It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:02 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 402 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Wire
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:13 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
The killing off of great characters is a relatively new thing, and if done with no plan for the ultimate ending that is a problem.

it's not at all a new thing. it goes back to "M*A*S*H" with Colonel Blake, and Joss Whedon made it a trope of his shows like "Buffy" and "Angel".

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:14 am 

W_Z wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
The killing off of great characters is a relatively new thing, and if done with no plan for the ultimate ending that is a problem.

it's not at all a new thing. it goes back to "M*A*S*H" with Colonel Blake, and Joss Whedon made it a trope of his shows like "Buffy" and "Angel".

Incidentally, I think LOST being bad was Karma for them not following thru with the cool idea of making Micheal Keaton appear to be the star and killing him off in the pilot.

Oz kinda sorta did that in their pilot and it was great.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:28 pm 

W_Z wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

I don't really think that is true. That's what made GoT so different.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
W_Z wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Well, I mean, you can "don't really think" facts are true all you want, but it doesn't change them being facts.

The Wire, Dexter, Lost, 24, and Buffy all had major, unexpected character deaths before Game of Thrones.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:53 pm 

IMU wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
W_Z wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Well, I mean, you can "don't really think" facts are true all you want, but it doesn't change them being facts.

The Wire, Dexter, Lost, 24, and Buffy all had major, unexpected character deaths before Game of Thrones.
I haven't watched Buffy or Dexter or 24 but LOST didn't kill off any main characters. Look at who survived until the very last season. It was virtually the whole major cast from the beginning. The Wire killed off Stringer but even he wasn't the main guy of that gang.

Nothing before it has come close to what GoT did in terms of killing off main characters.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Southfork
IMU wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
W_Z wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Apparently this dumb shit Millennial Boilermaker Rick never heard of me.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:58 pm 

J.R. Ewing wrote:
IMU wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
W_Z wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Apparently this dumb shit Millennial Boilermaker Rick never heard of me.
Um, didn't JR live? :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:06 pm 

pizza_Place: Southfork
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Um, didn't JR live? :lol:

I think they brought me back in a special years later under the premise that I planned my own death as an elaborate ruse to fuck Cliff Barnes. I'm not 100% sure though since I was dead for two years.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:07 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
I haven't watched Buffy or Dexter or 24 but LOST didn't kill off any main characters. Look at who survived until the very last season. It was virtually the whole major cast from the beginning. The Wire killed off Stringer but even he wasn't the main guy of that gang.

Nothing before it has come close to what GoT did in terms of killing off main characters.

John Locke
Charlie Pace
Stringer Bell was more of a main character than Avon Barksdale. Screen time alone wasn't even close.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:19 pm 

IMU wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

John Locke
Charlie Pace
Stringer Bell was more of a main character than Avon Barksdale. Screen time alone wasn't even close.
Lock was in 101 of 121 episodes.
Charlie was arguably not a main character even though he was there from the start.
Stringer was a a pretty big character but it was nothing comparable to what happened multiple times on GoT.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:47 pm 

Main characters dying has always been a thing.

The GoT difference is that they do it over and over (most shows stick with just one shocker) and GRR Martin goes out of his way to shock with the death because he read Lord of the Rings as a kid and couldn't believe they killed off Gandalf (they actually didnt but whatever)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Bianchis
Can't really compare GoT to those shows though, because most of those main characters had died off in the source material that was mostly written in the 90s. So it's not really shocking for them to kill off Ned when it is essential to the story they knew so much more about at the time.

And although the show and first book focused on Ned Stark a lot (He had the most POV chapters in the first book and Sean Bean being the biggest star in the first season), Ned is actually not a main character. From the get-go, the biggest people in GoT have always been Jon, Dany, Arya, Sansa, Bran, and Tyrion. Cersei has been elevated on the show compared to the books. And if you notice, none of those characters is dead.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:51 pm 

IMU wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

John Locke
Charlie Pace

At the time of his death, Stringer was the main character and star of the show.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:52 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:

The GoT difference is that they do it over and over (most shows stick with just one shocker) and GRR Martin goes out of his way to shock with the death because he read Lord of the Rings as a kid and couldn't believe they killed off Gandalf (they actually didnt but whatever)
It really hasn't though. Look at the list IMU had. One of them was on 101 episodes of 121.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:54 pm 

SuperMario wrote:
Can't really compare GoT to those shows though, because most of those main characters had died off in the source material that was mostly written in the 90s. So it's not really shocking for them to kill off Ned when it is essential to the story they knew so much more about at the time.

And although the show and first book focused on Ned Stark a lot (He had the most POV chapters in the first book and Sean Bean being the biggest star in the first season), Ned is actually not a main character. From the get-go, the biggest people in GoT have always been Jon, Dany, Arya, Sansa, Bran, and Tyrion. Cersei has been elevated on the show compared to the books. And if you notice, none of those characters is dead.

As far as the show is concerned, that's only true with the benefit of hindsight and having read all the books.

In season 1, the time of his death, Ned was the number 1 main character on the show.

It would be like saying Shane wasn't a big character on Walking Dead because they've had 5 terrible seasons since his death.

These things have to be judged in the time they occur.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:56 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

It really hasn't though. Look at the list IMU had. One of them was on 101 episodes of 121.

I'll let W_Z handle this but it absolutely has always been a thing.

Hell, the entire Soap Opera industry is based around it.

Pick out the top 25 dramas of the last 30 years and you will find major character deaths in most.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:57 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
IMU wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

John Locke
Charlie Pace

No he wasn't. McNulty was for sure.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:59 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

Pick out the top 25 dramas of the last 30 years and you will find major character deaths in most.

Go ahead and do it.

The soap opera industry? :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
NCIS killed off one of it's stars in the second season.
ER killed off a bunch of major players.
Like someone said M*A*S*H* killed Col. Blake.
24 constantly killed main characters
chas knows about Buffy and Angel killing main guys and girls.
West Wing killed Mrs. Landingham in the second season.
Sopranos whacked Adriana.
LA Law had a main character walk into an empty elevator shaft.
Simpsons killed Maude.
Even Seinfeld killed Susan.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:21 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
IMU wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

John Locke
Charlie Pace

I don't think there was a star. Unless it was Baltimore. It was a true ensemble. There were entire episodes without McNulty.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:26 pm 

The show needed a white guy to appeal to white guys starting to watch the show at the beginning, but it was an ensemble cast. McNulty wasn'ta "lead" in my eyes except for Season 1.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:28 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
IMU wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

John Locke
Charlie Pace

Bell was just as important if not moreso in season 3 and probably had more screentime.

They were the two biggest stars without question. Go watch preview for Season 4 and see how people treated that death.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:29 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

Go ahead and do it.

The soap opera industry? :lol:

We're talking about TV shows right?

Are we only talking about certain tv?

You're still wrong.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:36 pm 

Terry's Peeps wrote:
Simpsons killed Maude.

NYPD Blue
Sons of Anarchy
The Walking Dead
Boardwalk Empire
The Wire
Dexter
Breaking Bad
Night Court
Grey's Anatomy
Hill Street Blues

Might be easier to list the shows that DONT kill off a major character.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:38 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
IMU wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

John Locke
Charlie Pace
Lock was in 101 of 121 episodes.
Charlie was arguably not a main character even though he was there from the start.
Stringer was a a pretty big character but it was nothing comparable to what happened multiple times on GoT.

Wait, so now you're only talking early in the show deaths?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:19 pm 

i'd just make this point: if you're arguing "great" characters, like BRick initially said, that's too subjective. footnote: BRick hates reading, so GoT only exists to him 2011 to present.

if you're arguing "major" or "central" characters, it isn't a new thing. that can't be argued...rationally.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:33 pm 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
rogers park bryan wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:
Simpsons killed Maude.

NYPD Blue
Sons of Anarchy
The Walking Dead
Boardwalk Empire
The Wire
Dexter
Breaking Bad
Night Court
Grey's Anatomy
Hill Street Blues

Might be easier to list the shows that DONT kill off a major character.

You gotta add character names ..

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:35 pm 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
Dexter went to shit after Dokes was killed.

I agree with Rick.. Ned getting killed was shocking, seems very rare for a major character to get clipped so early.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Angelo's Pizza in Downers Grove
Law & Order killed off a detective in Season 2 and an ADA in the later seasons.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:47 pm 

312player wrote:
Dexter went to shit after Dokes was killed.

I agree with Rick.. Ned getting killed was shocking, seems very rare for a major character to get clipped so early.

He didn't say early. It was a response to my saying final.seasons often suffer because great characters have been killed off.

So were talking anything before the last season,

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 402 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 14  Next