It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 402 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Wire
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:45 pm 

pizza_Place: Investigating
ToxicMasculinity wrote:
beni hanna wrote:
ToxicM it's a wild ride. Keep your head down, listen to no one and read nothing on the show. It's great to get into as a true virgin...like that first time you saw Rocky Horror...lol at RPB.

Just finished Season 1 and on the first episode of 2.

I really enjoyed season 1, but I have a question. Who sold out the task force was trying to go federal? Did the feds do it out of spite after they pulled back from making Stringer and Avon cooperators?

Damn, it's been a few years and you are going to force me to watch it again. Two things I remember was the FBI backed off the case due to a change in priorities. Set the scene to mirror what happened before World Trade Center bombing when FBI was 'war on drugs' then after the bombing...'war on terror'. Money and priorities just shifted. Case dies as FBI no longer cares about drugs. Taking down Franklin towers was done to symbolize the change. I cannot remember a person selling out the task force was attempting to go Federal. There was a beef between the local cops and the FBI head in the area. I seem to remember the head FBI telling the mayor or someone and word/heat trickling down to the team. OR it may have been McNutty lipping off when he shouldn't have.

If you can get your hands on the shows narrated by David Simon it is a good listen. As a reporter in that area first he had lots knowledge/sources of much of what he put on screen.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:57 pm 

ToxicMasculinity wrote:
beni hanna wrote:
ToxicM it's a wild ride. Keep your head down, listen to no one and read nothing on the show. It's great to get into as a true virgin...like that first time you saw Rocky Horror...lol at RPB.

Just finished Season 1 and on the first episode of 2.

I really enjoyed season 1, but I have a question. Who sold out the task force was trying to go federal? Did the feds do it out of spite after they pulled back from making Stringer and Avon cooperators?

This question, I believe, will be answered down the line. There will be a few things like this, it all ties together by the end.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
IIRC it was either McNulty's go-to in the FBI that couldn't help him but showed him the new types of cameras and shit they worked with...or its the same guy later on in the series when he lets ****************** know so they can *******************

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:08 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
This will ruin Parkins' vacation if he hears about it:
https://www.wonderwall.com/news/hbos-wi ... 61.article

Quote:
Wood Harris, who's best known for his role as crime boss Avon Barksdale on the classic HBO series "The Wire," will not face any criminal charges after allegedly physically attacking his girlfriend, according to TMZ. She is now reportedly threatening further legal action against the TV star.

The incident is alleged to have occurred back in Philadelphia in April, when Harris's girlfriend of two years, Anya Richardson, claims he went into a violent rage which put her in the hospital.

In a police report obtained by TMZ, Richardson alleges that Harris hit her multiple times in the stomach, neck and ribs. She also claims that he spit in her face and choked her.

TMZ spoke to Richardson, who tells them that Harris asked her to come to Philadelphia while he was filming "Creed II." She says they were in his hotel room when the unprovoked attack went down.

Richardson goes on to say that she went to the hospital the next day and reported what happened to the police the following day. TMZ spoke to a rep in the Philadelphia D.A.'s office who tells them that they were unable to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that a crime had indeed been committed -- they declined to prosecute.

Richardson's lawyer, Alberto Ebanks, also tells TMZ that his client "feels there is little choice but to pursue alternative remedies to help protect other women from the threat of assault."

A representative for Harris explained to TMZ, "The account by this woman is pure fabrication. Wood was never questioned by the authorities and that should speak to the authenticity of the accusation. No further comment."

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:36 am 

1. We aint gotta dream no more
2. Bodie pay lawyer scene with McNulty
3. We used to build shit in this country
4. Clay Davis on the stand

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:48 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
1. Omar testifying against Bird
2. Bodie's "I feel old" talk with McNulty on the park bench
3. Landsman eulogizing McNulty at Kavanaugh's
4. Bubs running up the stairs of his sister's house with a grin on his face

4th isn't really a scene, just a 2 second clip of a montage, but would have to make my cut. Those are off the top of my head, could be a pretty different list if I gave it more than 30 seconds of thought.

Edit: Bunk and Omar's talk on the park bench would need to make the cut. I don't know which one of the four to leave off though. Can a Mt. Rushmore have like 15 heads?

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:50 am 

I need to rewatch this soon

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:38 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
String bitching out that kid for taking notes on a criminal conspiracy.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:52 pm 

I made my list without a ton of thought and Omar didnt appear. Now Im wondering how important he was to the show.

Was Omar, great as he was, overrated as a WIRE contributor?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:54 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
I made my list without a ton of thought and Omar didnt appear. Now Im wondering how important he was to the show.

I think there's a strong faction of Wire fans who hold that opinion. I'm obviously not one of them.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Quonset
So I should start watching this?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:57 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

I think there's a strong faction of Wire fans who hold that opinion. I'm obviously not one of them.

Upon further reflection....

Lester didnt appear either. Marlo, too.

It just goes to show how great the cast and show was that great characters like that dont appear in a top 4.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:03 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

Upon further reflection....

Lester didnt appear either. Marlo, too.

It just goes to show how great the cast and show was that great characters like that dont appear in a top 4.

Top 4 is pretty exclusive territory for a show as scene and character rich as The Wire.

My is my name! would be an easy top 10 selection for me, and I wouldn't have any issue with someone putting it in their top 3.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:07 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
Omar is a great character because he exists within the world of the drug war, but he's also outside of it. He gestures to the idea that another world is possible outside the social collapse of rotten inner-city Baltimore (Hamsterdam fleshes this notion out in a more clumsy and obvious way.). Despite its realism, though, the show is compelled to look for utopian, hopeful, or alternative perspectives outside its seemingly inescapable dystopia.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:14 pm 

Tall Midget wrote:
Despite its realism, though, the show is compelled to look for utopian, hopeful, or alternative perspectives outside its seemingly inescapable dystopia.

I always heard this was intentional to not make the show come off as overly bleak and hopeless.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:15 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
One could argue Lester carving out one of his collectible pieces could go on the Mt. Rushmore. Agreed...it's near impossible to pick 4.

One of the "Real Poh-leece" conversations would have to be on mine.

Daniels might have been favorite character...any scene of him chewing out McNulty would work.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:18 pm 
1000 CLUB

FavreFan wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
Despite its realism, though, the show is compelled to look for utopian, hopeful, or alternative perspectives outside its seemingly inescapable dystopia.

I always heard this was intentional to not make the show come off as overly bleak and hopeless.

I think one of the main points of the show is that there is something outside the system, even if its characters can only catch glimpses of it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:19 pm 

Michael drops off Bug in the suburbs
Michael drops off Duke in the alley
The opening scene after Kima is shot with Rawls and McNulty
The chess scene
Where's Wallace

BTW, not killing off Kima will always bother me. I get that she was popular, but it just made more sense for her to be killed there.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
FavreFan wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:

Simon once suggested not having Clay Davis celebrating with Carcetti on stage in the closing montage is one of the ways he thought he had made the show unrealistically hopeful :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:25 pm 
1000 CLUB

McNulty walking into Stringer Bell's condo and, with a baffled expression on his face, wondering "Who was I chasing?"

It's a great scene that obliquely reflects on the way the drug war has wasted the immense talents of some of its key players.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:09 pm 

Season 1, where Bunk and McNulty go to the apartment where Avon's gf was shot.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:17 pm 

pizza_Place: J.B. Alberto's
1. The scene where Brother Mouzone's lackey is looking for Omar in a gay bar and you catch a glimpse of Rawls hitting on some guy in the background. It legitimately had me cracking up, and is an all time character moment.

2. "Its just me, you, and, what did you say your name was?"
"Man, I ain't say shit..."
"It's just me, you, and Mr. Shit here."

3. "The king stay the king" monologue.

4. The scene where Bunk and Freamon interview the foreign sailors: "Negro, you can not travel half way around the world and not speak any motherfuckin' English!"

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:38 pm 

pizza_Place: J.B. Alberto's
Tall Midget wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:

I think one of the main points of the show is that there is something outside the system, even if its characters can only catch glimpses of it.

One man's utopia is another's dystopia. In order for the few to experience a utopia where they have wealth and power, the many must survive in a hellscape where they have neither. Bubs is shocked by the suburban standard of living, and Stringer's ultimate goal is to break into the "game beyond the game." Conversely, Marlow sees the streets as a utopia where his ruthlessness is rewarded. This is why when he's forced to go legit he can't stand his surroundings and immediately leaves the haughty party that he's at to go beef over the first drug corner he sees.

One of the overarching themes of the show is that many of the social problems that we face result from a status quo that perpetuates naked self interest. Those who are gratified by dominating will succeed at the expense of everybody else. Obviously this is a critique of capitalism.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:14 pm 

These are all excellent picks,and I was just reminded of the scene were they hooked a numbskull to a Xerox machine/lie detector.

Not top 4, but hilarious.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:09 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
Just discovered this edit of the Rawls/Steintorf scene thanks to this thread :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:59 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
ZephMarshack wrote:
Just discovered this edit of the Rawls/Steintorf scene thanks to this thread :lol:

And thanks to this video I just realized that Carcetti is Littlefinger. I hadn't watched The Wire in a long time. I also saw a preview for a show called Project: Blue Book where he plays Dr. J. Allen Hynek. Hynek studied UFOs and was kind of controversial when I was a kid. He worked at Northwestern and I went to school with his son, Ross.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:32 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:

And thanks to this video I just realized that Carcetti is Littlefinger. I hadn't watched The Wire in a long time. I also saw a preview for a show called Project: Blue Book where he plays Dr. J. Allen Hynek. Hynek studied UFOs and was kind of controversial when I was a kid. He worked at Northwestern and I went to school with his son, Ross.

Wait until you realize Tywin Lannister is played by Wee-Bey Brice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:36 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
rogers park bryan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:

Wait until you realize Tywin Lannister is played by Wee-Bey Brice

:lol:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:29 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
This definitely lived up to the hype. Kind of bummed I'm finished with it.

Next might be Breaking Bad.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:30 pm 

Peoria Matt wrote:
This definitely lived up to the hype. Kind of bummed I'm finished with it.

Next might be Breaking Bad.

Might? Might?

If you have not watched Breaking Bad then get to it immediately.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 402 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next