It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 2:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 402 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Wire
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:31 pm 

They didn't get Marlo though. You guys are saying they didn't even get him to stop being a kingpin.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
The biggest crime is this terrible quote tag usage.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:35 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
It wasnt the worst one by police.

Fake murders sounds like they killed somebody. They took already dead bodies and committed fraud so they could go after a dangerous murderous drug ring.

Fraud in the name of stopping an actual mass murderer. (Chris Partlow)

No, real murders would be if they killed somebody. Faking murder is exactly what they did.

I guess that's right. I just think faking murders sounds like they were picking off homeless people and pinning it on someone else.

The more accurate description would be to say they used unsolvable murders and random deaths to advance their agenda.

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
There was a big time jump. They had that sun rising and falling sequence. Also, as I pointed out, Carcetti ends up as the Govenor. That would take many months at least. I'm not sure he was even an official candidate when he found out about the stuff that went on, though it was talked about.

If the time jump was a couple of months, that doesnt matter.

Marlo's ending was perfect for his character. Its completely obvious what his ending will be.

I mean, that's like complaining they didnt time jump to Duquan overdosing or Mike eventually getting killed.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
I don't know why people are so defensive about that season. If you only saw the last season of The Wire you wouldn't think it was anything but average.

So defensive? I think it's just a few folks disagreeing with you. Your last sentence here is irrelevant. If you only watched Season 5 half of it wouldn't make any sense. You could say the same about most serialized shows.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:36 pm 

Marlo's ending was SOLID. He got everything Stringer ever wanted and he couldn't be more miserable.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:37 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
They didn't get Marlo though. You guys are saying they didn't even get him to stop being a kingpin.

Marlo was arrested just like Avon was in season 1. Because of the set up of these gangs and well paid lawyers, the kingpin doesn't do a lot of time the first time he's caught.

The obvious assumption is back to the life will lead to jail or murder.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Exactly. That showed the pointlessness of everything. They did so much work for 5 seasons and at the end of the day, nothing mattered. Valchak ended up Commish! :lol: :lol: :lol:

The only people that were rewarded were the ones that shut up and went along with the status quo.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:39 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
Marlo's ending was SOLID. He got everything Stringer ever wanted and he couldn't be more miserable.

Yep. Too much of Avon in him.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:42 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
I don't know why people are so defensive about that season. If you only saw the last season of The Wire you wouldn't think it was anything but average.

So defensive? I think it's just a few folks disagreeing with you. Your last sentence here is irrelevant. If you only watched Season 5 half of it wouldn't make any sense. You could say the same about most serialized shows.
It's more than disagreement. rpb has literally told me every issue I had with Season 5 is wrong.

Come on. I didn't say that you couldn't have a summary of what got them to that point. Season 5, on it's own, is not very strong.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:44 pm 

Hank Scorpio wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Exactly. That showed the pointlessness of everything. They did so much work for 5 seasons and at the end of the day, nothing mattered. Valchak ended up Commish! :lol: :lol: :lol:

The only people that were rewarded were the ones that shut up and went along with the status quo.
Faking murder, kidnapping, and massive fraud(I know, massive fraud by the police is no big deal) was worth it because nothing mattered and it didn't solve anything. That alternate take doesn't make me like the season either.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:45 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
The case is being made that Marlo didn't ever leave the streets and just went back to his old life though.

Seems like there are a lot of contradictions about this.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:48 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

It's more than disagreement. rpb has literally told me every issue I had with Season 5 is wrong.

Come on. I didn't say that you couldn't have a summary of what got them to that point. Season 5, on it's own, is not very strong.

Most solo seasons of serialized shows don't work on their own. If you read the last 20% of a novel, even with a summary of the first 80%, it would be significantly worse than if you read the entire thing.
I think Season 5 is the weakest of the seasons, but it's still a great season of TV. If the first four are a 98-100 on a 100 point scale season 5 is like a 92.

But RPB isn't getting defensive in this thread. He's just disagreeing with you(sometimes that includes telling the other person they are wrong).

Also, the fake serial killer plot gave us one of the best one liners of the show, paraphrasing: "Just tell me you're not actually the one killing them McNulty."

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:49 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Faking murder, kidnapping, and massive fraud(I know, massive fraud by the police is no big deal) was worth it because nothing mattered and it didn't solve anything. That alternate take doesn't make me like the season either.

That isn't a critique on season 5, its the entire show. As a natural pessimist, the hopelessness of their cause really appealed to me. I'm sure that says something about who I am as a person. :(

I think everyone would agree season 5 was the weakest. Do you want RPB to admit that? I cant imagine he would argue that.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:49 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
The case is being made that Marlo didn't ever leave the streets and just went back to his old life though.

I don't think a "case" needs to be made for that, they literally showed you that happening.

I don't see the contradiction.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:51 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

I don't think a "case" needs to be made for that, they literally showed you that happening.

Yeah, they literally outlined his fall from respectability. He couldn't be in a room with a bunch of old white dudes in suits. He fought two armed kids just for the rush of his old life.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:51 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
Most solo seasons of serialized shows don't work on their own. If you read the last 20% of a novel, even with a summary of the first 80%, it would be significantly worse than if you read the entire thing.
I think Season 5 is the weakest of the seasons, but it's still a great season of TV. If the first four are a 98-100 on a 100 point scale season 5 is like a 92.
Aren't you the same guy that said this season of Game Of Thrones was bad? It seems like you are making a case that you shouldn't judge serialized shows on a per season basis now.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:53 pm 

Hank Scorpio wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

Yeah, they literally outlined his fall from respectability. He couldn't be in a room with a bunch of old white dudes in suits. He fought two armed kids just for the rush of his old life.
The contradiction is that that what McNulty and Lester did was for the greater good as it got Marlo off the streets, but you guys are all seemingly in agreement that Marlo never left the streets.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:54 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Aren't you the same guy that said this season of Game Of Thrones was bad? It seems like you are making a case that you shouldn't judge serialized shows on a per season basis now.

This season of GoT was bad. It was fan service, teleportation bullshit.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:55 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

The contradiction is that that what McNulty and Lester did was for the greater good as it got Marlo off the streets, but you guys are all seemingly in agreement that Marlo never left the streets.

It did. They can't help it that he got out. They did what they needed to do to get the current boss off the streets.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:55 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

You must be misreading what I wrote. You can judge a season by itself, especially against other seasons of the same TV show. It doesn't make sense to tell someone to isolate that season and pretend they didn't watch the others though.

It's good you brought up the GOT comparison. It'll help clarify this discussion. I didn't like the last season of GOT, especially compared to earlier seasons. I thought it was significantly worse. Sounds like you feel similarly about The Wire season 5. No big deal. Nobody is getting defensive. It's just differing opinions.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:56 pm 

Hank Scorpio wrote:
The whole series was pretty great though!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Bianchis
A 92 for the final season? That's always been my issue with The Wire. It was a great show, but it's diehard fans are among the most blind when it comes to the shows' issues. Justified is my favorite show ever, but I admit the 5th season was pretty bad. Fans of The Wire always post their complaints with a caveat.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:58 pm 

Hank Scorpio wrote:
It did. They can't help it that he got out. They did what they needed to do to get the current boss off the streets.
He got out because of what they did. :lol: They could have helped it by not doing multiple stupid massively illegal acts to try and get him.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Bianchis
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:

GoT has sucked since season 5. They stopped caring about writing and characterization and more about tits and CGI.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:01 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:

Agreed.

I would feel weird telling someone just getting into it "It's great but season 7 sucks so lower your expectations significantly when you get to that season." even though it's true.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:02 pm 

SuperMario wrote:
A 92 for the final season? That's always been my issue with The Wire. It was a great show, but it's diehard fans are among the most blind when it comes to the shows' issues. Justified is my favorite show ever, but I admit the 5th season was pretty bad. Fans of The Wire always post their complaints with a caveat.
I think the problem with The Wire is that it's a major negative if a show fails to deliver in it's final season so the criticism of it is taken harsher than simply a poor season in the middle. The last season of a show should be the best given they can tie up storylines without any regard to the future and the whole series should have been building up to the final.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:03 pm 

SuperMario wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:

GoT has sucked since season 5. They stopped caring about writing and characterization and more about tits and CGI.

As much as people shit on GRRM (I'm certainly one of them), the show was at its best when it was following tightly to the book storyline/character development. When D&D started playing to the Buzzfeed crowd, it started going downhill fast.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:03 pm 

SuperMario wrote:

I don't have any complaints with The Wire. I think it's far better than the second best TV show I've ever seen(BB). I know a lot of Wire fans who don't fit your description and feel similarly to Rick though, so I don't think that generalization works.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:05 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:

Agreed.

I would feel weird telling someone just getting into it "It's great but season 7 sucks so lower your expectations significantly when you get to that season." even though it's true.
Without spoilers, I'd rather know to have lower expectations. If you started Season 5 saying that Season 4 was awesome and I can't wait to see what they do next season I don't see how you wouldn't be disappointed. Even you guys who are saying every point I have a problem with in Season 5 is wrong still think the show took a pretty substantial step down for what should be near the best season of any show.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:10 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Even you guys who are saying every point I have a problem with in Season 5 is wrong still think the show took a pretty substantial step down for what should be near the best season of any show.

I've never said it took a substantial step down and don't believe it did. I love Season 5.

I also think your premise of "The best season of a show is usually the last" is flawed. It was true for Breaking Bad, but I'm not sure about others. The Sopranos, Justified, Mad Men, Oz, Boardwalk Empire, Sons of Anarchy, and probably MANY I'm not thinking of all had their best season in the first couple seasons.

To rock my soul

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 402 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 14  Next