It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 402 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Wire
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:37 am 

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Season 5 wasn't great but there is some great stuff in there.

And seeing Bodie age out of the game and talking to McNulty (getting him killed for no damn reason) was excellent stuff.

Michael's goodbye scenes to Bug and Duq were as gut wrenching as it gets for television.

Yeah, that was the best part of 5 - not fun - but seeing what happened to the kids. That's where you see how hard Randy got, which was sad. But Namond's story was great also.

Duq's ending was the absolute worst. You just know he was never going to get clean as Bubbles did. The Wire was made before the opium epidemic really hit so you just know he would be dead as soon as he took fentanyl or something similar.

Everyone saw him as the new Bubbles but an even more depressing way to look at it is he was the new Sherrod.

I always saw him as Sherrod. I never once thought of him as Bubbles.

Interesting. Ive always heard Bubbles. He certainly had the warm personality and light hearted nature of Bubs.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:39 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
I always saw him as Sherrod. I never once thought of him as Bubbles.
Why did he start doing heroin? Was it after he joined up with the trash man? It seems like there would have been easier ways to find a place to stay like finding a homeless shelter until you were old enough to get real work.

Am I not remembering something but was the thought process really "Hey, you can make some money recycling metal, but you also will end up spending all that money on heroin by hanging with this guy" and he was like "Sign me up!".

I'm not sure you could live at a homeless shelter long term.

I do think he had other options though. He probably should have just been straight with Prez and said he had nowhere to live. Prez would have helped him.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:49 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
That gets back to me wondering why everyone let Marlo walk all over them. The Barksdale organization was bigger and stronger until they got shut down by the cops and they had to work with and against many of the same people that didn't do anything even AFTER Marlo took out Joe and blamed it on Omar which most could pretty clearly tell was a lie.

Avon was an empire. Marlo was basically just a guy who had a few people around him who were willing to kill for him without question.

I kinda lost you halfway through that.

I dont think Barksdale was bigger and stronger by season 3. I think Marlo's crew catching them napping on the street and sniffing out the Devonne plan showed Marlo's crew was operating on a higher level at that point.

With Stringer dead and Avon in jail, the empire died. All the lower level guys will work for whoever they have to (see Bodie, Stinkum)

As far as the co-op (small complaint, Prop Joe mentioned the co-op by name so often it became annoying) they may have been planning revenge anyway. They took out Cheese and then Marlo got pinched.
The Barksdale organization was much bigger. They had the Greek connection along with more manpower and buildings and operations going on.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:49 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
That gets back to me wondering why everyone let Marlo walk all over them. The Barksdale organization was bigger and stronger until they got shut down by the cops and they had to work with and against many of the same people that didn't do anything even AFTER Marlo took out Joe and blamed it on Omar which most could pretty clearly tell was a lie.

Avon was an empire. Marlo was basically just a guy who had a few people around him who were willing to kill for him without question.

I dont think Barksdale was bigger and stronger by season 3. I think Marlo's crew catching them napping on the street and sniffing out the Devonne plan showed Marlo's crew was operating on a higher level at that point.

With Stringer dead and Avon in jail, the empire died. All the lower level guys will work for whoever they have to (see Bodie, Stinkum)

As far as the co-op (small complaint, Prop Joe mentioned the co-op by name so often it became annoying) they may have been planning revenge anyway. They took out Cheese and then Marlo got pinched.
The Barksdale organization was much bigger. They had the Greek connection along with more manpower and buildings and operations going on.

When are you talking about?

When the towers came down (beginning of season 3) the Barksdale power came down with them.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:54 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

When are you talking about?

When the towers came down (beginning of season 3) the Barksdale power came down with them.
The other competing groups put up far more of a fight against Avon/Stringer than they did against Marlo, even though Marlo was not nearly as big. Marlo was still meeting people in a public park.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:35 am 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
the metaphor of the dust from the towers spreading into the surrounding streets being was the inevitable drug trade and power struggle that now was going end up out there. not too subtle.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:02 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
SuperNintendoHjalmarsson wrote:
the metaphor of the dust from the towers spreading into the surrounding streets being was the inevitable drug trade and power struggle that now was going end up out there. not too subtle.

None of that season is subtle at all.

The season finale being titled Missioned Accomplished.

"If it's a lie, then we fight on that lie!"

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:24 pm 

Spoilers ahead.
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
People will tell you otherwise, but the last season isn't very good. Go in with low expectations and it's ok but it's far worse than any of the other seasons.

The show really goes downhill when McNulty quits the force to go to clown school.

Season 5 is better than most give it credit for. The problem is many viewers miss the real lesson of season 5, which is a warning of what will happen to our democracy when the press falls apart. I went to an event where David Simon was speaking and he really drove home the real lesson, which is when the Sun cuts its staff, the newspaper and press as a whole miss the biggest story in the entire city. The press never catches wind of the scandal involving the BPD with the mayor's office covering for them. Instead Carcetti (Martin O'Malley) gets to become governor instead of having his career derailed by the scandal.

Watch Season 5 with that in mind and it takes on more meaning and lives up to the other seasons. The entire show is about the decay of our institutions and it can be argued that the decay of the press carries the most alarming consequences. See 2016.

I disagree. It was by far the most unrealistic plot in the whole show, destroyed multiple characters, and quite honestly made no sense. McNulty was originally defendable as a guy who blurred the lines sometimes but was always fighting for what was right to doing a series of felonies in order to try and capture a guy. The fact that Lester went in with him also ruins him as a character. The weak tie in of the reporter who also was lying was way too perfect and just as unbelievable. At the end everyone is basically laughing about one of the most egregious actions possible involving nearly the whole department.

The Marlo storyline also failed to deliver and was a big nothing. Most of the newspaper storyline was just a bunch of crying about how newspapers are failing along with some doofus reporter doing something done.

I think the season would have been much better if they had concentrated more on the international storylines along with the political corruption storylines rather than the character destroying police department misconduct.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:55 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Spoilers ahead.
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
People will tell you otherwise, but the last season isn't very good. Go in with low expectations and it's ok but it's far worse than any of the other seasons.

The show really goes downhill when McNulty quits the force to go to clown school.

Season 5 is better than most give it credit for. The problem is many viewers miss the real lesson of season 5, which is a warning of what will happen to our democracy when the press falls apart. I went to an event where David Simon was speaking and he really drove home the real lesson, which is when the Sun cuts its staff, the newspaper and press as a whole miss the biggest story in the entire city. The press never catches wind of the scandal involving the BPD with the mayor's office covering for them. Instead Carcetti (Martin O'Malley) gets to become governor instead of having his career derailed by the scandal.

Watch Season 5 with that in mind and it takes on more meaning and lives up to the other seasons. The entire show is about the decay of our institutions and it can be argued that the decay of the press carries the most alarming consequences. See 2016.

I disagree. It was by far the most unrealistic plot in the whole show, destroyed multiple characters, and quite honestly made no sense. McNulty was originally defendable as a guy who blurred the lines sometimes but was always fighting for what was right to doing a series of felonies in order to try and capture a guy. The fact that Lester went in with him also ruins him as a character. The weak tie in of the reporter who also was lying was way too perfect and just as unbelievable. At the end everyone is basically laughing about one of the most egregious actions possible involving nearly the whole department.

The Marlo storyline also failed to deliver and was a big nothing. Most of the newspaper storyline was just a bunch of crying about how newspapers are failing along with some doofus reporter doing something done.

I think the season would have been much better if they had concentrated more on the international storylines along with the political corruption storylines rather than the character destroying police department misconduct.

McNulty being defendable is not the point. He was finally pushed over the edge into "doing felonies" to combat the status quo stats chasing bullshit.

Lester in the same boat.

Not sure what end you were looking for with Marlo.

The season was fine considering the fact that 2 of the best 5 characters on the show combined for 1 meaningless scene.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:59 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
McNulty being defendable is not the point. He was finally pushed over the edge into "doing felonies" to combat the status quo stats chasing bullshit.

Lester in the same boat.
Lester was ruined by that. It goes against what his character always was. It was also just a dumb plan with no chance of success.

rogers park bryan wrote:
Literally anything.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:05 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
rogers park bryan wrote:
The season was fine considering the fact that 2 of the best 5 characters on the show combined for 1 meaningless scene.

Which scene?

I hope it wasn't McNulty and Bodie on the bench in the park. That scene is great.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:06 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
Lester always played quick and loose with the rules when he felt it helped the greater good. The McNulty thing in Season 5 was just the icing on the cake.

Any "good" cop on the show basically had to break the law to try to help the city. Bunny, Lester, McNulty... they all did bad things in service to the greater good. The city just covered it up and kept the status quo because that is what keeps money coming in to the right people's wallets.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
Lester was aware of the illegal seizure of Bodie's phone in Season 3, in order to get into their disposable phone network. Lester wasn't always 100% by the books.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:34 pm 

IMU wrote:
Lester was aware of the illegal seizure of Bodie's phone in Season 3, in order to get into their disposable phone network. Lester wasn't always 100% by the books.
I know he wasn't 100% by the books. No cop on the show was. Lester was portrayed as a man of high character who would have been considered one of the good cops and then suddenly he jumps all in on the worst criminal actions by cops in the whole series?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:51 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

Lester in the same boat.
Lester was ruined by that. It goes against what his character always was. It was also just a dumb plan with no chance of success.

Nah, this is a you thing. It's definitely not the best season but you take it way too far. Lester is pretty much still in everyone's top 5 favorite characters

And it wasn't even against what his character was. There are several pre-season 5 instances of him disregarding the law and his bosses for the greater good.

At their core, McNulty and Freamon were about one thing over everything else...fuck the stat chasing bullshit.

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
[
rogers park bryan wrote:
Literally anything.

He's a massive drug dealer who was brought down by police and went to jail and then bailed out. That part made perfect sense.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:52 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:

Which scene?

I hope it wasn't McNulty and Bodie on the bench in the park. That scene is great.

I worded that poorly.

Was referring to Avon (meaningless jail scene) and Stringer (dead)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:01 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
IMU wrote:
I know he wasn't 100% by the books. No cop on the show was. Lester was portrayed as a man of high character who would have been considered one of the good cops and then suddenly he jumps all in on the worst criminal actions by cops in the whole series?

Now we're getting somewhere.

What they did was no different than Bunny's Hamsterdam. Just playing the system in the name of doing real police work.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:05 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Nah, this is a you thing. It's definitely not the best season but you take it way too far. Lester is pretty much still in everyone's top 5 favorite characters

And it wasn't even against what his character was. There are several pre-season 5 instances of him disregarding the law and his bosses for the greater good.

At their core, McNulty and Freamon were about one thing over everything else...fuck the stat chasing bullshit.
I don't know why people are so defensive about that season. If you only saw the last season of The Wire you wouldn't think it was anything but average.

Even if we say Lester wasn't perfect, this was not for the greater good. That's the problem. Faking murders, kidnapping, fraud, and other crimes involving the whole department all so they could get funding to go after a drug dealer who would just be replaced by other guys like he replaced other guys. That's a big difference from cutting a few corners to get to the ultimate correct place.

rogers park bryan wrote:
He's a massive drug dealer who was brought down by police and went to jail and then bailed out. That part made perfect sense.
You think a lot of drug kingpins get caught, avoid jail time, all the other drug dealers say "Ok cool, have a nice life!" and then the guy starts buying real estate? I mean, Marlo had a bunch of enemies and most people knew exactly what he did and he gets to retire? Are we to expect he was just walking around Baltimore being like "Hey former rivals, I killed a bunch of your people and Prop Joe and others, I'm off to the grocery store and have a good day!"

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:07 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
IMU wrote:

What they did was no different than Bunny's Hamsterdam. Just playing the system in the name of doing real police work.
Of course it was worse. Looking past criminal activity in a certain area is not the same as faking murders, kidnapping, committing massive fraud, and a bunch of other crimes along the way.

Season 5 was not real police work. It's the only time in the series where the actions taken have no defense that they are done for the greater good.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:11 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

I don't know why people are so defensive about that season. If you only saw the last season of The Wire you wouldn't think it was anything but average.

Even if we say Lester wasn't perfect, this was not for the greater good. That's the problem. Faking murders, kidnapping, fraud, and other crimes involving the whole department all so they could get funding to go after a drug dealer who would just be replaced by other guys like he replaced other guys. That's a big difference from cutting a few corners to get to the ultimate correct place.

Yea, I disagree. They didnt really fake murders. The kidnapping was bad but Lester wasnt on board with that.

Fraud? Seriously?

I feel like your take on what they did is pretty unique. Most people say stuff like "yea, not good, but they had their reasons" not "the worst criminal act on the show!"

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
You think a lot of drug kingpins get caught, avoid jail time, all the other drug dealers say "Ok cool, have a nice life!" and then the guy starts buying real estate? I mean, Marlo had a bunch of enemies and most people knew exactly what he did and he gets to retire? Are we to expect he was just walking around Baltimore being like "Hey former rivals, I killed a bunch of your people and Prop Joe and others, I'm off to the grocery store and have a good day!"

Uh what?

Why would you assume a ridiculous post script like that?

Marlo probably ends up getting killed or going to jail for good down the line. They showed you he couldnt go straight and stay away.

It would have been disingenuous to speed up that process to coincide with the end of the show. He probably survives another couple years.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:13 pm 

You think Marlo walked away from the life? I thought the scene where he goes and takes a corner back was a sign that he was never really turning his back on the streets.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:16 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
IMU wrote:

Of course it was worse. Looking past criminal activity in a certain area is not the same as faking murders, kidnapping, committing massive fraud, and a bunch of other crimes along the way.

They didnt fake murders. They skewed the way they handled them.

The kidnapping was bad but the guy was never in danger and never knew the difference, so hard to get too upset about that.

Committing massive fraud is just a hilarious take.

Bunny didnt just ignore crime either. He created a drug free island. They gave drug dealers rides there!

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Season 5 was not real police work. It's the only time in the series where the actions taken have no defense that they are done for the greater good.

Season 5 was them going to extremes to loosen the purse strings to do real police work, which they most certainly did with Marlo and associates.

Chris killed at least 23 people and he's in jail for life. Greater good.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:17 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Yea, I disagree. They didnt really fake murders. The kidnapping was bad but Lester wasnt on board with that.

Fraud? Seriously?

I feel like your take on what they did is pretty unique. Most people say stuff like "yea, not good, but they had their reasons" not "the worst criminal act on the show!"
They did fake murders. I think a few times.

I didn't say it was the worst criminal act on the show. I said it was the worst one by police.

rogers park bryan wrote:
Uh what?

Marlo probably ends up getting killed or going to jail for good down the line. They showed you he couldnt go straight and stay away.

It would have been disingenuous to speed up that process to coincide with the end of the show. He probably survives another couple years.
They already sped up the show at the very end to show what happened to everyone later. They jumped far enough ahead to have Carcetti be Governor. Marlo seemingly is just living life as a normal person who wishes he was back to his original life.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:17 pm 

Hank Scorpio wrote:
You think Marlo walked away from the life? I thought the scene where he goes and takes a corner back was a sign that he was never really turning his back on the streets.

I dont think Rick ever watched season 5. It's a long con.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:20 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:

The kidnapping was bad but the guy was never in danger and never knew the difference, so hard to get too upset about that.

Bunny didnt just ignore crime either. He created a drug free island. They gave drug dealers rides there!
They did fake murders! That's why the police guy was giving them fresh bodies of the homeless. They planted stuff on the body and even put bite marks on them.

What exactly is your point here? Is there no criticism of anything in season 5? Kidnapping, no big deal! Massive fraud, no big deal!
rogers park bryan wrote:
Season 5 was them going to extremes to loosen the purse strings to do real police work, which they most certainly did with Marlo and associates.

They spent the entire post-Avon series trying to get Marlo. Getting Chris is a pretty weak consolation prize.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:21 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

Fraud? Seriously?

They did fake murders. I think a few times.

I didn't say it was the worst criminal act on the show. I said it was the worst one by police

It wasnt the worst one by police.

Fake murders sounds like they killed somebody. They took already dead bodies and committed fraud so they could go after a dangerous murderous drug ring.

Fraud in the name of stopping an actual mass murderer. (Chris Partlow)

rogers park bryan wrote:
Uh what?

They already sped up the show at the very end to show what happened to everyone later. They jumped far enough ahead to have Carcetti be Governor. Marlo seemingly is just living life as a normal person who wishes he was back to his original life.[/quote]
I dont think that was any sort of time jump with Carcetti.

I mean, almost every take I've ever read on the last Marlo scene is that it was pretty much saying he's going back to the life and will either be dead or in jail.

I dont think they needed to show it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:22 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:

Unless I'm messing up the timeline, Marlo having that altercation on the street, which means nothing besides he still wanted to feel his old life, happened pretty far in the future after getting released since Carcetti had time to become Governor.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:24 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:

Unless I'm messing up the timeline, Marlo having that altercation on the street, which means nothing besides he still wanted to feel his old life, happened pretty far in the future after getting released since Carcetti had time to become Governor.

Carcetti became governor before his first term as Mayor was up. I think it happened fairly soon after the end of the series. I don't think there was much fast forwarding of the timeline.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:25 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
It wasnt the worst one by police.

Fake murders sounds like they killed somebody. They took already dead bodies and committed fraud so they could go after a dangerous murderous drug ring.

Fraud in the name of stopping an actual mass murderer. (Chris Partlow)

No, real murders would be if they killed somebody. Faking murder is exactly what they did.

rogers park bryan wrote:
I dont think that was any sort of time jump with Carcetti.

I mean, almost every take I've ever read on the last Marlo scene is that it was pretty much saying he's going back to the life and will either be dead or in jail.

I dont think they needed to show it.
There was a big time jump. They had that sun rising and falling sequence. Also, as I pointed out, Carcetti ends up as the Govenor. That would take many months at least. I'm not sure he was even an official candidate when he found out about the stuff that went on, though it was talked about.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:30 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

They did fake murders! That's why the police guy was giving them fresh bodies of the homeless. They planted stuff on the body and even put bite marks on them.

What exactly is your point here? Is there no criticism of anything in season 5? Kidnapping, no big deal! Massive fraud, no big deal!

I clarified my beef with "fake murders" the last post

I mean, the fraud thing is laughable. It's a victimless crime. I've never heard anyone but you even bring up that unimportant aspect of it.

There are certainly valid criticisms of season 5. The Scott character was over the top. They didnt really go far enough into the newspaper business and the subject would have been better 10 years earlier.

rogers park bryan wrote:

They spent the entire post-Avon series trying to get Marlo. Getting Chris is a pretty weak consolation prize.[/quote]
And that's the life. Kinda like how D'Angelo went down instead of Avon.

Oh and btw, they got Marlo. They put him in jail. As frustrating as it was for them to see guys getting out, they did their job.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 402 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 14  Next