' dreary-ass human-shield system, you'll see them back out in full force. It's not entirely unlike how certain Chicagolanders fancied themselves Red Wings fans during the Dark Ages because their uncle has a summer cottage in Ludington or something.
While winning would help, you can't get people excited about going to that stadium. In my whole time here, I have never heard of anyone actually going to an Islanders game. Even I have chosen the Rangers because it's actually more convenient even if it's further away.

Curious Hair wrote:
They can make this work. It shouldn't take some strip mall to make them matter, just good hockey. Building a suburban strip mall/hotel complex around a single-tenant NHL arena didn't exactly make the Phoenix Coyotes relevant. But they do need a new arena.
I don't think calling it a strip mall is fair. However, it seems like it's all but dead so not really worth arguing over it. It's hard to imagine that they don't end up playing in Brooklyn at this point.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:06 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
While winning would help, you can't get people excited about going to that stadium. In my whole time here, I have never heard of anyone actually going to an Islanders game. Even I have chosen the Rangers because it's actually more convenient even if it's further away.

Curious Hair wrote:
I don't think calling it a strip mall is fair. However, it seems like it's all but dead so not really worth arguing over it. It's hard to imagine that they don't end up playing in Brooklyn at this point.

Even though Brooklyn's new Barclays Center is supposed to host a preseason NHL game, and while it could be a realistic option, the new arena that the Brooklyn Nets will soon move into isn't that big for hockey. I was reading that the seating capacity is about 15,000 for hockey at this new arena.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:07 pm 

Brooklyn will fit 14,000 including obstructed views. The smallest arena in the league is Winnipeg with 15,000 and great sightlines all around. Brooklyn can't be more than a stopgap while they build a 17,000-seat, hockey-intended building in Nassau or western Suffolk. I would think that Long Island needs its own arena for concerts and events and not just hockey, as you can't expect everyone to drive all the way into Brooklyn for Disney on Ice or Taylor Swift or WWF or whatever else.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:11 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
Brooklyn will fit 14,000 including obstructed views. The smallest arena in the league is Winnipeg with 15,000 and great sightlines all around. Brooklyn can't be more than a stopgap while they build a 17,000-seat, hockey-intended building in Nassau or western Suffolk. I would think that Long Island needs its own arena for concerts and events and not just hockey, as you can't expect everyone to drive all the way into Brooklyn for Disney on Ice or Taylor Swift or WWF or whatever else.

One problem with that, CH. Taxpayers there don't want to be stuck with the bill.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:22 pm 

I know. And I don't blame them. Like I said, it'll have to be a spartan, privately-financed facility. And that's fine. So it looks like a big grey box on the outside. Oh well!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:40 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
They don't seem to care though. They've got Jones Beach, MSG(really easy by train from just about anywhere), and now the Barclays Center(accessible by train).

That's why creating a population center was so important with apartments, condos, restaurants, bars and businesses. It creates a legitimate alternative to those currently superior options. Otherwise, take the train to MSG. It may take you an extra 45 minutes but you get the joy of Manhattan instead of the nothingness of a NYC suburb.