It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:55 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 777 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 26  Next
 Post subject: Re: True Detective
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:38 am 

I don't think I was in the right frame of mind to watch that tonight. I have no idea what the fuck was going on.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:20 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
This show rules. That long take was one of the most impressive sequences I've seen on TV, some Cuaron-level stuff.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:49 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
I definitely am going to watch it again but from the point Rust gets on the boat to the end was
some pretty intense television.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:19 am 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
ZephMarshack wrote:
This show rules. That long take was one of the most impressive sequences I've seen on TV, some Cuaron-level stuff.

I heard they did it 7 times and to get the shot of them going over the fence they hooked the camera guy up to a crane, hoisted him over, then unhooked him so he could continue. Crazy.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Keyser Soze wrote:
I don't think I was in the right frame of mind to watch that tonight. I have no idea what the fuck was going on.

I echo this 100%. With this show, I feel like I am missing nuances in the dialogue and visuals. I am going to watch it again and see what I missed.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:17 pm 
1000 CLUB

McConaughey has come a long way since his "how to lose a guy in ten days" days. I had forgotten that he and Woody did EDtv together.
I couldnt agree more about watching this show a couple of times each episode. The dialogue and facial expressions make this show. The music at the end of the last episode with tighty whitey psycho guy was spot on.

This show is a perfect example of why good TV is so much better than any Hollywood blockbuster. I get nearly 8 hours of this amazing story. I could not imagine this story line cut down to a two or three hour movie.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
Damn this show is so fucking good. I can't wait to find out where this is going.

My theory is Rust and Marty never had a falling out. Shit got waaaay too deep and Rust went back undercover. When he called the two black cops company men I'm thinking he meant unknowingly working for machine Gov. Tuttle and Rev. Tuttle run. Rust for sure killed Rev. Tuttle with that "mixed up" medication.

His storage locker must have a shit ton of evidence he collected while working undercover. Marty is just playing along acting surprised. He know how fucked up and crooked this Yellow King cult is.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:33 pm 

Gives some background on The Yellow King:
http://io9.com/the-one-literary-reference-you-must-know-to-appreciate-1523076497

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:34 pm 

Double-ish post. :lol:

Thanks SomeGuy.

Last edited by Kirkwood on Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:33 am 

pizza_Place: Papa Johns
Good Article.
Kirkwood wrote:

An even better article.
Kirkwood wrote:
A good article in the background of the Yellow King:
http://io9.com/the-one-literary-referen ... 1523076497

I think I'm going to have to watch the whole thing from ep one, today. Lots of clues dropped that seem to start to gel with stuff/imagery from earlier in the show.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:08 am 

Kirkwood wrote:
Damn this show is so fucking good. I can't wait to find out where this is going.

My theory is Rust and Marty never had a falling out. Shit got waaaay too deep and Rust went back undercover. When he called the two black cops company men I'm thinking he meant unknowingly working for machine Gov. Tuttle and Rev. Tuttle run. Rust for sure killed Rev. Tuttle with that "mixed up" medication.

His storage locker must have a shit ton of evidence he collected while working undercover. Marty is just playing along acting surprised. He know how fucked up and crooked this Yellow King cult is.

They are company men because they publicly accept the convenient explanation for the previous murders and their lack of connection to ongoing activity while privately knowing it is not the truth.

Did anyone get a read on what Ledoux said before getting shot? Something about black stars.

Rust brings together a few complicated and unrelated philosophies into his thoughts.

His membrane thoughts are from quantum physics string theory.

His time mashup I believe is Einstein relativity.

I am hardly an expert on such things but doesn't relativity break down on the quantum level? Also, the membrane theory is not that someone is looking down on us from a 4th dimension. It is that there are unlimited alternate universes that exist independent of each other. They do occasionally touch but we are as foreign to them as they are to us.

The circle is widely used to demonstrate perfection however, I it seems to me the circle he is using is buddhist in nature for how they teach reincarnation.

He intertwines so much that it really starts to sound like babble rather than a coherent view of life or philosophy...that and the six pack of beer and flask before noon.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:13 am 

So these police real don't think he is the killer, even though the writer tries to keep this point ambiguous. It is pretty clear that Rust left the force knowing he would be stopped for administrative reasons if he chose to pursue the case (and would get other people hurt). All of this is a ruse to throw the well heeled cult members off of him. He is not a drunk or drug addict. He has been pursuing this case the entire time.

In the coming scenes, was that Woody's wife in the lingerie talking on the phone to Rust. It seems to me she wants him and he continues to push her away. I think he will continue to do so and she will continue to pursue.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:23 am 

good dolphin wrote:
Did anyone get a read on what Ledoux said before getting shot? Something about black stars.

Quote:
Along the shore the cloud waves break,
The twin suns sink behind the lake,
The shadows lengthen
In Carcosa.
Strange is the night where black stars rise,
And strange moons circle through the skies,
But stranger still is
Lost Carcosa.
Songs that the Hyades shall sing,
Where flap the tatters of the King,
Must die unheard in
Dim Carcosa.
Song of my soul, my voice is dead,
Die thou, unsung, as tears unshed
Shall dry and die in
Lost Carcosa

From what I understand this is a stanza from a play within a collection of short stories called the King in Yellow. Anyone who witnesses or reads the play in the short stories go mad.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:29 am 

pizza_Place: Papa Johns
Kirkwood wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Quote:
Along the shore the cloud waves break,
The twin suns sink behind the lake,
The shadows lengthen
In Carcosa.
Strange is the night where black stars rise,
And strange moons circle through the skies,
But stranger still is
Lost Carcosa.
Songs that the Hyades shall sing,
Where flap the tatters of the King,
Must die unheard in
Dim Carcosa.
Song of my soul, my voice is dead,
Die thou, unsung, as tears unshed
Shall dry and die in
Lost Carcosa

From what I understand this is a stanza from a play within a collection of short stories called the King in Yellow. Anyone who witnesses or reads the play in the short stories go mad.

Point of clarification....Anyone can read the first act of the play, it's the 2nd act that drives the reader insane with it's revealing of the universes truths.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:40 pm 

I laughed at the mention of him joining Promise Keepers.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:19 pm 

I'm assuming the catatonic abused child is the same person from the previews for next week who tells him "the man with scars made me watch"

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:32 pm 

I wish one of the guys more familiar with criminal procedure were here to advise on this: when he tells them the only way they can look at his files is by getting a warrant, is this a way to get in what might otherwise be inadmissible evidence? That is probably a bit too sophisticated for the writer to consider.

Maybe getting a warrant would make the cause of the crimes much more public than the company men would like.

It would seem like a warrant would be easily obtained with the information they already have in their possession. He is daring them to take that step.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:47 pm 

Here's one of the many things I'm confused about. Why did Rust go back to that school? They were there and Rust talked to the guy on the lawn mower but he didn't go inside because Marty got the call about Ladue. What made Rust go back? Who was the guy on the lawn mower? Did Marty not want him to go inside?

The fact that they lied (and are still lying) about how the Ladue shooting went down is fascinating. I wonder what else they lied about.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Cali Za Kitchen
Keyser Soze wrote:
Here's one of the many things I'm confused about. Why did Rust go back to that school? They were there and Rust talked to the guy on the lawn mower but he didn't go inside because Marty got the call about Ladue. What made Rust go back? Who was the guy on the lawn mower? Did Marty not want him to go inside?

The fact that they lied (and are still lying) about how the Ladue shooting went down is fascinating. I wonder what else they lied about.

I assumed he was just retracing his steps from the case to see if there was something he missed. He stopped at the tree, then the school.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:54 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
The guy who mowed the grass also told him that he was paid by that religious group that Tuttle runs to keep up the property. I think he's already starting to suspect that a powerful guy is at the heart of this or he was just retracing or both.

I'll have to rematch to be sure.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:06 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
Need more on the little twig sculptures. They seem to recognize them at all these stops and know then a connection exists, but still need more on these.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:58 pm 

this show is boring as shit.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Cali Za Kitchen
IkeSouth wrote:

I think you're confusing True Detective with the Walking Dead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:31 pm 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
IkeSouth wrote:

Did you even see last week's episode?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:35 pm 
1000 CLUB

This show is awesome

It's obviously not Rust. Like I said early, that would be too easy and this writer isn't gonna take the easy route on this one.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:38 pm 

I like gd's theory that he never got off the case. Makes sense.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:38 pm 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
Beardown wrote:
It's obviously not Rust.

That's exactly what they want you to think.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:43 pm 
1000 CLUB

Anybody have a good website or blog where the recap and analyze True Detective? I did a google search, but some are better than others. I'd rather not read all of them if anybody here knows of a good one.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:49 pm 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
good dolphin wrote:
I wish one of the guys more familiar with criminal procedure were here to advise on this: when he tells them the only way they can look at his files is by getting a warrant, is this a way to get in what might otherwise be inadmissible evidence? That is probably a bit too sophisticated for the writer to consider.

Maybe getting a warrant would make the cause of the crimes much more public than the company men would like.

It would seem like a warrant would be easily obtained with the information they already have in their possession. He is daring them to take that step.

If a warrant was easily attainable, then they would be inside already .

Agreed beardown, no way its rust...he's just been following the case for years n doin his own investigation.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:50 pm 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
Beardown wrote:
Anybody have a good website or blog where the recap and analyze True Detective? I did a google search, but some are better than others. I'd rather not read all of them if anybody here knows of a good one.

I can answer any ?s ya got.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 777 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 26  Next