It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1420 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 48  Next
 Post subject: Re: Better Call Saul
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 9:46 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Darkside wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Also, I'm sure at some point we're going to see a flashback that shows that Jimmy wasn't "robbing his parents blind." The old man was probably taking the money from the till and sending it out to Sportsman's and Hawthorne.

There already was such a flashback.
Jimmy is young and working in dad's store.
A man comes in with a story and asks for money.
Dad gives him money and goes to search for spark plugs.
The man spends the money on smokes instead 9f whatever he claimed he needed the money for.
Man says something to Jimmy to the effect of there's sheep and wolves.
Jimmy then steals from the till.

I know, but I don't think Jimmy grabbing a few bucks here and there caused his dad to die broke. I think we'll see that things weren't the way Chuck thinks.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 9:55 am 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
I'd disagree (shocking)
I think they're showing his first of many thefts from the till. Showing he's willing to be the wolf that he really became before his Chicago sunroof that ultimately led to his departure to Albuquerque.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 10:10 am 
Site Admin

Darkside wrote:
I'd disagree (shocking)
I think they're showing his first of many thefts from the till. Showing he's willing to be the wolf that he really became before his Chicago sunroof that ultimately led to his departure to Albuquerque.

I wouldn't call Jimmy "a wolf". If he were he could have had Chuck locked up in the loony bin.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 10:12 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Darkside wrote:
I'd disagree (shocking)

I wouldn't call Jimmy "a wolf". If he were he could have had Chuck locked up in the loony bin.

I don't think a wolf ends up as Cinnabon Gene either

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 10:42 am 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Well... i would imagine that the fallout from the Chicago sunroof, his parents dying and the help Chuck gave him in new Mexico cmgave him a new perspective... he tried to change his ways and went to law school to impress Chuck, and with his disapproval and his persistence that Jimmy cant change reverted him to his wolfish ways. In a way Chuck seems responsible for both Jimmy changes, to the good side and back to the dark side.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 10:48 am 
Site Admin

Darkside wrote:
In a way Chuck seems responsible for both Jimmy changes, to the good side and back to the dark side.

Yes. Chuck is the monster. Not Jimmy.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 10:50 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Darkside wrote:
In a way Chuck seems responsible for both Jimmy changes, to the good side and back to the dark side.

From a comment on Reddit:

It is an amazing testament to the writing that in a show with murderers, thieves, and drug dealers, the biggest villain is a law-abiding lawyer trying to stop his irresponsible brother.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 11:01 am 
Site Admin

FavreFan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Darkside wrote:

From a comment on Reddit:

It is an amazing testament to the writing that in a show with murderers, thieves, and drug dealers, the biggest villain is a law-abiding lawyer trying to stop his irresponsible brother.

:lol: :lol: That's true, but none of the murderers, thieves, or drug dealers is a self-righteous prick the way Chuck is.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 11:04 am 

Wish I was binge watching this show. Hate waiting week-to-week for the next episode! Very entertaining.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 11:27 am 

pizza_Place: Pequods
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
newper wrote:
Another good episode... I liked the defense strategy regarding the content of the tape. Then the parlor trick to indicate that things might be as physical as they seem. The backstory with the ex-wife was interesting as well. Also the way they are turning this into a negative for the clients of Hamlin, Hamlin, & McGill is well done.

You really have to suspend disbelief. I mean, Chuck has already been committed to Jimmy's guardianship. There is no diagnosis that he is anything other than crazy, but the Bar Association and the courts of New Mexico are accommodating this loon by collecting phones and turning off lights? It's too stupid.

I think that's more showing us the power Howard Hamlin has as probably one of the top lawyers in the state with friends everywhere. Remember, if Chuck is deemed crazy, Howard has to pay him a big chunk of money as his partner's share.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 12:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
i love Howard's character. The first year or 2 i thought he was a complete asshole and maybe he deserved it with some of the stuff he did, but you can tell he respects Jimmy's resourcefulness as a lawyer - he didn't want anything to do with what he saw coming between Chuck and Jimmy in the hearing room. He realized Jimmy could be a pretty formidable opponent head-to-head in the courtroom, even when Chuck was blind to it. I think Howard wishes he still had Charlie Hustle over at HHM and Chuck had hit the road a long time ago.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 1:22 pm 
Site Admin

man of few opinions wrote:
i love Howard's character. The first year or 2 i thought he was a complete asshole and maybe he deserved it with some of the stuff he did, but you can tell he respects Jimmy's resourcefulness as a lawyer - he didn't want anything to do with what he saw coming between Chuck and Jimmy in the hearing room. He realized Jimmy could be a pretty formidable opponent head-to-head in the courtroom, even when Chuck was blind to it. I think Howard wishes he still had Charlie Hustle over at HHM and Chuck had hit the road a long time ago.

I was just thinking about it some more after FavreFan posted that quote from Reddit. Everybody on the show has some basic code that he lives by that could be called honorable to a certain degree. Except Chuck. Chuck acts righteous and tells himself his code is the law, but he's a real selfish scumbag who would find a way to twist the law to suit himself. Like trying to make the copy shop clerk think he has some authority. For my money, Chuck is a lesser man than people like Mike or even Hector. Chuck only has fake honor.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 2:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
Jaw Breaker wrote:
shakes wrote:
Why is Mike mad at Hector? I have no recollection of where that came from.

Hector threatened Mike and his family when Mike had the run-in with Tuco. Mike also didn't like that Hector had the good samaritan (who came upon the truck driver Mike had bound) killed. And now we're at the point where Mike may be going to work for Gus, and Gus REALLY doesn't like Hector.

I remember the Tuco part, but what are you referring to with the good Samaritan? No recollection of that.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 3:09 pm 

Throughout the entire first season, we are led to see Howard as the stumbling block keeping Jimmy from finding success. I think it's in the finale that we find out it was Chuck who blocked Jimmy from joining HHM and that Howard was never standing in Jimmy's way.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 3:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
shakes wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:
shakes wrote:
Why is Mike mad at Hector? I have no recollection of where that came from.

Hector threatened Mike and his family when Mike had the run-in with Tuco. Mike also didn't like that Hector had the good samaritan (who came upon the truck driver Mike had bound) killed. And now we're at the point where Mike may be going to work for Gus, and Gus REALLY doesn't like Hector.

I remember the Tuco part, but what are you referring to with the good Samaritan? No recollection of that.

its only known through dialogue. after mike ambushes the truck, he leaves the driver bound in the middle of nowhere. its implied that Hector and his people found out because a good Samaritan stopped to help the driver. Mike asks about what happened with the good samaritan. hes told hector had him killed once the truck and driver were picked up.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 10:02 pm 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
That was some pretty sloppy work by the lawyer for the state bar. Jimmy discloses Huell as a witness (and presumably what he will testify about, ie. Planting a cell phone battery on Chuck) but doesn't bother to dipose him prior to the hearing? Hmmmm.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 6:18 am 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

Throughout the entire first season, we are led to see Howard as the stumbling block keeping Jimmy from finding success. I think it's in the finale that we find out it was Chuck who blocked Jimmy from joining HHM and that Howard was never standing in Jimmy's way.

Thought that was pretty much implied season 1?

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 8:44 am 

pizza_Place: Pasaro's, St. Joe, MI.
walkrman5 wrote:
Wish I was binge watching this show. Hate waiting week-to-week for the next episode! Very entertaining.

I just caught up on this whole season last night, can't wait for next week. Kinda like the day I watched season two, but had a whole year to wait. at least this is only a week!

I do find myself catching little "possible clues", like why is it courtroom number 235, what is the significance of 1216 or 1261...looking for a secret meaning.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 9:04 am 

K Effective wrote:
walkrman5 wrote:

I just caught up on this whole season last night, can't wait for next week. Kinda like the day I watched season two, but had a whole year to wait. at least this is only a week!

I do find myself catching little "possible clues", like why is it courtroom number 235, what is the significance of 1216 or 1261...looking for a secret meaning.

Is this show "Lost"?

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 9:08 am 

Cashman wrote:
K Effective wrote:
walkrman5 wrote:

Is this show "Lost"?

Best title ever for a show? Lost.

That show was Lost throughout the entire run. Making up bullshit as it went along.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 9:12 am 

walkrman5 wrote:
Cashman wrote:
K Effective wrote:
walkrman5 wrote:

Is this show "Lost"?

That show was Lost throughout the entire run. Making up bullshit as it went along.

After the 2nd season, beginning of the 3rd, I just gave up.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 9:15 am 

walkrman5 wrote:
Making up bullshit as it went along.

Isn't that literally every TV show that ever existed?

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 9:39 am 

Douchebag wrote:
walkrman5 wrote:

Yeah, I doubt most showrunners have much beyond season 1 planned when they shoot a pilot.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 9:50 am 

Cashman wrote:
walkrman5 wrote:
Cashman wrote:
K Effective wrote:
walkrman5 wrote:

Is this show "Lost"?

After the 2nd season, beginning of the 3rd, I just gave up.

same

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 9:55 am 

Douchebag wrote:
walkrman5 wrote:

true enough...Maybe it was just the level of bullshit with Lost? That show just always left you feeling like it was really building up to some great "payoff" or "reveal".....and in the end...it just left you feeling "Lost". Thus...the "Greatest Title Ever" accolade. This was one of the first shows ever that I binged watched on Netflix...so I was hooked for awhile....then I got frustrated and gave up on it.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 4:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
Lost was a great show. And i finished it.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 4:20 pm 

SuperNintendoHjalmarsson wrote:

You are probably in the minority on both of those.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 4:26 pm 

Cashman wrote:
SuperNintendoHjalmarsson wrote:

You are probably in the minority on both of those.

It was great, then good, then probably average.

Seasons 1 and 2 are probably the best network tv of this century.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 4:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Lost was a great show for seasons 1 and 4, and most of season 2 (excluding the tailies parts).

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 6:58 pm 

walkrman5 wrote:
Douchebag wrote:
walkrman5 wrote:

true enough...Maybe it was just the level of bullshit with Lost? That show just always left you feeling like it was really building up to some great "payoff" or "reveal".....and in the end...it just left you feeling "Lost". Thus...the "Greatest Title Ever" accolade. This was one of the first shows ever that I binged watched on Netflix...so I was hooked for awhile....then I got frustrated and gave up on it.

it's because they kept acting like they knew what they were doing. i couldn't stand that they wouldn't just own up to making it up as they went along. of course they were doing that. they weren't tying up their knots, they were just patching shit up with other distractions. it became like an elaborate magic show that wound up being a parlor trick.

i don't like to give it credit, because that gets the writers off the hook. finish the damn job. they were well paid and most of them have careers post-show.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1420 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 48  Next