It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 2:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Under the Radar Movies
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:25 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
I just wanted to get some feedback on movies that most may not have seen but are highly recommended. Here's mine, some of you may have seen it but, if you haven't, give it a shot. Before there were a few "good men" there was...

THE CAINE MUTINY
A great character study starring Bogart, a pre-"My Three Sons" Fred MacMurray, and Jose Ferrer who steals the movie at the end. Bogart tries to get them with "geometric logic" but Ferrer kills in his role.

It's on cable from time to time and I never switch it off when I find it. Little known facts, Jose Ferrer - George Clooney's uncle and his kid is on Crossing Jordan and looks just like him.

Last edited by Dr. Kenneth Noisewater on Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:29 pm 

SUICIDE KINGS

Christopher Walken plays a mob boss kidnapped by a bunch of Trust Fund, early 20s guys. They need the ransom so they can save one of the guys' girlfriends. Walken is fantastic...right before he became a caricature of himself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:53 pm 
1000 CLUB

Quote:
SUICIDE KINGS

Seconded. I'll add a strange one called Freeway starring Keifer Sutherland and Reese Witherspoon from the mid 90's. Good strange movie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:58 pm 

From more recent times, all three of these are hilarious!

In the company of Men: This movie is easily in the top 5 of "being wrong", Aaron Eckert (Brett Favre look alike in the movie) is awesome. Him and his boss on a 6 week work road work assignment try and see who can bag a deaf lady at the office first

Outside Providence Funny flick about a stoner high school kid sent to Boarding School his senior year. Alec Baldwin plays the dad

Body Shots Swingers wannabe about a bunch of mid 20s getting blasted on the LA scene. Ron Livingston plays one of the more obnoxious charachters, some classic lines from this one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:05 pm 
1000 CLUB

Big fan of Outside Providence, good call Doc (or shall I call you Dildo?)

I'm not sure anymore what is considered under the radar - my friends and I share these all the time, and discuss it, so I forget what is and isn't on the radar.

Some lesser known movies I would recommend would be Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels (Guy Ritchie made it before he married the whore from Detroit and was forced to make movies with her in it), Murderball (documentary, gained some fame last year but not widely seen outside of film academies), and Boondock Saints (hugely popular amongst my friends but I know a lot of people who have never seen it, may not be under the radar though).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:08 pm 

hawkeye wrote:
Quote:
SUICIDE KINGS

Seconded. I'll add a strange one called Freeway starring Keifer Sutherland and Reese Witherspoon from the mid 90's. Good strange movie.

Freeway was great. Very off the wall.

I'd say...

Boiler Room One of the movies I liked Vin Diesel in, thought it was a pretty decent film that not a lot of people talked about...and I don't remember critics liking it too much.

Igby Goes Down Somewhat of a critical darling, but not a lot said. Pretty good "Catcher in the Rye" type of story. I could relate...great cast, too. Bill Pullman, Susan Sarandon, Ryan Phillippe, Kieran Culkin, Jeff Goldblum, *and* the beetch Amanda Peet. Also stars Claire Danes in a pretty nice role.

Wonder Boys This one is a nice little gem. Very well written script (adapted from a novel by Michael Chabon) and also a great cast. Michael Douglas, Tobey Maguire, Katie Holmes (pre-Cruisified) and I think her breasts make a cameo...

Ravenous A strange horror(?) film, I really liked the idea of the movie. May be a little slow paced for some, a little too strange for others, but just right for...me I guess.

Green Street Hooligans Even if association football (or soccer) isn't your thing, this movie's got some great fight scenes and a very intruiging storyline, plus a very likeable cast. Elijah Wood firmly pushes the Frodo typecast away with this one.

And some others: "Adaptation", "Very Bad Things", "The Devil's Rejects", "Man on the Moon", "The Shape of Things"and "Wet Hot American Summer"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:20 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
RECO!!!!

I love Boiler Room, Zack. I've seen Wonder Boys and Adaptation, wasn't a big fan.

I haven't seen many films recently that I have enjoyed because I just haven't seen many films recently. That's why I was interested in hearing some good ones.

Could be another thread (great westerns) but I'll go old school John Wayne westerns too if you want and recommend The Searchers and Who Shot Liberty Valence, both top notch Wayne westerns.

From this thread you would think I was 70 years old. I'm really only 64.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Boboli
23 skiddoo, Doc

I'm a big fan of an old flick called "Sullivan's Travels." It's an old Preston Sturges film from the '40s starring Joel McCrea. He's a movie director who decides to live the hard life to prep for a new movie he wants to make. Things don't go as planned.

It's a little dated now, but is still a good watch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:51 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Papa Dells
Don't worry Doc, I have been accused of having an AARP card before.

A couple westerns for ya-
Winchester 73 with Jimmy Stewart and Shelly Winters
Support Your Local Sheriff with James Garner, Jack Elam, Bruce Dern and others. One of the first western spoofs and a very funny movie.

The War Wagon with the Duke and Kirk Douglas.
Nothing better than a good old western.

I saw the orignal Twelve Angry Men this weekend and it had been years since I had seen it. What an outstanding film, a must see.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:52 pm 

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
Quote:
From this thread you would think I was 70 years old. I'm really only 64.

Does someone still need you? Does someone still feed you?

This isn't a western John Wayne movie, but I really liked "The Longest Day". I actually have not seen "The Searchers", the movie that has been declared the best western film ever made or something like that. Just like books, there are still a few "musts" I haven't seen.

Don't know if you'll like it but have you heard of a movie called "Ride With the Devil"? It's somewhat of a western, more like a Civil War period pic, directed by Ang Lee. It's pretty well done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:54 pm 

Mr. Reason wrote:
Quote:
I saw the orignal Twelve Angry Men this weekend and it had been years since I had seen it. What an outstanding film, a must see.

One of the best "ensemble" films ever made. Great film. Speaking of great ensemble films, "Glengarry, GlenRoss" is up there too!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:15 pm 

Mr. Reason wrote:

I caught it too for the first time over the holidays . . . and then caught the end of a second showing a couple days later. Classic. If you call yourself a fan of movies, you have to have this one on your must see list. Great call, Reason.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:29 pm 

That is a great call Reason - haven't seen that one in a while myself. I wish I'd caught it.

Seconded on Glengarry GlenRoss, one of my favorite movies. So many great performances in that movie.

I could go on about Wayne movies but one more that must be mentioned - The Quiet Man. Excellent.

Speaking of Maureen O'Hara, one of my favorite John Candy movies (moment of silence), Only the Lonely - pretty good film.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:41 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Papa Dells
Can't argue with the Quiet Man, Doc. Maureen O'hara was a stunning young woman.
We could do a thread devoted totally to the Duke with no problem. I think there may be only a handfull of us contributing though. I don't know how popular John Wayne is with the under thirty crowd, maybe I'm wrong.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:10 pm 

Killer V wrote:
23 skiddoo, Doc

He's doing the lindy hop!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:15 pm 

Mr. Reason wrote:
Quote:
I don't know how popular John Wayne is with the under thirty crowd, maybe I'm wrong.

Yeah I'm impartial...I've seen a couple John Wayne movies I like, but I think I missed the boat on him. I have nothing against movies made during his time, some of them are my all time favorites, but a lot of the old westerns leave me flat. Except "The Wild Bunch". You can't go wrong with Sam Peckinpah.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:16 pm 

WheatonZack wrote:
One of the best "ensemble" films ever made. Great film. Speaking of great ensemble films, "Glengarry, GlenRoss" is up there too!

A.B.C.
Loved this movie. Could quote it all day.

Also, Only the Lonely was a bad movie, IIRC. Wasn't it shot in CHicago?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:33 am 
1000 CLUB

See, I thought Boiler Room was big - I guess I was wrong. I actually saw that opening weekend, and have been quoting it endlessly ever since.

Saw Glengarry not too long ago for the first time (dont ask me why a fan of Boiler Room would wait that long) - very good. I think Jack Lemmon could have played a serial killer and I still would have been sympathetic to him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:33 am 

Quote:
Bulldog Scott wrote:
Also, Only the Lonely was a bad movie, IIRC. Wasn't it shot in CHicago?

Yeah, in Chicago. I figure most people would think it was bad, but Quiet Man made me think of Maureen O'Hara and lets just say I can relate to the family in Only the Lonely. Not for everybody. I stand by my other recos though.

Zack, give Liberty Valence a try sometime. I know alot of westerns are very formulaic but the John Ford westerns are generally very good. In fact, all 3 Wayne movies I mentioned are John Ford movies if I am not mistaken.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:33 am 

Quote:
Green Street Hooligans Even if association football (or soccer) isn't your thing, this movie's got some great fight scenes and a very intruiging storyline, plus a very likeable cast. Elijah Wood firmly pushes the Frodo typecast away with this one.

I second this nomination. My roommate picked this one up on Netflix, and we both liked it quite a bit.

Quote:
and "Wet Hot American Summer"

Oh yeah! Hilarious!

The landowner effectively owns part shares in millions of part-time slaves called, "taxpayers." -Roy L
A Personal Relationship with Jesus?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:19 am 

When I was at UofI, I used to be Green Street Hooligan.

Inside Illini reference, sorry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:33 am 

pizza_Place: Jobu
Coach Crapowski wrote:
Quote:
retarded

You have a spinal cord problem?

1999-2000-2009
----------
XXI - XXV - XLII - XLVI

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:56 am 

Oh, just remembered another under the radar movie: "The Machinist." I enjoyed this movie a great deal.

The landowner effectively owns part shares in millions of part-time slaves called, "taxpayers." -Roy L
A Personal Relationship with Jesus?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Hut
25th Hour starring Edward Norton and my wife Rosario Dawson.

Kid Cairo: 2013 March Madness Tournament Winner!

"Cowabunga? Cowa fucking piece of dog shit! This game is diarrhea coming out of my dick!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:17 pm 

Kid Cairo wrote:

Very good movie. I can't quite call it a great movie due to the on-screen presence of Tony Siragusa. Good cast, though. Norton, Dawson, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Barry Pepper (Roger Maris), and Brian Cox.

While on Spike Lee movies...he just did one with Denzel and Clive Owen: "The Inside Man". Also very enjoyable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:41 pm 
1000 CLUB

Quote:

Great movie! Still use that toast all the time - didn't know this movie was considered under the radar.

"Champagne for my real friends, real pain for my sham friends"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:56 pm 
1000 CLUB

Not sure how under the radar this was but wasn't a huge box office hit, but Thank You for Smoking was a great movie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:03 pm 
1000 CLUB

Amen Hawk! Just saw it a couple weeks ago, my kind of movie - smart, funny, understated.