It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:55 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 777 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next
 Post subject: Re: True Detective
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 11:58 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
good dolphin wrote:
Why do I always seem to be on the opposite of the thinking man's side of every viewpoint?

It seems that I am on the opposite side of the opinion in this case. I merely meant it wasn't a clear cut ending. You kind of take out of it what you want.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 12:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Papa Johns
rogers park bryan wrote:
SomeGuy wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Ok, so that scene was completely useless and meant nothing.

Kinda stupid to have it then. The best shows dont have filler. Everything is important for one reason or another.

It set up Harrelsons lines, and gave you a look into his marriage and how he thinks about the world.

Again, you're aet on seeing things one single narrow way.

Set up Harrelson's lines? No, sorry all he said was cmon girls or something like that. There was no need for her to specifically rebuke the suggestion of Grandpa's help. They could have said anything and Harrelson would still say "Cmon girls"

Do you honestly believe the line about the grandfather was not put in purposely to make people consider the grandpa?

If so, we disagree.

Anyway, great 6 episodes

It's like you were in a different dimension and watching a totally different show.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 12:37 pm 

SomeGuy wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
SomeGuy wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Ok, so that scene was completely useless and meant nothing.

Kinda stupid to have it then. The best shows dont have filler. Everything is important for one reason or another.

It set up Harrelsons lines, and gave you a look into his marriage and how he thinks about the world.

Again, you're aet on seeing things one single narrow way.

Set up Harrelson's lines? No, sorry all he said was cmon girls or something like that. There was no need for her to specifically rebuke the suggestion of Grandpa's help. They could have said anything and Harrelson would still say "Cmon girls"

Do you honestly believe the line about the grandfather was not put in purposely to make people consider the grandpa?

If so, we disagree.

Anyway, great 6 episodes

It's like you were in a different dimension and watching a totally different show.

Me and the entire internet, apparently

Most people who watched the show (judging from what was written here and everywhere) thought the grandpa scene was foreshadowing something.

I dont begrudge you, Denis and Panther liking the simple conclusion. I just didnt like it. And it wasnt just me, quite obviously.

This show was like the Movie Fight Club. Great plot totally undermined by a terrible ending....in my opinion.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 12:41 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Q.Bovifs wrote:
Hipsters simply cannot accept that alternate viewpoints exist that aren't so complex and Phil Emery-approved!

This is hysterical coming from the Number 1 conspiracy theorist on the board.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 12:42 pm 

Aside from the disagreements on the finale...how the fuck can Rust be coming back? Gotta be a prequel right?

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 12:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Agree with denis, intelligent people should have liked the ending. I loved it.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 12:46 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
Agree with denis, intelligent people should have liked the ending. I loved it.

:lol:

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 12:49 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
rogers park bryan wrote:
Aside from the disagreements on the finale...how the fuck can Rust be coming back? Gotta be a prequel right?

One year after the events of True Detective, LA State Police Sergeants Martin Hart and Rustin Cohle are pursuing unidentified suspects transporting an illegal shipment of gold krugerrands. South Africa's apartheid government subsequently charges local consul-general Arjen Rudd (Joss Ackland) and security agent Pieter Vorstedt (Derrick O'Connor) to warn both detectives off the investigation; they are reassigned to protecting an obnoxious federal witness, Leo Getz (Joe Pesci), after an attack on Hart's home.

It soon becomes clear that both cases are related: after an attempt on Getz's life, Cohle and Hart learn of the former's murky past laundering funds for vengeful smugglers. Getz eventually leads them to the gang, but upon dispatching his would-be assassin and returning with backup they are confronted by Rudd, who invokes diplomatic immunity on behalf of his unscrupulous 'associates'.

Though instructed to leave the case alone, Cohle begins to openly harass the South African consulate, defying Rudd and romancing his secretary, Rika van den Haas (Patsy Kensit), a liberal-minded Afrikaner who despises her boss and his racial philosophy. Vorstedt is dispatched to murder Cohle while Hart deduces that Rudd is attempting to ship funds from his smuggling circle in the United States to Cape Town via LA.

Seizing Cohle at the van den Haas home, Vorstedt discloses that he was responsible for the death of Rust's daughter years earlier during a botched assassination. He succeeds in drowning Rika, but a vengeful Cohle makes good his escape. He phones Hart, declaring an intention to pursue Rudd; the other policeman willingly forsakes his badge to aid his partner. Rescuing Getz, they head for the Alba Varden, Rudds' freighter, as the South Africans prepare their getaway with millions in drug money.

Cohle and Hart stow away in a crate, engaging the ship's crew when they are discovered. Vorstedt is killed by a falling cargo container, but Rudd retaliates by wounding Cohle in the back. Heedless of his claims to protected status, Hart shoots the diplomat in the head and tends to Cohle, sharing a laugh with him as more LA State Police personnel respond to the scene.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 12:52 pm 

ZephMarshack wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

I don't want to get bogged down here in a possibly inexact analogy stated off the cuff.

My point is that a character in almost any story eventually comes to the point where looks into the abyss. The character will really only evolve if he accepts what he finds. The character is stunted if he looks into it with the reality being too horrible (and I don't mean that horrible in a slasher movie sort of way) for him to accept and so, he steps away unchanged.

I really hate to be a person saying this but Cohle's reversion to belief in a happy afterlife seems like a character devolving rather than evolving.

I disagree completely. Cohle's nihilism throughout the early part of the series was clearly a defense mechanism IMO. The only time he actually lived by that philosophy was possibly when he was off drinking for a few years after he quit the force. His dedication to the case in the first place however indicated a commitment to something greater than himself, something he was only in a position to admit at the conclusion of the series, even in the face of having nothing (and I think it's reductive to treat that ending conversation as nothing more than a happy afterlife change of heart anyway).

Marty's criticism of Cohle's life in the early part of the show may have been completely hypocritical but it wasn't inaccurate. The fact that Rust didn't get to crack the entire case nor even get the tragic death he was so clearly pining for yet admitted that there was something worthwhile about existence is exactly an evolution of his character.

This was an interesting and great post.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 12:55 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

One year after the events of True Detective, LA State Police Sergeants Martin Hart and Rustin Cohle are pursuing unidentified suspects transporting an illegal shipment of gold krugerrands. South Africa's apartheid government subsequently charges local consul-general Arjen Rudd (Joss Ackland) and security agent Pieter Vorstedt (Derrick O'Connor) to warn both detectives off the investigation; they are reassigned to protecting an obnoxious federal witness, Leo Getz (Joe Pesci), after an attack on Hart's home.

It soon becomes clear that both cases are related: after an attempt on Getz's life, Cohle and Hart learn of the former's murky past laundering funds for vengeful smugglers. Getz eventually leads them to the gang, but upon dispatching his would-be assassin and returning with backup they are confronted by Rudd, who invokes diplomatic immunity on behalf of his unscrupulous 'associates'.

Though instructed to leave the case alone, Cohle begins to openly harass the South African consulate, defying Rudd and romancing his secretary, Rika van den Haas (Patsy Kensit), a liberal-minded Afrikaner who despises her boss and his racial philosophy. Vorstedt is dispatched to murder Cohle while Hart deduces that Rudd is attempting to ship funds from his smuggling circle in the United States to Cape Town via LA.

Seizing Cohle at the van den Haas home, Vorstedt discloses that he was responsible for the death of Rust's daughter years earlier during a botched assassination. He succeeds in drowning Rika, but a vengeful Cohle makes good his escape. He phones Hart, declaring an intention to pursue Rudd; the other policeman willingly forsakes his badge to aid his partner. Rescuing Getz, they head for the Alba Varden, Rudds' freighter, as the South Africans prepare their getaway with millions in drug money.

Cohle and Hart stow away in a crate, engaging the ship's crew when they are discovered. Vorstedt is killed by a falling cargo container, but Rudd retaliates by wounding Cohle in the back. Heedless of his claims to protected status, Hart shoots the diplomat in the head and tends to Cohle, sharing a laugh with him as more LA State Police personnel respond to the scene.

:lol:

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 1:16 pm 

There were two kinds of annoying True Detective fans (Calm down, I include myself in one of them)

The person who took every single word and object on the show and tried to derive some meaning leading to a grand twist that no one saw coming (except them and their internet buddies) because that would prove intelligence via television prognostication ability

And

The person who played the "OMG, you guys are seeing things that arent there and it doesnt fit your narrative so you whine. I, on the other hand, am too smart and refined to be distracted by such nonsense. I was able to enjoy the show for what it was"

Of course the answer is in the middle as usual. Obviously many of us went overboard with the symbolism but on the other hand, its just not factual to say the things (the daughter references to rape, the yellow king, the dora lang symbol)"werent there"

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 5:29 pm 

Q.Bovifs wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Q.Bovifs wrote:
Hipsters simply cannot accept that alternate viewpoints exist that aren't so complex and Phil Emery-approved!

This is hysterical coming from the Number 1 conspiracy theorist on the board.

First of all, I am not Number 1. There are theorists of a higher order than myself, however, their identities shall remain classified.

Blu Bombay is worse.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 6:16 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
There were two kinds of annoying True Detective fans (Calm down, I include myself in one of them)

The person who took every single word and object on the show and tried to derive some meaning leading to a grand twist that no one saw coming (except them and their internet buddies) because that would prove intelligence via television prognostication ability

And

The person who played the "OMG, you guys are seeing things that arent there and it doesnt fit your narrative so you whine. I, on the other hand, am too smart and refined to be distracted by such nonsense. I was able to enjoy the show for what it was"

Of course the answer is in the middle as usual. Obviously many of us went overboard with the symbolism but on the other hand, its just not factual to say the things (the daughter references to rape, the yellow king, the dora lang symbol)"werent there"

Jim Rome wrote:
Hey "True Detective Guy"...thanks for the explanation. You're just getting started. Don't worry I know. The Bayou will never be the same. How 'bout this. How about we just set up the fact that green paint can cover someone's ears? Hey, Guy, can you answer this question for me? Why are you diagramming an abandoned elementary school and drinking Lone Star while cutting cans into people? 'Don't worry, it's all going to be answered'. Hey True Detective Guy...what's the shaggy hair for? Errr. Err. True Detective Guy. Isn't as bad as Walking Dead Guy. Hey can I ask you a question, Walking Dead Guy? Is it necessary to have a copy of a zombie apocalypse handbook AND constantly talk about how to survive in a utopia run by some jerkoff nobody cares about? Why am I talking to you, Walking Dead Guy? Why don't you meet True Detective Guy. You both can go talk to Game of Thrones Guy...who's still listening to the audio books while notating all of the differences, letting you know. Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 8:54 pm 

W_Z wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

And

Jim Rome wrote:
Hey "True Detective Guy"...thanks for the explanation. You're just getting started. Don't worry I know. The Bayou will never be the same. How 'bout this. How about we just set up the fact that green paint can cover someone's ears? Hey, Guy, can you answer this question for me? Why are you diagramming an abandoned elementary school and drinking Lone Star while cutting cans into people? 'Don't worry, it's all going to be answered'. Hey True Detective Guy...what's the shaggy hair for? Errr. Err. True Detective Guy. Isn't as bad as Walking Dead Guy. Hey can I ask you a question, Walking Dead Guy? Is it necessary to have a copy of a zombie apocalypse handbook AND constantly talk about how to survive in a utopia run by some jerkoff nobody cares about? Why am I talking to you, Walking Dead Guy? Why don't you meet True Detective Guy. You both can go talk to Game of Thrones Guy...who's still listening to the audio books while notating all of the differences, letting you know. Thanks.

Racked

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 9:59 am 

True Detective is starting over next season with a new cast and a new mystery, and, until this week, the only sure thing was that Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson wouldn't be returning as the show's leads. But, in a recent interview, series creator Nic Pizzolatto revealed a little bit more.

Here's what he told public radio program To the Best of Our Knowledge:

Right now, we're working with three leads. It takes place in California. Not Los Angeles, but some of the lesser known venues of California and we're going to try to capture a certain psychosphere ambience of the place, much like we did with season one. The characters are all new, but I am deeply in love with all of them. We have the entire season broken out, and I have a couple of scripts, and we'll probably start casting within the coming month.
True Detective's serial format allows Pizzolatto to fuck with not only the main cast, but also the setting and the first season's entire mismatched-cop-partners dynamic. It looks like he's taking full advantage.

Pizzolatto previously described Season 2 as a story of "bad men, hard women and the secret occult history of the United States transportation system."

Thus far, he hasn't revealed his source material—season one borrowed from an 1895 short story collection called The King in Yellow—or even what time period Season 2 will be set in.

The One Literary Reference You Must Know to Appreciate ​True Detective
Two episodes into the series, True Detective dropped a reference to one of the strangest, most…
Read on io9.​com
As far as casting, we can only rule out three people as leads: Harrelson, McConaughey, and Jessica Chastain. Anyone else (including Brad Pitt) is fair game.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 10:26 am 

There was absolutely no reason to know anything about The Yellow King when watching Season 1. The writer pretended for a bit that it was necessary but he did not deliver. It was nothing more than babbling in regards to how the show concluded.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:56 am 

pizza_Place: Kaiser's - Kenosha

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:58 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
There was absolutely no reason to know anything about The Yellow King when watching Season 1. The writer pretended for a bit that it was necessary but he did not deliver. It was nothing more than babbling in regards to how the show concluded.

in real life, detectives regularly get false leads. this show is just trying to be real (which is boring)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
IkeSouth wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

in real life, detectives regularly get false leads. this show is just trying to be real (which is boring)

so true, I can't tell you how many times in real live I've heard about cases that were so full of false leads even people completely not involved in the crimes had evidence/clues hanging on the walls in their homes. Happens all the time in real life.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Angelo's Pizza in Downers Grove
Vince Vaughn in talks for True Detective Season 2.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:47 pm 

pizza_Place: My moms grave
Big Chicagoan wrote:

You sure. Collin Farrell was confirmed. Taylor Kitsch was sorta confirmed and the third is supposed to be an alcoholic female. He wouldn't be a lead but possible.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:48 pm 

pizza_Place: Jack Brickhouse Toppings
Erotic Lawyer wrote:
Big Chicagoan wrote:

You sure. Collin Farrell was confirmed. Taylor Kitsch was sorta confirmed and the third is supposed to be an alcoholic female. He wouldn't be a lead but possible.

Nobody is confirmed.

"He sounds like a man that was never challenged to be a man."
"He gives a lot of opinions without probably having many life experiences."

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:54 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
No thanks on the Vaughn idea.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Beggars
Big Chicagoan wrote:

Have him take permanent heavy lead in Episode 2.

:D :D :D

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:55 pm 

JBills wrote:
Erotic Lawyer wrote:
Big Chicagoan wrote:

Nobody is confirmed.

Kitsch isn't. Might be mistaken but Collin is might have been drunk when I read it. The story is too.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Kaiser's - Kenosha
This is pretty much where we stand.......
http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/201 ... orted.html

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:56 pm 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
Big Chicagoan wrote:

Oh shit...say it ain't so...I can't even remember his last good flik.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:26 am 

shirtless driver wrote:
This is pretty much where we stand.......
http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/201 ... orted.html

Oh hmmmm. I love the whole la confidential, Chinatown, who framed roger rabbit theme. I honestly do not sure about the casting and more worried about Fukinaga not being involved.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:51 am 

Yeah, I saw the Vaughn thing.

I wouldnt think he'd be good, but sometimes people surprise you in these types of roles

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:21 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Yeah, I saw the Vaughn thing.

I wouldnt think he'd be good, but sometimes people surprise you in these types of roles

He's played a villian before. Domestic Disturbance, yo.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 777 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next