It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:59 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:37 am 

There wasn't much hype behind this, which either means they wanted to sneak it past the woke crowd...or they didn't have much faith in it.

I've watched the first episode. It's very scattershot. There are some laughs, a few big ones...and then there's some real dead areas. I think the weakest sketch was Shakespeare. It didn't really have a focus. My favorite was the Lincoln/Grant sketch just because it had so many odd jokes about Grant's drinking and Lincoln's tallness.

The anachronisms are pretty funny for the most part (Anastasia Romanov using a form of TikTok), but some fall flat as well.

Seeing as we live in an all-or-nothing world, I'm sure this is either getting high praise or high damnation but it's just...watchable enough for me so far.

Two episodes were released yesterday, and then one each day this week. Probably will just go one at a time. Each episode is 30 minutes.

Also, I like that they had a "Jackass" bit.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:53 am 

sounds kind of like part one

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:29 am 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
read a review where its pretty lazy comedy and explicitly inoffensive to avoid the Woke crowd

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 2:00 pm 

I was looking forward to this…in 1989.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 4:53 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
I was looking forward to this…in 1989.

i feel like there was a better angle to go with, instead of just making one of his joke sequels come true. i really hope they don't do "spaceballs 2" with rivers and candy long dead, and moranis retired from acting.

maybe they could've done a whole retrospective/mockumentary/homage with Mel being brought into writing rooms and streaming services to pitch these sequels seriously and sketches in between could have been representations of what could have been. then you bring back references (an exec asking mel to "walk this way" into his office, for example), and you can poke fun at some of his more weak efforts (pitching "dracula: dead and STILL loving it").

i think there's A) more material to have fun with, and not be tied down to a specific project and B) allow Mel to have one last appearance in something that would be a nice finale, appreciating his whole legacy while also having a sense of humor about it (which i know he does).

i'll keep watching this because it's delivered in pretty easy doses but that just struck me after thinking about it. this whole thing could've been a missed opportunity.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:20 am 

Mel is beyond legendary at this point but his humor, even in his prime, is very borscht belty

It can be really funny or it can be really hacky

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 9:46 am 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
watched one of these last night. painfully not funny. and I enjoy mel brooks movies.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:38 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
Brooks is 96 years old. I'm sure he's not doing much of the writing, and if he is, he's well past his prime.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:17 am 

i've watched through episode III. still retains the same energy and laugh spectrum. "curb your judaism" goes on too long but is a funny idea, and i appreciate the use of the music.

the underground railroad being a new york subway station is a funny sight gag but not much is done with it.

i think there are 8 total episodes, released through today. i guess i'll finish it.

i read AV Club's review and while it's a pretentious read (they reviewer really didn't like the show), there's an appropriate comparison to "drunk history".

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 3:25 pm 

the only thing worse than AV Club articles is their comments section. thats where the true pretentiousness lives

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 4:21 pm 

SuperNintendoHjalmarsson wrote:
the only thing worse than AV Club articles is their comments section. thats where the true pretentiousness lives

all comments sections went to hell about 11 years ago. yahoo had to pull them for a while when the heat was on, but they're back now. and just full of dumb.

AV Club had the BEST comments section for a few years in the aughts. it's a shame.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 5:17 pm 

its all a bunch of self righteous keyboard warriors who think theyre all so clever, they should be working for AV Club or The Onion.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:01 am 

This doesn't even have the vibe of Part I.

There is so much talent assembled but it feels like they all came together as a tribute to Brooks rather than a belief in the quality of the work. It's like an all star game. Nick Kroll seems to be doing his own tribute to Gilbert

It doesn't suck. It's just underwhelming considering the source material and the talent. Not bad enough to turn off once you turn it on but not necessarily good enough to return to