It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:46 pm 

pizza_Place: It's gone
good dolphin wrote:
I think Season 3 has some of that Hollywood bubble writing where every hero is either gay or jewish and everyone else is looking to eliminate them from existence.

I hate the Frank character. He is boring. He is unbelievable. He is not particularly well acted. I was happy to have him dead and there he goes appearing again as the same boring, unbelievable character.

if you read the amazon reviews for season 3 so many bad reviews because they say they pushed 2 characters into being gay and those viewers didnt want to see men kissing and hold hands out in the open with their kids watching. WTH!?!? Wouldn't have thought ultra religious people were so many fans of this show.

Ya Frank was a complete waste. He served no purpose this season. It would have been better of having him dead from end of season 2 and then not having him at all in season 3 and setup him up for season 4 from maybe our world.

The movies do have a big impact I think if you buy the storyline. A defeated people with their history taken away would be desperate for one type of hope.

Here is a good discussion forum I found for the show : https://www.reddit.com/r/maninthehighcastle/

just go there AFTER you've finished season 3.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:30 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
good dolphin wrote:

One thing I do not buy is that the writers are putting a lot of stock in the movies encouraging rebellion. Even if allied victory happened in another multiverse, the Nazis won in several other multiverses (or are they saying for this show that there are only two multiverses).

I could be wrong but before they start testing the device there is a 3D model of it at the main scientific offices. In that model it appears that
there are 3 separate "other worlds" but maybe that is just used as an example and not as fact since they are likely to not know how many different
worlds there are. I hope for the sake of the show and simplicity they just keep it to the two. Trying to watch a show like Westworld is a real chore
trying to keep all the worlds and timelines straight.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:26 am 

HawaiiYou wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
I think Season 3 has some of that Hollywood bubble writing where every hero is either gay or jewish and everyone else is looking to eliminate them from existence.

I hate the Frank character. He is boring. He is unbelievable. He is not particularly well acted. I was happy to have him dead and there he goes appearing again as the same boring, unbelievable character.

if you read the amazon reviews for season 3 so many bad reviews because they say they pushed 2 characters into being gay and those viewers didnt want to see men kissing and hold hands out in the open with their kids watching. WTH!?!? Wouldn't have thought ultra religious people were so many fans of this show.

Ya Frank was a complete waste. He served no purpose this season. It would have been better of having him dead from end of season 2 and then not having him at all in season 3 and setup him up for season 4 from maybe our world.

The movies do have a big impact I think if you buy the storyline. A defeated people with their history taken away would be desperate for one type of hope.

Here is a good discussion forum I found for the show : https://www.reddit.com/r/maninthehighcastle/

I don't care that they are gay. It just seems like an inordinate amount of people are gay...and each one of them just so happens to be heroic. Alternatively Hoover, the one historical person who was most likely gay, isn't acknowledged as such and he is a bad guy. You have to bring outside knowledge of Hoover to your viewing to understand the leverage Smith has on him.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:25 am 

good dolphin wrote:
HawaiiYou wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

I don't care that they are gay. It just seems like an inordinate amount of people are gay...and each one of them just so happens to be heroic. Alternatively Hoover, the one historical person who was most likely gay, isn't acknowledged as such and he is a bad guy. You have to bring outside knowledge of Hoover to your viewing to understand the leverage Smith has on him.

I understand what you are saying in that there appears to be a disproportionate number of gay relationships on the show but maybe some of that boils
down to the fact that it is a pretty miserable place to live in and that you look for love and connection any place you can. The Neutral Zone especially
seems to be very open to anything really. The Nazis and Japanese are not as open to this kind of relationship and that plays out during the 3rd season.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:06 pm 

pizza_Place: pizza and subs
just saw the preview while watching something else for season 3. and was like WAT. I just finished season 1 and probably won't continue.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:38 pm 

hnd wrote:
just saw the preview while watching something else for season 3. and was like WAT. I just finished season 1 and probably won't continue.

I felt the same way you did after season 1. I didn't even bother with season 2 until season 3 was already out. Season 2 was great and Season 3 is good. Both are much better than 1. I'm hooked.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:46 am 

pizza_Place: pizza and subs
i guess the vibe it put off to me was it moving towards sci-fi multiverse direction (which i don't think anyone has done really well) and not the alternate history route i enjoy like Harry Turtledove novels.

I could be wrong but thats what i got.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:52 pm 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
sorta spoilers below

i stumbled in to this series because i was looking for 4k streaming content... the first episode was intriguing and although the series was slow at times, over the last 3 weeks i managed to binge watch the first three seasons. i really like the show. the smith and kido characters are very interesting and "bad" guys i cant help but like. a couple things were tough to believe though, would the nazi's really trust americans to run the country? also, why would there be a "neatural zone"? why would either country not want to just have a border wall...? hitler being OK with the japanese doesnt seem to make sense. i mean if he hadnt have attacked russia europe may will still be a reich... so why wouldnt he have attacked japan?

looking forward to the final season, hope the conclusion is not ambiguous

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:45 pm 

He would have had no choice but to put americans in charge of America. They simply aren't big enough to truly occupy. Anyway, there was an American Nazi party (truly sympathetic to Nazi ideals, not this present day bs ignorance of true Nazi ideals) in the US prior to the war. There are plenty of people here with a sympathetic mindset. Now, of course you have to suspend disbelief a little as significant minority ethnic groups in this country wouldn't cozy up to Hitler's cleansing, essentially making northern big cities a breeding ground for guerilla warfare. Hitler had a pact with that turncoat royal abdicator to let England manage itself so I suspect he would find a similar support group in the US.

The neutral zone seems logical. Again, the Nazis wouldn't have enough people to cover the US and the Japanese even less so. Germany would want the plains for food production but the rockies become a very natural point of demarcation. Good luck trying to hold those against militias anyway, cause WOLVERINES!

I can't remember if the story ever addresses what happened to the eye ties. Obviously if Hitler screwed them over he would have additional problems with their American progeny.

I find the story plausible and that's all I'm looking for out of cracked history. Like you, I would have preferred that it did not become sci fi.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Yeah. It's a pretty incredible stretch to say that the Nazi's could have invaded mainland America while holding all of Europe, but in this storyline line they got the bomb first. The idea of the Japanese and the German co-occupying America is even more ridiculous. The Japanese could not even invade Hawaii let alone California.

This series seems to be missing an "it" factor. It's an interesting concept, but there are too many divergent story lines that don't seem to tie together.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:34 am 

Season 4 has started out very solid. I watched the first two episodes. They are embracing their sci fi nature much more this year. I like it as I think they had a schizophrenic understanding of their own show as broken history and sci fi. The broken history is now on the backburner and is almost along the lines with hydra in marvel.

I would have preferred a straight broken history. There is plenty to explore through that genre. However, I am happy that they just seem to be clearer in their focus.

They do acknowledge that history is inevitable, even if you change the circumstances. The Black Communists mimic racial equality/separation movements that happened in real history. I do also like some of the fanciful extrapolization of where Nazi technology would have advanced.

I really like the actor playing Smith. He sticks out in everything I have seen him in.

Last edited by good dolphin on Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:55 am 

Halfway through final season. It has been pretty solid. The time travel angle is a bit odd but so far it has made sense. Been an enjoyable series overall

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:07 am 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
I submit that this is the most torturously boring show in television. Just a real steaming pile of dog diarrhea.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:08 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
SpiralStairs wrote:
I submit that this is the most torturously boring show in television. Just a real steaming pile of dog diarrhea.

That was my impression when I stopped watching toward the end of season 1

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:14 am 

i like the show, they defnitely have no issues teasing you at the end of each episode... leave you wanting more... then the next episode autoplays so quickly you barely have time to process the ending of the episode before you watching the next episode for another hour.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:01 pm 

SpiralStairs wrote:

if you can sit through 15 minutes of downton abbey, you are a strong man than me

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:30 pm 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
FavreFan wrote:
SpiralStairs wrote:

tried to give your Netflix rec a go" unbelievable" that was 2 hours I'll never get back.. you know what's unbelievable? That you liked that POS and not man in the high Castle.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:35 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
312player wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
SpiralStairs wrote:

tried to give your Netflix rec a go" unbelievable" that was 2 hours I'll never get back.. you know what's unbelievable? That you liked that POS and not man in the high Castle.

That sounds like a you problem. That was a good show.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:48 am 

Season 4 was fantastic. As slow as 1 was is as quick as 4 became. There was almost too much scrunched into the season.

SPOILERS

I hated the ultimate ending. It opened more questions unnecessarily. Why not just end with Smith killing himself and the implication that his second in command was going to re establish the United States?

They treated opening the portal like it was some liberating moment for humanity. Haven't we learned that dimensional travel can wreak personal and dimensional havoc? As the one rebel said, the portal is an abomination no matter who is in control. It was unnecessary and confusing. Tie the story up nicely with a bow with the general throwing down his Nazi cross and the bombers turning from their course. That would have been satisfying.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:09 am 

They really seemed to understand the story in Season 4. Great Sci Fi. The Man In The High Castle character really became prominent as the all knowing sage of the universe.

However, this show absolutely belonged to Rufus Sewall as Smith. Try as they might to make Juliana Crane the story, Sewall just killed scene after scene as Smith. The other person who really shone was Stephen Root. He has played comedy so well in the past you don't always see his talent. He matched Sewall in every scene

I could have really used Episode 5 of this season to have appeared in Season 1-2. I needed that explanation of the transition both physically and psychologically from US to Nazi. It would have had a greater impact on the entire show to have seen it earlier. Also, we really only learn at the end of the horrors Smith has inflicted on the country. Eradication of entire supposedly inferior subcultures in the US was left to a post script deep in Season 4. The only Smith crime the viewer saw for 3.5 seasons was really that he was overly ambitious in his rise through the Nazi ranks.

I would have told the story in a much more linear fashion. I suppose the placement was largely due to them not knowing if they would be renewed for a second season.

Anyway, great series overall.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:24 am 

They didn't seem to know what to do with the Black Communists. They obviously weren't really communists. They didn't know if they wanted to write them as separatists, hoping to form a new black country or as working to form a new society as part of a new US. More could have been done with this group.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:31 pm 

I enjoyed it overall. I came away from the finale a bit dissatisfied with the ending but glad that it was all over with and it had wrapped up well enough.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:36 pm 

T-Bone wrote:
I enjoyed it overall. I came away from the finale a bit dissatisfied with the ending but glad that it was all over with and it had wrapped up well enough.

I just pretend that it ended when the general threw his iron cross on the table and the planes turned around

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:58 am 

spoilers and ranting below

i couldnt believe how episode 9 ended, didnt see it coming although i should have figured that smith would come out on top as he always had done so up to that point. still how does the new guy explain that himler died and by the way all other german generals just so happened to die on the same day?

i have to agree the last episode was somewhat disappointing. it took 39 episodes for helen smith to basically all of a sudden obtain a conscious? to finally acknowledge she benefited from rounding up and killing millions of americans? wtf was with the portal opening and a bunch of people walking in to this world? why the hell would anyone want to be in the reich world... things were far from settled... it didnt seem to make any sense. also, i think smith would have killed julianna crane in that setting... he was way too crafty to just throw down his submachingun and sit on a cliff waiting for her. finally shoutout to the german fence engineer who put the power line for the electric fence on the unprotected side of the fence.... essentially equivalent to leaving the front door key under the front door mat.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:10 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
tommy wrote:
From your description of the show, no. However, the thing about Phillip K. Dick is that his novels are so bare bones that film or series versions are kind of on their own. That is, they have a lot of gaps to fill in..... His stories are fascinating, but I hate reading them. Very weird.

We are on this short story thing or whatever by Dick, I'm not sure. Tim Whatley is an alien and there was a sex scene. He was naked and touching boobies. Now my question is how does all that work as an actor/actress? Does he have some sort of dick covering? Do you rub one out before hand so it's like a sore dick? (Couldn't beat it if you tried) Is it all camera angles?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:52 am 

I loved the first season of the show but that first episode or whatever of season 2 where you find out about the multiple worlds I was out

I was promised a show about if Hitler won and it turned into back to the fuckng Future