It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Daredevil
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 10:39 am 

pizza_Place: Ian's Pizza
shakes wrote:
Finished this yesterday. Gotta say I was a little underwhelmed with the series. Couldn't put my finger on it at first, but then realized that the problem was that the show was lacking fun. Its a super hero show, its supposed to be fun. This was depressing. Every conversation was dark, dreary and depressing. No light hearted moments, no comedy. Foggy was supposed to be the comedic part of the show, but by the halfway point he was just a whiny blubbering fool. Vampire chick seemed to be crying in every scene.

I also think the story lacked coherency. I never really understood what the Kingpin was up to. what was his plan for the city? Just to build nice condos? Talk about a super villain!

And this show really lacked in the villains/cameos department. You watch Arrow or Flash or Gotham and every episode I find myself going online and checking out the comic references made in the show. This show had 1 villain and very few cameos from the comics.

And lastly, I think it was a mistake to wait until the last 20 minutes of the season to unveil the Daredevil costume.

Still enjoyed it overall and looking forward to seeing where it goes, but hopefully they pick up the pace in season 2. I would imagine with the other new shows coming up they will start connecting them all. I believe there will be a team up show with all these characters, but I hope the cross overs isn't limited to just that specific team up show.

I loved that this didn't have the fun... I thought it was nice to get away from the other formula. And while there wasn't as much laughing, the fight scenes were so awesome. Have re-watched that hallway battle multiple times. One of my favorites.

I loved Kingpin. I loved the shroud of mystery around him and who he was. Big fan.

If you google easter eggs, they definitely reference other characters (Matt mentioning a certian ex-girlfriend in the flashback scene at law school, for example). I think the tie ins to Jessica Jones and Luke Cage and then ultimately the Defenders will also satisfy this need.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 10:46 am 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
Bucky Chris wrote:
shakes wrote:
Finished this yesterday. Gotta say I was a little underwhelmed with the series. Couldn't put my finger on it at first, but then realized that the problem was that the show was lacking fun. Its a super hero show, its supposed to be fun. This was depressing. Every conversation was dark, dreary and depressing. No light hearted moments, no comedy. Foggy was supposed to be the comedic part of the show, but by the halfway point he was just a whiny blubbering fool. Vampire chick seemed to be crying in every scene.

I also think the story lacked coherency. I never really understood what the Kingpin was up to. what was his plan for the city? Just to build nice condos? Talk about a super villain!

And this show really lacked in the villains/cameos department. You watch Arrow or Flash or Gotham and every episode I find myself going online and checking out the comic references made in the show. This show had 1 villain and very few cameos from the comics.

And lastly, I think it was a mistake to wait until the last 20 minutes of the season to unveil the Daredevil costume.

Still enjoyed it overall and looking forward to seeing where it goes, but hopefully they pick up the pace in season 2. I would imagine with the other new shows coming up they will start connecting them all. I believe there will be a team up show with all these characters, but I hope the cross overs isn't limited to just that specific team up show.

I loved that this didn't have the fun... I thought it was nice to get away from the other formula. And while there wasn't as much laughing, the fight scenes were so awesome. Have re-watched that hallway battle multiple times. One of my favorites.

I loved Kingpin. I loved the shroud of mystery around him and who he was. Big fan.

If you google easter eggs, they definitely reference other characters (Matt mentioning a certian ex-girlfriend in the flashback scene at law school, for example). I think the tie ins to Jessica Jones and Luke Cage and then ultimately the Defenders will also satisfy this need.

I liked Kingpin as well, but he wasn't enough to carry an entire season in terms of villains. He also never had his signature cane/gun which annoyed me. Wanted to see that.

Show needed more flashbacks similar to Arrow, something to break up the monotony of watching people cry for an hour every episode. We didn't get enough of Murdock's origin. The flashback episode with Scott Glenn was great, but that didn't explain how Murdock went from 10 year old kid learning his powers to Daredevil. Story needed more of that.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 8:27 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Finished this up. I don't know anything about comic Daredevil.

The fight scenes were amazing. The best I've ever seen on a TV show.

The rest....pretty underwhelming. Logical inconsistencies, weird motivations, incoherent storylines....I liked Kingpin, though. That guy knocked it out of the park.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 4:27 pm 

jimmypasta wrote:
Krazy Ivan wrote:
Surprised nobody is talking about this.

Season 1 released today on Netflix. The first of several Netflix series all tied in to the Marvel Cinematic/Television Universe. Pretty dark compared to some of the other Marvel stuff as of late. Daredevil seems to just basically beat the living shit out of people. He's played by the Irish dude from Boardwalk Empire. Vincent Denofrio plays The Kingpin which should be great (he doesn't appear in the first episode, which is all I've seen thus far). No red suit yet, no cool stick(s) but so far so good.

To each's own,but this series sucked so bad,I gave up midway through the 2nd episode. Too dark,too talky,too boring. Marvel has really watered down their product.

Boy, talk about bad timing! You definitely should have finished that episode.

I binged this thing over the weekend. I loved it.

The landowner effectively owns part shares in millions of part-time slaves called, "taxpayers." -Roy L
A Personal Relationship with Jesus?

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 2:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
It is getting terrible reviews. I am so happy.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 2:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
1/2 way through it. It's okay, good enough that I'll finish it eventually. But yeah, the grimdark wears on you. I love dark, The Crow is one of my top three "superhero" movies, but a TV season with 13+ episodes of it needs some tonal breaks. I like the actors, Fisk is great, Murdock works well, the newspaper guy is good, I really like Fisk's assistant, and the Vanessa is smoking in those white dresses. I'd probably like Foggy more if the hearing the name Foggy didn't make me want to punch him. Wish the Russians stuck around longer. Leland at least provides some humor in the series so far.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 3:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Ian's Pizza
IMU wrote:

No it's not

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 4:39 pm 

pizza_Place: Papa Johns
Bucky Chris wrote:
IMU wrote:

No it's not

Yeah, it's not.

http://www.metacritic.com/tv/marvels-daredevil

75 total

17 positive
5 mixed.

It's a pretty great show, not perfect or anything but highly enjoyable.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Season 2 dropped today.

They did a good job with The Punisher so far (through 8 episodes).

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:50 pm 

That sounds...unhealthy.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 3:22 pm 

I'm 2 eps in and the only way I can make this show bearable is if I fast forward through all the scenes with Foggy, Karen and Matt. They might be the 3 most depressing characters on television. The pacing on this show is beyond awful, both of the first 2 episodes could've easily been half hour instead of an hour. So much useless dialogue filler.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 3:26 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
I just finished episode 3. I think it's the best episode of the series.

That fight scene. Amazing.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:44 pm 

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:

Just finished ep. 3. I liked the way the fight scene basically accentuated the point Punisher was making. DD kept knocking them down and they kept getting back up for more. He must've fought and knocked down the same guys 6 or 7 times each.

Once again I fast forwarded through all scenes with Foggy and Karen which made the episode bearable. At least Murdock wasn't in the episode so that was one less stiff to have to deal with.

I found the debate on the roof between Carol and Morgan to be, like every other scene in this show, dragged out way too long.

And what's the big revelation at the end, that Punisher has a hole in his head?

Gonna slog my way through the rest of these just so I can watch the other shows in the family.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:33 am 

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:

That's how far along I am. Terrific. Even better than the first season's signature fight-scene (also ep 3?).

The landowner effectively owns part shares in millions of part-time slaves called, "taxpayers." -Roy L
A Personal Relationship with Jesus?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:08 am 

This show finally got entertaining when Elektra showed up. Exactly what this show needed, a charismatic FUNNY character. Also having Punisher around gives this show more characters and stories to show so we're not stuck with an hour of the boring triplets law firm. DD isn't interesting enough to carry a show by himself, he needs the Punisher and Elektra to add excitement to his boring ass.

I think I'm 6 episodes in and its finally picking up the pace.

I'm hoping we get some Punisher in jail action, that would be awesome.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:47 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
This show has way too much fighting. It's basically a non-stop fight scene. Ninjas everywhere. Mob bosses being slaughtered. here should not be any villains left with the number put in the morgue or the hospital. Also, love that Daredevil is so anti-killing, yet fine with bashing people's faces in. Have to think a few might have died from that.

The Karen-Matt love angle is painful. Needed more Elektra, less 10-minute punch-outs with random ninjas. It's well made, fairly well acted, but the writing is holding it back.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:56 am 

That is an interesting angle.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:15 am 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
Gave up on this dreck in the first season. Waaay too dark and boring. Jessica Jones more of the same. This dark stuff I can handle for awhile but add in boring and forget it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:52 pm 

jimmypasta wrote:
Gave up on this dreck in the first season. Waaay too dark and boring. Jessica Jones more of the same. This dark stuff I can handle for awhile but add in boring and forget it.

I agree with you on DD, but Jessica Jones was fantastic. It also had some comedy in it which makes a big difference. And a MUCH better villain than Fisk.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 1:09 pm 

Finished season 2 over the weekend. Gotta say the show did a really good job rebounding from the underwhelming first season and the slow start to season 2. Once Elektra showed up and Punisher went to Kingpin's prison things really picked up. Not coincidentally, that's around the same time Foggy got less and less screen time.

Really liked the final 2/3 of the season. One small complaint...why do they always wait till the last episode to break out the cool gear? Last year he didn't get his costume to the finale and then in season 2 he doesn't get his trademark kick ass stick and rope weapon doo-hickey til the finale.

Looking forward to Luke Cage, not so sure about Iron Fist though.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 3:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
WaitingforRuffcorn wrote:
This show has way too much fighting.

:lol:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:05 am 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:01 pm 

Jbi11s wrote:

that's fine, but if they're gonna bring in anyone from that universe it should be Jessica Jones. Her and Peter Parker went to the same high school in the comics (although in the MCU PP appears to go to some smart kid school and I doubt JJ went there).

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:51 am 

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 4:35 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 8:04 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Colombo's
"Let go" is a nice way to put it they were 6 episodes in to an 18 episode season. They were fired. Its amazing how inept this company is. They had the Netflix show to build off and still managed to screw this up. Its even worse because they used a show about a deaf girl with no legs called Echo to launch the series. That show is so bad Disney doesn't want to release it but they had to because of Daredevil. So they shot 8 episodes of Echo and 6 episodes of Daredevil before they realized they had a problem. :lol: