It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Creed
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:33 pm 

It's going to be nice to once again be able to say "Creed is awesome" without disdain from others.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:34 pm 

Maybe Ill see it on Black Friday

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Angelo's Pizza in Downers Grove
rogers park bryan wrote:

racist

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:39 pm 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
rogers park bryan wrote:

You would.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:42 pm 

spmack wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

You would.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
:lol: I'll see you at Ceres.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Four hours away....and on fire :-(
I welcome seeing this movie with arms wide open. Though, if it sucks, the theater will feel like my own prison.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:08 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
newper wrote:

I'm not offended by homosexuality. In the '60s, I made love to many, many women, often outdoors, in the mud and the rain, and it's possible a man slipped in. There would be no way of knowing.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:10 pm 

pizza_Place: Angelo's Pizza in Downers Grove
redskingreg wrote:
I welcome seeing this movie with arms wide open. Though, if it sucks, the theater will feel like my own prison.

Bad.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
redskingreg wrote:

:shaking:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Four hours away....and on fire :-(
Big Chicagoan wrote:
redskingreg wrote:

Bad.

Well, yeah, it is a Creed reference. What do you expect?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:51 pm 

Will definitely be seeing this sometime the weekend of Thanksgiving. Can't wait!

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:39 pm 

Is Michael B. Jordan like the default young black actor now? His contorted, angst-filled face is in everything. Don't care for him even though he's been in two of my favorite shows of the last decade. Kenard should have played Apollo's son. Wallace was a bitch.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:24 pm 

Zizou wrote:
Is Michael B. Jordan like the default young black actor now? His contorted, angst-filled face is in everything. Don't care for him even though he's been in two of my favorite shows of the last decade. Kenard should have played Apollo's son. Wallace was a bitch.

Kenard is Clubber Lang's trainers Grandson

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
Let me know when Creed, Jr. defeats a steroid-ridden, freakishly large Russian specimen, changes the hearts and minds of millions, and ends the Cold War. Then I'll go watch.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:35 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
leashyourkids wrote:
Let me know when Creed, Jr. defeats a steroid-ridden, freakishly large Russian specimen, changes the hearts and minds of millions, and ends the Cold War. Then I'll go watch.

He's going to fight a monstrous Syrian in Creed 3.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
Terry's Peeps wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

He's going to fight a monstrous Syrian in Creed 3.

Brigitte Nielsen gets so pissed at the presser, she takes her veil off.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:48 am 

There is some spoilerish stuff here but it explains a couple things (the age thing )

‘Creed’ Is The Best ‘Rocky’ Movie Since The Original ’Rocky’
BY: MIKE RYAN 11.18.15 • 4 COMMENTS
FACEBOOK TWITTER EMAIL
Creed Review
WARNER BROS.

Have you watched the original Rocky lately? It’s kind of remarkable just how great that movie is and how different it is from the other Rocky movies. We all know it won an Academy Award for Best Picture, but I feel that’s just some piece of information we all know is true, but don’t spend a lot of time thinking about why. I mean, Rocky beat All The President’s Men, Taxi Driver, and Network — cases could be made for all of these movies, but this isn’t a, “How in the world did Rocky win?” situation: Rocky absolutely deserves to be in the conversation with those other films.

Imagine there were a Taxi Driver 4. In Taxi Driver 4, after a drug deal gone wrong, Iris Steensma is critically injured, so Travis Bickle travels to the Soviet Union to wreck havoc on the men who injured Iris. This leads to the famous exchange, “You talking to me, comrade? You talking to me? Well, dasvidaniya, punk!” At the end of the movie, Travis Bickle ends the Cold War. Now, I wrote all that as something preposterous, but part of me thinks this would be immensely entertaining. But if someone told you the plot of Rocky IV in 1976, it would sound just as ludicrous. In Rocky, Rocky Balboa is a streetwise punk who breaks people’s thumbs for extra cash. In Rocky IV, Rocky Balboa owns a talking robot.

No matter how much we might like the Rocky franchise, the sequels still dilute how we perceive the original. The last act of Rocky II is great, but the rest of the movie is a bit of a slog. I loved Rocky III as a child – hey. Mr. T and Hulk Hogan – but it doesn’t really hold up when watching as an adult. Rocky IV is insanely entertaining, but it’s a different genre. Rocky V is terrible. And Rocky Balboa is nice enough, in a, “Well, at least the last Rocky movie isn’t Rocky V,” kind of way.

This brings us to Creed, hands down the best Rocky movie since the original and a film that should legitimately be in the Academy Award conversation, just like the original Rocky. When I’ve told people how good this movie is, I’m met with shock. This is because people aren’t remembering Rocky, they are remembering the Rocky franchise. This is understandable, but that mindset has to be tweaked for Creed.

It’s kind of amazing that no one else has tried to make a movie about the son of Apollo Creed (played by Carl Weathers in the first four Rocky films) until now. It’s good that a director like Ryan Coogler (who directed the terrific Fruitvale Station) got on board. And it’s fortunate that a no-brainer movie like Creed was still around for someone like Coogler — a director who knows what he’s doing and knows these characters — to make

We first meet young Adonis Creed in the late ‘90s – we find out he’s the result of an affair Apollo had shortly before Apollo’s death. As a result he has no real family, so he’s been in and out of foster care his whole life. After another altercation at a juvenile detention center, he meets Apollo’s widow (Phylicia Rashād), who, finally coming to grips with Apollo’s infidelity, invites Adonis to live with her.

We smash-cut to the present where Adonis Johnson (Michael B. Jordan), using his biological mother’s last name, has a nine-to-five at a Los Angeles investment firm. He just got promoted, but he dreams of being a fighter, often driving to Tijuana to participate in back-alley boxing matches. With no one interested in training Adonis – his father’s old team refuses, pointing out that Adonis has a good life and doesn’t need to wind up dead like “his daddy” – he moves to Philadelphia and tracks down a reluctant Rocky Balboa.

This is the first time I’ve truly believed Sylvester Stallone as Rocky Balboa since the original film. Stallone is legitimately wonderful. It was hard to tell from the trailers if Stallone plays a big role in Creed or if it’s a glorified cameo, but Stallone is is a major presence in this film. Stallone himself directed Rocky II, Rocky III, Rocky IV, and Rocky Balboa. It’s amazing what happens when a talented director like Coogler is calling the shots: Coogler gets the best performance I’ve seen out of Stallone since… (I’m looking through Stallone’s filmography right now, trying to find something sort of recent as to not be too hyperbolic … still looking … still looking … okay, maybe Cop Land, let’s go with that instead of writing that it’s the original Rocky) …Cop Land. And before that, it’s probably the original Rocky.

(I’d be remiss if I didn’t mention the film’s score, which teases us with variations of the famous Rocky theme over and over. When the main theme finally kics in, it will make you want to do a fist pump. It’s timed perfectly.)

This plot point is revealed in the trailer, but if you want to be totally spoiler-free and haven’t seen the trailer, this is your warning: A big reason Creed works is the duality of two separate fights we see. Yes, we watch young Adonis try to make it as a boxer (Jordan, too, is excellent and should be considered a Best Actor contender), but Rocky is sick. And while Creed fights for his pride, Rocky fights for his life. There’s a true connection between these two men – an emotional connection that left me tearing up multiple times during the film’s last act. I did not expect to cry during what is essentially Rocky 7, but I did.

Jordan is great. Stallone is great. Tessa Thompson, a musician who plays Creed’s love interest, is great. Coogler nails every beat. Everything feels earned. Adonis Creed is fighting under the shadow of his father’s legacy. Creed is fighting against the legacy of the Rocky sequels. In the end, Creed is a true champion.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:50 am 

Why isn't Ronda Rousey playing Apollo's son?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:51 am 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
This guy has this movie at Oscar-level quality -

Quote:
There is a single line of dialogue in "Creed," late in the film, delivered by Michael B. Jordan, where the entire film comes into focus, and in that moment, the movie absolutely broke me. Whatever I expected from what is, technically speaking, the seventh film in the "Rocky" series, it wasn't this, and I suspect that both Jordan and writer/director Ryan Coogler are going to be very busy once people see what they've done here. It is far better than it needs to be, far better than I expected it to be, and far better than any franchise deserves this far into it.

http://www.hitfix.com/motion-captured/review-michael-b-jordan-stands-tall-with-rockys-help-in-the-excellent-creed

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:54 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
There is some spoilerish stuff here but it explains a couple things (the age thing )

‘Creed’ Is The Best ‘Rocky’ Movie Since The Original ’Rocky’
BY: MIKE RYAN 11.18.15 • 4 COMMENTS
FACEBOOK TWITTER EMAIL
Creed Review
WARNER BROS.

Have you watched the original Rocky lately? It’s kind of remarkable just how great that movie is and how different it is from the other Rocky movies. We all know it won an Academy Award for Best Picture, but I feel that’s just some piece of information we all know is true, but don’t spend a lot of time thinking about why. I mean, Rocky beat All The President’s Men, Taxi Driver, and Network — cases could be made for all of these movies, but this isn’t a, “How in the world did Rocky win?” situation: Rocky absolutely deserves to be in the conversation with those other films.

Imagine there were a Taxi Driver 4. In Taxi Driver 4, after a drug deal gone wrong, Iris Steensma is critically injured, so Travis Bickle travels to the Soviet Union to wreck havoc on the men who injured Iris. This leads to the famous exchange, “You talking to me, comrade? You talking to me? Well, dasvidaniya, punk!” At the end of the movie, Travis Bickle ends the Cold War. Now, I wrote all that as something preposterous, but part of me thinks this would be immensely entertaining. But if someone told you the plot of Rocky IV in 1976, it would sound just as ludicrous. In Rocky, Rocky Balboa is a streetwise punk who breaks people’s thumbs for extra cash. In Rocky IV, Rocky Balboa owns a talking robot.

No matter how much we might like the Rocky franchise, the sequels still dilute how we perceive the original. The last act of Rocky II is great, but the rest of the movie is a bit of a slog. I loved Rocky III as a child – hey. Mr. T and Hulk Hogan – but it doesn’t really hold up when watching as an adult. Rocky IV is insanely entertaining, but it’s a different genre. Rocky V is terrible. And Rocky Balboa is nice enough, in a, “Well, at least the last Rocky movie isn’t Rocky V,” kind of way.

This brings us to Creed, hands down the best Rocky movie since the original and a film that should legitimately be in the Academy Award conversation, just like the original Rocky. When I’ve told people how good this movie is, I’m met with shock. This is because people aren’t remembering Rocky, they are remembering the Rocky franchise. This is understandable, but that mindset has to be tweaked for Creed.

It’s kind of amazing that no one else has tried to make a movie about the son of Apollo Creed (played by Carl Weathers in the first four Rocky films) until now. It’s good that a director like Ryan Coogler (who directed the terrific Fruitvale Station) got on board. And it’s fortunate that a no-brainer movie like Creed was still around for someone like Coogler — a director who knows what he’s doing and knows these characters — to make

We first meet young Adonis Creed in the late ‘90s – we find out he’s the result of an affair Apollo had shortly before Apollo’s death. As a result he has no real family, so he’s been in and out of foster care his whole life. After another altercation at a juvenile detention center, he meets Apollo’s widow (Phylicia Rashād), who, finally coming to grips with Apollo’s infidelity, invites Adonis to live with her.

We smash-cut to the present where Adonis Johnson (Michael B. Jordan), using his biological mother’s last name, has a nine-to-five at a Los Angeles investment firm. He just got promoted, but he dreams of being a fighter, often driving to Tijuana to participate in back-alley boxing matches. With no one interested in training Adonis – his father’s old team refuses, pointing out that Adonis has a good life and doesn’t need to wind up dead like “his daddy” – he moves to Philadelphia and tracks down a reluctant Rocky Balboa.

This is the first time I’ve truly believed Sylvester Stallone as Rocky Balboa since the original film. Stallone is legitimately wonderful. It was hard to tell from the trailers if Stallone plays a big role in Creed or if it’s a glorified cameo, but Stallone is is a major presence in this film. Stallone himself directed Rocky II, Rocky III, Rocky IV, and Rocky Balboa. It’s amazing what happens when a talented director like Coogler is calling the shots: Coogler gets the best performance I’ve seen out of Stallone since… (I’m looking through Stallone’s filmography right now, trying to find something sort of recent as to not be too hyperbolic … still looking … still looking … okay, maybe Cop Land, let’s go with that instead of writing that it’s the original Rocky) …Cop Land. And before that, it’s probably the original Rocky.

(I’d be remiss if I didn’t mention the film’s score, which teases us with variations of the famous Rocky theme over and over. When the main theme finally kics in, it will make you want to do a fist pump. It’s timed perfectly.)

This plot point is revealed in the trailer, but if you want to be totally spoiler-free and haven’t seen the trailer, this is your warning: A big reason Creed works is the duality of two separate fights we see. Yes, we watch young Adonis try to make it as a boxer (Jordan, too, is excellent and should be considered a Best Actor contender), but Rocky is sick. And while Creed fights for his pride, Rocky fights for his life. There’s a true connection between these two men – an emotional connection that left me tearing up multiple times during the film’s last act. I did not expect to cry during what is essentially Rocky 7, but I did.

Jordan is great. Stallone is great. Tessa Thompson, a musician who plays Creed’s love interest, is great. Coogler nails every beat. Everything feels earned. Adonis Creed is fighting under the shadow of his father’s legacy. Creed is fighting against the legacy of the Rocky sequels. In the end, Creed is a true champion.

ok this has got me ready to run the streets and steps of Philly!

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:06 am 

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
This guy has this movie at Oscar-level quality -

Quote:
There is a single line of dialogue in "Creed," late in the film, delivered by Michael B. Jordan, where the entire film comes into focus, and in that moment, the movie absolutely broke me. Whatever I expected from what is, technically speaking, the seventh film in the "Rocky" series, it wasn't this, and I suspect that both Jordan and writer/director Ryan Coogler are going to be very busy once people see what they've done here. It is far better than it needs to be, far better than I expected it to be, and far better than any franchise deserves this far into it.

http://www.hitfix.com/motion-captured/review-michael-b-jordan-stands-tall-with-rockys-help-in-the-excellent-creed

This brings us to Creed, hands down the best Rocky movie since the original and a film that should legitimately be in the Academy Award conversation,

Yes, we watch young Adonis try to make it as a boxer (Jordan, too, is excellent and should be considered a Best Actor contender),

This is starting to make me think I can DVR watch the Bears when I get home

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:21 am 

I had no idea the original Rocky won Best Picture over Taxi Driver and Network. Those are two seminal works in film, and also two of my all time favorites. All the President's Men was okay I suppose. I found it tedious on my first viewing.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:38 pm 

Just watched the 2nd trailer

This will be the new standard in cinema. If it wins less than 5 Oscars the fix is in

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:02 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Just watched the 2nd trailer

This will be the new standard in cinema. If it wins less than 5 Oscars the fix is in

You better not be getting my hopes up, only to have them crash down. I am not watching any of the trailors or reading anything about it prior.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:22 pm 

Chickens are slowing down

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Cant wait

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:32 pm 

Oh and Avon fuckin Barksdale is his trainer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:22 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
AVON!! IT'S TOO MUCH NOW!!

CSFMB MANDATORY MEET-UP!!!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:46 am 

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
AVON!! IT'S TOO MUCH NOW!!

CSFMB MANDATORY MEET-UP!!!

Im seeing it on the first weekend for sure. Probably Black friday.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:48 am 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
I thought the last Rocky movie was very well done and I feel this will be too.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next