It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:23 am 

pizza_Place: Frozen
It's rare a host talks in depth about another stations show. I was surprised the call got through and it also appeared Waddle was suprised at the beginning. The caller asked s&w their take on OB, H& Koz non-stop blasting of the Bears from top to bottom after each game regardless of the outcome or teams performance. Waddle answered pretty honestly that it was too early to judge and disagreed with their approach. He said he personally is always judging the team. His hands were pretty much tied it appeared not wanting to stir up controversy with his former coworkers. His answer was a good 5 minutes reading in-between the lines he implied something stunk at wgn..

My guess is wgn told the show their future hangs on a thread and suggested they spice things up to come back next year. All 4 participants agree on everything which is a clue something's rotten. When OB & Doug were on the score sure they bitched a lot, but praised when it was due. OB & Doug talked from the heart and constantly disagreed. It's was great radio, not like this slop.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:36 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Waddle also said that he doesn't listen to or watch the other post game shows, so he can't really comment on what other people say.

Great thread.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:22 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Waddle also said that he doesn't listen to or watch the other post game shows, so he can't really comment on what other people say.

Great thread.

The caller said yesterday ob, hamp & koz. Waddle said I didn't hear what they had to say (yesterday). Then he went on about people comparing nagy to trestman, hot takes, not looking at the big picture.....for 5 minutes.
Nothing about not ever listening or watching other postgames shows in the 5 minute segment.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:39 am 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
I listened to them after the New England loss, and I thought OB was going to have a coronary. Seemed way more worked up than usual, and that's saying something.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:28 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
It's hard for me to believe that OB's over-the-top anger is genuine. The last several seasons that Bears have been terrible, so how can someone be absolutely LIVID week after week when everyone knows the team is bad? It doesn't make much sense and makes for bad radio.

God bless Hampton for being able to make a living on the radio despite having a rather pronounced speech impediment. I suppose I should be sympathetic to that but I'm not working in radio. He's a tough listen.

How Koz has managed to collect a paycheck all these years is a mystery to me. I don't think I have ever heard anyone, in person or on these forums, say "Hey, did you hear what Glen Kozlowski said?" in either a positive or negative light.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:32 am 

vitoscotti wrote:
Waddle answered pretty honestly that it was too early to judge and disagreed with their approach. He said he personally is always judging the team. His hands were pretty much tied it appeared not wanting to stir up controversy with his former coworkers. His answer was a good 5 minutes reading in-between the lines he implied something stunk at wgn..

Perfect Waddle/ESPN answer. Skate around saying your actual opinion for 5 minutes and then go to commercial. Coming up next after the break, "My wife or my radio partner".

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:42 am 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
Tad Queasy wrote:
God bless Hampton for being able to make a living on the radio despite having a rather pronounced speech impediment. I suppose I should be sympathetic to that but I'm not working in radio. He's a tough listen.

I guess I'm in the minority but I absolutely love Hampton--both the content and the delivery. Cracks me up every time.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:43 am 

pizza_Place: Pasaro's, St. Joe, MI.
Douchebag wrote:
vitoscotti wrote:
Waddle answered pretty honestly that it was too early to judge and disagreed with their approach. He said he personally is always judging the team. His hands were pretty much tied it appeared not wanting to stir up controversy with his former coworkers. His answer was a good 5 minutes reading in-between the lines he implied something stunk at wgn..

Perfect Waddle/ESPN answer. Skate around saying your actual opinion for 5 minutes and then go to commercial. Coming up next after the break, "My wife or my radio partner".

Well, what did you want him to say? Take the word of an anonymous caller as to what the other show said and get all fired up? Or, say right up front he had not heard the show in question and speak in generalities against the shock-radio fake anger stereotype? He's surely heard some of that from those guys and others. He was teammates with Koz and Hamp, right?

I never appreciated the OB post game show like most of you guys did, nor listening to Hub and the "Hub, I'm leaving the game now and have no other point" callers. The game coverage is long enough as it is, I don't need another two hours of bitch and moan.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:28 am 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
Tad Queasy wrote:
It's hard for me to believe that OB's over-the-top anger is genuine. The last several seasons that Bears have been terrible, so how can someone be absolutely LIVID week after week when everyone knows the team is bad? It doesn't make much sense and makes for bad radio.

How Koz has managed to collect a paycheck all these years is a mystery to me. I don't think I have ever heard anyone, in person or on these forums, say "Hey, did you hear what Glen Kozlowski said?" in either a positive or negative light.

This show just doesn’t work for me like the old Doug and OB Show did. I mostly blame Koz because I don’t think anything he does on the radio comes off as genuine. I’ve always thought his anger was just parroting Hampton and OB and wondered why they needed so many people in booth. Doug was just sooooo much better at this role than the others.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:31 am 

I think the caller fibbed to the screener about his subject. I actually like OB & hamp. Koz used to be the ultimate Bear's apologist, but he's done a revearal the last few years. Hamp is Les Jr putting his foot in his mouth.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:37 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Doug and OB had something special. We all remember the times they lost their shit, but consider that the Bears from 2006-2014 (when I listened) were in the long run a .500 team: there were just as many weeks where the Bears more or less handled their business and the postgame show was much more reserved while still having that Doug-and-OB chemistry. When I've listened to the WGN show, it feels like a conscious effort to recreate what everyone remembers Doug and OB to be, and it feels very hollow, like they're going through the motions and playing their parts as we expect them to. GRR! LINE STUNTS, DAMMIT! VARIOUS MALAPROPISMS!

There's also my feeling, and I don't know if anyone else picked up on it, that OB always had a darkness about him that Doug didn't have, and it feels more evident without his much more familiar and beloved partner.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:45 am 

Curious Hair wrote:
Doug and OB had something special. We all remember the times they lost their shit, but consider that the Bears from 2006-2014 (when I listened) were in the long run a .500 team: there were just as many weeks where the Bears more or less handled their business and the postgame show was much more reserved while still having that Doug-and-OB chemistry. When I've listened to the WGN show, it feels like a conscious effort to recreate what everyone remembers Doug and OB to be, and it feels very hollow, like they're going through the motions and playing their parts as we expect them to. GRR! LINE STUNTS, DAMMIT! VARIOUS MALAPROPISMS!

There's also my feeling, and I don't know if anyone else picked up on it, that OB always had a darkness about him that Doug didn't have, and it feels more evident without his much more familiar and beloved partner.

The score really misses Doug buffone and norm vanlier.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:50 am 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
Doug kept OB in check, OB knew that Doug would call him out on anything out of line.

OB has a lingering hatred of the McCaskey family that taints everything. No coach is ever good enough, for example.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:13 pm 

pizza_Place: aurelios
The postgame show for the Detroit game was better because Koz wasn't there. Four people, including the moderator is one too many and what's the point of each ex-Bear agreeing on everything? It also seems like it's "bully radio" where they attack Mark Carman for having a differing opinion than one of the overly-concussed blowhards; in fact, Koz seems to take more shots at Mark than anyone which could be funny or entertaining if done right but it just comes off as mean. I think the fake histrionics from Hamp and Doug are due to all the old-timers who"used to watch Doug play," calling in and saying they love their passion - which to them means screaming and yelling. Anyway, still better than Hub's postgame.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:45 pm 

rogar6 wrote:
The postgame show for the Detroit game was better because Koz wasn't there. Four people, including the moderator is one too many and what's the point of each ex-Bear agreeing on everything? It also seems like it's "bully radio" where they attack Mark Carman for having a differing opinion than one of the overly-concussed blowhards; in fact, Koz seems to take more shots at Mark than anyone which could be funny or entertaining if done right but it just comes off as mean. I think the fake histrionics from Hamp and Doug are due to all the old-timers who"used to watch Doug play," calling in and saying they love their passion - which to them means screaming and yelling. Anyway, still better than Hub's postgame.

Hub's post games provides some great analysis by three bright articulate guys. OB & Hamp is good for a comedy fix. Which is sad because it was a must listen when Doug was living and OB wasn't so wacko.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
Jaw Breaker wrote:
I guess I'm in the minority but I absolutely love Hampton--both the content and the delivery. Cracks me up every time.

I've always considered him to be the de facto cream-of-the-class, if you will.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:59 am 

pizza_Place: New Mexico has no good pizza. Send help.
[quote="Curious Hair"]Doug and OB had something special. We all remember the times they lost their shit, but consider that the Bears from 2006-2014 (when I listened) were in the long run a .500 team: there were just as many weeks where the Bears more or less handled their business and the postgame show was much more reserved while still having that Doug-and-OB chemistry. When I've listened to the WGN show, it feels like a conscious effort to recreate what everyone remembers Doug and OB to be, and it feels very hollow, like they're going through the motions and playing their parts as we expect them to. GRR! LINE STUNTS, DAMMIT! VARIOUS MALAPROPISMS!

THIS.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:09 pm 

vitoscotti wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

The score really misses Doug buffone and norm vanlier.

I still laugh at thinking about Norm's stories, especially the "I hit him with the smoother" one. :D