It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Love me some John Oliver, but this is a pretty good article explaining how overstated his impact really is among the left leaning internet crowd.

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainmen ... dy/475485/

Quote:
You wouldn’t know it by looking at him, but John Oliver, the host of HBO’s Last Week Tonight, is a violent man. In the last year, he’s destroyed a “lying, hypocritical GOP idiot.” He’s eviscerated Congress over the issue of America’s infrastructure. Apparently desiring more viscera—this time from ideas rather than people—he went on to eviscerate voter-ID laws. If you take these headlines—and the articles they advertise—at face value, Oliver’s brand of late-night satire is a force to be reckoned with, and a potent political weapon.

Yet, Oliver’s victims remain surprisingly whole. The aforementioned “lying, hypocritical GOP idiot” is now the governor of Kentucky. Congress—approval ratings notwithstanding—continues to function with the same set of people Oliver reportedly eviscerated a few months ago. And, as many people participating in the current Presidential primaries can tell you, voter-ID laws haven’t gone away. Which probably explains why Donald Trump (despite being destroyed, taken down, demolished, systematically picked apart, annihilated, and...murderslayed?) remains the GOP’s presidential frontrunner. Simply put, the bombastic headlines used to describe Oliver’s late-night antics overstate the real-life impact such takedowns can have. At best, such headlines are exaggerations, but at worst, they perpetuate the myth that late-night comedy is an effective tool for broad political change.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:39 pm 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
FavreFan wrote:
Love me some John Oliver, but this is a pretty good article explaining how overstated his impact really is among the left leaning internet crowd.

Quote:
You wouldn’t know it by looking at him, but John Oliver, the host of HBO’s Last Week Tonight, is a violent man. In the last year, he’s destroyed a “lying, hypocritical GOP idiot.” He’s eviscerated Congress over the issue of America’s infrastructure. Apparently desiring more viscera—this time from ideas rather than people—he went on to eviscerate voter-ID laws. If you take these headlines—and the articles they advertise—at face value, Oliver’s brand of late-night satire is a force to be reckoned with, and a potent political weapon.

Yet, Oliver’s victims remain surprisingly whole. The aforementioned “lying, hypocritical GOP idiot” is now the governor of Kentucky. Congress—approval ratings notwithstanding—continues to function with the same set of people Oliver reportedly eviscerated a few months ago. And, as many people participating in the current Presidential primaries can tell you, voter-ID laws haven’t gone away. Which probably explains why Donald Trump (despite being destroyed, taken down, demolished, systematically picked apart, annihilated, and...murderslayed?) remains the GOP’s presidential frontrunner. Simply put, the bombastic headlines used to describe Oliver’s late-night antics overstate the real-life impact such takedowns can have. At best, such headlines are exaggerations, but at worst, they perpetuate the myth that late-night comedy is an effective tool for broad political change.

Something seems off about the premise - just who exactly thinks these hosts have any measurable impact on policy or politics in general?

Quote:
To be clear, this isn’t an indictment of any late-night host—as Stewart noted, they already recognize their limits, no matter how funny, investigative, or correct their segments may be. Nor is it an indictment of those who share funny video clips with friends—that’s part of what the Internet is for. That said, given that these segments don’t change policy outcomes and that interest in these bits is pretty ephemeral, it’s time to stop pretending these progressive late-night shows have more calculable political power than they do.

So if the hosts recognize their limits, and if fans are sharing videos for laughs, then where do the "change policy outcomes" and "political power" beliefs come from? Seems like a massive straw man.

EDIT: Unless you're really targeting headlines that say something like "OLIVER SLAUGHTERS XYZ POLICY SUPPORTERS IN UNBELIEVABLE LAST WEEK TONIGHT SEGMENT," in which case you probably had a deadline to meet and couldn't think of something more serious to write about.

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:43 pm 

veganfan21 wrote:
just who exactly thinks these hosts have any measurable impact on policy or politics in general?

The literally thousands of writers/bloggers writing headlines like 'JOHN OLIVER DESTROYS DONALD DRUMPF". The whole point of the article is asking what, specifically, is that destruction defined as?

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:52 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
just who exactly thinks these hosts have any measurable impact on policy or politics in general?

The literally thousands of writers/bloggers writing headlines like 'JOHN OLIVER DESTROYS DONALD DRUMPF". The whole point of the article is asking what, specifically, is that destruction defined as?

Well I think asking that question would be fair, but I don't see that question being asked. I see the article assuming that such headlines imply that these segments or stories have "destroyed" in some measurable way the subjects of the reports. To me, however, the headlines basically mean Trump or whoever just got burned. I'm not really sure who watches Oliver's takedowns of Trump, FIFA, etc., and then actually thinks that these guys are done forever. I'd like to believe that's the case from time to time, especially with FIFA and the like, but I have to think that most people see this for what it is - outstanding comedy that sometimes fosters discussions on worthwhile topics.

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:54 pm 

For what it's worth, I'm a fan of Oliver but thought the Trump segment was lame. He should have stuck to covering more under reported stories - Trump is overdone and probably bulletproof.

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:55 pm 

veganfan21 wrote:
I have to think that most people see this for what it is - outstanding comedy that sometimes fosters discussions on worthwhile topics.

I have to think you don't realize how stupid people collectively are.

But for real, the whole article was asking and answering that question. Not sure how you didn't see that.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:34 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
veganfan21 wrote:
For what it's worth, I'm a fan of Oliver but thought the Trump segment was lame. He should have stuck to covering more under reported stories - Trump is overdone and probably bulletproof.

He did it because Trump went after Jon Stewart. Took it personally, I suspect. The whole segment never felt like other ones.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:46 pm 

Bought 15 Million of medical debt covering 9,000 people for 60k last night and forgave the debts.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:50 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
conns7901 wrote:
Bought 15 Million of medical debt covering 9,000 people for 60k last night and forgave the debts.

That's a pretty good deal. You imagine that you should be able to make a few dollars off of that.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
The debt thing was the thing being talked about by everyone today but I think the real gem of last night's show was the montage of Wolf Blitzer "obviously" quotes...

...we have a gas mask...obviously.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:15 pm 

I think this comes back from hiatus on Sunday, but the first half of every show now is just like

John Oliver: "And now, Belarus, where the national anthem, national bird, and national flower are cancer."

File footage of random second-world bureaucrat: "I like when my wife cooks dinner"

John Oliver: "HOLY SHIT! HOLY SHIT! WHAT THE FUCK? YOU MAKE YOUR WIFE COOK BECAUSE SHE'S A WOMAN? MAYBE YOU NEED THE NOURISHMENT TO SPEND YOUR DAY SELLING YOUR CONCUBINES INTO FUCKING SLAVERY, HOLY SHIT, HOLY SHIT"

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:42 am 

Curious Hair wrote:
I think this comes back from hiatus on Sunday, but the first half of every show now is just like

John Oliver: "And now, Belarus, where the national anthem, national bird, and national flower are cancer."

File footage of random second-world bureaucrat: "I like when my wife cooks dinner"

John Oliver: "HOLY SHIT! HOLY SHIT! WHAT THE FUCK? YOU MAKE YOUR WIFE COOK BECAUSE SHE'S A WOMAN? MAYBE YOU NEED THE NOURISHMENT TO SPEND YOUR DAY SELLING YOUR CONCUBINES INTO FUCKING SLAVERY, HOLY SHIT, HOLY SHIT"

I've said all along that his humor is completely formulaic. Watch one show and you've watched them all.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:44 am 

Curious Hair wrote:

:lol:

...and it goes on for 8 minutes straight.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:07 am 

pizza_Place: Papa Johns
good dolphin wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

I've said all along that his humor is completely formulaic. Watch one show and you've watched them all.

Yeah, Ive had my fill of the "Exasperated" smarmy news yelling. I gave Samantha B (however you spell it) a shit and it was more of the same except with a woman being exasperated...women also aren't very funny so double dog doo.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:15 am 

Samantha Bee is terrible.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:16 am 

Curious Hair wrote:
Misogyny!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:17 am 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
veganfan21 wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

Quote:

Something seems off about the premise - just who exactly thinks these hosts have any measurable impact on policy or politics in general?

Quote:
To be clear, this isn’t an indictment of any late-night host—as Stewart noted, they already recognize their limits, no matter how funny, investigative, or correct their segments may be. Nor is it an indictment of those who share funny video clips with friends—that’s part of what the Internet is for. That said, given that these segments don’t change policy outcomes and that interest in these bits is pretty ephemeral, it’s time to stop pretending these progressive late-night shows have more calculable political power than they do.

So if the hosts recognize their limits, and if fans are sharing videos for laughs, then where do the "change policy outcomes" and "political power" beliefs come from? Seems like a massive straw man.

EDIT: Unless you're really targeting headlines that say something like "OLIVER SLAUGHTERS XYZ POLICY SUPPORTERS IN UNBELIEVABLE LAST WEEK TONIGHT SEGMENT," in which case you probably had a deadline to meet and couldn't think of something more serious to write about.

I cant say I know off the top of my head, but I swear Jon Stewart said after one of his shows that he was flown to the White House. Not saying he has a direct impact, but they do not go unnoticed.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:07 am 

Curious Hair wrote:

She was great as a correspondent on The Daily Show, but she is absolutely horrible as the host on her new show on TBS. I don't see it lasting.

Speaking of Daily Show correspondents, the current crop is terrible. They did a big send-off a couple weeks ago for Jessica Williams, and they acted like some legend was leaving the show. She was there for like 3 years, and was not funny. Good riddance.

Last edited by Douchebag on Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:18 am 

Douchebag wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

She was great as a correspondent on The Daily Show, but she is absolutely horrible as the host on her new show on TBS. I don't see it lasting.

Yes, great correspondent, yes, horrible show of her own, no, it'll last fucking forever. Just another boring, rich, lukewarm identity-politics liberal. Wah wah, Berniebros!

It's mildly intriguing that Jon Stewart himself is extremely cynical toward Hillary Clinton and spoke warmly of Bernie Sanders while his lieutenants (Oliver, Bee, Noah) are all firmly pro-Hillary.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:23 am 

Curious Hair wrote:
It's mildly intriguing that Jon Stewart himself is extremely cynical toward Hillary Clinton and spoke warmly of Bernie Sanders while his lieutenants (Oliver, Bee, Noah) are all firmly pro-Hillary.

Stewart has always been strong and extremely knowledgeable on financial issues, especially the crash in 2008. The rest of these guys probably have very little understanding of it. Oliver has a great army of writers and researchers that craft his usual 15-20 minute pieces on his show, so he's ok, but Noah just got to this country like a year ago, and barely understands the American political system. He's a terrible interviewer, and is incapable of challenging anyone. Samantha Bee can just go away.

Last edited by Douchebag on Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:28 am 

There's really no point to Trevor Noah dragging the corpse of the Daily Show along while Stephen Colbert (Daily Show Lite), John Oliver (Daily Show Fuck-Saying), Larry Wilmore (Daily Show Black), and Samantha Bee (Daily Show Broad City) all have spinoffs.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:32 am 
100000 CLUB

Douchebag wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

Speaking of Daily Show correspondents, the current crop is terrible. They did a big send-off a couple weeks ago for Jessica Williams, and they acted like some legend was leaving the show. She was there for like 3 years, and was not funny. Good riddance.

You still watch the Daily Show?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:33 am 

Nas wrote:
Douchebag wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

Not regularly, but I'll flip to it from time to time. I gave Noah a try when he first came on, but he's just bad.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:34 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
Douchebag wrote:
Stewart has always been strong and extremely knowledgeable on financial issues, especially the crash in 2008. The rest of these guys probably have very little understanding of it.

I almost heard you cough "Jewish" as I was reading this.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:36 am 
100000 CLUB

Douchebag wrote:
Nas wrote:
Douchebag wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

Not regularly, but I'll flip to it from time to time. I gave Noah a try when he first came on, but he's just bad.

I may have watched parts of 2 shows and I was done. I really wish Stewart and Colbert would have stayed on until after this election.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:36 am 

leashyourkids wrote:
Douchebag wrote:
Stewart has always been strong and extremely knowledgeable on financial issues, especially the crash in 2008. The rest of these guys probably have very little understanding of it.

READS JUST FINE

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:00 pm 

pizza_Place: pizza and subs
Curious Hair wrote:

you forgot to shout "IN THIS CURRENT YEAR!! IN THIS CURRENT YEAR!!"

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:07 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
leashyourkids wrote:
Douchebag wrote:

:lol: :lol:
I don't like John Oliver and I don't give a fuck about his show, but I clicked this thread because I had read everything else I was interested in and whaddaya know? I was rewarded. Way to go, leash!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:09 pm 

The shitting on John Oliver needs to be toned down a bit. His delivery is perfect, and the show is great. The CFMB vultures are out in full force.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
I don't have much of a problem with the show (though I think it got a lot less interesting with election season) but I don't really care for what it seems to represent for a lot of its audience, especially self-satisfied media people. It's like every pundit who rushes to Tweet how great that Oliver segment was on infrastructure or how he EVISCERATED Trump doesn't seem to realize that a)nothing was actually accomplished and b)the need for these segments is because said media types are complete failures.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next