It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 777 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 26  Next
 Post subject: Re: True Detective
PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:48 pm 
1000 CLUB

FavreFan wrote:
Beardown wrote:
Just saw it.

I agree. Tough to follow the dialogue sometimes. Especially with Russ's damn accent. So who are these two cell mates that they uncovered? Have we seen them. One guy is LaGue and the other guy is Lang. Lang is the Preacher of that tent church, right? Who's this LaGue? The dude in the gas mask?

I agree with GD about the ending. The music made it scary. Otherwise, you'd be cracking up at a half naked guy walking around in a gass mask. :lol:

Charlie Lange isn't the preacher. He's the inmate we saw in the pilot episode. I'm assuming the guy in the gas mask was Reggie Ledeaux or however the hell you spell that name.

Oh yeah. Back to what Q was asking. What was that phone conversation with Rust and Marty's wife about?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Papa Johns
Beardown wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Beardown wrote:
Just saw it.

I agree. Tough to follow the dialogue sometimes. Especially with Russ's damn accent. So who are these two cell mates that they uncovered? Have we seen them. One guy is LaGue and the other guy is Lang. Lang is the Preacher of that tent church, right? Who's this LaGue? The dude in the gas mask?

I agree with GD about the ending. The music made it scary. Otherwise, you'd be cracking up at a half naked guy walking around in a gass mask. :lol:

Charlie Lange isn't the preacher. He's the inmate we saw in the pilot episode. I'm assuming the guy in the gas mask was Reggie Ledeaux or however the hell you spell that name.

Oh yeah. Back to what Q was asking. What was that phone conversation with Rust and Marty's wife about?

Was that about them giving the case to the task force and catching murders afain?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Beardown wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Beardown wrote:
Just saw it.

I'm assuming Marty was out chasing tail and Maggie knows everyone at the station covers for him so she was hoping Rust wouldn't. Might be something more significant though.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:09 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
FF is right. Marty told her he got called out for work so he could go "not psycho" on little bit of blow job guy.

She thought Rust would tell her the truth.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:28 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
I got this in my head now I can't get it out. Whenever Marty asks Rust a question, he reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where Jerry agrees to not be funny.

http://youtu.be/ynmLdLwlgLI

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:56 pm 
1000 CLUB

Yeah, I figured it was her asking if her husband was cheating. Just thought it might have been something more.

That wife is a mean bitch, though.

Obviously the next episode is gonna be a shoot out in the woods with "Gas Mask boy".

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:16 am 

Yeah, I assumed that was just another cop. I doubt it's a plot point who it was.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:32 am 

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
FF is right. Marty told her he got called out for work so he could go "not psycho" on little bit of blow job guy.

She thought Rust would tell her the truth.

I thought it was a touch more complicated than you describe. I got the feeling she was asking him over and he responded something along the line that true cops prefer to be alone

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:37 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
I'll need to rewatch the last episode tonight. It was quite good but there was a lot going on and
I'd like a chance to really digest all the dialogue again after some of the points you guys are bringing
up.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:23 am 

I'm wondering if there is significance to them interviewing Rust before Marty. They want you to think they suspect Rust.

But, if that were really the case, wouldn't they interview Marty before they got to Rust? Just something I've been pondering in my obsession with the show as rewatched the ep in part for a third time last night.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:57 am 

Agreed. Even though both Cohle and Hart are a little nuts, the way in which the murders are being committed doesn't really mesh with either character's profile/backstory. It wouldn't make sense for Cohle to infuse grand meaning into murders when he believes life is meaningless. And Hart doesn't really seem like a complex or methodical enough man to really pull this off. I cant really envision a way in which either character is secretly the murderer and it actually fitting in with what we know about each guy after three episodes.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:23 pm 

I'm wondering if there is significance to them interviewing Rust before Marty. They want you to think they suspect Rust.

But, if that were really the case, wouldn't they interview Marty before they got to Rust? Just something I've been pondering in my obsession with the show as rewatched the ep in part for a third time last night.

I've drunk away my knowledge of criminal law but I don't think they can just bring you in for a casual conversation if you are a suspect. At some point they would have to stop and read Miranda rights. That doesn't even take into account Woody being a current officer who would have a union rep present at even the hint of impropriety.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:31 pm 

good dolphin wrote:

I've drunk away my knowledge of criminal law but I don't think they can just bring you in for a casual conversation if you are a suspect. At some point they would have to stop and read Miranda rights. That doesn't even take into account Woody being a current officer who would have a union rep present at even the hint of impropriety.

I get your point, but I don't think Marty is an officer still in 2012. In the pilot he talks about cops who retire with idle hands go right to the cemetery and mentions that he's been keeping busy with PI work and a security firm.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:43 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

I get your point, but I don't think Marty is an officer still in 2012. In the pilot he talks about cops who retire with idle hands go right to the cemetery and mentions that he's been keeping busy with PI work and a security firm.

This is correct. I also noticed that during his interviews he is not wearing a wedding ring. I forgot to see if the younger
him wears one.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
FavreFan wrote:
Agreed. Even though both Cohle and Hart are a little nuts, the way in which the murders are being committed doesn't really mesh with either character's profile/backstory. It wouldn't make sense for Cohle to infuse grand meaning into murders when he believes life is meaningless. And Hart doesn't really seem like a complex or methodical enough man to really pull this off. I cant really envision a way in which either character is secretly the murderer and it actually fitting in with what we know about each guy after three episodes.

No chance either is the murderer. To me the story reaks of these two getting into shit that's too deep and arresting a fall guy. You have that famous reverend tuttle's name getting dropped like crazy. He has a univeristy to train preachers. His brother is the governor of Louisiana creating task forces to fight crimes against Christianity. I'm sure the creator has an intricate web planned but that's where it's pointing for me.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:00 pm 

Kirkwood wrote:
No chance either is the murderer. To me the story reaks of these two getting into shit that's too deep and arresting a fall guy. You have that famous reverend tuttle's name getting dropped like crazy. He has a univeristy to train preachers. His brother is the governor of Louisiana creating task forces to fight crimes against Christianity. I'm sure the creator has an intricate web planned but that's where it's pointing for me.

This certainly seems to be a pretty logical look ahead. I think we are relatively sure that the guy they put away
for the crime is either only mildly involved or is completely framed up for it since the real killer appears to be still
on the loose.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:02 pm 

Am I the only one who's going to be highly disappointed if we don't get at least one scene with 2012 Marty/Rust interacting?

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:10 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

I didn't even mention that letting a person of interest drink a sixer and a flask during an interview probably wouldn't fly.

You were an MP. Did they give you any kind of training in domestic criminal interrogation?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:15 pm 

I didn't end up being an MP. Switched to electrician before Basic Training since I knew I didn't want to be a cop when I got out.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:10 pm 

I don't think either of them did it, either. Rust does ask them when he asks for beer "do you want this to be admissible? I thought you were just picking my brain." So, I don't think they're questioning them as suspects.

But, their line of questioning is definitely going down a weird path. Do they really just want to know about "Rust's process" because they've "heard stories"?

I think they (the writers) want us to think whatever the questioners are looking for is about Rust but I suspect whatever it is is about Marty. I think there's more to the interview stuff than just a storytelling device, just trying to figure out what it is.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:15 pm 
1000 CLUB

No way Rust or Marty did it. Every viewer's initial guess would be Rust after the first episode. No way the writer/creator would want to make it that easy.

Though the detectives are thinking it might be Rust. I think in episode 2, the younger black guy said something like "You were off the grid for 8 years, then you come back this New Orleans town and we get another dead body with the horns?"

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:26 pm 

Fuckin' love Rust. Spittin' reality.

The landowner effectively owns part shares in millions of part-time slaves called, "taxpayers." -Roy L
A Personal Relationship with Jesus?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:42 pm 

Q.Bovifs wrote:
Do they make a written transcription of these shows? Because I did not pick up on 75% of these revelatory lines that y'all are spittin' out here!

It's funny you say that, because I checked reddit to see if there was a True Detective sub (of course there was), and someone had a recommendation: watch the show with closed captioning on. Not a bad plan.

The landowner effectively owns part shares in millions of part-time slaves called, "taxpayers." -Roy L
A Personal Relationship with Jesus?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:14 pm 

pizza_Place: Papa Johns
Rust can taste colors and cross up senses?

It's a go nowhere but....he did say in the first episode that everything left a bad taste in his mouth with aluminum and ash...taste that psycho's fear.

This may be the Busch Lite talking.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:15 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Yeah, I assumed that was just another cop. I doubt it's a plot point who it was.

Yeah, I think the call was pretty straightforward. She was asking Rust if Marty was really out on the call that Marty had told her Geraci had sent him on. But there does seem to be some foreshadowing of a deeper relationship between Maggie and Rust. It wouldn't be a big surprise if the eventual blow-up between Marty and Rust is caused by that.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:46 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Yeah, I think the call was pretty straightforward. She was asking Rust if Marty was really out on the call that Marty had told her Geraci had sent him on. But there does seem to be some foreshadowing of a deeper relationship between Maggie and Rust. It wouldn't be a big surprise if the eventual blow-up between Marty and Rust is caused by that.

It was odd that they showed his gazing at the little girls when he was done cutting the grass. Almost like he was longing
or imagining what a family would be like. I'd say there is a chance she makes a move on Rust but not sure I see him
going through with it.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:59 pm 

They aren't airing this tomorrow night. Incompetent fucks.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:14 am 

pizza_Place: Kaiser's - Kenosha
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_y5AcBV0x0

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:07 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
I didn't even realize that was Eli when I saw it live.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:33 am 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
The last scene was absolutely nuts. Just absolute insanity. I love this show so much.

So they're sticking with Rust went on leave to see his father. They must have uncovered some real messed up shit. So the two black cops know Rust is seriously involved. *Spoiler* I watched next week's preview and the two cops really trying to get Rust to spill some shit. Can't wait to see what their angle is.

Last edited by Kirkwood on Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:40 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 777 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 26  Next