It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:59 am 

bigfan wrote:
Patent Troll issue was good, but I dont really care that Samsung feels threatened by a trolling company. They charge lots of money for products to defend these patents and sniff out trolls that try and extort them. The small companies that do fall to this scam, should go to the state for help, but is the Patent trolling really an urgent issue. Not that the bit was bad, but not on the level of which this show has been lately.

i agree that companies are not to blame for the patent system and all its bullshit.

politicians and lawyers are to blame for creating the system that exists.

i thought the fashion episode was great. the more exposure we can get on this subject the better. there is no reason all clothing companies shouldn't model these guys - http://www.ae.com/web/index.jsp

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:57 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
T-Bone wrote:
Another just average episode last weekend talking about low cost clothing distributors. The best part was probably him going scorched earth on
Dr. Oz prior to the main story.

Yeah, I thought this was a good one between the fashion and Dr. Oz. I also like anything involving New Zealand.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:01 am 

Went in hard against publicly funded stadiums tonight. Outstanding work.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:22 am 

Didn't watch yesterday but he has been off the rails liberal lately...and I'd hardly be considered conservative

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:49 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
conns7901 wrote:
Went in hard against publicly funded stadiums tonight. Outstanding work.

Surprised Curious Hair didnt write last nights episode. It is a crazy things about the Stadiums and cities building them...considering almost all of them have almost NO neighboring businesses.

Oliver stated that a study showed NO positive financial impact from thoese stadiums...and I agree that it is probably mostly true.

"IF" the city worked the Bulls?hawks and built a tram system from downtown to the UC, stoppinig in the West Loop (This was on the board)....every bar close to that line benefits.

Bars boomed when the Hawks are in CUP mode. The bars around Wrigley are basically part of the experience. All the businesses around the cell...well...?

IF there was anything close to Soldier Field, it does well...that Irish bar in the Hilton and the buffett there on Gamedays is packed at 10 AM.

So, I dont totally agree with Olivers point of view that NOTHING benefits from these deals, but the businesses need to be part of the plan...and not just a hopeful byproduct of these improvements.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:44 am 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
I don't like his delivery, he's all amped up all the time..the content is good but he needs to relax .

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:12 am 

good dolphin wrote:
Didn't watch yesterday but he has been off the rails liberal lately...and I'd hardly be considered conservative

example?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:41 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

example?

his take on transgendered rights and his take on posting pictures on the internet

He starts with something I would generally agree on and spindles it out into crazy territory. I think part of the problem is that he devotes a good portion of his show to his main topic of the day and then has to fill that topic with content.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:29 am 

good dolphin wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

example?

his take on transgendered rights and his take on posting pictures on the internet

He starts with something I would generally agree on and spindles it out into crazy territory. I think part of the problem is that he devotes a good portion of his show to his main topic of the day and then has to fill that topic with content.

I didnt see the transgendered one but read about it. What was out of line?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:58 am 

Meh. I'm tired of the constant outrage media machine. Disguising it as humor doesn't change that for me.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:16 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

example?

I didnt see the transgendered one but read about it. What was out of line?

I'd have to rewatch it. I cared for about five minutes watching it with my oldest and then I didn't care.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:26 am 

Went after Mandatory Minimum sentences tonight.

Mandatory Minimums and Zero Tolerance laws typically end up hurting a lot of people they are not intended for.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:20 pm 

Lit up the Televangelist tonight :cheers:

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:41 pm 

Guardedly optimistic about the season premiere tonight. By the end of last year, it was starting to feel formulaic, not unlike Family Guy.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
Curious Hair wrote:
Guardedly optimistic about the season premiere tonight. By the end of last year, it was starting to feel formulaic, not unlike Family Guy.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:32 pm 

That was actually very good!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:48 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Curious Hair wrote:
That was actually very good!

:lol: It usually is!

I haven't seen this episode yet, but John Oliver is fantastic.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:10 am 

When I was in 7th grade we got to go on the floor of the state senate and press the voting buttons for our elected officials. They told us to hit the green on everything.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:46 pm 

Went after special districts tonight. This is relevant to us, considering Illinois has more units of local government than any state. That's dubiously impressive if you've ever looked at a map of counties in Georgia. I mean, is it a map, or did someone drop a Georgia-shaped plate?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:54 am 

I find the show pretty much unwatchable. Every joke he tells is the same exact formula....again and again and again and again....then on to the next show for the same formula.

Also, the show is on the fringe end of crazy liberal.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:06 am 

good dolphin wrote:
I find the show pretty much unwatchable. Every joke he tells is the same exact formula....again and again and again and again....then on to the next show for the same formula.

It does get formulaic, as I worried about before this season started.

The other problem I have, which isn't with the show in and of itself so much as the whole...internet-industrial complex, I guess, is the "John Oliver EVISCERATES/DESTROYS/ANNIHILATES" whatever the topic is. Take the Donald Trump thing from last week. We were all told to share it and get out the word that Donald Trump is a boorish, small-handed dolt whose surname should be Drumpf. Did that eviscerate or annihilate him? No, he went on TV, said he had a big dick, and won two more primaries. It's a funny show, and people have reacted to it in funny ways, but we need to realize it's comedy first and not world-changing stuff.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:43 pm 

good dolphin wrote:

I watched the Trump episode, or at least part of it.

He could you use a time clock on his bits. Even with the content being pretty good I was bored by the end of his diatribe and we switched to Wheel Of Fortune.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

I watched the Trump episode, or at least part of it.

He could you use a time clock on his bits. Even with the content being pretty good I was bored by the end of his diatribe and we switched to Wheel Of Fortune.

Did you then have a nice cup of Sanka?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:50 pm 

I miss Sinicalypse

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:39 am 

good dolphin wrote:
I miss Sinicalypse

Stop it. If that name's typed two more times, he'll show up.

The landowner effectively owns part shares in millions of part-time slaves called, "taxpayers." -Roy L
A Personal Relationship with Jesus?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:14 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
I disagree with Oliver's politics many times but his show is fucking great. The guy is hilarious and/or has great writers. I agree it's formulaic but I don't have a problem with it when it's this funny. The bit with the two guys in the room following procedure had me dying. I also think he does good work with stuff like special districts and other topics that are important but don't get discussed often.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
i don't give 2 shits about soccer but his FIFA updates crack me up, i love it when he exposes the corruption in that organization. i think his show is excellent.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Lugi's of Hong Kong
I don't find many Europeans funny or freshly bathed.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:00 am 

:lol:

Men dress as Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles at Yankee Stadium

NEW YORK -- HBO's John Oliver designed a contest looking for "riffraff" to sit among the "rich" New York Yankees fans who occupy the expensive Legends seats. What the comedian got on Opening Day Tuesday were Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles -- or, at least, two fans dressed up like them.

The two turtles sat directly behind home plate in clear view on the national broadcast on ESPN and the local one on YES. The turtles -- identified as John Welch and Joe Spilo of Yorktown, according to Newsday -- won a contest from Oliver's "Last Week Tonight" in which fans were asked to use the Twitter hashtag #IHaveNeverSatInAPremiumLocation. In the contest, fans tweeted pictures of the "riffraff" attire they would wear in the premium seats.

Two fans will receive tickets for 25 cents for each of the first three games.

The protest prank was in response to the Yankees' recent squabble with StubHub.

During Tuesday's game, Yankees public relations and security denied media access to the Legends seats, so the turtles could not be asked questions. Newsday spoke to the two outside of the stadium before they entered.

Oliver's Sunday rant was mostly centered around Yankees COO Lonn Trost's comments on WFAN six weeks ago in which Trost said that premium seat holders do not like to sit next to people who "have never sat in a premium location." These seats have been listed for as much $1,595, which is one reason the Yankees did not want to make StubHub fully available to customers, Trost implied.

Trost made his comments after the Yankees were criticized for not allowing people to print out secondary market tickets bought on StubHub. The Yankees claim they did it to prevent fraud, while many of its fans found it a convenient way to buy cheaper last-minute tickets.

"Everyone is welcome at Yankee Stadium," Yankees president Randy Levine told ESPN's Wallace Matthews on Monday. "And I thank John Oliver for buying Yankees tickets."

Oliver's words during his show Sunday night were not as gracious, with the theme that the Yankees "will continue to find ways to look like the biggest elitist a--h---- in all of sports."

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:30 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
MattInTheCrown wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
I miss Sinicalypse

Stop it. If that name's typed two more times, he'll show up.

He is welcome back, although he shouldnt come back and requesting him back probably is a really bad thing for him.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next