It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1420 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 48  Next
 Post subject: Re: Better Call Saul
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:32 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
FavreFan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Also, wasn't this season supposed to highlight Saul post-BB more?

I didn't hear that. I can't imagine there's ever going to be more than a few flash forwards showing little nuggets, like how he still considers himself to be Saul Goodman and not Jimmy McGill(carving "SG was here" on the wall)

In the Talking Sauls after that particular episode Gilligan suggested that was a possibility. He pretty much said they write the show as they go so anything is possible as long as the characters end up in the places we already know they were from Breaking Bad.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:08 am 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
It still doesn't answer anything though. It's like me saying "There's more going on just in calling one play in the context of a given set of downs in a football game than in an entire game plan in other sports." It's simplistic and untrue, just like saying one pitch call is more complex than an entire offensive or defensive game plan in a NFL game.

Pro football, more than any other game is a game of eras. The fat slobs that pass block for the modern drop-back passer couldn't possibly have led the Packer sweep the way Jerry Kramer did. I'm not saying that makes them better or worse. They're just different. But it's not like there are all these different options at the same time. At any given time most teams run the same basic offenses and defenses. And the personnel dictate such. You'll see much more variety in the college game which is one reason I like it better.

You want me to be more specific about the approach contained in a single at-bat? I can be. It's a back and forth made up of many, many tiny gestures. When the batter steps out of the box, it's not incidental. He's attempting to take the pitcher out of his rhythm. When the pitcher holds the ball an extra second. He is attempting to do the same to the batter. And we haven't even discussed an actual pitch yet. Where a particular pitch is supposed to be located, the effect that has on where the fielders need to be, whether the batter is going to make the right guess and what he is going to try to do with a given pitch if he guesses correctly. Not to mention whether the pitcher can actually make the pitch. It's just a very complicated game. Much more complicated than a line stunt.

So baseball is complex because at different times the pitcher and batter go out of their way to waste time in order to throw off someone's rhythm? Ok.

I can come up with examples of this in every other sport. If that's your reasoning as to why baseball is more complex than other team sports I'm not impressed and definitely not convinced.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:53 am 
Site Admin

shakes wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
It still doesn't answer anything though. It's like me saying "There's more going on just in calling one play in the context of a given set of downs in a football game than in an entire game plan in other sports." It's simplistic and untrue, just like saying one pitch call is more complex than an entire offensive or defensive game plan in a NFL game.

Pro football, more than any other game is a game of eras. The fat slobs that pass block for the modern drop-back passer couldn't possibly have led the Packer sweep the way Jerry Kramer did. I'm not saying that makes them better or worse. They're just different. But it's not like there are all these different options at the same time. At any given time most teams run the same basic offenses and defenses. And the personnel dictate such. You'll see much more variety in the college game which is one reason I like it better.

You want me to be more specific about the approach contained in a single at-bat? I can be. It's a back and forth made up of many, many tiny gestures. When the batter steps out of the box, it's not incidental. He's attempting to take the pitcher out of his rhythm. When the pitcher holds the ball an extra second. He is attempting to do the same to the batter. And we haven't even discussed an actual pitch yet. Where a particular pitch is supposed to be located, the effect that has on where the fielders need to be, whether the batter is going to make the right guess and what he is going to try to do with a given pitch if he guesses correctly. Not to mention whether the pitcher can actually make the pitch. It's just a very complicated game. Much more complicated than a line stunt.

So baseball is complex because at different times the pitcher and batter go out of their way to waste time in order to throw off someone's rhythm? Ok.

I can come up with examples of this in every other sport. If that's your reasoning as to why baseball is more complex than other team sports I'm not impressed and definitely not convinced.

But you really can't cite examples of it in every other sport unless we start discussing sumo. The fact that you're not actually fully comprehending all of these subtle rituals is evidence of their complexity. Shaw yelling "burrito!" doesn't count.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:04 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

But you really can't cite examples of it in every other sport unless we start discussing sumo. The fact that you're not actually fully comprehending all of these subtle rituals is evidence of their complexity. Shaw yelling "burrito!" doesn't count.

lol, what complexities am I not understanding? The only evidence you've put out there is that the batter and pitcher try and throw each other off their rhythm. Hardly something unique to baseball. In my sport of choice teams are trying to disrupt the other team's rhythm, focus, momentum all the time, how is that any different? Well I guess one difference is that in hockey players have to make those decisions in a split second during actual game action whereas in baseball the players get downtime every 5 seconds to decide what they are do. That hardly supports your argument that baseball is the most complex.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:19 pm 

like BRick said, recording jimmy won't be admissible. but i don't think that's why chuck recorded him. he wanted to prove to everyone that he was right. that's all. he can't do anything to jimmy without physical evidence that proves anything. i think the idea is to expose him to the people that he is still close to, so that he is alone, his name synonymous with lying and cheating, and that's why he changes his name. although, his face is out there too. i suppose time passes between jimmy mcgill and saul goodman.

i thought the mike sequence was extremely well done. very intense, even though knowing well enough what nacho's doing and that mike gets out OK. still, well shot.

both finales have been a bit disappointing, and while the last one ended a bit contrived, this one just ends a bit flat because we saw that coming a mile away.

the breakdown in front of their mother was significant, i think, to show that there is a soul inside chuck that seems to be almost completely missing in jimmy. but it's interesting that his breakdown in front of jimmy is a work, while his breakdown in front of his mother is completely sincere. and, i noted that she is unconscious when he breaks down like that. i don't know why, it just struck me.

so all in all, i really love this show even though the finales have been a bit lacking. i hope the series finale packs enough of a wallop. the next season has to be the last.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:52 pm 

Holy shit. I missed the open. My DVR began with Jimmy walking up to Chuck sitting in the hallway

Thats why i asked what she said, i thought it was a mystery theyd show later

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:11 am 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
Shakes, you are right. Every sport has this. I can't think of a sport that doesn't. JORR, I think you are a great guy, love your opinions, but maybe you are over-romanticizing baseball in this respect.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:08 am 
Site Admin

newper wrote:
Shakes, you are right. Every sport has this. I can't think of a sport that doesn't. JORR, I think you are a great guy, love your opinions, but maybe you are over-romanticizing baseball in this respect.

I don't believe that's true. What passes for "plays" in hockey, basketball, and soccer usually comes down to "get the ball to the best guy". Football is more complex than that, but still nothing like baseball. That's why if you flip through an NFL Sunday every game looks pretty much the same. In every baseball game you'll see something you've never seen before.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:12 am 
Site Admin

W_Z wrote:
like BRick said, recording jimmy won't be admissible. but i don't think that's why chuck recorded him. he wanted to prove to everyone that he was right. that's all.

But if you're Jimmy, don't you simply say, "Yeah, of course I told him that. I thought it would make him feel better. He's my brother. The guy was covering his house in tinfoil. He was distraught and quitting his law firm. So I told him what he wanted to hear. Think of how crazy that is. I had this elaborate plot to change documents or a guy in a tinfoil hat transposed two numbers in the lantern light. Which is more likely? Now I have to go back and allow the doctor to commit him like she wanted to."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:28 am 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
newper wrote:

BTW, your avatar makes me laugh every time I see it. :lol:

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:54 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
W_Z wrote:
like BRick said, recording jimmy won't be admissible. but i don't think that's why chuck recorded him. he wanted to prove to everyone that he was right. that's all.

But if you're Jimmy, don't you simply say, "Yeah, of course I told him that. I thought it would make him feel better. He's my brother. The guy was covering his house in tinfoil. He was distraught and quitting his law firm. So I told him what he wanted to hear. Think of how crazy that is. I had this elaborate plot to change documents or a guy in a tinfoil hat transposed two numbers in the lantern light. Which is more likely? Now I have to go back and allow the doctor to commit him like she wanted to."

Yea but at the end he did say "besides its my word against yours"
That stomps any doubt he was joking around

Jimmy really doesnt get it. He did the right thing by calling 911 for his bro, but he didnt have to admit to the crime. His bro couldnt do law anyway. The guy really was batshit. Just double down and deny the charge. But i think jimmy did it more for his own ego, because it was watergate dwarfing shit he pulled off and he wanted to rub it in chucks face.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:00 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
W_Z wrote:

i don't think he can talk his way out of this, because it was pretty sleazy and probably the sleaziest thing that anyone besides chuck has seen him do. while chuck has a weird mental illness, jimmy's mental illness is going to look a lot more destructive. and while the recording means nothing in a court of law, it'll mean everything in the court of public opinion...or, everyone jimmy knows around him. and could be used against him elsewhere too i guess.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:03 am 
Site Admin

IkeSouth wrote:
But i think jimmy did it more for his own ego, because it was watergate dwarfing shit he pulled off and he wanted to rub it in chucks face.

That's an interesting take, Ike. Very Walter White-esque.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:05 am 

well, he admitted that he did it for kim. he definitely wanted to get back at chuck, and went through probably the greatest lengths he has to accomplish it.

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
It would be totally unlike Jimmy to try to rub it in Chuck's face.

Would it be too corny to think that there is nothing on the tape when Chuck tries to play it back?
Dead batteries, bad mic, technical difficulty, whatever?

Former host of The Outdoors Experience on WIND and The Great Outdoors on CLTV
http://www.wefishasa.com

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
IkeSouth wrote:
But i think jimmy did it more for his own ego, because it was watergate dwarfing shit he pulled off and he wanted to rub it in chucks face.

That's an interesting take, Ike. Very Walter White-esque.

Interesting but the fact that he didnt do it until Chuck went crazy...er makes me think otherwise.

I feel like Kim is the only one Jimmy cares about and she already knows what he did.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:06 am 

SteveSarley wrote:

Would it be too corny to think that there is nothing on the tape when Chuck tries to play it back?

No, that would be fine for Three's Company or the Brady Bunch.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:07 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Holy shit. I missed the open. My DVR began with Jimmy walking up to Chuck sitting in the hallway

My DVR did the same thing.
I stopped and went to Xfinity on demand to watch it.

SteveSarley wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

My DVR did the same thing.
I stopped and went to Xfinity on demand to watch it.

WTF?

Wanna sue them?

make sure you get the address right.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:08 am 

It kind of annoyed me this season just how much garbage Jimmy took from Chuck.

I would have been done with him a long time ago. Chuck is a horrible brother for being such an obstructionist to anything Jimmy wants to do in his life.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:08 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
SteveSarley wrote:

No, that would be fine for Three's Company or the Brady Bunch.

How dare you use the Brady Bunch in the same sentence as the classic Three's Company?
Mr. Roper is a comedy god!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:09 am 
Site Admin

SteveSarley wrote:

True, but I don't think he's exactly Jimmy anymore. He's not quite Saul yet, but he's well on the way. And you can't imagine early Walter White in his chem lab wanting people to give him credit for cooking meth, but once he became Heisenberg he wanted people to know.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:09 am 

W_Z wrote:
make sure you get the address right.

:lol:

I loved that scene. Chuck being so sure that he was right and the people who are buying the place and have been there several times were wrong is perfect for his character.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:10 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:

I would have been done with him a long time ago. Chuck is a horrible brother for being such an obstructionist to anything Jimmy wants to do in his life.

Yea, Chuck is a bad guy.

But Jimmy feels sorry for him. I wonder if Jimmy had a hand in whatever made Chuck go electric crazy?
That would explain it.

Because yea, after finding out he told Howard not to hire him way back, that would have been it for me.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:15 am 

Jimmy doesn't even know that Chuck kept it a secret that their mother called out for Jimmy on her death bed.
He doesn't know that Chuck told Kim that Jimmy's larceny caused their father to lose the store that he loved so much.
Chuck has screwed Jimmy over behind his back in addition to what Jimmy is aware of.
By the way, do you think Jimmy really screwed up his dad's business or was Chuck just hurting Jimmy by telling a phony story to Kim?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:19 am 

SteveSarley wrote:
Jimmy doesn't even know that Chuck kept it a secret that their mother called out for Jimmy on her death bed.
He doesn't know that Chuck told Kim that Jimmy's larceny caused their father to lose the store that he loved so much.
Chuck has screwed Jimmy over behind his back in addition to what Jimmy is aware of.
By the way, do you think Jimmy really screwed up his dad's business or was Chuck just hurting Jimmy by telling a phony story to Kim?

No way. Its gonna end up that money paid for Chucks law school or something

Although that would make Chuck 100% the bad guy and Gilligan loves to keep people half loveable and half hateable so that might be over the top

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:39 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
newper wrote:

I don't believe that's true. What passes for "plays" in hockey, basketball, and soccer usually comes down to "get the ball to the best guy". Football is more complex than that, but still nothing like baseball. That's why if you flip through an NFL Sunday every game looks pretty much the same. In every baseball game you'll see something you've never seen before.

Ok, I just learned that JORR doesn't understand a helluva lot of sports.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:43 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Funny you say that cause on Talking Saul, Jonathan Banks (Mike) turned to Gilligan and basically said the same thing. Sounded like he was annoyed as well that Jimmy and Chuck hadn't written each other off yet. Said that family is family, but at some point you have to cut someone out of your life if they are causing you nothing but pain and grief. It was like he was trying to give Gilligan a push to advance the story a bit.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:57 am 

shakes wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Funny you say that cause on Talking Saul, Jonathan Banks (Mike) turned to Gilligan and basically said the same thing. Sounded like he was annoyed as well that Jimmy and Chuck hadn't written each other off yet. Said that family is family, but at some point you have to cut someone out of your life if they are causing you nothing but pain and grief. It was like he was trying to give Gilligan a push to advance the story a bit.

He doesnt want to push out the best actor on the show (Odenkirk and Banks are both great but McKean is better)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1420 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 48  Next