It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 136 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post subject: Re: Black Mirror
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 10:31 am 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
Can’t wait to tuck into the latest season of What If Phone But Too Much today

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2023 10:29 am 

pizza_Place: Geo's Pizza
Surprisingly the episodes were less technology related and more focused on social commentary. I don't think I'd recommend any of the episodes, unless you have a fetish for public defecation. Beyond the Sea had good acting but it seemed like lazy writing. I really didn't feel affected by either of the plot twists in it. NetFlix just continues to pump out shitty original programming at a high cost to subscribers.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 9:57 am 

finished this up this weekend. on the whole, it is an underwhelming season. and the shine has been wore off from this show a while now.

in order of how i watched it:

"joan is awful" - really fun premise, but it goes in too many directions for its own good. it could've been a few episodes dedicated to each plot twist (especially the idea that a streaming service has a link to our personal lives, the satire being that "binging" is literally a way of life). it does have some laughs, and it's fun at times. but it goes on too long and wears thin by the end. plus, the happy ending undoes a lot of the impact of the theme.

"loch henry" - also goes on too long (the end with the BAFTA awards was completely unnecessary), but had me intrigued throughout. i liked the true crime aspect, and how the story progresses. i liked it more than "Joan".

"mazey day" - easily my top pick. just for its simplicity, and it's the shortest of all the episodes. i love the twist, because i honestly didn't see it coming. it's just gory fun, something that could be rewatched during halloween.

"beyond the sea" - the longest and inexplicably so. there was no need for this to be a full length feature film style episode. unlike something like "USS Calister", which has a ton going on...this is an empty vessel. The story not only telegraphs itself, it takes forever to get to its predictable conclusion. the acting is excellent, which makes it watchable for a time. but i had a few moments where i almost turned it off, just by boredom. i think the story could've been stronger, given the idea that a "robot replica" exists in this alternate reality...there was something to flesh out, but it never really did anything with that idea. like CLH said, just lazy. it's a shame. "X-Files" did a ton better with that title.

"demon 79" - this was the most disappointing one for me. it starts out looking authentically like a late 70's British horror film, credits and all. But it starts becoming just another modern TV show episode, with the predictably evil WASPs getting justifiably killed so that we avoid an apocalypse. what makes no sense about this premise is that when the girl discovers the talisman, the demon that comes to her gives her glimpses into the future of specific targets (she has to sacrifice 3 people in 3 days, one each day)...but if the demon knows the future, he would know that none of these people would have futures. the story reminded me of "the cabin in the woods" and "frailty". the latter being the far, far superior film. but the idea that this demon is like...a friendly sidekick, is lame. i'm not sure what we're supposed to think as an audience. are we rooting for this girl to kill people? of course, like i said, these people that she kills and targets are "bad people". so they deserve to die? according to a demon? wouldn't the opposite be true, and the demon would just be fucking with you to think you're doing something good? it's just superficial jokey crap instead of something that could've been profound. like the idiotic "cabin in the woods", the logic of the story is incongruent and shakey. the conclusion is also flat...at 74 minutes, again...have something to say other than "punish wicked people or we all die". and in today's world of slippery slopes, what's good and bad anyway? people justify evil every day. so, the message doesn't come through. this is supposed to take place in 1979 but gets tripped up by "presentism" writing, which is completely ruining storytelling.

:D :D out of :D :D :D :D for the whole season.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2023 6:19 am 

Joan is awful should have been 6 episodes and the whole season. The other episodes weren't black mirror at all... What the fuck was that all about?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2023 3:44 pm 

W_Z wrote:
finished this up this weekend. on the whole, it is an underwhelming season. and the shine has been wore off from this show a while now.

in order of how i watched it:

"joan is awful" - really fun premise, but it goes in too many directions for its own good. it could've been a few episodes dedicated to each plot twist (especially the idea that a streaming service has a link to our personal lives, the satire being that "binging" is literally a way of life). it does have some laughs, and it's fun at times. but it goes on too long and wears thin by the end. plus, the happy ending undoes a lot of the impact of the theme.

"loch henry" - also goes on too long (the end with the BAFTA awards was completely unnecessary), but had me intrigued throughout. i liked the true crime aspect, and how the story progresses. i liked it more than "Joan".

"mazey day" - easily my top pick. just for its simplicity, and it's the shortest of all the episodes. i love the twist, because i honestly didn't see it coming. it's just gory fun, something that could be rewatched during halloween.

"beyond the sea" - the longest and inexplicably so. there was no need for this to be a full length feature film style episode. unlike something like "USS Calister", which has a ton going on...this is an empty vessel. The story not only telegraphs itself, it takes forever to get to its predictable conclusion. the acting is excellent, which makes it watchable for a time. but i had a few moments where i almost turned it off, just by boredom. i think the story could've been stronger, given the idea that a "robot replica" exists in this alternate reality...there was something to flesh out, but it never really did anything with that idea. like CLH said, just lazy. it's a shame. "X-Files" did a ton better with that title.

"demon 79" - this was the most disappointing one for me. it starts out looking authentically like a late 70's British horror film, credits and all. But it starts becoming just another modern TV show episode, with the predictably evil WASPs getting justifiably killed so that we avoid an apocalypse. what makes no sense about this premise is that when the girl discovers the talisman, the demon that comes to her gives her glimpses into the future of specific targets (she has to sacrifice 3 people in 3 days, one each day)...but if the demon knows the future, he would know that none of these people would have futures. the story reminded me of "the cabin in the woods" and "frailty". the latter being the far, far superior film. but the idea that this demon is like...a friendly sidekick, is lame. i'm not sure what we're supposed to think as an audience. are we rooting for this girl to kill people? of course, like i said, these people that she kills and targets are "bad people". so they deserve to die? according to a demon? wouldn't the opposite be true, and the demon would just be fucking with you to think you're doing something good? it's just superficial jokey crap instead of something that could've been profound. like the idiotic "cabin in the woods", the logic of the story is incongruent and shakey. the conclusion is also flat...at 74 minutes, again...have something to say other than "punish wicked people or we all die". and in today's world of slippery slopes, what's good and bad anyway? people justify evil every day. so, the message doesn't come through. this is supposed to take place in 1979 but gets tripped up by "presentism" writing, which is completely ruining storytelling.

:D :D out of :D :D :D :D for the whole season.

I just started this series and for some reason I was started at season 6 without me noticing. I'm pretty happy with Joan is Awful and Loch Ness. Beyond the sea was a 25 minute idea stretched into 70. I would have liked to know more about the cult and the general public's appetite for the robot men.

I look forward to getting to the even better episodes everyone referenced.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2023 6:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
good dolphin wrote:
I just started this series and for some reason I was started at season 6 without me noticing. I'm pretty happy with Joan is Awful and Loch Ness. Beyond the sea was a 25 minute idea stretched into 70. I would have liked to know more about the cult and the general public's appetite for the robot men.

I look forward to getting to the even better episodes everyone referenced.

I'm jealous you get to experience the show for the first time

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2023 8:20 am 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
most overrated show on Netflix. It was good for about 1 season and then it became a show where there was a good episode every once in a while and the rest were crap. Stopped watching a long time ago.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2023 8:55 am 

shakes wrote:
most overrated show on Netflix. It was good for about 1 season and then it became a show where there was a good episode every once in a while and the rest were crap. Stopped watching a long time ago.

It's difficult to write great stuff in that genre, episode after episode. People think well of the Twilight Zone and it had plenty of misses. Shamalan and Peele get deals thrown at them and they bat well below .500.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2023 9:26 am 

Creepshow and Love, Death and Robots have surpassed it as anthology shows in my opinion, quality wise.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2023 8:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Roseangela's
W_Z wrote:
the predictably evil WASPs getting justifiably killed

As usual, I am late to the game on any series. It's enjoyable. But I have seen six episodes from various seasons, and the idpol is hard to take. In "Demon 79," the most evil person they can find is The Grand Racist who stirs up anti-white sentiment, and even the demon shakes his head sadly in commentary at him (though he later does say he's loved by the other demons). Most couples are bi-racial. All the characters talk about "shitting," like that makes them liberated, uber-cool subversives. (Even the wealthy can slum!) The fact that half the episodes seem to involve some virtual world seems to reflect this upper-middle-class fantasy the writers have.

I have heard that is an episode "about" class--Nosedive, or something--but the episodes I saw are all about class--just a specific one.

Fucking awful verisimilitude, too. Fits in with the class thesis.

It's been fun watching them, even though it plays like it was written by an identity politics-obsessed dorkier version of Tarantino.

I usually post things like this under my Curious Hair account, but I am on my brother's computer, and I haven't the foggiest idea what my password is.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2023 9:12 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
I've watched most all of these and while I've liked each episode my favorite was the one most u like all the others..m San Junipero. I just thought it was very sweet and kind of innocent. The only episode where tech wasn't the bad guy. It was a great episode

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2023 7:54 am 

Thomas-Sox-WorldSeries wrote:
W_Z wrote:
the predictably evil WASPs getting justifiably killed

As usual, I am late to the game on any series. It's enjoyable. But I have seen six episodes from various seasons, and the idpol is hard to take. In "Demon 79," the most evil person they can find is The Grand Racist who stirs up anti-white sentiment, and even the demon shakes his head sadly in commentary at him (though he later does say he's loved by the other demons). Most couples are bi-racial. All the characters talk about "shitting," like that makes them liberated, uber-cool subversives. (Even the wealthy can slum!) The fact that half the episodes seem to involve some virtual world seems to reflect this upper-middle-class fantasy the writers have.

I have heard that is an episode "about" class--Nosedive, or something--but the episodes I saw are all about class--just a specific one.

Fucking awful verisimilitude, too. Fits in with the class thesis.

It's been fun watching them, even though it plays like it was written by an identity politics-obsessed dorkier version of Tarantino.

I usually post things like this under my Curious Hair account, but I am on my brother's computer, and I haven't the foggiest idea what my password is.

call me crude if you want but when the warning at the top of the show says nudity, I damn well expect nudity. If it were made by French you wouldn't get people making fuck while fully clothed.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2023 8:01 am 

pizza_Place: Geo's Pizza
Did he just say making fuck?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2023 6:33 am 

pizza_Place: What??
It doesn't get more old school than that. Dude's a viking.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2023 10:27 am 

pizza_Place: Roseangela's
It's all the same fucking episode. Over and over and over again.

I'm convinced these episodes are written by an extremely clever 17 year old. But still a 17 year old. That's the nuanced, edgy take on the world and human relationships I am getting from this.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2023 3:06 pm 

pizza_Place: What??
Thomas-Sox-WorldSeries wrote:
It's all the same fucking episode. Over and over and over again.

I'm convinced these episodes are written by an extremely clever 17 year old. But still a 17 year old. That's the nuanced, edgy take on the world and human relationships I am getting from this.

I don't care much for the British.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 136 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5