It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 178 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ray Donovan
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:22 pm 

There's so many useless characters on this show. Characters you just don't give a shit about like Bunchy, his wife, Daryl, Ray's family. Schreiber and Voight carry this shit like Gathers and Kimble. I like Terry for the most part but his plots are typically lame. Now, in episode 1 Ray is some contrite supposedly changed guy with this priest being a huge part of his life. And now that's just gone. How about Buffalo Bill (Ted Levine) actually playing Buffalo Bill? :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
It has been a little slow out of the gates for me but I see this getting good quickly. It would appear that Hank Azaria will be back as well which should be great.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:55 pm 
1000 CLUB

Before the new episode starts, got a question.

They showed Ray reaching into a safe to get money to pay off the guys that were gonna kill his family.

His wife asked him "How much did it cost?" He said "Everything we have". So all his money was in that safe? I know it's a show. But even a gangster can have a bank account and stocks. I mean he was laundering money through his Gym. Plus isn't he also a legit security guy under the guise of being a gangster? Whatever. Things bother me more than they should.

So now Ray is flat broke.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:19 pm 
1000 CLUB

My question was just answered in this show. It's not all cash. Ray got on the phone with his finance lady looking to refinance the fight club to pay them off. Makes more sense. I like when things make sense.

But Jesus Christ. Ray couldn't negotiate it down. Ya know, from not every penny he has? And how can he trust that after they're paid they still won't kill him and his family?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:13 pm 
1000 CLUB

"Sure"

Is that a Boston thing? To respond that way to all questions. Cuz Mickey and his kids always say it. I just never knew that was a Boston trait.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:21 am 

The show has been alright I guess. Azaria has been pretty good turning the tables on the FBI and cops but still can't be trusted. Best part of the episode
was when Mickey's cell mate was dying and he got behind him right at the moment the officer came to question him about his sexuality. Hilarious.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:17 am 

This season has been going nowhere the last few episodes. Only 4 left this season. Previews for next week look really good but I just
haven't felt much danger for Ray this season which has made it kind of boring.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:28 pm 

Good one this past Sunday, T-Bone. Finally moved some plots forward.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:27 pm 
1000 CLUB

I think this season has been very good. First episode sucked, but I like the plot to this season ever since.

And the damn daughter hasn't been involved much. Which is nice. I think the director heard from the audience that she was annoying. The stupid son had his "gun thing" but not much of his dumb ass either.

Mickey cracks me up. I love his character.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:00 am 

Zizou wrote:

I need to watch the last one. Good to hear that it might be going somewhere.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:26 pm 

Zizou wrote:

Only a couple of episodes left now. Was hoping we would learn more about Avi but never happened. That can't be a very good sign for him.
I really have disliked this boxer character and his sister this season. I don't see how that is going to pay off at all.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
I've been looking for a new show and considering this one. Is it really good, or just decent?

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:41 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
I've been looking for a new show and considering this one. Is it really good, or just decent?

The first couple of seasons were very very good. The last couple have been questionable. I really like the Ray Donovan
character so with some better writing they could bring it back in better standing with me personally. I'd highly recommend
that first season and see what you think.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
T-Bone wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

The first couple of seasons were very very good. The last couple have been questionable. I really like the Ray Donovan
character so with some better writing they could bring it back in better standing with me personally. I'd highly recommend
that first season and see what you think.

I watched the first season and liked it a lot. I got rid of Showtime and never got back to it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:20 pm 
1000 CLUB

One thing I didn't get in this last episode.

At the end, when Ray is trying to dispose of the sister's body, he asked Hector for his sister's phone. Then he took a pic of Hector sitting on the tub with the dead sister behind him.

Then Ray did his thing, tossed her in the Harbor, left drugs and her phone in the car. Texted "Sorry. I love you" to hector on hier phone. All makes sense. But how does that pic of Hector sitting on the tub help Hector?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:54 pm 
1000 CLUB

Please, somebody give me the rationale explanation. Shit like this bothers me more than it probably should.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:14 am 

Beardown wrote:
One thing I didn't get in this last episode.

At the end, when Ray is trying to dispose of the sister's body, he asked Hector for his sister's phone. Then he took a pic of Hector sitting on the tub with the dead sister behind him.

Then Ray did his thing, tossed her in the Harbor, left drugs and her phone in the car. Texted "Sorry. I love you" to hector on hier phone. All makes sense. But how does that pic of Hector sitting on the tub help Hector?

It was an odd move for sure. Maybe Ray is going to try to tie the death to the Russians somehow and say they took the picture. Really not sure.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Luigi's
If/when her body is recovered, it could possibly be proven as a homicide - or at the very least foul play.

The autopsy will prove that the water in her lungs is of fresh origin and not from the body of water she was found in. The only chance Ray would have had would be to somehow crush her ribcage and puncture the lungs before dumping her. Thus while in the river, the fresh water would have possibly drained and refilled with the dirty river water. The longer her body stays in that water the better for Ray & Hector.

Throwing her in that river could also cover the bruising inflicted on her at Hector's hand in the tub. Bodies get bumped and battered during the time in natural water what with currents. undertows, etc.

Not sure about the pic. I first thought that Ray was taking it as insurance in case Hector got sideways about things. However, Ray took the pic with her phone - not his. I'm stumped about that... unless Lena has a way to hack in her phone, get the pic and scrub the traces?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:08 pm 
1000 CLUB

Just watched that last scene.

The camera didn't show the phone when he asked for it. The only thing I can think of is that Ray took that pic on his own phone, not hers. Just to use that against him if he needs it. Ya know, if they get his prints or DNA in her car and come after him. Then he can rat out Hector with his pic of him with the dead body.

Cuz otherwise it makes no sense. He left her phone in the car. No way he wants a pic with him and the dead girl behind him. Obviously.

This might bother me forever. If you get an answer on some Ray Donovan message board or twitter time line, let me know.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:14 pm 
1000 CLUB

Watched it again.

Got it. Ray took Hector's phone in his left hand. Had his own phone in his right hand. Took the pic with his own phone from his right hand.

The director did this on purpose. Foreshadowing. This will come back to mean something in the final 2 episodes. Hector will probably win the title and Ray will have to use that pic against him after that happens. To save his ass. Once Hector has paid him.

This little thing wasn't done on accident. Good. Now I got it.

Don't know why Hector didn't ask why this pic was being taken. But he's not right cuz he's a druggie and he's also a dumb ass. And it's just a stupid show. So...whatever.

But I'm glad I solved it nonetheless.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:24 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Baracco's
If I were to speculate Ray will play a gambling angle: launch a Hector hype through his Hollywood/TV network connections; influence the lines in Vegas; and then compel/blackmail Hector to lose the fight.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:59 pm 
1000 CLUB

My Coach Vinny wrote:
If I were to speculate Ray will play a gambling angle: launch a Hector hype through his Hollywood/TV network connections; influence the lines in Vegas; and then compel/blackmail Hector to lose the fight.

Hmmm. That's a good guess. I can see that. But then Ray's brother will be so pissed at him. Cuz he wants this title more than Hector.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:10 pm 

Not airing this weekend because of Labor Day.

Returns September 11th.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:46 pm 
1000 CLUB

Beardown wrote:
My Coach Vinny wrote:

Hmmm. That's a good guess. I can see that. But then Ray's brother will be so pissed at him. Cuz he wants this title more than Hector.

You called it, Coach.

But why? I mean a purse for each boxer for title fights in real life is like 50 or 60 million dollars. So why does Hector have to throw it? Just meet with the Russian and tell him you'll give him the purse. I mean if he needs a down payment I'm sure Hector has it seeing as though he's been the heavy weight champion with a lot of big money fights already.

Why didn't Hector just tell Ray, "Hey man, I'll just give you the money. I don't have to throw it."

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:36 am 

Yeah, good call Coach. I am not sure how they are going to wrap this season up with just one episode left but I am about ready for them to stick a fork in
this season. It has been ok but very uneven. I liked this last episode but I feel like one of the Donovans needs to die. I offer up Connor.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:55 am 

While an uneven season overall, the finale was decent and the entire Donovan clan appears to be kind of happy together. I hope they come up
with a stronger premise next season, the acting and characters were still good but I just never cared much or was ever all that scared about the
Russians.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:51 pm 

Just a boring season and a boring show now in general. Think I'll pass on it from now on.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:55 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Baracco's
T-Bone wrote:
While an uneven season overall, the finale was decent and the entire Donovan clan appears to be kind of happy together. I hope they come up
with a stronger premise next season, the acting and characters were still good but I just never cared much or was ever all that scared about the
Russians.

The actor who played the mob guy (who Ray visited in jail) is now on Shameless as Kev/V's wife's father.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:29 pm 

My Coach Vinny wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
Russians.

The actor who played the mob guy (who Ray visited in jail) is now on Shameless as Kev/V's wife's father.

Yep. He was also on Deadwood as the telegraph guy.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:56 am 

I just finished this.

Has every season basically ended with "Every enemy of Rays gets killed or put in jail"?

This show is becoming a little bit formulaic. Rich person/celebrity reaches out for help. Ray fights hard against working for them even though you know he will end up working for them. His father or him do something stupid that they didn't need to do which ends up getting them in big trouble. They then kill everyone who is causing them problems and it's all good.

Someone close to Ray needs to see some consequences at some point here.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 178 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next