It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:46 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 777 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26
 Post subject: Re: True Detective
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:25 am 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
Douchebag wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Yeah, I saw the Vaughn thing.

I wouldnt think he'd be good, but sometimes people surprise you in these types of roles

He's played a villian before. Domestic Disturbance, yo.

Anchorman. Wes Mantooth.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:28 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Is it gonna be a buddy cop show this time too? Or something different?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:49 am 

pizza_Place: My moms grave
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Is it gonna be a buddy cop show this time too? Or something different?

No the three cops are all working this separately. It is supposed to be LA Noir type and I am a sucker for that.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:20 pm 

Read Galveston this morning. It's about a 3 hour read. It's ok but I hope Nic is a better screenwriter than book writer. It sorta reminded me of Penn Gilettes "Sock" in a lot of ways. Length pace and writing ability. Like I said not bad but nothing amazing. Nice light read. Makes me wonder about next season.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:28 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
I like this news.

Quote:
Colin Farrell will star in season two of HBO’s noir detective thriller True Detective, he confirmed at the weekend. In an interview with Ireland’s Sunday World, the star of In Bruges and Phone Booth said: “I’m doing the second series. I’m so excited.”

The revelation comes after months of speculation as to who will lead the show, with huge name Oscar-night regulars such as Brad Pitt, Jessica Chastain and Christian Bale rumoured to be in the running for parts. All three denied they would be involved.

Back in July, TheWrap reported that Farrell was “in talks” for a key role in the series. In the same story, they also suggested that Friday Night Lights and The Normal Heart star Taylor Kitsch was likely to co-star.

In March, series creator Nic Pizzolatto said that the new season would be about “hard women, bad men and the secret occult history of the United States transportation system”. He suggested that there would be four leads, as opposed to season one’s key pairing of Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson.

Farrell did not expand on what might happen in season two, but he confirmed the west coast setting. “I know it will be eight episodes and take around four or five months to shoot. I know very little about it, but we’re shooting in the environs of Los Angeles which is great. It means I get to stay at home and see the kids.”

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:52 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
I like this news.

Quote:
Colin Farrell will star in season two of HBO’s noir detective thriller True Detective, he confirmed at the weekend. In an interview with Ireland’s Sunday World, the star of In Bruges and Phone Booth said: “I’m doing the second series. I’m so excited.”

The revelation comes after months of speculation as to who will lead the show, with huge name Oscar-night regulars such as Brad Pitt, Jessica Chastain and Christian Bale rumoured to be in the running for parts. All three denied they would be involved.

Back in July, TheWrap reported that Farrell was “in talks” for a key role in the series. In the same story, they also suggested that Friday Night Lights and The Normal Heart star Taylor Kitsch was likely to co-star.

In March, series creator Nic Pizzolatto said that the new season would be about “hard women, bad men and the secret occult history of the United States transportation system”. He suggested that there would be four leads, as opposed to season one’s key pairing of Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson.

Farrell did not expand on what might happen in season two, but he confirmed the west coast setting. “I know it will be eight episodes and take around four or five months to shoot. I know very little about it, but we’re shooting in the environs of Los Angeles which is great. It means I get to stay at home and see the kids.”

I have no problems with his casting. He plays pretty good shady characters.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:31 am 

pizza_Place: Jack Brickhouse Toppings
Agreed. He's done good work since getting out of rehab.

"He sounds like a man that was never challenged to be a man."
"He gives a lot of opinions without probably having many life experiences."

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:35 pm 

pizza_Place: Angelo's Pizza in Downers Grove
Vince Vaughn confirmed.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Vaughn wasn't bad as friendly-creepy serial-killer-rapist Lester in Clay Pigeons.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:38 pm 

pizza_Place: J.B. Alberto's
Both Vince Vaughn and Colin Ferrell are actors that have more talent than they are required to utilize by the Hollywood establishment. I have my reservations about them but those are the same reservations that I would have had about Matthew McConaughey and the first season of True Detective was arguably his best work.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:25 am 

MajorKong wrote:
Both Vince Vaughn and Colin Ferrell are actors that have more talent than they are required to utilize by the Hollywood establishment. I have my reservations about them but those are the same reservations that I would have had about Matthew McConaughey and the first season of True Detective was arguably his best work.

I could see that with Ferrell

I think Vaughn has been given some chances to flex the ability and failed (The Cell)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:17 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
MajorKong wrote:

I could see that with Ferrell

I think Vaughn has been given some chances to flex the ability and failed (The Cell)

remember when they cut the horse into like 20 slices and it was still breathing? that was awesome

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:48 am 

Hussra wrote:
Vaughn wasn't bad as friendly-creepy serial-killer-rapist Lester in Clay Pigeons.

Agreed. Wasn't amazing though either.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:01 am 
Site Admin

Season Two of True Detective features John Beckwith (Collin Farrell) and Jeremy Grey (Vince Vaughn) as state police detectives based in Bakersfield, CA. The two friends frequently "crash" wedding parties to meet and bed women, working from a set of rules taught to them by a retired crasher, Chazz Reinhold (Will Ferrell). The duo always has cover stories for inquisitive guests and inevitably become the hit of every reception by using their charm and lies to avoid being caught. Their goals are to enjoy the free food and drinks and ultimately to charm their way into bed with women from the wedding for a one-night stand. After a sequence of successful crashes, Jeremy takes John to a wedding for the daughter of a California state senator, William Cleary (Christopher Walken). Once inside, the pair set their sights on Cleary's other daughters, Gloria (Jessica Chastain) and Claire (Rachel McAdams). Jeremy ends up having sex with Gloria in a nearby park while the reception is taking place. Gloria is possessive and quickly becomes obsessed with Jeremy. She claims to have been a virgin until the encounter, which shocks Jeremy, and he urges John to bail on the reception with him.

Meanwhile, John is attempting to court Claire, the maid of honor, but he is interrupted by her hotheaded boyfriend, Sack Lodge (Bradley Cooper), who later turns out to want to date Claire only because of William's political power and is shown to openly mock and cheat on her behind her back. Later, John convinces Jeremy to accept the family's invitation to an extended weekend party at their family compound. Once there, Jeremy, John, and other members of the family play a game of touch football, which ends with Jeremy being hurt by an over-aggressive Sack. Gloria tends to him, while trying to engage him in sexual intercourse at the same time. At dinner later that evening, Gloria gives Jeremy a hand job under the dinner table, while John spikes Sack's wine with eye-drops. Sack becomes sick, which lets John further connect with Claire, and they agree to go for a walk following dinner. John goes to his room to change his shoes, but William's wife, Kathleen (Jane Seymour), makes John fondle her surgically enhanced breasts, then rebuffs his actions, much to John's confusion. Later that night, Gloria ties up Jeremy and proceeds to rape him, saying she is being "adventurous" and is fulfilling fantasies. That same night, Gloria's gay brother, Todd (Keir O'Donnell), paints a provocative portrait of Jeremy and tries to seduce him, but is interrupted by his father. The next morning, Jeremy asks John if they can go home, but John convinces him to stay, which helps Jeremy realize that John is falling for Claire.

That afternoon, the family (minus Sack) go sailing, where John and Claire continue to bond. Following the sailing trip, the family (with Sack now joining them) go on a hunting trip, where Zack intentionally shoots in the direction of Jeremy and John which startles them and ends up with Jeremy being shot in the buttocks. After the hunting trip, John and Claire go on a bike ride through the country, and they end up at a secluded beach. Claire finally admits she isn't sure how she feels about Sack and ends up kissing John passionately. Meanwhile, Gloria is tending to Jeremy's wounds and reveals to Jeremy that she was not a virgin when they met and that she only said that because that's what she thought he would like to hear. Jeremy realizes that he may be in love with Gloria. Later that day while eating lunch, Sack announces (untruthfully) that he and Claire are engaged, leaving Claire at a loss for words. Outside, John is about to convince Claire to be with him, when they are interrupted by Jeremy being chased out of the house. Sack emerges and forces John and Jeremy to tell the truth about who they really are, as he had them privately investigated. John reluctantly reveals their true identities, and William kicks them out. While leaving, Todd wants his portrait back, but Jeremy tells him that he's keeping it as a gift; this gives Todd some relief knowing that someone took him seriously as an artist. Jeremy and Gloria briefly confess their love to each other.

John and Jeremy return to their normal lives. During that time, Jeremy is trying to keep his relationship with Gloria a secret when John comes in to talk to him. He has formulated a new way to try and reconcile with Claire by trying to be a waiter at her engagement party. Jeremy tries to convince him that his attempts to reconcile with her were unsuccessful and he needs to let it go by coming to terms with the fact that Claire doesn't want anything to do with him. While pretending to be a waiter, John is caught and brutally beaten by Sack while his friends hold him still. Once he recovers, he goes to search for Jeremy (who was supposed to have helped him), but instead finds him still at his house and having sex with Gloria. When John learns the truth, he's upset by it and it causes a rift between him and Jeremy. John crashes several more weddings alone, but behaves erratically due to his state of depression, and soon becomes nihilistic and suicidal. Meanwhile, Jeremy continues his relationship with Gloria, culminating in an accepted marriage proposal, and Claire begins to doubt her relationship with Sack. Jeremy attempts to reconcile with John, asking him to be his best man, but John refuses. John then goes to meet their mentor, Chazz Reinhold (an uncredited Will Ferrell), to reaffirm Jeremy's apparent stupidity in getting engaged. During the visit, Chazz talks him into crashing a funeral, as Chazz believes that grief is the best aphrodisiac. While there, John takes notice of a woman who is truly grieving for her husband because she loved him. He reconsiders his stance on love and marriage and rushes to Jeremy's wedding.

John joins the wedding mid-ceremony to Jeremy's delight, but soon disrupts it by attempting to speak to Claire. Claire, in tears, leaves the altar, but John quickly professes his love to her and his feelings of regret of his past behavior toward women. Sack interrupts, asking Claire to return to the altar so the wedding can be finished. Claire finally tells Zack that she can't marry him. He turns to William for help, but instead William states his full support of his daughter's decision to reject Sack, after William admits he put up with Sack because he thought Claire was happy. Clearly angry, Sack demands that Claire to return to the altar. John states that everyone is getting a good preview of what it would be like to be married to Sack (whom he refers to as Ike Turner, referencing his abuse of his ex-wife Tina). Sack loses control of himself and rushes at John, but Jeremy intervenes and knocks him out.

The series ends with Jeremy and John busting the bad guy and marrying their respective love interests.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:54 pm 

Cute edits

Anyway if I can get a James Ellroy feel or hopefully a Cinatown feel from this second season I am happy. Hell I'll take a Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid feel even or Roger Rabbit. I love noir.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
I binge watched this over the last week. The first few episodes were great. It lost steam around Episode 5, but still remained entertaining. Glad I watched it, but I wish they could have connected some more dots. How deep was this covered up, or did this hillbilly just have access based on some family ties? Stuff like that.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:32 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
IMU wrote:
I binge watched this over the last week. The first few episodes were great. It lost steam around Episode 5, but still remained entertaining. Glad I watched it, but I wish they could have connected some more dots. How deep was this covered up, or did this hillbilly just have access based on some family ties? Stuff like that.

What was up with his varied accents? He had that refined british thing going on and that Loosiana drawl thing too. Tell me more! That character could have been developed more... seemed like they wanted to but didn't.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
It might be a decision they made so that the viewer knew the show was about the characters and not the story. Like Lost. Like a lot of shows.

Still think it could have been done better.

This is why I don't generally like movies, or mini-series. Not enough time to get invested in the characters, and not enough time to set scenes and build the foundation of a world / story.

Conversely, this is why I like most shows on HBO, Showtime, FX, AMC and book series like A Song of Ice and Fire and the Jack Ryan series. Fleshed out content.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:27 pm 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
You were right.. Snow is coming back... And everybody but me knew it immediately.. That's shitty writing, everybody knows Colin Ferrell ain't dead ..its weak ! Predictable.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:34 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
Feels like an Episode of CSI.

Mr Robot is way better

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:45 am 
Site Admin

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Also, once the writer's vision is committed to tape, his opinions about what happened off-screen or after the camera stopped are no more important than anyone else's. He had his chance to make anything clear that he wanted. If he didn't, it's up to the viewer to interpret things for himself. RPB thinks Tony Soprano died in the diner. Some other people don't. No one is right and no one is wrong. And even if David Chase came out tomorrow and said Tony was shot by Members Only, that doesn't make it true. He had the opportunity to make that occur and he didn't. for better or worse, it's open ended.

I've since changed my opinion on this. I've watched that last scene at least twenty times and I now think Chase made it very obvious that Tony was killed. However, I also understand people who hated the ending or those who aren't sure what happened. If he really wanted to kill Tony he could have made it more clear. I do think he left himself an out.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:57 am 

pizza_Place: world famous
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Also, once the writer's vision is committed to tape, his opinions about what happened off-screen or after the camera stopped are no more important than anyone else's. He had his chance to make anything clear that he wanted. If he didn't, it's up to the viewer to interpret things for himself. RPB thinks Tony Soprano died in the diner. Some other people don't. No one is right and no one is wrong. And even if David Chase came out tomorrow and said Tony was shot by Members Only, that doesn't make it true. He had the opportunity to make that occur and he didn't. for better or worse, it's open ended.

I've since changed my opinion on this. I've watched that last scene at least twenty times and I now think Chase made it very obvious that Tony was killed. However, I also understand people who hated the ending or those who aren't sure what happened. If he really wanted to kill Tony he could have made it more clear. I do think he left himself an out.

Just curious if you saw something different that made you change your mind?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:14 am 
Site Admin

Franky T wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Yeah, I've definitely been influenced by others who have broken down the scene. And as I said, I'm certain Chase's intention was to suggest that Tony was killed. The evidence is all there. But, and W_Z addressed this in the other thread, there is an escape hatch in case Chase/HBO wanted to make more money with, for example, a feature film. Gandolfini's death having rendered that a moot point, of course.

Here's my issue with the ending. The average viewer isn't a film student. He isn't naturally examining the sequence of shots, which in the case of that final scene are very specific and different than anything that had preceded them. He shouldn't be expected to know that Chase is a fan of 2001: A Space Odyssey and how that is influencing his shots and telegraphing his intentions. Television is populist entertainment, and as such it must necessarily appeal to the lowest common denominator (like football does).

What Chase has done with that final scene is somewhat akin to a person with a huge vocabulary consciously talking over the head of his audience. He shouldn't be surprised if that audience says, "Fuck you!"

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:25 am 

pizza_Place: world famous
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Franky T wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Yeah, I've definitely been influenced by others who have broken down the scene. And as I said, I'm certain Chase's intention was to suggest that Tony was killed. The evidence is all there. But, and W_Z addressed this in the other thread, there is an escape hatch in case Chase/HBO wanted to make more money with, for example, a feature film. Gandolfini's death having rendered that a moot point, of course.

Here's my issue with the ending. The average viewer isn't a film student. He isn't naturally examining the sequence of shots, which in the case of that final scene are very specific and different than anything that had preceded them. He shouldn't be expected to know that Chase is a fan of 2001: A Space Odyssey and how that is influencing his shots and telegraphing his intentions. Television is populist entertainment, and as such it must necessarily appeal to the lowest common denominator (like football does).

What Chase has done with that final scene is somewhat akin to a person with a huge vocabulary consciously talking over the head of his audience. He shouldn't be surprised if that audience says, "Fuck you!"

Chase = Bernstein, match!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:30 am 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Franky T wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Franky T wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Chase = Bernstein, match!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:15 am 

How you like them apples!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:14 am 
Site Admin

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 777 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26