It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 402 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Wire
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
I'm currently on S3E10.

Has Rick ever embarrassed himself this badly?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
The entries series of The Wire was about killing its main character. Wire > GoT

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:20 am 

Finished up season 5. Went back and read this thread this morning. Glad to see that RPB understood my Bunk comments.

Season 5 was good, not great. Season 3 and 4 were amazing. Season 1 was really really good/borderline great. Seasons 2 and 5 were good.

Omar was no doubt the best character on the show. My personal favs were Stringer, Bodie, and Prop Joe. Lester was pretty close to the top as well.

Bunk was good, but a tad overrated IMO. Thought Kima was meh.

Overall really enjoyed this series. IMO I dont think it is as good as BB or Justified, but pretty damn close. I would rank my favs as 1a. BB 1b. Justified 2. The Wire

rogers park bryan wrote:
Bunk was overrated

There I said it.

He was still good, but being that he is a lot of people's favorite character, I was underwhelmed

There is really no sense arguing about which is the best of the first four seasons.

The first four were perfect television. The fifth was just a notch below that.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:23 am 

Hank Scorpio wrote:
I'm not even sure what Rick's arguing for at this point but the argument has changed multiple times as he falls further and further down the rabbit hole.

:lol: A great quote from reading thru this thread this morning. It deserves to be in the thread of quotes that sum up this place.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:28 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
Zizou wrote:
Whitey loves to trump this show. Shows whitey has street cred and can appreciate really important television.

sinicalypse wrote:
idk i've got a little background around the outskirts of "the game" and for what it is i reckon the show's pretty solid.

This thread is quite entertaining. I find the positioning of the two quotes above on page 1 of this thread eminently pleasing.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Investigating
Zizou wrote:
I don't get into it on the internet. Who's opinion has ever been changed in the history of internet message boards? Arguments just devolve into poorly reworded wikipedia articles.

Where the hell is Zizou? There have been occasions on this site when beni's opinion was changed. Internet slap fights...not so much.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:54 pm 

♫ Love child, never meant to be...
Love child, born in poverty... ♫

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:44 am 

pizza_Place: Angelo's Pizza in Downers Grove
Carcetti in new season of Peaky Blinders.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:01 am 

Been off work and mostly off work this week so been rewatching a bit.

My feeling that seeason 4 is the series best season is stronger than ever. Just a tour de force in every way. Imo it’s clear the creative team had perfected their craft at this point and kids add an added devastation to everything.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:13 am 

Btw, how fucking great is Norman Wilson as a character?(I swear I never remember this characters name and always think the character’s name is Reg Cathy after the actor. No clue why I always fuck this up in my mind). Just an outstanding performance that is rarely mentioned among the best on this show.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:29 am 

FavreFan wrote:

My feeling that seeason 4 is the series best season is stronger than ever. Just a tour de force in every way. Imo it’s clear the creative team had perfected their craft at this point and kids add an added devastation to everything.

Probably the tightest storyline but 3 had Stringer, Avon, Omar, and Bunny all peaking as characters.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:31 am 

FavreFan wrote:
Btw, how fucking great is Norman Wilson as a character?(I swear I never remember this characters name and always think the character’s name is Reg Cathy after the actor. No clue why I always fuck this up in my mind). Just an outstanding performance that is rarely mentioned among the best on this show.

Yep.

His imitation of Clay and telling Carcetti he'd never vote for a white man were both hilarious scenes.

Royce is also very underrated.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:25 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

Probably the tightest storyline but 3 had Stringer, Avon, Omar, and Bunny all peaking as characters.

I think Omar peaked in season 5 punking Marlo.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:02 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
I just finished Season 3. I didn't think they'd top Season 2, but they totally did.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:34 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
Just finished the series. My order of quality: Season 3, 4, 2, 1, 5.

Overall, I agree with some of the prior statements as to what made this show great. No single character carried the series...so many different great characters were brought in, developed, and phased out. Omar likely the best character and they used him perfectly.

Season 5 really was a stretch. There were some great moments, but it really felt forcing the continuation of the show, which was unfortunate. I absolutely hated the serial killer line and the newspaper add-in....meh. Everything else with the story was cool.

I liked the Marlo character and his rise to power. I like how they showed him having everything Stringer wanted and he had too much Avon to be happy with it. i think a more realistic storyline would have been one of those 3 corner boys shot him in the head.

Dukie....a realistic ending for him, but there was nothing indicting he'd become a junkie. They made him into a likeable softy and seeing him at the end shooting up depressed the hell out of me. A realistic ending....just seemed very sudden.

Omar dying was also sad as hell....but you can't argue with it's reality. He couldn't live forever.

A great series....I think what's frustrating about season 5 is it could have been better.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:36 am 

pizza_Place: It's gone
wdelaney72 wrote:
Just finished the series. My order of quality: Season 3, 4, 2, 1, 5.

Overall, I agree with some of the prior statements as to what made this show great. No single character carried the series...so many different great characters were brought in, developed, and phased out. Omar likely the best character and they used him perfectly.

Season 5 really was a stretch. There were some great moments, but it really felt forcing the continuation of the show, which was unfortunate. I absolutely hated the serial killer line and the newspaper add-in....meh. Everything else with the story was cool.

I liked the Marlo character and his rise to power. I like how they showed him having everything Stringer wanted and he had too much Avon to be happy with it. i think a more realistic storyline would have been one of those 3 corner boys shot him in the head.

Dukie....a realistic ending for him, but there was nothing indicting he'd become a junkie. They made him into a likeable softy and seeing him at the end shooting up depressed the hell out of me. A realistic ending....just seemed very sudden.

Omar dying was also sad as hell....but you can't argue with it's reality. He couldn't live forever.

A great series....I think what's frustrating about season 5 is it could have been better.

Good write up. I liked season 2 too but so many hate it. And I didn't like season 5, i also thought it was a bit of a stretch. But one of my friends who is a school teacher loves it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:44 am 

I dont believe any have said they hated season 2. It was just not quite as good as season 3.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:47 am 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
Many have Season 2 as their favorite season.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
I didn't like the serial killer bits of season 5, but the newspaper parts are very telling and I think some of the most important stories told in The Wire. We see the decline of the media and with it eventually decline of democracy.

David Simon himself said the real message of season 5 is that there is a major story of the city covering up the fact there actually was no serial killer and the paper completely misses it without so much as catching a hint of what is happening. That season aired 10 years ago and I'd say the situation with our media has only gotten worse since then.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Parts Unknown
Just started binging last night. Four episodes in and I am impressed. Can't wait to see where it goes. So many good actors including a very young Michael B Jordan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:06 pm 

ToxicMasculinity wrote:
Just started binging last night. Four episodes in and I am impressed. Can't wait to see where it goes. So many good actors including a very young Michael B Jordan

First four episodes might be the toughest to get through. Only gets better from here.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:14 pm 

ToxicMasculinity wrote:

It's a good program, but when McNulty starts his transition in season 3, it gets a bit weird. Never got used to the name Jasmine for him/her.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:19 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
ToxicMasculinity wrote:

It's a good program

RPB is 30 something going on 70

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:20 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
ToxicMasculinity wrote:

It's a good program

My nana used to use that term about watching Days of Our Lives before the noon news and then Last place Cubs baseball.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:21 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
ToxicMasculinity wrote:

It's a good program, but when McNulty starts his transition in season 3, it gets a bit weird. Never got used to the name Jasmine for him/her.

They were out of ideas when they sent him to clown school.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:29 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
ToxicMasculinity wrote:

It's a good program

My nana used to use that term about watching Days of Our Lives before the noon news and then Last place Cubs baseball.

*looks at watch* Oh its time for my stories

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:30 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
ToxicMasculinity wrote:

Damn. I guess I can lower my expectations for McNulty now. Otherwise I haven't read anything in the thread but I look forward to doing that when I wrap season 5.

Also the guy (forgot his name right now) who makes tiny furniture is cool as the other side of the pillow. He is like some master of detective Kung Fu

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Investigating
ToxicM it's a wild ride. Keep your head down, listen to no one and read nothing on the show. It's great to get into as a true virgin...like that first time you saw Rocky Horror...lol at RPB.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
ToxicMasculinity wrote:

They were out of ideas when they sent him to clown school.

it really came together though when they performed the juggling to send the gangs packing and make Baltimore safe.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:48 am 

beni hanna wrote:
ToxicM it's a wild ride. Keep your head down, listen to no one and read nothing on the show. It's great to get into as a true virgin...like that first time you saw Rocky Horror...lol at RPB.

Just finished Season 1 and on the first episode of 2.

I really enjoyed season 1, but I have a question. Who sold out the task force was trying to go federal? Did the feds do it out of spite after they pulled back from making Stringer and Avon cooperators?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 402 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next