It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Daredevil
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:55 am 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Surprised nobody is talking about this.

Season 1 released today on Netflix. The first of several Netflix series all tied in to the Marvel Cinematic/Television Universe. Pretty dark compared to some of the other Marvel stuff as of late. Daredevil seems to just basically beat the living shit out of people. He's played by the Irish dude from Boardwalk Empire. Vincent Denofrio plays The Kingpin which should be great (he doesn't appear in the first episode, which is all I've seen thus far). No red suit yet, no cool stick(s) but so far so good.

Post subject: Re: Daredevil
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:25 am 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
Been looking forward to this since it was announced. Sounds like its another winner from Netflix.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:41 am 

ill watch it just because the studio is netflix

they havent made a bad series yet. its like they cant do wrong

i know netflix themselves have no idea how to make a tv show, but they either found a really good group of people to run that division or they are paying a tremendous amount of money. and in any case, it seems clear their instructions are "do whatever you want. just make it awesome"

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:48 pm 

pizza_Place: Positanos on 55th Street
Krazy Ivan wrote:

Season 1 released today on Netflix. The first of several Netflix series all tied in to the Marvel Cinematic/Television Universe. Pretty dark compared to some of the other Marvel stuff as of late. Daredevil seems to just basically beat the living shit out of people. He's played by the Irish dude from Boardwalk Empire. Vincent Denofrio plays The Kingpin which should be great (he doesn't appear in the first episode, which is all I've seen thus far). No red suit yet, no cool stick(s) but so far so good.

Love that bit of casting. I had always imagined a Roseanne era Goodman as the perfect Kingpin, but I'm willing to bet Denofrio nails it. Dude can play wallpaper and make you believe.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:51 pm 

Affleck was better.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Phils' on 35th all you need to know
Douchebag wrote:
Affleck was better.

Affleck was the bomb in Phantoms.

Serious I thought he was decent if not real good in it. Him and Ferrell where gold the rest where crap. The story suffered from character overload.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:43 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
True story?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:18 am 

I'm 2 episodes in and so far so good.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:01 am 

I'm up to episode 5. I love Denofrio's portrayal of the Kingpin so far. I'm so glad they've had him get physical. That's the Kingpin I know and love. Charlie Cox is solid as well and I would marry Rosario Dawson if I could.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:34 am 

Matches Malone wrote:
I'm up to episode 5. I love Denofrio's portrayal of the Kingpin so far. I'm so glad they've had him get physical. That's the Kingpin I know and love. Charlie Cox is solid as well and I would marry Rosario Dawson if I could.

I loved the season. Cox and Denofrio can act their asses off. I actually ended up feeling empathy for Kingpin. FUCKIN' KINGPIN! Crazy talk. Next season needs more Rosario Dawson. Hopefully she can work out a deal with the Bears where they'll let her shoot a few more episodes in the year.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:30 pm 

Krazy Ivan wrote:
Matches Malone wrote:

I loved the season. Cox and Denofrio can act their asses off. I actually ended up feeling empathy for Kingpin. FUCKIN' KINGPIN! Crazy talk. Next season needs more Rosario Dawson. Hopefully she can work out a deal with the Bears where they'll let her shoot a few more episodes in the year.

Took me a few seconds.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:36 pm 

pizza_Place: my house
On episode 10 now. Loving this.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:35 pm 

two episodes in. i agree, this is gonna be a thing.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:39 pm 

3 episodes in and enjoying it. Still waiting for the suit.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:21 am 

Finished up Season 1 and thought it was fantastic.

*POSSIBLE SPOILERS BELOW*

As a viewer, I greatly appreciated the serious tone and nature of the show. For me, the Marvel movies have always had one too many one liners and jokes that just fall flat, but to each his own. I thought Daredevil took itself seriously and it comes across as great storytelling because of it.

The highlight is Denofrio as The Kingpin. I love his portrayal and the episode which focuses on his backstory is extremely well done. The use of music and food make for a tremendous peek into the mind of Wison Fisk. Charlie Cox is very, very solid as Murdock. I was as bit apprehensive when his casting was first announced, but I think he's done a fine job. Foggy is well, Foggy. No gripes there. No real complaints with any of the cast. Rosario Dawson can do no wrong in my book and props to Scott Glenn for still getting it done in his seventies.

The show itself I thought was very slick looking. Doesn't seem as though they went cheap anywhere and I applaud that. Would've been very easy to cut some corners but thankfully they didn't. The fight sequences were well choreographed and evolved each episode which I thought was a nice touch to show the evolution of Matt's fighting style.

The two showdowns between Daredevil and Kingpin were good viewing, especially the first one. I love that this Kingpin is extremely physical, which is the way I always want him portrayed. You don't f**k with Wison Fisk and if you do, there are dire consequences. Heads will literally roll if you step out of line.

My only complaint, and it's a minor one, though I'm sure it might be considered major to some, is the outfit. It's explained and I understand why it's a dark maroon, but much like the Flash's TV costume, I want it to be more of a bright red. That's what my head always took away from the comics and that's what I was hoping for here. The mask itself seems just a bit jarring the first time you see it up close. I think they could have used a better design, but again, it's just one man's opinion.

I couldn't recommend this show more. Those who know the character will love it, and I'm sure those unfamiliar with trials and tribulations of Hell's Kitchen's best defense attorney will come to love it if they give it a chance.

Happy Viewing.

Last edited by Matches Malone on Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:03 am 

Double post.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:36 pm 

I have a question... does daredevil's parter lawyer guy know his partner is a superhero? i cant really tell... i dont think he knows

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:59 pm 

apparently 'the guy with no name' also came to the daredevil lawyers by a fluke? he has no idea hes doing business with daredevil... that seems weird, hes a really smart bad guy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:01 pm 

IkeSouth wrote:
apparently 'the guy with no name' also came to the daredevil lawyers by a fluke? he has no idea hes doing business with daredevil... that seems weird, hes a really smart bad guy

He goes there with the thought process of these two young lawyers are clean and nobody has heard of them. Therefore it won't come back to us.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:38 pm 

yeah exactly and when the vampire girl goes to the editor with her story it just happens to be the editor that was trying to convince his boss that there was a story?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:31 am 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
Krazy Ivan wrote:

To each's own,but this series sucked so bad,I gave up midway through the 2nd episode. Too dark,too talky,too boring. Marvel has really watered down their product.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:41 pm 

i thought it started well, then got a little weak, then mid-3/4 way was pretty damn good, then last episode was pretty lame.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:06 pm 
1000 CLUB

D'Nofrio is such a great, over the top actor.

Let's do it for Johnny!

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 11:33 am 

Dallas Winston wrote:

He shines when he plays a mentally unstable person, for sure.

I fear the other netflix/marvel series (Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, Iron Fist) won't even come close to the bar set by Daredevil. It's always difficult to do a movie, let alone a show that involves a main character with super powers. I hope they find a way to keep the same edge Daredevil has.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 1:46 pm 

Krazy Ivan wrote:
Dallas Winston wrote:

He shines when he plays a mentally unstable person, for sure.

I fear the other netflix/marvel series (Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, Iron Fist) won't even come close to the bar set by Daredevil. It's always difficult to do a movie, let alone a show that involves a main character with super powers. I hope they find a way to keep the same edge Daredevil has.

FWIW, I read the comic that Jessica Jones is based on and its really good and got a lot of praise.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 2:27 pm 

you talking about "alias", shakes?

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 6:23 pm 

Finished the first season today. The final episode was not that great. I was expecting some cliff hangers for next season and basically bla bla. He flips and kicks and saved his city. (Why are superheros always only concerned about THEIR city. What about the rest of the world. I mean at least cover your state.)

Pretty predictable, but entertaining. I hate that douche Foggy. Hope they kill him off next season. Why is Murdock taking so long to bang the blonde chick?

Hopefully season two, introduces some new villains.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 11:22 pm 

the season staarted great and ended weak. fisks voice is horrible... why did they keep him alive

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 10:24 am 

W_Z wrote:
you talking about "alias", shakes?

Yep.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 10:33 am 

Finished this yesterday. Gotta say I was a little underwhelmed with the series. Couldn't put my finger on it at first, but then realized that the problem was that the show was lacking fun. Its a super hero show, its supposed to be fun. This was depressing. Every conversation was dark, dreary and depressing. No light hearted moments, no comedy. Foggy was supposed to be the comedic part of the show, but by the halfway point he was just a whiny blubbering fool. Vampire chick seemed to be crying in every scene.

I also think the story lacked coherency. I never really understood what the Kingpin was up to. what was his plan for the city? Just to build nice condos? Talk about a super villain!

And this show really lacked in the villains/cameos department. You watch Arrow or Flash or Gotham and every episode I find myself going online and checking out the comic references made in the show. This show had 1 villain and very few cameos from the comics.

And lastly, I think it was a mistake to wait until the last 20 minutes of the season to unveil the Daredevil costume.

Still enjoyed it overall and looking forward to seeing where it goes, but hopefully they pick up the pace in season 2. I would imagine with the other new shows coming up they will start connecting them all. I believe there will be a team up show with all these characters, but I hope the cross overs isn't limited to just that specific team up show.