It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1420 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 48  Next
 Post subject: Better Call Saul
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:27 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Two night premiere this Sunday & Monday. Been looking forward to this for over a year. So far, the reviews have been pretty solid.

http://grantland.com/hollywood-prospect ... -pays-off/

Andy Greenwald wrote:
Better Call Saul, the long-gestating Breaking Bad spinoff, premieres this Sunday night on AMC. (A second episode will debut Monday.) No show in my tenure at Grantland has inspired so many readers to reach out with one straightforward question: Is it any good? In the spirit of justice — a concept that Saul Goodman holds dear, though not nearly as dear as his billfold — let me address it right at the top. Yes. It is. Very, very good.

Post subject: Re: Better Call Saul
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:27 pm 

Pretty solid?

Ive seen multiple reviews saying it's as good as Breaking Bad. Crazy.

CANT WAIT

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:41 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
rogers park bryan wrote:
Pretty solid?

Ive seen multiple reviews saying it's as good as Breaking Bad. Crazy.

CANT WAIT

That is crazy. Any critic saying that after seeing 3 episodes should be dismissed out of hand.

The critics I usually read have all been pretty cautious to get too hyped but they've all said it's good and in most cases very good.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:49 pm 

Better Call Saul: Critics are giving rave reviews to the Breaking Bad spin-off ahead of February release

Breaking Bad fan? It’s time to get excited.

The arrival of the hugely anticipated spin-off from smash show and binge-watch essential Breaking Bad is imminent.

Better Call Saul, based on the character of Walter White’s morally questionable lawyer Saul Goodman, is due to air in February, but US critics have already given their verdict.

Will it be a Frasier-style spin-off success? Or more of a Joey disaster?

Here’s the roundup of what they said- without (too many) spoilers- ahead of its airing on AMC in the US on 8 February. Though the exact release date has yet to be revealed, UK viewers will be able to fix their eyeballs on Better Call Saul on Netflix shortly afterwards.

ESQUIRE

I'll just say it: The first few episodes that I saw are better than Breaking Bad. They are smarter. They are sharper. I have never seen a prequel handled so cleverly. What we know from the previous series about Saul Goodman, or James McGill as he is known in Better Call Saul, provides a kind of counter-intuitive suspense mechanism. In the very first shot, in silent black and white, we see the ruins of Saul Goodman after the action of Breaking Bad, just as he said he would be. He's working at a Cinnabon in a mall, terrified of anyone slightly threatening who walks into the store. The question for the plot is: How did he become this way? How did he fail so catastrophically? [Read the full review]

VARIETY

As played by [Bob] Odenkirk, McGill is a combed-over mess, filled with ambition and simmering rage… In short, Better Call Saul requires a certain leap of faith, trusting that Gilligan and Gould – having so excelled in delivering unexpected twists and surprises on the first show – can gradually build this into a more compelling and fully realized concept. In the early going, they display a deft touch at slowly peeling back layers on the characters, if perhaps a bit too assiduously to as yet establish 'Saul' as anything approaching the sort of addictive experience its predecessor became.

To be fair, the series is unlikely to ever approach the operatic highs of Breaking Bad, which also traced a middle-aged guy’s moral descent into darkness, but did so with the heightened stakes of a fatal diagnosis, a family and the notion of Mr. Chips becoming Scarface, as Gilligan has described it. And matching one of the great series ever is too much to ask.

Indeed, it seemed pretty obvious going in that this spin-off promised to be a narrower concept – and unlike “Breaking Bad,” the show won’t have the luxury of sneaking up on anybody. For now, ‘Saul’ contains some attractive elements, fine moments and a fabulous pedigree, but even Jimmy/Saul might be forced to concede the jury’s still out in terms of proving it has the right formula. [Read the full review]

THE HOLLYWOOD REPORTER

The first hour moves slower than people might be expecting, but builds to and ends on a wonderful cliff-hanger that is partly but not fully solved in the second episode (luckily airing only a day after the pilot).

What's arguably unheard of with Better Call Saul is that it's a spin-off from one of the greatest dramas in TV history, a feat not attempted by The Sopranos, The Wire, or (at this point) Mad Men. That's a risk that's fascinating and bold. Whether it's one that's worth watching will settled in the weeks and months (and maybe years) ahead.

But there's no question that Gilligan and Gould have earned the right to attempt this. So going along for the ride, no matter how it unspools, seems absolutely essential. [Read the full review]

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY

As a character study of a postmodern Willy Loman, as a satire about self-creation, as a subversive poke at those who find wish fulfillment in antihero fantasy, Better Call Saul has promise and purpose. But the show doesn't yet know how to entertain as anything but deep-dive fan service. Like Saul himself, its identity is a work in progress. The energetic visual storytelling engages, but the deliberate pacing left me restless. I like the offbeat black comedy and downbeat poignancy, but the qualities don't mix well at present. (Though the McKean character nicely shades Saul, he's absurd all the same.) Odenkirk is fine, but he might be more compelling if the role were modified to express his broad range of comic talent. Saul has a story in it. A series? For now, that call's on hold. [Read the full review]

WASHINGTON POST

I’ll spare you more details, since all you really need to know is this: It isn’t too long before Jimmy/Saul is bound and gagged and thrown to the desert ground under a big, blue sky dotted with clouds — and Breaking Bad fans are home. The instant the duct tape is ripped off his mouth by his captors, a certain Saul-ness kicks in and Odenkirk’s talent is on full display as Jimmy delivers a pleading, philosophical monologue on — among other things — the awful nature of revenge. It’s a beautiful, even melodious act of BS-ing. [Read the full review]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:52 pm 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
Cant wait to see this Sunday & Monday!

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:01 pm 

I'm rather conflicted. I loved BB, but was not a huge fan of Saul per se. With that I did not hold much expectation then for this new series. Now, after reading some of these reviews and recognizing the people "still" involved with show development, I'm pretty intrigued by it. i'll set up the DVR and give it a chance.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
walkrman5 wrote:
I'm rather conflicted. I loved BB, but was not a huge fan of Saul per se. With that I did not hold much expectation then for this new series. Now, after reading some of these reviews and recognizing the people "still" involved with show development, I'm pretty intrigued by it. i'll set up the DVR and give it a chance.

How can you love BB, but not be a fan of Saul? He was a pretty big part of the show. If you didn't like him I'd say your love for BB might be overstated.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
AMC has released a digital comic ahead of the series premier:

Also, Odenkirk does standup on a podcast that also has a set from Carolla's latest Alison Rosen replacement Beth Stelling (Stelling was hosting open mics in Chicago a few years back):

http://www.feralaudio.com/pete-holmes-b ... rek-sheen/

Pete Holmes voices the e-trade baby and he's often on Doug Loves Movies. Don't think I've ever heard him do standup.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Cali Za Kitchen
Q.Bovifs wrote:
LESS THAN 3 HOURS LEFT TILL LAUNCH!!

WOO HOOOOO!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:06 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Draper has the Old Fashioned. Saul with the Rusty Nail!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:53 pm 

Terry's Boys from Cicero!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:26 am 

it was definitely an interesting start. i can't help but still see "mr. show" with odenkirk sometimes though. listening to those opening "better call saul" ads i could almost hear him give the "pratt promises" and to call him right now! he's at home right now!

but the whole thing with the douchebag skateboarders and the last sequence was just awesome.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:02 am 

Good start, I think it will get better tonight

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:38 am 

After the old Hispanic lady got out of the car, I knew someone like Tuco would be showing up. Saw that coming a mile away.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:39 am 

Douchebag wrote:
After the old Hispanic lady got out of the car, I knew someone like Tuco would be showing up. Saw that coming a mile away.

Well, yeah, I think we all knew something like that was coming

Im glad. I liked Tuco.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:42 am 

I avoided spoilers but had read that some familiar faces would be showing up. I strongly suspected it would be either Crazy 8 or Tuco and Tuco would be the more impactful one given the history. My money was on Tuco.

I enjoyed it. I also enjoyed the little nods to BB like him walking out to the parking lot like he's walking to a white Caddy and getting into the POS car next to it. There were a few others like that.

It's a pretty slow-burn in episode 1, though, particularly if you are coming into this new. I wonder what kind of ratings this will get. I'm sure last night's # is huge but I'm a little concerned. But, I guess Season 2 is already confirmed so who cares.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:45 am 

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
I avoided spoilers but had read that some familiar faces would be showing up. I strongly suspected it would be either Crazy 8 or Tuco and Tuco would be the more impactful one given the history. My money was on Tuco.

I enjoyed it. I also enjoyed the little nods to BB like him walking out to the parking lot like he's walking to a white Caddy and getting into the POS car next to it. There were a few others like that.

It's a pretty slow-burn in episode 1, though, particularly if you are coming into this new. I wonder what kind of ratings this will get. I'm sure last night's # is huge but I'm a little concerned. But, I guess Season 2 is already confirmed so who cares.

Yes, The Walking Dead intro will make sure its HUGE

Tonight's numbers will be telling.

Agree with your whole post. It was a slow burn.

I did LOL @ him calling the kids Knuckleheads (I read spoilers and knew what they were being tried for.)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:45 am 

pizza_Place: Piece Pizza and Brewery
BB watchers will stay with it for sure. People who didn't watch BB, I don't know. He's a very funny character, but my enjoyment of the episode was greatly enhanced b/c of BB.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:48 am 
Site Admin

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:

Was that "Heisenberg's Theme" that was playing when he was sitting there watching TV before popping the tape in?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:51 am 

Northside_Dan wrote:
BB watchers will stay with it for sure. People who didn't watch BB, I don't know. He's a very funny character, but my enjoyment of the episode was greatly enhanced b/c of BB.

Ill bet he comes into his own in the next few episodes and it wont matter (the b and b effect) anymore.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:02 am 

pizza_Place: Lucano's
I liked the reveal that the Cadillac wasn't his. What was the name of the car he was driving? They made a point of focusing on the name as he drove away, but the name is escaping me.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:08 am 

Ed_from_Lisle wrote:
I liked the reveal that the Cadillac wasn't his. What was the name of the car he was driving? They made a point of focusing on the name as he drove away, but the name is escaping me.

Esteem :D

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:09 am 

pizza_Place: Lucano's
rogers park bryan wrote:
Ed_from_Lisle wrote:

Esteem :D

Awesome. Thank you.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:12 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
I thought it was pretty good. I'll continue to watch. Wasn't sure what to expect to be honest so was actually
happy that it appears there will be a little substance to the show.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:26 am 

I too thought that episode 1 got off to a somewhat slow start, but it ended very strong. I'm all in on this show and cant wait for tonights episode. I hope they continue to sprinkle the show with BB characters and hints.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:06 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
I enjoyed it. Some funny moments and episode 2 should be intense.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:40 pm 

Nice numbers. More than Breaking Bad used to get by far until the very end of its run.

I'll bet it settles into a nice 3-4 million audience. That would be huge for AMC.

Hitfix wrote:
"Better Call Saul" had the biggest series premiere in cable history (among young viewers) on Sunday (February 8) night and it definitely had absolutely nothing to do with its "Walking Dead" lead-in.

Nope. Absolutely nothing.

AMC is boasting this morning that the series premiere of "Better Call Saul" drew 4.4 million viewers among adults 18-49 in its special 10 p.m. airing on Sunday. The "Breaking Bad" prequel drew 6.9 million viewers in total, including 4.0 million viewers among adults 25-54.

Your previous record-holder? "Deadwood."

How much of that audience will stick around for the "Better Call Saul" premiere in its regular time period tonight?

We'll have to wait and see.

And how many of those viewers were drawn in by the latest midseason premiere for "The Walking Dead"?

A lot. ["Deadwood" got a rather big boost from "The Sopranos."]

"The Walking Dead" drew 15.6 million viewers in its 9 p.m. premiere airing, including 10.1 million viewers in the 18-49 demo. That's up from the 14.8 million viewers and 9.6 million 18-49 who watched the midseason finale in December. It's far below the 17.3 million viewers who watched the premiere in October 2014.

The "Walking Dead" return made it "the biggest regularly-schedule program of 2015, which means not the Super Bowl or the Grammys or the post-Super Bowl "Blacklist," but other stuff.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:04 pm 

i've only seen 1.5 episodes of Breaking Bad, haven't had the time to really get into it. so i can tell you as someone who had no idea about the BB references, it was thoroughly entertaining. i'm definitely on board with this and am looking forward to tonight's episode.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:10 pm 

Wow, big numbers. AMC just keeps on racking up the hits, Breaking Bad, Mad Men, Walking Dead, Better Call Saul. I wonder if Walt &/or Jesse will make a cameo appearance at some point?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
How do they know how many people are watching let alone what age they are? I never understood how.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1420 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 48  Next