It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1420 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 48  Next
 Post subject: Re: Better Call Saul
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:33 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Been watching a bit of the marathon with the Cubs on delay.

Getting psyched.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:47 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:

Getting psyched.

Watched both seasons on Netflix last week. Worth the 20 hours.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:

Getting psyched.

Same, except switching back and forth with the Bulls. Man, Chuck is such a fucking prick. :lol:

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:57 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
I watched a couple of episodes after work yesterday and then recorded the last 3 from season 2. I'll watch those this week and then jump
into season 3 running. Forgot how much I liked the show watching some of the episodes from middle of last year.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:47 pm 

It was a decent first episode. Slower than I was hoping for, but it obviously set things up nicely for next week, and I like the deliberate pace Gilligan goes by in his shows. I had a general idea of what Mike was doing, but wasn't 100% sure about all of the details. A review I read cleared it up, so spoilers below:

(**) Because the latter sequence takes place at night, and because Mike doesn’t have anyone to explain himself to (not that he would even if Jesse Pinkman were standing next to him asking questions), it took me until a second viewing to entirely make sense of what happened. So here goes: Mike, using the duplicate tracker his veterinarian friend helped him procure, realizes that the tracker hidden in his gas cap runs on a battery, that the receiver gets a warning when the battery is low, and that odds are greater that the people following him will simply swap out the whole gas cap (with a new tracker) each time the battery needs changing, since that can be done in seconds, rather than the minute or more it would take to dismantle the cap, swap the battery (or tracker), reassemble the cap, and screw it back in. He puts the duplicate tracker, which he has the receiver for, into the car, then runs down the battery from the original tracker by using it to also power his trusty transistor radio. When the batter runs low, he knows the people following him will come to replace it and drive off with what they think is their tracker, but is really his. Once they’ve come and gone, he hops into his sedan and follows from a safe distance, knowing he can use his receiver to keep tabs on their position. It’s not as complicated as, say, Jesse figuring out what Huell did with his cigarettes, but I know I wasn’t the only reviewer who didn’t grasp all the ins and outs of the plan the first time through.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:08 pm 

pizza_Place: ....
FavreFan wrote:
It was a decent first episode. Slower than I was hoping for, but it obviously set things up nicely for next week, and I like the deliberate pace Gilligan goes by in his shows. I had a general idea of what Mike was doing, but wasn't 100% sure about all of the details. A review I read cleared it up, so spoilers below:

(**) Because the latter sequence takes place at night, and because Mike doesn’t have anyone to explain himself to (not that he would even if Jesse Pinkman were standing next to him asking questions), it took me until a second viewing to entirely make sense of what happened. So here goes: Mike, using the duplicate tracker his veterinarian friend helped him procure, realizes that the tracker hidden in his gas cap runs on a battery, that the receiver gets a warning when the battery is low, and that odds are greater that the people following him will simply swap out the whole gas cap (with a new tracker) each time the battery needs changing, since that can be done in seconds, rather than the minute or more it would take to dismantle the cap, swap the battery (or tracker), reassemble the cap, and screw it back in. He puts the duplicate tracker, which he has the receiver for, into the car, then runs down the battery from the original tracker by using it to also power his trusty transistor radio. When the batter runs low, he knows the people following him will come to replace it and drive off with what they think is their tracker, but is really his. Once they’ve come and gone, he hops into his sedan and follows from a safe distance, knowing he can use his receiver to keep tabs on their position. It’s not as complicated as, say, Jesse figuring out what Huell did with his cigarettes, but I know I wasn’t the only reviewer who didn’t grasp all the ins and outs of the plan the first time through.

I figured Mike would also be smart enough to have a camera going to record the car, plate, and driver, and be in a position to follow it immediately in the event that they did actually perform an on-site battery swap.

I apologize to The Hawk

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:10 pm 

The details in this show are incredible. The only downside to that is I feel like I have to watch an episode twice.

Of course Mike does crosswords with a pen.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:57 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
The details in this show are incredible. The only downside to that is I feel like I have to watch an episode twice.

Of course Mike does crosswords with a pen.

lol as do I.

I apologize to The Hawk

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:50 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Caught up last night and this morning. I agree that the detail and thought put into both the writing and cinematography is really great on this show.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:21 am 

T-Bone wrote:
Caught up last night and this morning. I agree that the detail and thought put into both the writing and cinematography is really great on this show.
I agree that is very well done.

I just hope that they don't use it to justify stretching out the storylines so much to keep this show going longer than it should. There is a pretty solid end date for the content of this show unless we get to see the rest of the life of Saul after Breaking Bad. They can only do so many extreme fast forward one camera shots to fill the time.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:13 am 

it feels like the black and white vignettes are going to be the only gateway into post-saul life. gene the manager.

mike's subplot was incredibly patient and painstaking. in a good way. nothing gets by him. and the best thing is, no dialog. i really hate exposition most of the time; and they really do a great job of just letting the camera do the talking. we can get an idea for what mike is doing, especially when he hooks the tracker up to his radio. exchanging the tracker, with his own transmitter, puts the shoe on the other foot.

i think ernesto is my favorite supporting character. i love his facial expressions. i just feel so bad for him sometimes.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:37 pm 

pizza_Place: It's gone
I've watched this series from the beginning.

it is SOOOOO SLOWWWWW.

It's acceptable if you watched BB, but if you watch this fresh without knowing about BB, I think you would have quit the show long time ago since basically nothing happens.

The first 2 seasons could have been wrapped up in a half season or maybe a short 1 season.

I saw the season 3 premiere and it started out slow but it really picked up in the middle and end.

I hope we finally see how he becomes Saul. I'm tired of dicking around w/ this show even though I like the actors.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:49 am 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
HawaiiYou wrote:

it is SOOOOO SLOWWWWW.

It's acceptable if you watched BB, but if you watch this fresh without knowing about BB, I think you would have quit the show long time ago since basically nothing happens.

The first 2 seasons could have been wrapped up in a half season or maybe a short 1 season.

I saw the season 3 premiere and it started out slow but it really picked up in the middle and end.

I hope we finally see how he becomes Saul. I'm tired of dicking around w/ this show even though I like the actors.

When watching Breaking Bad real time, it was the same. Not this slow though.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:56 am 

HawaiiYou wrote:

it is SOOOOO SLOWWWWW.

This is a weird complaint. The show is so good because of the deliberate nature of it. If you don't like the show and just want to find out how he becomes Saul, why not just quit watching and google it when the show is over?

If the first two seasons were condensed into a half season the show would go from one of the best on TV to a pretty bad show.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:45 am 

i've never seen "Breaking Bad" and i think this is one of the finest shows on television. there's a difference between "slow" and "deliberate". BCS is the latter. "boardwalk empire", to me, was *slow*.

this show has a lot of depth and a lot of what's to be admired is within that depth. if you're watching it to "see what happens" every week, you're watching for the wrong reasons.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:22 am 

This show will rival 'Fargo' as Show of The Year, yet again.

I apologize to The Hawk

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:39 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
W_Z wrote:
i've never seen "Breaking Bad" and i think this is one of the finest shows on television. there's a difference between "slow" and "deliberate". BCS is the latter. "boardwalk empire", to me, was *slow*.

this show has a lot of depth and a lot of what's to be admired is within that depth. if you're watching it to "see what happens" every week, you're watching for the wrong reasons.

It's hard to believe that a WZ has never seen BB. You have to make time to see it.
It's the best television I have ever seen. I never thought anything would be better than the Sopranos until I started watching Breaking Bad.
That said, whether you consider BCS a sequel or a prequel or whatever, it is a very worthy counterpart to Breaking Bad.

Former host of The Outdoors Experience on WIND and The Great Outdoors on CLTV
http://www.wefishasa.com

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:01 pm 

Yes, I missed out on that among other TV shows in recent years. I haven't had time to commit to it yet but I would still like to watch it sometime. I've seen a few episodes here and there and liked what I saw.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:35 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
HawaiiYou wrote:

it is SOOOOO SLOWWWWW.

This is a weird complaint. The show is so good because of the deliberate nature of it. If you don't like the show and just want to find out how he becomes Saul, why not just quit watching and google it when the show is over?

If the first two seasons were condensed into a half season the show would go from one of the best on TV to a pretty bad show.

I like the show. It's just slow. There was one season where there was more legalise than storyline.

A show that was deliberate and not slow was The Wire. Now that's the way to do it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:17 am 

NOW THAT'S THE TYPE OF SHIT IM TALKING ABOUT! Excellent episode. wow best one in this SLOW ASS series HAHAHA

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:16 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
You know what is real slow? Starting an RIP thread about Don Rickles TEN DAYS after he died.

viewtopic.php?f=127&t=106058

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:22 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
You know what is real slow? Starting an RIP thread about Don Rickles TEN DAYS after he died.

viewtopic.php?f=127&t=106058

May you get stuck in an elevator during a Hillary Clinton fart!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:52 pm 

Just caught up on the last episode. This is probably the best show on TV right now. The Mike parts and the Jimmy parts are both just outstanding.

Mike telling Gus that the civilian "wasn't in the Game" was fuckin' great. A man's gotta have a code.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 6:40 am 

the intrigue keeps mounting with this season. i think my favorite scene was between jimmy and his old colleague, stealing his fries. jimmy clearly was trying to schmooze, only to find out it's not going to help him because he's going to get assigned to a new prosecutor.

they're definitely moving mike's character into ice cold calculating territory. the guy is a genius. and i realize what he becomes in "breaking bad" but watching this unfold is quite remarkable.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 7:09 am 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
W_Z wrote:
the intrigue keeps mounting with this season. i think my favorite scene was between jimmy and his old colleague, stealing his fries. jimmy clearly was trying to schmooze, only to find out it's not going to help him because he's going to get assigned to a new prosecutor.

they're definitely moving mike's character into ice cold calculating territory. the guy is a genius. and i realize what he becomes in "breaking bad" but watching this unfold is quite remarkable.

I think the great part is finding out why Mike is so loyal to Gus in Breaking Bad.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 1:21 pm 

W_Z wrote:

Mikes facial expressions in that scene with Gus were awesome. He's not used to not having the upper hand.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 8:37 pm 

best show on tv is a reach but the show has been great so far. this is what i was expecting. not some legal melodrama.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 11:00 am 

Another great episode last night. Every Gus/Mike scene continues to be fantastic.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 12:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
I wonder if we're gonna continue to see that through the rest of the season. I assume it eventually ends with Mike putting Hector in the wheelchair.

I want to see Jimmy get over on Chuck next week.

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 12:16 pm 

Terry's Peeps wrote:
I wonder if we're gonna continue to see that through the rest of the season. I assume it eventually ends with Mike putting Hector in the wheelchair.

I want to see Jimmy get over on Chuck next week.

That closing shot of Jimmy and Kim was fantastic, as was Gus's speech to his fast food workers. He seems like a great boss when he's not murdering his employees with a box cutter.

To rock my soul

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1420 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 48  Next